Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I ended up getting some AEW trading cards, but I want to buy the common singles I'm missing.

Is there a site like TCGPlayer but for sports cards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Venomous posted:

90% of Misawa's moves were elbows and he was still one of the greatest wrestlers of all time, so yes
I mean, one of the best and top rated New Japan Cup matches this year was literally just Suzuki and Hiromu gruesomely chopping the gently caress out of each other's chests for 20 minutes.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I just saw a clip from a Taker match in 1993 and JR calls his little top rope arm twist "Vintage Undertaker" so what the gently caress?
Vintage can also mean a signature of its particular time, or something high quality. Usually when talking about wine, but I guess in this context it would mean "a high quality move that is distinctly Taker's".

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is it just me or is Jeff Jarrett's strut identical to Beefcake's? Right down to the two fingers sticking out that I took to be scissors.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is it just me or is Jeff Jarrett's strut identical to Beefcake's? Right down to the two fingers sticking out that I took to be scissors.

They were both doing the Fargo strut

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Is that something Paul Bunyan did?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Cut down 6,000 trees and never drew a dime.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Jeff Jarrett is yet another of Ed Leslie's many characters. He's just REALLY method with that one.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Cut down 6,000 trees and never drew a dime.

on the subject of Jarrett is it really fair to say he broke 6,000 guitars and never drew a dime?

I didn't watch TNA and his reign of terror, but as a midcard/upper midcard heel he was fairly entertaining in both of his WWF runs and by the time he was doing Main Event WCW his run wasn't so bad considering the constraints WCW put on themselves. If you had a wrestling federation in the early or late 90's you could do a lot worse than have Jeff Jarrett being your midcard title heel.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Defenestrategy posted:

on the subject of Jarrett is it really fair to say he broke 6,000 guitars and never drew a dime?

I didn't watch TNA and his reign of terror, but as a midcard/upper midcard heel he was fairly entertaining in both of his WWF runs and by the time he was doing Main Event WCW his run wasn't so bad considering the constraints WCW put on themselves. If you had a wrestling federation in the early or late 90's you could do a lot worse than have Jeff Jarrett being your midcard title heel.

As a person who has enjoyed some of Jarrett's work over the years, I have never bought a ticket or paid for wrestling because of him. He was there, he could do some entertaining stuff from time to time, but he's not a ticket seller IMO.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Defenestrategy posted:

One of his WWF runs involved him being a country music star involved in one of the worst angles of all time, the second involved him failing completely until he hit upon a misogynistic character and then linked up with Owen Hart.

His WCW run was in fact that bad. What constraints are we talking about his run in WCW spanned 4 booking teams and he was bad with all of them.

He had some good matches in the mid 90s WWF run and then basically had nothing notable after that in the ring with some gimmick matches capping off at ***ish.

And then there is the fact that when he was on top he drew abysmally and put himself over people who had some hope of doing a little business.

In 97 WCW you couldn't do much worse than Jarrett as your US champion since your competition was either much better in the ring, much better on the mic or hilarious (Mongo.) His run that year is just some of the most boring poo poo imaginable.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

One of his WWF runs involved him being a country music star involved in one of the worst angles of all time, the second involved him failing completely until he hit upon a misogynistic character and then linked up with Owen Hart.

His WCW run was in fact that bad. What constraints are we talking about his run in WCW spanned 4 booking teams and he was bad with all of them.

He had some good matches in the mid 90s WWF run and then basically had nothing notable after that in the ring with some gimmick matches capping off at ***ish.

And then there is the fact that when he was on top he drew abysmally and put himself over people who had some hope of doing a little business.

In 97 WCW you couldn't do much worse than Jarrett as your US champion since your competition was either much better in the ring, much better on the mic or hilarious (Mongo.) His run that year is just some of the most boring poo poo imaginable.

there's been a concerted effort of Jeff Jarrett apologism in internet wrestling circles trying to convince people that he was a draw and a good wrestler

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Alaois posted:

there's been a concerted effort of Jeff Jarrett apologism in internet wrestling circles trying to convince people that he was a draw and a good wrestler

I at least understand why people try the good wrestler thing, he had good matches against Shawn Michaels and Hall. So people saw him have good matches and assumed, oh he's a good wrestler.

Then the next two decades happened and they never revised their thesis. Same for the "he was a great midcarder" or a great comedy guy. He had three very funny skits in TNA and lots of really, really bad ones.

Add in that he was a really bad person who hosed over a lot of people and it's pretty shameful people do this. Go pretend someone slightly less evil was secretly good.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I would have paid to not see Jeff Jarret tbh

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alaois posted:

I hear fascism is also coming back.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

titties posted:

This. Jeff Jarrett was warm dogshit, and a complete black hole of heat. When we did the Nitro rewatches in PSP-TV he consistently got go away heat as one of the worst parts of the show, even during the Russo era

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

titties posted:

Absolute same. His little angle with the Horsemen sucked. Also I could never believe in a thousand years Debra would live a prime cut of man like Mongo for Jeff fuckin' Jarrett.

