Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/DehennaDavison/status/1508444835937603589

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Nice username/post combo

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Can the wheel reward you with LSD, or is it just unpleasant illnesses?

Now I think about it (i.e. have second thoughts and frantically scan wikipedia) it's actually a different fungus I'm thinking of that specifically can grow on milled flour (as opposed to growing on the unmilled cereal as the one that causes ergotism does), but buggered if I can remember what it's called now.

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

Mega Comrade posted:

Any chance the dogs are barking while you are out?
There are various training techniques you can do to reduce barking (there are lots of videos about this on youtube), but if its when you are out of the house its difficult to stop completely. One thing I have heard that can work is for the neighbours to use a dog whistle whenever they start barking (once you have trained them to stop when they hear the whistle), sometimes even without the training the confusion of hearing the whistle but now knowing where it came from can stop the barking.

As for taking your dogs off you, that's more a threat to try and get you to take the complaint seriously, its pretty unlikely to happen unless you had an excessive amount of dogs. Fines however are a real possibility. If you go the training route it might be worth recording your sessions, so you can demonstrate to the council (or a court) that you are attempting to fix the issue, but might just need a little more time.

Thanks, I actually WFH on a telephony based occupation, so there is no barking at all during the day. They're really well behaved.

They bark in the morning, which is the only time they will make noise, and around 7am, which may be unpalatable to anyone trying to snooze. I'm up as soon as I hear it to let them out.

Thanks for the tips though - we recently took in a pup, and she's fairly vocal for her age (wouldn't say she was generating a appreciable amount of decibels) - so I'll be focusing on training her to be quiet. The other two are trained, Leon would bark at people approaching the house - but that's why I have him!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Anyone got any idea whether this increase in NI threshold by £3k means more lower paid people will not be getting NI contributions towards state pension made (whether actual contributions or 'ticks in the box' depending what their pay is.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got any idea whether this increase in NI threshold by £3k means more lower paid people will not be getting NI contributions towards state pension made (whether actual contributions or 'ticks in the box' depending what their pay is.

Sorry no, bit technical. Care to offer an opinion on will Smith versus Ronnie Corbett?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Reminder to order free LFTs while you can:

https://twitter.com/LFT_alert/status/1508519552895827983?s=20&t=kKvhYqLOl0uTUzwVynGdng

(assuming they're still in stock at time of message)

G1mby
Jun 8, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've read that the change in threshold doesn't impact that, but I can't find the article now I'm afraid.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

Reminder to order free LFTs while you can:

https://twitter.com/LFT_alert/status/1508519552895827983?s=20&t=kKvhYqLOl0uTUzwVynGdng

(assuming they're still in stock at time of message)

Thanks. For nothing! (None available).

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
As a response to the Will Smith thing. It is interesting that some people dont like seeing violence unless it has gone through an intermediary of some description,or how violence is only acceptable if its done by professionals.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

isn't that true though? violence is fine in certain mediums or if done by 'professionals', boxers or UFC fighters or HEMA folks or whatever. As long as you have consenting participants then have at it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

As a response to the Will Smith thing. It is interesting that some people dont like seeing violence unless it has gone through an intermediary of some description,or how violence is only acceptable if its done by professionals.

interesting that you can't just have an opinion rather obliquely critique other people's.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've been trying to stay out of actually offering a Take on The Slap but seeing as you won't stop hounding me

lol, lmao

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

did the sex arses ever make it out of calais?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

interesting that you can't just have an opinion rather obliquely critique other people's.

Oh no I do find it interesting. Personally I don't know how to feel about what the correct level of violence should be. But I just find it really interesting how the way in which we see violence and do not consider it as such can change when it is being done by "unalloyed" folks.

Like I personally do not know how to reconcile my distaste for warfare and the fact that I feel that violence can be used in a good way.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Hot Shots: Part Drei where Chris Rock and Will Smith play aging Desert Storm rival pilots who have to kill Putin before he can authorize a new tank design with no tractor hitch and ruin Joe Biden's July 4th gas barbecue.

Doctor Teeth posted:

did the sex arses ever make it out of calais?
They're playing Vegas in June.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The GBS oscars thread has a bit midway through where 2 or 3 people start getting into what leftists think of violence but for the most part the rest of the thread is thankfully just taking the piss out of them for the weird, unrelated tangent.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

The GBS oscars thread has a bit midway through where 2 or 3 people start getting into what leftists think of violence but for the most part the rest of the thread is thankfully just taking the piss out of them for the weird, unrelated tangent.

