Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

CBJSprague24 posted:

Back to Iron Eagle for a moment, but this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcb_Cf8SsI

...still SLAPS.

Also, I wonder now if killing off Doug Masters in the first few minutes of II was their way of admitting the first one was bad.

Lol this reminded me that they immediately killed off the kid hero from Iron Eagle 1 in the first ten minutes of Iron Eagle 2 and made the series strictly a Louis Gosset Jr. affair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

not caring here posted:

So Putin tried to poison an oligarch but ballsed it up and now he's hiding out in a bunker?

Oh yeah, they looking to give him the tokarev daydream.

Libyan enema.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

zoux posted:

Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could ingratiate themselves to the whole world for a fraction of their massive fortunes

I kinda wonder why they don't donate $50k to every major party candidate for congress each election cycle. Would be a rounding error line item and easy way to build up future subservience.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I kinda wonder why they don't donate $50k to every major party candidate for congress each election cycle. Would be a rounding error line item and easy way to build up future subservience.

Why do that when they already get all the benefits for free.

Eason the Fifth posted:

Lol this reminded me that they immediately killed off the kid hero from Iron Eagle 1 in the first ten minutes of Iron Eagle 2 and made the series strictly a Louis Gosset Jr. affair

I'm reading plot summaries now and the third one was about killing a Nazi captain running a South American drug cartel? With vintage WWII fighters???

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

From what is reported they weren't trying to assassinate anyone. It seems fairly reasonable to assume this was a very pointed warning to keep the lower tier of oligarchs in line. Especially given Zelensky says Abramovich was talking about moving money to Ukraine.

What in tarnation? Only just just kinda poison people?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

madeintaipei posted:

Libyan enema.

GADDAFIIIIIIII!

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
IiRC the bad guy in 3 is killed by a very large bell flung into the air due to an explosion and the bell happens to land on him. I might be misremembering a little because it was a long time ago and I was crazy sick with fever dreams that week. But I do remember the bell

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eason the Fifth posted:

IiRC the bad guy in 3 is killed by a very large bell flung into the air due to an explosion and the bell happens to land on him. I might be misremembering a little because it was a long time ago and I was crazy sick with fever dreams that week. But I do remember the bell

I think that was a mere henchman, here's how the foremost nazi bought it

quote:

Chappy and Horikoshi pursue the cargo aircraft. After sustaining heavy damage, Horikoshi's Mitsubishi Zero does a kamikaze run that destroys the cargo aircraft, killing himself and Simms. Kleiss arrives at the scene with a prototype Messerschmitt 263, shooting down Leichmann's aircraft. Chappy, however, outsmarts Kleiss with an inverted roll aided by booster rockets before destroying the prototype jet. Kleiss ejects from his jet and lands in the jungle, where he attempts to bribe Anna into taking the jeep behind her, only to be impaled by a spring-loaded Punji stick trap.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
:shuckyes:

Lol I also just learned that there is a direct to video iron eagle 4 where they bring the kid from 1 back and totally retcon his death

This series is even more amazing than I could have imagined

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

zoux posted:

Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could ingratiate themselves to the whole world for a fraction of their massive fortunes

Yeah, that's why I don't get the idiots who think they actually *care* about any aspect of "everyday life." Teslas are toys for the upper middle class and above that are purchased as social obligations because "it's weird if you don't have one if you're of a certain social strata" and ownership of one gives you :smug: power to dismiss all other wasteful aspects of your life. "Sure, we own five houses and constantly travel internationally, but *we own a Tesla*, so..."

As for Bezos, he's no longer in charge of Amazon anymore (:troll:), so don't look to him to use their massive logistics backbone for the betterment of society that needs it most - be sure to set your preferred charity on AmazonSmile then use the affiliate link!

Eason the Fifth posted:

:shuckyes:

Lol I also just learned that there is a direct to video iron eagle 4 where they bring the kid from 1 back and totally retcon his death

This series is even more amazing than I could have imagined

Yeah, I mentioned it earlier. It is *absolutely terrible*. "Aces" was at least entertainingly bad.

