Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Personally I found Order of Tales to be a lot stronger than Rice Boy. (And Vattu is shaping up to blow them both away, although I suppose it could still flub the landing). Rice Boy is beautiful, and very atmospheric, but the narrative is too… abstract? For my tastes. I couldn’t really get invested the way I can with Evan’s later works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Snake Maze posted:

Personally I found Order of Tales to be a lot stronger than Rice Boy. (And Vattu is shaping up to blow them both away, although I suppose it could still flub the landing). Rice Boy is beautiful, and very atmospheric, but the narrative is too… abstract? For my tastes. I couldn’t really get invested the way I can with Evan’s later works.

Honestly all of Evan Dahm's longform webcomics are very meandering and atmospheric for the first 90% of their run, with the remaining 10% being a really baller finale (Vattu is not quite done but it's well into the finale and surpassing all expectations so far.)

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

flavor.flv posted:

Okay cool here's Rice Boy

Ah, and now for my favorite comic starring a man with a television for a head.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

I picked page 77 and by god you're right.
I just read all of TBC because I enjoy those comics as a binge more than drip feed, and holy poo poo. Page 77 is pretty silly even in context but it's nothing compared to how buck wild things get later. What the gently caress, Thorsby.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ten Earth Shattering Blows

and then he disintegrated

NO MORAL

END OF STORY

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
drat I didn't realise this was a secret Aphelion prequel.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

vyelkin posted:

I'm really enjoying Stand Still Stay Silent and it has gorgeous art, but I will be honest, the limited range of colour tones and similar character designs makes it very difficult for me to tell the characters apart and remember who's who and what their deal is from one comic to the next.

Yeah, I had the same problem. It's less of an issue once they start the expedition proper because there's only the core cast to keep track of most of the time, and when they do interact with the supporting cast it's over the radio. Having them in separate locations helps keep everyone sorted out. Trying to keep track of all the nationalities and the languages and which languages are mutually intelligible was a complete ballache as well, especially when I could barely tell the characters apart to begin with. Here's a real simple version:

Every language except Finnish is at least somewhat mutually intelligible, so the crew at large can communicate (with varying degrees of difficulty, but you don't have to keep track of it). The exception is, Lalli (the twiggy catboy Scout), who is Finnish and only speaks Finnish. He can only talk to his cousin, Tuuri (the short mechanic with tiny hair). Tuuri speaks several languages and can translate between Lalli and the rest of the crew as long as she's present. Tuuri is also the only member of the crew that isn't immune to the disease that wiped out most of the world, so she's supposed to avoid hazardous situations. This does mean that the scout can't talk to the rest of the crew when they're exploring dangerous areas, but I can't imagine that being a serious problem.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

ah the arch-criminal act of brooding on a rooftop, go get that villain!

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

i love how dumb Ulf is at the start of TBC. he's so very dumb.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The New Adventures of the Duck Avenger

That whole page is Watchmen as hell

Lurk Ethic
Jul 25, 2007

Lurk More
The Property of Hate

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

vyelkin posted:

I'm pretty sure that's in Trixie but I don't remember for certain.

Awesome, thank you! I'm reading Trixie now and it's got that charming Thorsby writing but he figured out that Microsoft Paint can just draw straight lines if you want it to.

I'm not sure how i feel about the art, but the writing is great.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Ranking of Kings

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Ok, let's try this again, from the top

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

CzarChasm posted:

Ok, let's try this again, from the top

That's actually some really good advice.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Vagabong posted:

drat I didn't realise this was a secret Aphelion prequel.

Ten Earth Shattering Trans-Dimensional Post-Human Threats

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

This kid has to be related to Lostclock

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

Jose Valasquez posted:

This kid has to be related to Lostclock

And Beavis

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
This is Home, from Ryoko's The Dragon's School is on Top of the Mountain anthology. I'm going to post a few of the interconnected stories from that book, all relating to the Beast.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Been a bit slack on posting because I'm sick. I still love unicorn jelly.