Eh, I don't think the thing matters as much as what people say when they talk about it. Take your meaning though.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Hey thread,

Does anyone have any experience dealing with a noise complaint?

Make your own recordings. A cheap nannycam/webcam with a mic, and store the recordings for 30 days. If there's another complaint, then hopefully you'll have the day recorded, but even if you don't you'll have an established pattern that your dogs don't bark (or you'll be horrified to find out they do, the moment you leave the house).

quote:

Slapfight

Rock was in the wrong for making a joke about someone's medical condition at an event that is supposed to be a celebration and not some edgy dark comedy roast special. Smith was in the wrong for deciding that smacking someone in the face was the most appropriate way to express his displeasure, and for treating Jada Pinkett Smith as though she was his property that had to be defended because she had no agency. And the Academy is in the wrong for suggesting they might remove Smith's Oscar because they sure as hell didn't previously have a problem with handing them out to physically and sexually abusive men.

Nobody deserves sympathy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lady Demelza posted:

Rock was in the wrong for making a joke about someone's medical condition at an event that is supposed to be a celebration and not some edgy dark comedy roast special. Smith was in the wrong for deciding that smacking someone in the face was the most appropriate way to express his displeasure, and for treating Jada Pinkett Smith as though she was his property that had to be defended because she had no agency. And the Academy is in the wrong for suggesting they might remove Smith's Oscar because they sure as hell didn't previously have a problem with handing them out to physically and sexually abusive men.

Alternately, everyone was in the right for making one of the few genuinely entertaining Oscar moments for the last couple of decades, and provoking some of the most hilarious hot takes I’ve ever seen on Twitter.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

When the council staff came to my door they advised that recordings had been made.

Ask for a copy of the recording and confirm that it's actually *your* dog.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah, its scary having someone turn up and say they're gonna take your dog so I get the hesitancy. But really wtf? Like where is your evidence, who the gently caress are you? Good luck loving proving any of this poo poo, get the gently caress out of here.

tell them a cat did it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

The thing that strikes me is that a lot of people seem to have a... strangely absolutist stance on it?

Like ultimately chris rock was talking poo poo about smith's wife and smith (presumably being fond of his wife) slapped him for it.

Which, to me seems fine? But a lot of people seem to be trying to wind it into an argument about violence by different people in different situations where I don't really think it applies? If I was talking poo poo about someone then getting a belt for it is just... in the range of things I think I should expect to happen? More severe violence I might take issue with but an ultimately harmless but shockling and presumably painful slap is like... ok fair enough I see your point.

Ultimately that seems like a fairly agreeable resolution to the situation? As you say presumably they would not have an issue with the cops arresting a guy which is significantly more violent, or the judicial system generally. Or even the implicit violence of power dynamics in society, but just a smack on the gob is very concerning? I dunno, between two adults and not as a part of like an established relationship dynamic I just don't know if I could really raise a coherent objection to it? It seems extraordinarily tame given the amount of violence in society and particularly the kinds of it you more commonly encounter? Honest, almost.

Like if someone was making fat jokes about my girlfriend I think that smacking them would probably be a good thing to do? Not necessarily the best thing but certainly not a bad thing, because I know those hurt her a lot and I also know people who make them won't stop without correction. That seems like an expedient form of correction, and better than just letting it slide? Why should other people have to suffer so that some rear end in a top hat can make jokes?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 28, 2022

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

I was so shocked the thought didn't cross my mind. Been kicking myself over it too.

They advised I would get a letter. I'm curious if that would have any actionable information on it. Just would be helpful to know where I can focus my efforts.

I've lived here eight years and it's the first noise complaint I've ever received.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

The thing that strikes me is that a lot of people seem to have a... strangely absolutist stance on it?

Like ultimately chris rock was talking poo poo about smith's wife and smith (presumably being fond of his wife) slapped him for it.

Which, to me seems fine? But a lot of people seem to be trying to wind it into an argument about violence by different people in different situations where I don't really think it applies? If I was talking poo poo about someone then getting a belt for it is just... in the range of things I think I should expect to happen? More severe violence I might take issue with but an ultimately harmless but shockling and presumably painful slap is like... ok fair enough I see your point.

