Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

wolrah posted:

I do not have these issues with a similar config, but I keep the TV set to a different input and disabled in Windows when I'm not using it with my PC. Both of those things definitely could have an effect. I just moved so I don't have the TV hooked back up to my PC yet, but if I think about it I might test tonight.

Even disabled in windows (both in display settings>disconnect this display and in the Nvidia control panel having it unchecked) my monitors will still blink when the TV turns on. It's pretty annoying.

Rusty posted:

For what it's worth, in Windows 11, the windows do a pretty good job of sticking to their location when you get the flicker, but my main monitor still turns off and on when turning on the TV even when the TV is disabled as a monitor in windows.

Well there goes the one thing I would potentially upgrade for. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Is there any way to stop the pop-up menu from displaying every time I boot up an LG C1 to otherwise do something on a console I have hooked up to the TV?

Following up on this: there's a setting buried under General -> System -> Home that lets you disable the home pop-up menu from displaying when you turn on the TV.

Now I never have to interact with anything related to the home screen ever again. :toot:

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 24, 2022

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
The C1 home screen is such a step backwards and is total rear end

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MadFriarAvelyn posted:

Following up on this: there's a setting buried under General -> System -> Home that lets you disable the home pop-up menu from displaying when you turn on the TV.

Now I never have to interact with anything related to the home screen ever again. :toot:

This. With CEC I don’t have to interact with the tv menus like at all

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there a way to get a C1 to always launch to YouTube?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Is there a way to get a C1 to always launch to YouTube?
Sort of: you can set any app to a quick access button and then you can turn the tv on using that button to boot straight into the app.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TheLastManStanding posted:

Sort of: you can set any app to a quick access button and then you can turn the tv on using that button to boot straight into the app.

Ohhh I knew the first half but not the second half. Thanks!

Edit: That doesn’t seem to work. I have a few presets set, and no matter what I turn the tv on with it goes straight to my console in input 1

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 24, 2022

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Sorry for asking in this thread, but I'm having a weird soundbar problem with my TV.

LG C1, LG soundbar. Everything is synced and ran fine until just now, maybe 3 hours after I used it last.

The TV is not playing audio through the soundbar anymore. It's connected to eArc, it's set to it on the TV and soundbar, it's all just as it was three hours ago when it worked. Now, nothing. I've pulled all cables from all devices and plugged evening back in and at least now the soundbar power is synced with the TV but I'm still not getting any sound. Any ideas?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kingtheninja posted:

Sorry for asking in this thread, but I'm having a weird soundbar problem with my TV.

LG C1, LG soundbar. Everything is synced and ran fine until just now, maybe 3 hours after I used it last.

The TV is not playing audio through the soundbar anymore. It's connected to eArc, it's set to it on the TV and soundbar, it's all just as it was three hours ago when it worked. Now, nothing. I've pulled all cables from all devices and plugged evening back in and at least now the soundbar power is synced with the TV but I'm still not getting any sound. Any ideas?

Normally hitting the volume button turns
Mute off, but you may as well check that mute is off on both the tv and soundbar anyway.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Yeah tried that too. Internal speakers on the TV work fine, but the soundbar isn't putting out anything and the tv is giving me the "X" symbol when I try to turn up/down the volume during the hdmi arc setting. I'm going to swap the cable and see if that's the issue.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah tried that too. Internal speakers on the TV work fine, but the soundbar isn't putting out anything and the tv is giving me the "X" symbol when I try to turn up/down the volume during the hdmi arc setting. I'm going to swap the cable and see if that's the issue.

Sorry, can't help you there. The only time my tv speakers work and my soundbar doesn't is if the soundbar is turned off.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

That happens to me every few months. I get frustrated, disconnect and reconnect it multiple times, and then randomly it just starts working after 20 minutes or an hour. It's mystifying and annoying. So I guess just try being patient?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

Gave it a new hdmi cable, works now. Although before I think the soundbar setting was opt/hdmi and now it's reading as earc (I thought that's what it was already set at) but I'm not too worried since it's working!