Last time, on Unicorn Jelly: Lupiko the witch and Uni went out to go save some guy's daughter, who was attacked by a crystal basilisk. Unfortunately they smashed the basilisk, so they couldn't create a cure from its crystal blood.

So Uni just stabbed the girl with the holy unicorn magic he is full of (from getting pissed on by a unicorn)

"itai!" is of course japanese for "ouch!"

and that's how Lupiko accidentally ended up with a daughter who got mad crystal brains from being attacked by a crystal basilisk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mx. posted:

i love how dumb Ulf is at the start of TBC. he's so very dumb.

The best kind of protagonist for this kind of story is definitely an absolute dipshit.

Probably not a coincidence; character designs that evoke a mix of enthusiasm and idiocy.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oh no. I just spent an hour and 45 minutes reading all the way through Transdimensional Brain Chip. It was excellent, but now I just really want to read other people reacting to it. I definitely would have been better off waiting and following along in the thread.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

going to use all of my willpower to not read a full archive of thorsby this time and read along with the thread

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

going to use all of my willpower to not read a full archive of thorsby this time and read along with the thread

Same. gently caress chores and job-work and anything else that requires willpower, this is more important.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

last time: the storm passes, a ghost owl gives the nod

this time - tension! how will she cr oh an owl has a solution, ok.

e: this is comic 100, by the way. we shall celebrate with owls

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Those owls would be great stickers

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Loving the quality and diversity in the thread at the moment.
The full spectrum of ghastliness, from Owl Comic to Aphelion
Every visual style from SSSS subtle colour and fabulous landscapes, through to Thorsby's "your weird friend when you were 11" drawings
Every variation of hero and anti-hero, from Whomp to 10ESB
A Good Thread.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Accidental Space Spy has a lot of hot hot alien babes, but it really drags on. And without spoilers, the overarching plot is pretty threadbare and the final act barely matters, and I'm pretty sure he throws in a farce close to the end that is as intricate as ever but just makes the story even slower (that's not a spoiler, it'd be crazier if there wasn't a farce).

So I'm happy we've gone with TBC. It's got my personal favourite Thorsby strip which isn't even that funny or well-drawn or insightful, it's just because I read TBC first and that one was the point where I realised "oh, this isn't merely exploring a silly concept, this guy is actually really good at storytelling".

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

there's so much good thorsby dialogue

there were some memorable parts of Accidental Space Spy I wanted to post but they're way harder to find. Trixie Slaugheraxe 4 life

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Some familiar faces back there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mx. posted:

there's so much good thorsby dialogue

there were some memorable parts of Accidental Space Spy I wanted to post but they're way harder to find. Trixie Slaugheraxe 4 life

also you can tell just from this panel that there's a farce going down

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hitmen for Destiny was fulfilling and had a very satisfactory ending. Glad to have read it all :)

uvar posted:

So I'm happy we've gone with TBC. It's got my personal favourite Thorsby strip which isn't even that funny or well-drawn or insightful, it's just because I read TBC first and that one was the point where I realised "oh, this isn't merely exploring a silly concept, this guy is actually really good at storytelling".

I read it a few weeks ago and had a really good time. Which page number is the strip you are talking about?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
which is the thorsby comic where the stars disappear all of a sudden?? its trixie slaughteraxe right?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

yes that's trixie slaughteraxe

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh man, I remember posting in the thorsby thread when that was going out live. We figured out the twist coming, but it was still drat satisfying to read

You're all in for a treat when that comes back around. I recommend not reading ahead, the posts are going to be excellent

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't really like TBC but I suppose we might as well just work through the full Thorsby archive and see it all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Transdimensional Brain Chip

4. The News

5. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

6. Super charming

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

-click-

...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nice Pete tries to do a pure deed of good heart and intention and take the child to the actual secret ice cream parlour, and he gets his van stolen for his efforts. What is this world coming to?

Anyway, here's Rice Boy

Two shadowy weirdos sent to find and protect a chosen one in the name of fulfilling prophecies, huh? Didn't we just have a comic about that?