Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The song was fine the constant cuts to the choreographed dances was lame. And they forgot Norm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Posters should unironically be banned for pro-violence women-as-property takes like this imo

lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Xander B Coolridge posted:

"I'm going to" is exactly the kind of weird, threatened, non-response you get from someone who's in shock and trying to deescalate. His brain was still resetting.

V funny

I was referring to this little bit lmao (timestamped 1m22s):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKl9xPROmaE&t=82s

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Codependent Poster posted:

Will Smith made this a million times worse for himself in that everyone would've forgotten the joke in 5 seconds but now everyone is gonna be making fun of him and Jada.

All he had to do was wait until the afterparty to slap Chris Rock.

This is the correct take. Will Smith has an army of publicists and "opinion makers" ready to jump to Jada's defense and ruin Chris Rock's remaining career if he makes the call. Sit there, shut up, move on. You're sitting in the front row my man. Jack Nicholson got 3 decades of jokes about alcohol/drug use and didn't give a single poo poo publicly.

Also, you and your wife are both famous and rich as hell for playing glorified pretend. Get some humility.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
You either die a cuck, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

This is the correct take. Will Smith has an army of publicists and "opinion makers" ready to jump to Jada's defense and ruin Chris Rock's remaining career if he makes the call. Sit there, shut up, move on. You're sitting in the front row my man. Jack Nicholson got 3 decades of jokes about alcohol/drug use and didn't give a single poo poo publicly.

Also, you and your wife are both famous and rich as hell for playing glorified pretend. Get some humility.

Being rich and famous doesn't mean you're exempt from emotional trauma. Also, have you considered that if there were no slap, there would be no will smith/chris rock jojo memes?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Last Duel, d. Ridley Scott (2021)

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

It is literally impossible for someone who's been a multimillionaire international celebrity since they were a teen to be humble

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Jack Nicholson shouldn't have had to out up with that. The whole idea of roasting needs to get in the bin.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Wolfsheim posted:

It is literally impossible for someone who's been a multimillionaire international celebrity since they were a teen to be humble

All the more reason he deserves the poo poo thrown at him. Time to learn how to act like a loving adult.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Basebf555 posted:

The slap itself I understand, like in a vacuum I get that sometimes you have to slap somebody.

The part I'm having a hard time with is how meticulous and calculated Will Smith has been for 25+ years in building himself and his career up to that moment, and then to do that when you're on the doorstep of the crowning achievement you've worked so hard for. It's just bizarre that it happened on that night, at that moment.

Reminds me of Zidane at the World Cup

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Everyone else who had to participate in the Oscars on any level is lucky this happened because it made it so no one noticed what an absolute goddamn disaster it was otherwise. In like the first 15 minutes of this three hour ceremony one of the hosts was forced to do an incredibly cringeworthy bit where she lined up a bunch of dudes on the stage to talk about how badly she wants to gently caress them, mentioned the star of Euphoria and added "He's legal.", and then proceeded to grope the next two presenters who came out. And the bit went on for soooo long. I'm not even going to specify, because why bother, but Amy Schumer. Total loving shitshow.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Hmm, what's one of the few things that Smith's money can't fix? Jada's messed up hair? That's what I'll hit 'em on, then! Really put them in their - OOF

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Posters should unironically be banned for pro-violence women-as-property takes like this imo

If I smack someone for disrespecting my sister/mother, am I also participating in pro-violence, women-as-property behavior?

CPL593H posted:

Everyone else who had to participate in the Oscars on any level is lucky this happened because it made it so no one noticed what an absolute goddamn disaster it was otherwise. In like the first 15 minutes of this three hour ceremony one of the hosts was forced to do an incredibly cringeworthy bit where she lined up a bunch of dudes on the stage to talk about how badly she wants to gently caress them, mentioned the star of Euphoria and added "He's legal.", and then proceeded to grope the next two presenters who came out. And the bit went on for soooo long. I'm not even going to specify, because why bother, but Amy Schumer. Total loving shitshow.

Well Schumer is terrible, so that's just to be expected.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

CPL593H posted:

Regina Hall was doing the groping. Amy Schumer was there to embarrass herself in other ways. Woe be to poor Wanda Sykes.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Has woke culture finally gone too far??

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Pook Good Mook posted:

All the more reason he deserves the poo poo thrown at him. Time to learn how to act like a loving adult.

He got a bunch of celebs coming over to cheer him up immediately afterwards then won the biggest award of his career to a standing ovation so probably not, though the fact that he made it so Jada bald jokes will be en vogue for years is pretty funny

And that's not even getting into whatever number scientology did on him!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

hatty posted:

I'm more mad about how bad the memorial section was than the slap. I don't want to see people dancing I want the see the dead people!

I thought it was really bizarre that they made the memorial segment into an awkward high school choir routine. People coming out to talk about some of the deceased was a nice touch and they should have something more like that.

Wittgen posted:

They shouldn't take the Oscar away but they should give him a statue in a slapping pose and insist that the statuettes always be displayed together.