Ultimately that seems like a fairly agreeable resolution to the situation? As you say presumably they would not have an issue with the cops arresting a guy which is significantly more violent, or the judicial system generally. Or even the implicit violence of power dynamics in society, but just a smack on the gob is very concerning? I dunno, between two adults and not as a part of like an established relationship dynamic I just don't know if I could really raise a coherent objection to it? It seems extraordinarily tame given the amount of violence in society and particularly the kinds of it you more commonly encounter? Honest, almost.

what if the other guy is much stronger and hits back?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I had a neighbour that played thumping loud music at night and getting them to shut the gently caress up and/or be kicked out (they refused the former, so ended up with the latter) was a herculean struggle required the combined efforts of several neighbours and endless pestering of the council. The idea that a council - even after proving you were the source of the noise - could even look at your dog let alone take it is beyond laughable to me. You are pretty much invulnerable so try not to worry about it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i can make my 4g security camera bark like a dog

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Like if someone was making fat jokes about my girlfriend I think that smacking them would probably be a good thing to do? Not necessarily the best thing but certainly not a bad thing, because I know those hurt her a lot and I also know people who make them won't stop without correction. That seems like an expedient form of correction, and better than just letting it slide? Why should other people have to suffer so that some rear end in a top hat can make jokes?

Does your girlfriend have no agency in this situation?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes she would probably be averse to me making a scene generally, but deferring to that would be an example of me putting the personal before the social, which while understandable I'm not sure I would really call "good"

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Dayum

quote:

A court has issued a warrant for two brothers, aged 12 and 13, accused of burgling some of London's top hotels.

The boys, who are too young to be publicly named, are suspected of raiding establishments including Claridge's in Mayfair and the Four Seasons in Park Lane.

The younger sibling is also accused of burgling the BBC Television Centre in White City and is said to have targeted other offices within the complex.

The 12-year-old faces 15 charges - 14 counts of burglary and one count of conspiracy to commit burglary between April 2021 and February 2022.

The other is charged with four counts - three of burglary between September 2021 and February 2022 and one of conspiring to commit burglary between the same dates as his brother.

Who among us can say they've achieved this much by that age

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I mean yes she would probably be averse to me making a scene generally, but deferring to that would be an example of me putting the personal before the social, which while understandable I'm not sure I would really call "good"

no mate its you overriding someonelses's agency with your desire to be in charge and do some violence because you most of all know best.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Men who hit other men to "defend" their wife/ girlfriend's honour generally see their partner as property and an extension of themselves. It's their own ego that's been hurt. They have chosen this woman as theirs, you criticise or disrespect that woman, therefore you're criticising their taste. The woman is never asked if she wants or needs defending, or even whether she wants to do so herself.

The Smiths have an open marriage, which weirdly means Will Smith is angry that his wife's name was in Chris Rick's mouth but would have been fine with her pussy in his mouth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean... yes that is entirely consistent, because one of those is a nice thing to do for somebody and one of them is not. I don't think being angry that people are cruel to people you like means you think you own them?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

no mate its you overriding someonelses's agency with your desire to be in charge and do some violence because you most of all know best.

Lady Demelza posted:

Men who hit other men to "defend" their wife/ girlfriend's honour generally see their partner as property and an extension of themselves. It's their own ego that's been hurt. They have chosen this woman as theirs, you criticise or disrespect that woman, therefore you're criticising their taste. The woman is never asked if she wants or needs defending, or even whether she wants to do so herself.

The Smiths have an open marriage, which weirdly means Will Smith is angry that his wife's name was in Chris Rick's mouth but would have been fine with her pussy in his mouth.

Yeah. That’s what I was getting at. I tried to nudge OwlFancier in that direction but it didn’t work, did it?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i dunno why will smith did what he did but owlfancier explained why he would do what he would do.

theres not even any owls involved ffs

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think some of you might be missing the context that Jayda has an auto-immune disease that's causing her hair loss and is the reason for the short haircut.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Tesseraction posted:

I think some of you might be missing the context that Jayda has an auto-immune disease that's causing her hair loss and is the reason for the short haircut.

Oh, so that’s why a man has to speak and act on her behalf.

(I do t think anyone has missed it, or that it affects the discussion much).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

what makes you think that?

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I think it's also interesting to consider that had it been The Rock instead of Chris Rock, Smith probably wouldn't have slapped him, IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

There's 'insulting someone's wife' and there's 'mocking someone's debilitating condition' and I think it's worth noting there's a difference there, even if the choice of Smith to choose violence isn't necessarily justified.

Acting like this is purely a 'my property' angle suggests that Smith could only be angry that his property was diminished rather than the emotional flash one might have when someone suffering from a horrible condition, that they empathise with on a daily basis, is made light of in front of a large audience.

Yes, he was not right to be violent, and yet it's simplistic to say that having an emotional reaction is of itself toxic.