Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Bruceski posted:

You know the boss you're tanking has a cleave tankbuster. Suddenly, you notice that the sprout black mage has planted their leylines right behind you. Do you:

A) say something
B) swivel the boss
C) AFK to try and make some quick popcorn

were you the black mage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I did my first savage raiding as Black Mage this weekend… it was pretty exhilarating! Pulled off lots of cool Aetherial Manipulation tricks if I do say so myself. And I didn’t die that much either!!

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Sanguinia posted:

Chapter 71: Written In The Stars
Third Heaven is accessed through The Spire, a great tower of clockwork technology. It was built by the God of Crafting as (apparently) a gigantic troll against Rhalgr, who spends all his time throwing lightning bolts at the thing trying to tear it down only for the tower to absorb the energy and work even better than before. No wonder Little Ala Mhigo is such a hole, their patron deity is getting constantly owned on this spot.

i asked this in the let's play thread but will bring it here too since we can bring in later expansion reveals. Are there any implications, lore or otherwise, that the spire constellation design is clearly the crystal tower getting powered up by dalamud?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

i asked this in the let's play thread but will bring it here too since we can bring in later expansion reveals. Are there any implications, lore or otherwise, that the spire constellation design is clearly the crystal tower getting powered up by dalamud?

It's been a while since I did the AST questline, but I believe they mention that Dalamud was taken as a significant celestial object and used in astrology for centuries before anyone had a clue what it actually was. It could be related to that, or it could just be a weird coincidence.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
FF14's encounter design is so bland compared to WoW's that they could honestly just do what WoW does in normal dungeon trash packs by having the mobs do more than autoattack and sometimes cast an aoe and it would probably enough to offer a fresh experience that they could call a hard mode. Although classes don't really have any utility so they might be limited in what they can do for a group of 4 people.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Another CJ post, made with care and attention to include the dumbest of takes

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Trash mobs do lots of aoes of all shapes and sizes, not just on occasion, and even interruptables or buff-allies-until-I-die mobs appear fairly regularly

I was a fan of the marker AOEs that the dragoon enemies in a Shadowbringers dungeon pull out

It's not partiularly deep but it's there

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

please stop replying to cj posts

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

i like the smileton trash donut aoes :shobon:

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

It was probably Allagans who decided that's what the constellation looked like and that knowledge survived to today.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

CJ posted:

FF14's encounter design is so bland compared to WoW's that they could honestly just do what WoW does in normal dungeon trash packs by having the mobs do more than autoattack and sometimes cast an aoe and it would probably enough to offer a fresh experience that they could call a hard mode. Although classes don't really have any utility so they might be limited in what they can do for a group of 4 people.

Turn your monitor on.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Nessus posted:

So you were able to successfully get a retainer onto Reaper?

If I understand it, the sequence of events is

1. Grind it up to 50/60/(70? 80?) in some job or other - will Miner work?
2. Use the change job interface -- this part I am a little unclear about because I stripped off all the gear and clicked "change class" but did not see an option to change to a job, though it's possible I had no copy of Modern Vocate when I tried this
3. select new job, re-dress the retainer

I did have the retainer up to like in the 60s once when I tried step 2, but I don't remember if I had Modern Vocations on hand or not.

Has to be a combat class to level 70 for reaper. I don't remember the exact process for it because I did it a couple of months ago but I had to reset from sam down to a base class (I picked rogue) and then relevel that to 70 to make it a reaper. There should be an assign the retainer a job button somewhere, maybe under change class. I should also note that when you change the job, it resets the retainer back to level 1 so I had to level my dumb reaper nerd from 1 to... 88 or 89 I think they are now.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

Has to be a combat class to level 70 for reaper. I don't remember the exact process for it because I did it a couple of months ago but I had to reset from sam down to a base class (I picked rogue) and then relevel that to 70 to make it a reaper. There should be an assign the retainer a job button somewhere, maybe under change class. I should also note that when you change the job, it resets the retainer back to level 1 so I had to level my dumb reaper nerd from 1 to... 88 or 89 I think they are now.

How does this even work with gear? Do reaper weapons even exist pre 70?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Warmachine posted:

How does this even work with gear? Do reaper weapons even exist pre 70?

I actually think I am misremembering because yeah, reaper weapons don't exist at all levels. Must have gone from 70 rogue to 70 reaper when I used the vocation.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Lottery explainer is up!

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lode...paign=na_topics

Here's hoping while the masses are in Ishgard trying to ring out a plot, some backwards ward of the forest will have less competition!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Lottery explainer is up!

Here's hoping while the masses are in Ishgard trying to ring out a plot, some backwards ward of the forest will have less competition!

Kinda wish there was a global "Hey I'll take anything available" lottery, but presumably the week-long period should help with the need to find empty plots. It's just that initial land rush that will be awful. At least you can see how many people are in that lottery, though again an "open lotteries" that you could sort by participants would be great.