His punishment should be hosting an Academy Awards ceremony.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Will Smith should have his Oscar taken away

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Wait, he got best actor, not least amount of slapping Chris Rock. Never mind.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Wittgen posted:

They shouldn't take the Oscar away but they should give him a statue in a slapping pose and insist that the statuettes always be displayed together.

This is very very funny btw!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I didn't watch the Oscars, yet via cultural osmosis I was forced to learn about the slap heard round the world.

Except it kind of seems like not a big deal at all? Chris Rock made a lovely joke about Will Smith's wife, Will Smith got justifiably pissed off and slapped (not punched, slapped) Chris Rock and told him to shut the gently caress up, and that's it. End of story.

"Man momentarily loses emotional control in a very minor way after another man unintentionally makes a verbal comment that goes to far" isn't exactly a world changing event.

The thing is, it's THE OSCARS! WHEN HOLLYWOOD COMES OUT TO PARTY! It's supposed to be the most "glitz and glam" night of the year for Hollywood. Someone walking up and slapping someone else during it just isn't "supposed to happen". Which is dumb, but also why it's so shocking to people. The nice, pretty people of Hollywood got dressed up all fancy, and then one of them smacked another one of them on stage. Like, he got out of the audience, up on stage, and just smacked him. Which is not, sorry for borrowing a phrase, "part of the plan".

As someone else said, if this had happened at the after party, and we heard stories about it, maybe even seen a sort of blurry video that we were still pretty drat sure was Will Smith and Chris Rock, no one would care. "Oh, looks like Smith and Rock got into it at the after party because of that joke. That's kinda funny." And then that's it. But instead it broke the rules. It happened during the big event, when everyone is supposed to be jerking each other off, but in a fancy, clean way.

Whatever you think of the use of violence, the way it was done is kind of amazing, because it brought the entertainment world to a halt.

fake edit: It's like the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake Super Bowl thing. Sure, we've all seen someone topless before. But how it happened is what's making everyone lose their minds. You can't just remove context like that.

real edit:

Eric Cantonese posted:

If they take his Oscar away, do they give it to the second place vote winner? Is there ranked choice voting? A do-over?

It doesn't matter. They're not taking his Oscar away. Anyone suggesting this has gone insane.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 28, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
ill take the oscar

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
as a punishment Will Smith's Oscar will be converted into a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

ill take the oscar

Good luck getting it from him

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The biggest tragedy here is that no one has ever bitch slapped Ricky Gervais at an awards ceremony.

VROOM VROOM posted:

as a punishment Will Smith's Oscar will be converted into a Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robot

That's not a punishment at all that loving rules.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

LesterGroans posted:

Good luck getting it from him

i will zone will smith with hadoukens so he wont slap me

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

Wolfsheim posted:

He got a bunch of celebs coming over to cheer him up immediately afterwards

I don't actually know if this is what happened - seemed much more like Denzel was trying to get him to calm down than to "cheer him up," like, that line about the devil coming for you was about how he needed to resist the temptation to go crazy, right?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i will zone will smith with hadoukens so he wont slap me

Why zone when you know what the attack animation looks like now. Just parry the slap.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Remake that that lovely show The Slap but instead of a guy whacking someone's annoying kid at a barbecue it's a bunch of rich people pageantry getting ruined when some guy gets called on his bullshit and someone smacks him in the face.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

teagone posted:

Why zone when you know what the attack animation looks like now. Just parry the slap.

These things are easy to say — like Daigo's parry, it's another thing entirely to actually execute in the heat of the moment.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Wait, the slap was real? When I heard about it I just assumed it was staged

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
People are enjoying the slap because it delivers a little bit of frisson in their otherwise boring rear end lives

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

KVeezy3 posted:

These things are easy to say — like Daigo's parry, it's another thing entirely to actually execute in the heat of the moment.

Chris intentionally failed the QTE because that is actually faster in any%

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's what he gets for taunting in the middle of a match.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Colonel Whitey posted:

People are enjoying the slap because it delivers a little bit of frisson in their otherwise boring rear end lives

Also it allows a bunch of white entertainment/creatives (usually white woman) to be racist and pretend it’s about being anti violence.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

KVeezy3 posted:

If I smack someone for disrespecting my sister/mother, am I also participating in pro-violence, women-as-property behavior?

Yes

CPL593H posted:

Remake that that lovely show The Slap but instead of a guy whacking someone's annoying kid at a barbecue it's a bunch of rich people pageantry getting ruined when some guy gets called on his bullshit and someone smacks him in the face.

The original book this show is based on is actually pretty good. It's very specific to Australian multicultural suburbiana though specifically Melbourne in a way that didn't translate well to being Americanised

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Mar 28, 2022

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you’d also smack someone for disrespecting your father and brother you’re probably gucci

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

All the posters doing the fighting games thing: y'all are great and putting a smile on my face. Each and every one of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

hatty posted:

The song was fine the constant cuts to the choreographed dances was lame. And they forgot Norm

I wanted to see what the criteria for inclusion was, and apparently it's this:

quote:

The final decision of whether or not a person is included depends on that person's level and quality of contributions to the movie industry.

Which is a grade A :iceburn: towards the folks you leave out.