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I've never shopped for a tv before and was looking at one of the Sony OLEDs, specifically the 77 inch A80J. Is burn in a major concern? The OP says to vary my media use but what does that entail? I'd use it to stream youtube stuff, play games on the ps4 pro with it and watch some bluray stuff I haven't opened yet. Would I be better off with an LED or whatever the newest LED is?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ryuga Death posted:

I've never shopped for a tv before and was looking at one of the Sony OLEDs, specifically the 77 inch A80J. Is burn in a major concern? The OP says to vary my media use but what does that entail? I'd use it to stream youtube stuff, play games on the ps4 pro with it and watch some bluray stuff I haven't opened yet. Would I be better off with an LED or whatever the newest LED is?

Get the TV and don’t worry about it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

You would see burn in if you ran the same channel with constant graphics and tickers in the same spots for many hours every day for months on end.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Take a look at rtings, they have really good reviews for TVs and they specifically run burn-in tests on OLEDs.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

And if the Switch OLED is any indication, panels from the last year or two can handle a good 3600 hours before anything becomes noticeable, and it doesn't include methods to prevent it beyond the usual screen dimming (which the one YouTuber disabled).

You can probably get five years or more easy at eight hours a day with all the features turned on and varied use with the new stuff.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Mar 31, 2022

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Mister Facetious posted:

And if the Switch OLED is any indication, panels from the last year or two can handle a good 3600 hours before anything becomes noticeable, and it doesn't include methods to prevent it beyond the usual screen dimming (which the one YouTuber disabled).

You can probably get five years or more easy at eight hours a day with all the features turned on and varied use with the new stuff.
To be fair, the switch isn't going to get as hot as a 77" but yeah unlikely to matter for a long time if you are not actively trying.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the replies. All the google'd results have a lot of scary comments from people saying they've had burn in on their oleds. Is the Sony A80J an alright oled tv or should I be looking for something else or waiting?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Sony OLEDs are slightly better for movies, LG OLEDs slightly better for gaming.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Sony OLEDs are slightly better for movies, LG OLEDs slightly better for gaming.

I plan to use the tv for a combination of watching youtube, playing games on my consoles (most likely just the ps4 pro for now), and watching my regular bluray stuff (I don't have any 4k blurays) on the same console.

Should this alone make me switch over to the LG brand? What makes the Sony better for movies and the LGs better for gaming?

Also, what is a comparable LG oled model to the A80J?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Ryuga Death posted:

I plan to use the tv for a combination of watching youtube, playing games on my consoles (most likely just the ps4 pro for now), and watching my regular bluray stuff (I don't have any 4k blurays) on the same console.

Should this alone make me switch over to the LG brand? What makes the Sony better for movies and the LGs better for gaming?

Also, what is a comparable LG oled model to the A80J?

The differences for gaming are minimal at this point now that Sony has updated its firmware to include VRR. LG has more HDMI 2.1 ports and a logo dimming feature that you can turn off, as opposed to Sony’s non-defeatable full screen dimming when it detects bright static screen elements. I don’t think it’s a problem for most, but certain sports games seem to create a distracting amount of screen dimming on Sony’s OLEDs.

The LG C1 is the model equivalent to the A80J.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm soon to be buying a TV for the first time in more than 10 years.

What I want:

- 75" or thereabouts - I'd go for 65" if it was otherwise perfect and within budget
- <£1800 or £2000 at a push
- HDR of some sort, read the OP on this but can't say I fully understood it
- Ideally get it from Costco

What I don't know:

- It's going to be used almost exclusively for stuff via Plex - I currently use Chromecast for this, do modern TVs come with this built in? I'd planned to get the 'Chromecast with Google TV' since it seems like it's the only 4K option.

- What brand. I don't want to get a Samsung TV - I've had some really bad dealings with them recently which has entirely put me off buying anything from them for a while yet. I also saw articles about the adverts they put in the UI.

- Do I need some sort of OLED? Is it far and away better than alternatives? One consideration is my partner has a habit of leaving the TV on, either for the dog or because she's forgotten to turn it off - often with still images on. Honestly I don't think this is a behaviour I'll be able to address.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Just realized there was a 2020 update for my 2019 tcl that gave it VRR and eARC.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

BonoMan posted:

Just realized there was a 2020 update for my 2019 tcl that gave it VRR and eARC.