Crab Dad posted:

What in tarnation? Only just just kinda poison people?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2014/03/12/remember-when-an-ukrainian-presidential-candidate-fell-mysteriously-ill/

Sometimes you just want your enemies to look in the mirror every day and be reminded they never should've hosed with you.

You know, if you're an evil loving wannabe Bond villain.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 28, 2022

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"I am Death. Thou shalt die." :shepface:

Oh my god this is incredible

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CBJSprague24 posted:

Back to Iron Eagle for a moment, but this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZcb_Cf8SsI

...still SLAPS.

Also, I wonder now if killing off Doug Masters in the first few minutes of II was their way of admitting the first one was bad.

The first one was rad. The second one was rad. I have watched both movies in the last 4 years. I will take no questions at this time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How much flying is there in [i]Iron Eagle 4? I wouldn’t think you could do much on a DTV budget before CGI was relatively cheap. Unless DOD footed a bunch of the bill?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

How much flying is there in Iron Eagle 4? I wouldn’t think you could do much on a DTV budget before CGI was relatively cheap. Unless DOD footed a bunch of the bill?

They sure fly a lot of T-6s. It was also filmed in Canuckistan. The plot is also definitely NOT something the DoD would support. Remember that the first two were made in Israel.

They reuse a lot of footage from the first and second movies. It's really, *really* bad. Like, "did you really need the money, Chappie" bad.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Just gonna make a shout out to the crazy af French film FV put me onto, Sky Fighters.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Just gonna make a shout out to the crazy af French film FV put me onto, Sky Fighters.

Pardon, but the movie's name is Les Chevaliers du ciel. *Knights of the Air*. :colbert:

Movie's poo poo but the aerial cinematography is fuckin' :discourse:.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Movie's poo poo

:allbuttons:

Do the needful, FV

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They sure fly a lot of T-6s. It was also filmed in Canuckistan. The plot is also definitely NOT something the DoD would support. Remember that the first two were made in Israel.

They reuse a lot of footage from the first and second movies. It's really, *really* bad. Like, "did you really need the money, Chappie" bad.

I've never heard of these movies, thank you thread. Having a good :lol: now learning that Louis Gossett Jr won an Oscar for An Officer and a Gentleman and then immediately after he starred in Jaws 3-D and Iron Eagle.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bees everywhere posted:

I've never heard of these movies, thank you thread. Having a good :lol: now learning that Louis Gossett Jr won an Oscar for An Officer and a Gentleman and then immediately after he starred in Jaws 3-D and Iron Eagle.

Oscars don't pay the rent.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I feel like Clint doesn't get enough credit for his role in stealing the Mig-31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eUZ6D4rSk

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Eason the Fifth posted:

I remember seeing this movie in the theater, and the fact that they chose to unceremoniously change main characters was lost against my outrage that they decided that the most recognizably American Cold War jet was a good stand-in for MiG-29s.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

highme posted:

I feel like Clint doesn't get enough credit for his role in stealing the Mig-31
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-eUZ6D4rSk

So he's too low on fuel to do any evasive maneuvers, but he can climb from 20 feet to 20,000 feet in the span of what, 30 seconds?

Thats one hell of a plane.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Cimber posted:

So he's too low on fuel to do any evasive maneuvers, but he can climb from 20 feet to 20,000 feet in the span of what, 30 seconds?

Power of Positive Russian Thought

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cimber posted:

Who knew that russian vehicles running out of fuel has been a thing for 40years?

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

zoux posted:

Power of Positive Russian Thought

Oh yeah, I remember. The plane is voice controlled to make it easier apparently, which is why Clint is tapped to steal this. Apparently he's the only pilot in the USAF who can speak Russian.

Also, I wonder how good voice control would be when the pilot is pulling 7 Gees.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cimber posted:

Oh yeah, I remember. The plane is voice controlled to make it easier apparently, which is why Clint is tapped to steal this. Apparently he's the only pilot in the USAF who can speak Russian.

Also, I wonder how good voice control would be when the pilot is pulling 7 Gees.