Sinistar
May 8, 2004

I hunger.

titties posted:

Wherever Jeff Jarrett was on the card it always seemed too high.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I’ve heard he was an amazing baby face in USWA.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
There’s a brief period in 1996 where he comes back to WCW as a babyface and actually has a kind of fire to him, he’s pretty good. It’s an odd blip in his career.

Hammond Egger
Feb 20, 2011

by the sex ghost
When I first started watching TNA in that weird pre-Spike period there were consecutive episodes of Impact with Jarrett doing lengthy heel promos in the ring, the first week he said he was going to "break [someone]'s freaking neck" (which was Kurt Angle's catchphrase at the time) and the next week he said he was a "wrestling god" (which was JBL's catchphrase at the time). Like he was some bottom-tier indy guy trying to get heat by directly aping something he'd seen on the real wrestling shows, which is exactly the perception I have of Jeff Jarrett as a wrestler.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
JJ is exactly as good a wrestler as he needs to be to be the worst wrestler in the history of the world. Everything he did that was unique to him sucked, everything decent he did was robotically copied from better wrestlers. You know how bad movies will make corny references to Casablanca or have a character spout Shakespeare? Never remind people of a good movie in your bad movie.

If JJ were better, he'd be good, and if he were worse, he'd be funny. As it is he's a reminder of the impending heat death of the universe

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I’ve heard he was an amazing baby face in USWA.

He kinda was, in that he did all the generic Memphis babyface stuff pretty well and his ring work was consistent if not terribly exciting. But USWA was a small promotion filled with Memphis leftovers, and whenever he was in a bigger company with people who still gave a poo poo, his shortcomings were pretty obvious. I think his TNA stuff is pretty definitive proof that he sucked.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

MassRafTer posted:

One of his WWF runs involved him being a country music star involved in one of the worst angles of all time

What was this? I only remember The Roadie and the skit at the studio where the joke was that no one knew who he was.

Saul Goode posted:

When I first started watching TNA in that weird pre-Spike period there were consecutive episodes of Impact with Jarrett doing lengthy heel promos in the ring, the first week he said he was going to "break [someone]'s freaking neck" (which was Kurt Angle's catchphrase at the time) and the next week he said he was a "wrestling god" (which was JBL's catchphrase at the time). Like he was some bottom-tier indy guy trying to get heat by directly aping something he'd seen on the real wrestling shows, which is exactly the perception I have of Jeff Jarrett as a wrestler.

WE DON'T HIT WOMEN HERE IN WCW!!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What was this? I only remember The Roadie and the skit at the studio where the joke was that no one knew who he was.

WE DON'T HIT WOMEN HERE IN WCW!!

It's unfair to Jarrett but The Roadie doing the Real Double J storyline where he did all of those skits over who really sang the song and we got all of these videos that were basically setting up a feud even though Jarrett had walked out. It was a feud against no one. But it was so very bad and they did so many videos.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

MassRafTer posted:

It's unfair to Jarrett but The Roadie doing the Real Double J storyline where he did all of those skits over who really sang the song and we got all of these videos that were basically setting up a feud even though Jarrett had walked out. It was a feud against no one. But it was so very bad and they did so many videos.

When was this? I am pretty sure they both left after IYH2. I don’t recall Roadie sticking around after that. Jarrett returned at IYH5 and cut a kind of racist promo on Ahmed and then disappeared again a month later. Roadie returned in late 96 with “The Real Double J” gimmick and there were videos but Jarrett was long gone by then so there was no feud to build to.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CopywrightMMXI posted:

When was this? I am pretty sure they both left after IYH2. I don’t recall Roadie sticking around after that. Jarrett returned at IYH5 and cut a kind of racist promo on Ahmed and then disappeared again a month later. Roadie returned in late 96 with “The Real Double J” gimmick and there were videos but Jarrett was long gone by then so there was no feud to build to.

Like I said it was unfair to Jarrett (because he was gone.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
He was so bad on the mic you could smell his breath and a painfully mediocre wrestler, but he also wore the ugliest singlets in wrestling history and you can't take that away from him.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

He was so bad on the mic you could smell his breath and a painfully mediocre wrestler, but he also wore the ugliest singlets in wrestling history and you can't take that away from him.

What the hell even was that outfit? Such a weird get-up and if it was some joke from Vince to make him look like a dork, he just kept it when he went to WCW anyway. Just the strangest gear I've never seen anyone else wear before or since.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Jarrett v Raven may be the worst The Passion match in wrestling history.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I did a rewatch of all the Raws from 97 til 99 a few years ago and it's obvious Jeff Jarrett was one of the three blonde midcard guys (the other two being HHH and Billy Gunn) Vince was going to push to the moon after the summer.

Thank god Jarrett out-carny'd himself otherwise we might have ended up with Stephanie McMahon-Jarrett.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I did a rewatch of all the Raws from 97 til 99 a few years ago and it's obvious Jeff Jarrett was one of the three blonde midcard guys (the other two being HHH and Billy Gunn) Vince was going to push to the moon after the summer.

Thank god Jarrett out-carny'd himself otherwise we might have ended up with Stephanie McMahon-Jarrett.

