Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

IMHO, the best argument for HSR in the US is regional rail corridors, eg pgh-clt, or Austin-Houston-Dallas, where the non-flight time is a significant component of the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

…And it would be money better spent on situations where aircraft CANT compete. Local mass transit, light rail, etc. No one wants to spend 10 hours on a high speed train when you can spend 3 on an airplane.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PCjr sidecar posted:

IMHO, the best argument for HSR in the US is regional rail corridors, eg pgh-clt, or Austin-Houston-Dallas, where the non-flight time is a significant component of the trip.

Yeah trying to build a high speed rail corridor from New York to LA would be a ridiculous expenditure for very low traffic. On the other hand the Texas Shinkansen was a great idea.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, I visit one of my friends in VA just outside of DC all the time and man would it be nice to just jump on a train for 90 minutes instead of driving for 4 hours.

It would seriously turn a few times a year visits to every few weeks.

The other aspect of rail that bears considering is the immense environmental impact of air travel. That’s something you aren’t going to fix by dumping money into air infrastructure.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I expect that the only way you get a real HS rail network in the US is that if some bulky but profitable cargo needs to be moved rapidly from mid-America to the coasts.

Saying “use more aircraft” doesn’t work if its millions of tons of material.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FunOne posted:

Need more capacity? Add more planes. Need to go somewhere else? Just point the plane there instead. Cargo? No problem. People? No problem.
Now look at costs (before gov subsidies) and carbon footprint.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

FunOne posted:

I understand the appeal of a high speed train system, I've used them in China and Europe, and they're great. But if you came to me as a tax payer and laid out the enormous effort it would be to get them installed in the US vs. improving our air infrastructure then air wins every time in my mind.

Need more capacity? Add more planes. Need to go somewhere else? Just point the plane there instead. Cargo? No problem. People? No problem.

planes are noisy, and there's very limited opportunity to decarbonize their emissions. more air cargo is definitely not a useful answer.

i ain't lookin to take a train from Boston to Chicago but I certainly wouldn't mind taking a faster one to like... Philadelphia. or random parts of northern new jersey. Acela is decent center-to-center but a lot of places' public transit infrastructure after that point is bad

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

PCjr sidecar posted:

Our combined boarding and deplaning time on our DFW to SAT flight last night was longer than our actual flight time. That was partially due to the pilot flying extra fast because they had to pee real bad but the point stands.

There are a ton of flights from DFW to cities on the TX I-35 corridor that could be handled much more easily by HSR combined with light rail hubs in the major cities.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Reno - Sacramento - SF - LA - Vegas would be a cool high speed rail project too.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Reno - Sacramento - SF - LA - Vegas would be a cool high speed rail project too.

Boy do I have very scope-limited good news for you!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’ll take stuff that won’t happen for $1000.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

Murgos posted:

I expect that the only way you get a real HS rail network in the US is that if some bulky but profitable cargo needs to be moved rapidly from mid-America to the coasts.

Saying “use more aircraft” doesn’t work if its millions of tons of material.

High speed freight doesn't work because cargo is a lot heavier than people, so the power ratio is different and you need gentler grades and cornering.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Being 42, I’ve given up hope of seeing any significant infrastructure changes in my lifetime due to how long it actually takes to plan and execute them.

It took 35 years to complete the interstate highway system and if I’m still alive at 77, I’m probably not going to give a poo poo about HSR.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

NightGyr posted:

High speed freight doesn't work because cargo is a lot heavier than people, so the power ratio is different and you need gentler grades and cornering.

Gotta move the mole children from their warrens under the great planes to the coasts so the elites can get the highest quality dose of adrenochrome fresh from the source...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

I’ll take stuff that won’t happen for $1000.

Brightline in south Florida not only happened, but it’s working, and being expanded. I’m as surprised as anyone else, but it’s truly a superb way to get day drunk all over south Florida.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

MrYenko posted:

…And it would be money better spent on situations where aircraft CANT compete. Local mass transit, light rail, etc. No one wants to spend 10 hours on a high speed train when you can spend 3 on an airplane.

Ten hour train trip works wonderfully, but it needs to be on an overnight sleeper cabin. I've done such trips regularly for over two decades and I choose car over it for only longer vacations and if I want to use car at the destination, or if I want to take varied routes and see new scenery. I've only used plane if I've travelled with someone else who wants to use it.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Being 42, I’ve given up hope of seeing any significant infrastructure changes in my lifetime due to how long it actually takes to plan and execute them.

It took 35 years to complete the interstate highway system and if I’m still alive at 77, I’m probably not going to give a poo poo about HSR.

Possible if there is the political will. China built out its HSR system in 14 years.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The impact assessment studies alone would take the better part of 14 years by the time all the "stakeholders" and NIMBYS voiced their concerns. And the route would probably end up looking like a corkscrew to go through all the districts of the federal politicians that wanted it... and avoid those that don't.

I don't think China has that problem.

e:
:shepface:
https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberals-launch-negotiations-to-buy-f-35-fighter-jets-1.5837647

God I loathe the Canadian political parties and the circus major project procurement always becomes.