That’s dope. I was pleasantly surprised when my 2018 one got Airplay via an update years later.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm soon to be buying a TV for the first time in more than 10 years.

What I want:

- 75" or thereabouts - I'd go for 65" if it was otherwise perfect and within budget
- <£1800 or £2000 at a push
- HDR of some sort, read the OP on this but can't say I fully understood it
- Ideally get it from Costco

What I don't know:

- It's going to be used almost exclusively for stuff via Plex - I currently use Chromecast for this, do modern TVs come with this built in? I'd planned to get the 'Chromecast with Google TV' since it seems like it's the only 4K option.

- What brand. I don't want to get a Samsung TV - I've had some really bad dealings with them recently which has entirely put me off buying anything from them for a while yet. I also saw articles about the adverts they put in the UI.

- Do I need some sort of OLED? Is it far and away better than alternatives? One consideration is my partner has a habit of leaving the TV on, either for the dog or because she's forgotten to turn it off - often with still images on. Honestly I don't think this is a behaviour I'll be able to address.

There's no reason to consider a Samsung TV and hasn't been for some years

OLED is the best picture you'll get. Given your situation with your partner I'd be weary though, but others here will tell you burn in isn't much of a
concern anymore.

You'll want an Android based TV for casting, but Roku has a Plex app. Overall I'd pick Android, more robust and full featured but can be buggy, such is it's nature.

TCL is great on a budget, but yours is generous so you may want to check into whatever Sony's best non OLED offering is. Rtings.com is your review bible

GET THE WARRANTY FROM COSTCO

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

codo27 posted:

There's no reason to consider a Samsung TV and hasn't been for some years

OLED is the best picture you'll get. Given your situation with your partner I'd be weary though, but others here will tell you burn in isn't much of a
concern anymore.

You'll want an Android based TV for casting, but Roku has a Plex app. Overall I'd pick Android, more robust and full featured but can be buggy, such is it's nature.

TCL is great on a budget, but yours is generous so you may want to check into whatever Sony's best non OLED offering is. Rtings.com is your review bible

GET THE WARRANTY FROM COSTCO

Thank you, this is really helpful. All the stuff I'd looked up in terms of reviews including those on rtings.com mentioned specific models which I didn't see available on either Costco or AO websites so this general guidance is just what I need.

Like I say I'm coming from a TV that's more than 10 years old so not getting the absolute best picture from OLED is worth it if the thing lasts longer as a result.

If TCL is decent enough then that's what I'll go for - no need to spend more just because I can. I will get this one, since my googling suggests QLED is not the same as OLED - right? By spending so much less I can get another for the bedroom too.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Yes they're different. QLED is a LED tv that uses quantum dots. OLED is an entirely different type of display.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is the info from the OP about the Geek Squad warranty still accurate? If I were to get the Sony A80J, I'd most likely get it from Best Buy so should I get the extra warranty?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is it available from Costco? Their warranty is significantly cheaper than bbs

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Last I checked the Costco warranty doesn't cover Burn In for OLED.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Last I checked the Costco warranty doesn't cover Burn In for OLED.

Oh no the screen cracked and the whole thing needs to be replaced

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Weird request - any idea what's the dimmest ~40" android TV I can get for a bedroom? The least brightest thing possible. $500USD budget.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Aware posted:

Weird request - any idea what's the dimmest ~40" android TV I can get for a bedroom? The least brightest thing possible. $500USD budget.

Turn the brightness down on whatever tv you get.

I have a TCL and it even has a dim mode, even though it’s fully capable of hdr and being bright.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ultimate Mango posted:

Oh no the screen cracked and the whole thing needs to be replaced
Ooh good ide--

:thumbsup:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In the history of this thread, one single dude got horribly unlucky with OLED screen burn and that’s it.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

Ooh good ide--

It cracked all by itself. I didn’t even touch it. Prove me wrong.

I mean I’ve seen people return christmas trees mid January. This can’t be that hard.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Ooh good ide--

"We only cover the circuit board failing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some initial impressions are coming out for the Sony A95K (QD OLED) and it appears to come with the same limitation as the Alienware monitor where blacks tend to look grey in bright environments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVgUosc-64U&t=230s