Mind controlled, one of the most famous lines of that movie was "MUST THINK IN RUSSIAN"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SlowBloke posted:

Mind controlled, one of the most famous lines of that movie was "MUST THINK IN RUSSIAN"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky-uzsw0kqw

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If you love 80s action schlock and have a curiosity how it looked to the rest of the world, Wolf Warrior II is a Wild. Fuckin. Ride.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cimber posted:

Jesus, these Arsenal FC fans really go to extremes, don't they.

it wasn't poison

they fed him untampered British food

zoux posted:

elon musk with an actual army is scarrier than elon with a simp army

then again his simp army is more motivated than the armed one so gently caress it

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Alan Smithee posted:

it wasn't poison

they fed him untampered British food

What do you have against fish and chips and spotted dick?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Cimber posted:

What do you have against fish and chips and spotted dick?

Of all the bad British food choices you managed to pick two of the best.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I saw a can of spotted dick in the “international” aisle at my local grocery store and busted a gut laughing. What IS spotted dick? Morgan Freeman in a can?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s bread soaked in goo that has to be cooked for like an hour for some reason

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Please stop making fun of my eel pie by calling it spotted dick, it had a disease.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1508563718065504261?t=2nE5ZN42ptAlXzePkaU1ow&s=09

Not the best source, but still, if true I hope they all die horribly

https://twitter.com/CavasShips/status/1508568709719277569?t=J3QXM85dstXuiEdgiaFZkg&s=19

Also this.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 28, 2022

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

If it's a thousand dudes being sent into a shitshow that has already consumed a significant fraction of the initial 190k of the invasion force, that seems like a reasonably likely outcome.

Tangentially related: I do historical fencing and am in the process of getting into historical armored combat as a part of it. A lot of the equipment for armored combat gets made in Russia or Ukraine, and I had an order from a Ukrainian smith get stuck in limbo at the start of the invasion. I figured if I was lucky it would spend the conflict in their storage shed and get shipped out when Ukraine was accessible to international transport, and if I was unlucky their storage shed would get hit by a bomb and that'd be that for me. It entered the postal service in Kyiv today, which is just blowing my mind. I cannot imagine what kind of dedication someone has to have to be doing this kind of business in the middle of an active warzone.

(And just to be clear - I am absolutely not complaining that my supplier being invaded caused me moderate personal inconvenience. I am marveling at the perseverance of the Ukrainian people.)

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Voyager I posted:

If it's a thousand dudes being sent into a shitshow that has already consumed a significant fraction of the initial 190k of the invasion force, that seems like a reasonably likely outcome.

Tangentially related: I do historical fencing and am in the process of getting into historical armored combat as a part of it. A lot of the equipment for armored combat gets made in Russia or Ukraine, and I had an order from a Ukrainian smith get stuck in limbo at the start of the invasion. I figured if I was lucky it would spend the conflict in their storage shed and get shipped out when Ukraine was accessible to international transport, and if I was unlucky their storage shed would get hit by a bomb and that'd be that for me. It entered the postal service in Kyiv today, which is just blowing my mind. I cannot imagine what kind of dedication someone has to have to be doing this kind of business in the middle of an active warzone.

(And just to be clear - I am absolutely not complaining that my supplier being invaded caused me moderate personal inconvenience. I am marveling at the perseverance of the Ukrainian people.)

That's amazing.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Not sure if you're saying Nexta or the UK MoD is not the best source. Nexta has its issues, but I don't think it is going to get a screenshot of a MoD powerpoint wrong.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

EasilyConfused posted:

Not sure if you're saying Nexta or the UK MoD is not the best source. Nexta has its issues, but I don't think it is going to get a screenshot of a MoD powerpoint wrong.

I should have specified Nexta, but didn't dig around around to find the british mod source.

Also belated thanks, I'm dumb and have wine.

Pine Cone Jones fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Mar 28, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/DefenceHQ/status/1508542765436706828?s=20&t=elJJZ41qKbGL1NDWpRLzlA