The defense manufacturers of the world must cringe whenever Canada puts out an RFP

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Mar 28, 2022

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

MrYenko posted:

That depends. Train travel is far more stress-free, no need to turn up hours in advance to check in and security stuff, no weird liquid restrictions, less noise, more able to move about and no luggage drama..and the view is often far more interesting. Train stations also tend to be more centrally located, so transport to your final destination is often far easier.
On a 3 hour flight, how much time is spend at/getting to the airport? You save maybe a couple of hours.

Overnight trains are also cool. (Except for the Edinburgh->London..that was easily the worst train journey I've ever had).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/liberals-launch-negotiations-to-buy-f-35-fighter-jets-1.5837647

God I loathe the Canadian political parties and the circus major project procurement always becomes.

The defense manufacturers of the world must cringe whenever Canada puts out an RFP

No way they can make money thru cancellation penalties endlessly whenever the government changes! Don’t even have to deliver a thing!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Good point. Literally money for nothing.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

That depends. Train travel is far more stress-free, no need to turn up hours in advance to check in and security stuff, ...

I dunno, I've dealt with security stuff and having to show up well ahead of time for screening and whatnot in China. Trains being on time has nothing to do with traffic to and from the station.

I don't think these benefits hold long term. It takes one nut job to ruin it for the rest of us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
terrorist attacks on the Thalys didn't institute TSA style bullshit

now you could argue that Euros are maybe less stupid than Americans but they do similar nonsense for airplanes

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Wasn't it an Ali G bit where he asked a US congressman if he was concerned about a hijacked train being used to blow up the white house?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

:shepface:

So maybe this poo poo doesn't matter, but apparently the decision to go F-35 was made at least two years ago, because that's when the "communication" memos were circulating. Which means the competition was a waste of time from that point. Actually, I can think of one positive thing here: for once the contract for F-35s explicitly forbids Canada from trying to fluff rotten boroughs with subcontract work.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

:canada:

https://www.saab.com/markets/canada/gripen-for-canada

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

That depends. Train travel is far more stress-free, no need to turn up hours in advance to check in and security stuff, no weird liquid restrictions, less noise, more able to move about and no luggage drama..and the view is often far more interesting. Train stations also tend to be more centrally located, so transport to your final destination is often far easier.
On a 3 hour flight, how much time is spend at/getting to the airport? You save maybe a couple of hours.

Overnight trains are also cool. (Except for the Edinburgh->London..that was easily the worst train journey I've ever had).

In 2010 I had to take a greyhound to get to basic training and they made us go through security and the lady got upset that we had razors. You think I'm gonna hijack a loving bus on my way to basic training?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, maybe the US is just weird.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Greyhound in Canada started searching passengers after a guy had a psychotic break on a bus in the prairies, stabbed a dude and mutilated / ate his body, eventually hopping around the bus with the severed head.

Dude got arrested but greyhound was a bit jumpy after that.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

FrozenVent posted:

Greyhound in Canada started searching passengers after a guy had a psychotic break on a bus in the prairies, stabbed a dude and mutilated / ate his body, eventually hopping around the bus with the severed head.

Dude got arrested but greyhound was a bit jumpy after that.

Jesus christ

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

Jesus christ

It's fine.

Greyhound permanently shut down all their Canadadian operations last September

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

KodiakRS posted:

There are a ton of flights from DFW to cities on the TX I-35 corridor that could be handled much more easily by HSR combined with light rail hubs in the major cities.

What % of passengers are not connecting through dfw?

How is the metroplex even possible to make light rail work given the size of that sprawl? Or houston for that matter? It’s a total mass transit failure and can’t see them magically getting light rail right.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ok, maybe the US is just weird.

are-we-the-baddies.jpg

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Oh my. That is just dead sexy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Kesper North posted:

Jesus christ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Tim_McLean

Yeah, it's probably worse than you think.

Guy is out, changed his name and zero criminal record due to mental state.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

KitConstantine posted:

So I saw this and did some digging to confirm and it seems that it's true
https://twitter.com/nexta_tv/status/1508806376067379215?s=20&t=jeKL62vsRxo1vKlvhszjUQ
Source with links: https://www.aviation24.be/miscellan...ta-nor-back-up/

Aviation Herald link - https://avherald.com/h?article=4f6a8fd6&opt=0
Their site is web 1.0 as gently caress, which honestly makes me trust it more.

Seems bad :shrug:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
I saw that in the original thread, no idea if it's true but it would rule so hard

FunOne posted:

I dunno, I've dealt with security stuff and having to show up well ahead of time for screening and whatnot in China. Trains being on time has nothing to do with traffic to and from the station.

I don't think these benefits hold long term. It takes one nut job to ruin it for the rest of us.
Yeah I don't think it's an inherently plane problem, just something we created. I certainly had to go through security for trains in Chian and Uzbekistan for example.

Meanwhile I can get on an EU flight within 15 minutes from entering my airport, including security checks.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We got a spares order from Boeing for DC-10 parts. Who's still flying those things at this point?

Seeing the Douglas Aircraft Company letterhead on the parts list was a pretty big surprise

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

rscott posted:

We got a spares order from Boeing for DC-10 parts. Who's still flying those things at this point?

Seeing the Douglas Aircraft Company letterhead on the parts list was a pretty big surprise

:black101:

MY BABIES LIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

rscott posted:

FedEx