Now this is some alternate wrestling history poo poo I'd love to see the result of. I need a device to let me see alternate timelines.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I typed up and deleted a post about this because I couldn't find the right words, but it boiled down to me feeling the exact same way about JJ in this era's intercontinental title/midcard picture as I did about HHH in the main event/world title picture - I just hated seeing them on my tv at all and, in the case if HHH especially, it was what drove me away from wrestling.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

I found Jarrett’s IC title reign in 1995 to be when that title really started to feel devalued. 1999 was the year the title went to complete poo poo but Jarrett’s 95 reign was the start of it. His lack of solid defences and that weird angle where it was held up after a match with Bob Holly really hurt the belt.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I found Jarrett’s IC title reign in 1995 to be when that title really started to feel devalued. 1999 was the year the title went to complete poo poo but Jarrett’s 95 reign was the start of it. His lack of solid defences and that weird angle where it was held up after a match with Bob Holly really hurt the belt.

And then they did the same thing a year later with Goldust and Savio Vega.

Russo loved his "held up" stories.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

CommonShore posted:

I typed up and deleted a post about this because I couldn't find the right words, but it boiled down to me feeling the exact same way about JJ in this era's intercontinental title/midcard picture as I did about HHH in the main event/world title picture - I just hated seeing them on my tv at all and, in the case if HHH especially, it was what drove me away from wrestling.
I always love piling on HHH hate so yeah, I agree completely. I definitely did like HHH at one point, which puts him ahead of JJ, but about the time we were finally free from Jarrett was when Haitch started the downward spiral of interestingness that gave us our collective traumatic memories of hearing HHH talk about how cool he was for 30 minutes at the start of every wrestling show

I also typed up and deleted a post unfairly calling Kip Sabian the Jeff Jarrett of AEW, as clearly he is very talented even if it felt like his character was "a wrestler"

I did very occasionally enjoy watching Jarrett get his rear end kicked, though, especially that squash where Christian should have won the... European? belt, which elevates him above, say, X-Factor

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Jeff Jarrett was an excellent worker.

But...

Fan opinion and wrestler opinion is split in someone unusual ways when it comes to him.

Ask fans who have seen his Memphis and Dallas babyface work from '86-'93, and they'll tell you he was great. He absolutely was: A guy who could do a more athletic version of the classic Memphis style. And when he had occasional babyface runs in TNA later, it was some of his most fun national promotion work to watch. But for fans, he didn't seem nearly as dynamic as a heel, even though he was a clearly an excellent worker who was a total pro in the ring.

Other wrestlers, including Jeff himself, tend to believe he was better as a heel, probably because he was so great to work with, always safe, etc, and using his experience in calling the match. And I get that from their POV.

But...

From a fan perspective, because he spent almost all of his time on national TV as a heel, he's often seen as much lesser than he was because, as a heel, what made him great was much more what wrestlers prioritize as great than what fans think is great. Not entirely dissimilar to Kane or 2002-2013 Triple H, I guess?

I hope that made sense.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

davidbix posted:

Jeff Jarrett was an excellent worker.

But...

Fan opinion and wrestler opinion is split in someone unusual ways when it comes to him.

Ask fans who have seen his Memphis and Dallas babyface work from '86-'93, and they'll tell you he was great. He absolutely was: A guy who could do a more athletic version of the classic Memphis style. And when he had occasional babyface runs in TNA later, it was some of his most fun national promotion work to watch. But for fans, he didn't seem nearly as dynamic as a heel, even though he was a clearly an excellent worker who was a total pro in the ring.

Other wrestlers, including Jeff himself, tend to believe he was better as a heel, probably because he was so great to work with, always safe, etc, and using his experience in calling the match. And I get that from their POV.

But...

From a fan perspective, because he spent almost all of his time on national TV as a heel, he's often seen as much lesser than he was because, as a heel, what made him great was much more what wrestlers prioritize as great than what fans think is great. Not entirely dissimilar to Kane or 2002-2013 Triple H, I guess?

I hope that made sense.

He was a really lovely worker because he didn't understand how to work matches people wanted to see. Not just structure, but his actual stuff looked extremely bad.

His "fun" babyface runs in TNA people talk about resulted in an extremely average match with Roode and just unrelenting garbage during the NWA-TNA period. It's not even defendable as fun, it's one of the reasons the promotion sabotaged itself. He was not a good babyface in that company.

There's a lot of wrestlers who look at him as a joke too so it's not exactly a universal consensus that he was great among them. He was a frequent punchline for people who had been through TNA on shoots.

Edit: I just remembered Jeff sucks so much at his job he managed to gently caress up his nostalgia run this year, which even relatively bad wrestlers manage not to gently caress up. Just an all time loser. (And a bad person)

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Mar 29, 2022

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Remember when he went back to the WWF and cut an awful promo about how Stone Cold was being blasphemous by saying Austin 3:16 and then Austin refused to work with him.

At least his Aztec Warrior theme was good. But that’s not Jarrett’s doing

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Jeff Jarrett was good exactly twice. His match with Shawn Michaels at In Your House, and when he was challenging children to MMA fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Today's AEW Dark was taped at Daily's Place instead of Universal Studios. When would they have done that? Like was it just a Dark taping that was sold as a mini-house show?