I just want my little cottage I don't need it to be in the best Ishgardian school district.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RME posted:

were you the black mage

God no. I screw up enough as a job that can move.

Also in that run (4.3 trial): the whole party dutifully lines up on a stack marker, waits for it to go off, and then died to doom because they'd never left the dark side of the moon. Four of them were newbies, I don't blame those folks. The other two (two of us lived)...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Lottery explainer is up!

I've got my eyes on a place in the Goblet. My guildies have the whole corner except for one, I have to be a whole block away. It's a nice house, can't fault the guy for living there, but I'm still willing him to move.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Do we know what housing costs are per plot size, with decay ended?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Probably just the default pricing based on plot quality.

Default pricing:

Small 3,000,000 3,187,500 3,375,000 3,562,500 3,750,000
Medium 16,000,000 17,000,000 18,000,000 19,000,000 20,000,000
Large 40,000,000 42,500,000 45,000,000 47,500,000 50,000,000

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Lottery explainer is up!

I am hoping to get a plot in Ishgard but I won't be too disappointed if I don't. I've got a couple of plots in mind and I guess it's just a matter of finding the ward with the least competition for them. The thing I like about this system is there isn't a 4 a.m. rush to snag a plot but having to wait several days to find out if you've won or lost really slows things down. Beats endlessly clicking on a placard, though.

I very much doubt there will be a second cycle after plots open up I assume every single one will be taken after the first set of lotteries resolve, but I suppose there may be some winners who don't build in the four days they have and lose their plot.

Bruceski posted:

Do we know what housing costs are per plot size, with decay ended?

The first ward of Empyreum is open for viewing and you can see the prices for every plot at the Ishgard Aetheryte.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Default pricing:

Huh, I thought larges hit 100m+

did they adjust the rates at some point?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Legacy servers initially had houses that expensive, if I recall, but the prices normalized quite a while ago.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Legacy servers initially had houses that expensive, if I recall, but the prices normalized quite a while ago.

hmmm

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Default pricing:

I didn't know plot quality was a thing. That explains the different numbers I was seeing (even accounting for decay)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Default pricing:

TIL that even after making nearly 1M gil at expansion launch selling crafting materials I am still less than halfway to affording the cheapest plot. :(

And the island sanctuary is like a year away, so I cant even have that as a substitute.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

You need another like 500k on top of the lot price to build the house as well and you have to do it within a month or you lose the plot btw.

I’ve found that rather than waiting for a gold rush, I’ve made more by sending my retainers on Quick Explorations and Greeding everything during roulettes, desynthing everything, and selling it all on the MB. It’s less dramatic numbers, but it’s more consistent and doesn’t use a lot of your own personal time.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

And the island sanctuary is like a year away, so I cant even have that as a substitute.

Not quite a year, more like 5-6 months, it's launching in 6.2

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

hazardousmouse posted:

there's a lot of speculation you can make in this space but any solid answers on anything Twelve related will probably start in 6.1 and won't fully come out until 6.5

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

my returns always come in during the optional content. I've made gangbusters selling eurekan and bozjan fragments and then spent it all on glamours I used once

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

TheWorldsaStage posted:

Lottery explainer is up!

I remember reading that you can only be in one lotto at a time, but I didn't see that in this update.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SirPhoebos posted:

I remember reading that you can only be in one lotto at a time, but I didn't see that in this update.

Characters who fulfill the requirements below are eligible to submit one lottery entry per lottery period.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Hoping this opens up a small plot in the goblet after the great Ishgard land rush gets underway

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Just finished the Little Ladies' Day quest (have been putting FFXIV for a while) and lol at how they're clearly choosing where to put resources, that was barely even a sidequest. It's funny how the repeatable quests have had the bulk of fun writing on seasonal events lately.

Also open shirt Godbert is somehow even more overpowering than shirtless Godbert.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Just finished the Little Ladies' Day quest (have been putting FFXIV for a while) and lol at how they're clearly choosing where to put resources, that was barely even a sidequest. It's funny how the repeatable quests have had the bulk of fun writing on seasonal events lately.

Also open shirt Godbert is somehow even more overpowering than shirtless Godbert.

"So we can just dress up these four guys?"
"Four? I see five. Do you have _____?"
"Not on this alt, no."
"Oh this is gonna be GOOD!"

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, are there repeatable quests for the event? I did it, saw some mention of other stuff related to it when I completed the quest, but I didn’t see anything immediately obvious.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, are there repeatable quests for the event? I did it, saw some mention of other stuff related to it when I completed the quest, but I didn’t see anything immediately obvious.

Just to the right of the stage. You just get confetti but they're cute.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I know everyone loves Godbert, but I liked Wedge the best.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Great, I'm gonna spend like an hour tonight dressing up NPCs, I can feel it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I need to check if both options give the same outfit. I assume so.