Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

fanboys are gonna be so mad when mutants just, like, show up

not to out myself but i would be asking, "where were the x-men during the snap"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mutants always just show up. That’s their thing.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Mameluke posted:

They are sworn never to interfere in the affairs of homo sapiens, until now..

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Release a Special Edition of Captain America that has Mr. Sinister, Wolverine, Mystique, Destiny, and baby Magneto CGI'd in

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
In the less exciting celebrity violence news of the week, Ezra Miller got arrested for disorderly conduct and harassment yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiPoliceDepartment/posts/305234978381866

v e: Really? Works for me, though I dunno what kinda weird regional blocking thing Facebook might have.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 29, 2022

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

BrianWilly posted:

In the less exciting celebrity violence news of the week, Ezra Miller got arrested for disorderly conduct and harassment yesterday
https://www.facebook.com/HawaiiPoliceDepartment/posts/305234978381866

Dead link
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2022/03/29/actor-known-superhero-role-arrested-hawaii-island/

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Sounds to me like somebody needs to stop going to bars.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I can't believe Joss Whedon made Ezra Miller attack someone to damage Zack Snyder.

Will Smith isn't the only guy who assaulted someone before winning an Oscar on Sunday. What are the odds?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Purportedly, the person singing karaoke was singing a song by Better than Ezra, which sent them into a rage. They started shouting "You think you're better than me?!" witnesses say.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
The Academy must address this horrific act of violence immediately.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I'm just glad actors are becoming normal people again. This is the most relatable Ezra has ever been.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Mameluke posted:

The X-Men weren’t formed yet. Next question.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ezra Miller seems like a real shithead.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Mameluke posted:

Well you see, some of the people who came back from the snap came back.. different

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Joe Fisto posted:

Well you see, some of the people who came back from the snap came back.. different

That's honestly one of the better takes they can pull from, but then you lose the "Magneto/Professor X being old friends turned enemies" element.

I'm not really sure how they thread that needle.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's honestly one of the better takes they can pull from, but then you lose the "Magneto/Professor X being old friends turned enemies" element.

I'm not really sure how they thread that needle.

There where mutants before, but they where more rare. The snap activates numerous X-genes around the world.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

glitchwraith posted:

There where mutants before, but they where more rare. The snap activates numerous X-genes around the world.

We did it guys. Kevin, pay us.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wouldn't be surprised if that's what they go with. Like a cross between The Collective post-Decimation and Inhumanity

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Joe Fisto posted:

glitchwraith posted:

The only problem there is that it destroys the whole premise that the X-Men have always been about, that they're a clumsy metaphor for race/LGBTQ relations. If you make them just come back different from the snap (or just warp the Fox ones in*) it suggests that there were no persecuted groups in the MCU pre-Snap and Thanos (or I guess Banner technically since he did the return snap) just made them. Like people just came back gay or another race. And I'm no expert on these matters but that's maybe... hosed up?

*unfortunately since there's all these rumors about Feige meeting Jackman that seem to have some merit to them, I feel like that might be the case. So (following the analogy) non-white and/or non-heteronormative people are literally from another universe.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 29, 2022

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
With the Multiverses in full effect, it's entirely plausible that they could simply say there was another universe where mutants were a thing and all that stuff existed and is established. The question, then, is how do you incorporate an entirely different universe into interacting with the main one, as opposed to living in their own universe and maybe only occasionally mingling with the main one. Maybe you have that universe be totally hosed up by one or something and mutants seek refuge into the main universe. Or maybe you do simply keep it separate with the occasional mingling and you don't need everything under the same roof.

Since Deadpool is already moving ahead, I feel like something along these lines will be what they'll end up going with.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't tie it directly to the Snap but rather the destruction of the Infinity Stones. We know there was a wave of affect across the universe. We know the Stones have given people powers, including Wanda and Pietro. Or "activated" them. So when the Stones were destroyed their energy shot across everything triggered change. Activating the "X gene" or whatever. And that never even has to be fully explained. Just have some smart people wondering why so many more powered people started appearing after the Blip and the X Gene gets discovered and "mutant" becomes a thing and one theory is the Infinity Stones thing.

Granted that fits into my pet theory that the Stones are still energy out there and they've found hosts and we're headed to an Infinity Watch reconstituting them. But i dunno. I think it works in that way the MCU is good at of making things that absolutely weren't planned out ahead of time kind of look like they were and fit very well.

TwoPair posted:

The only problem there is that it destroys the whole premise that the X-Men have always been about, that they're a clumsy metaphor for race/LGBTQ relations. If you make them just come back different from the snap (or just warp the Fox ones in*) it suggests that there were no persecuted groups in the MCU pre-Snap and Thanos (or I guess Banner technically since he did the return snap) just made them. Like people just came back gay or another race. And I'm no expert on these matters but that's maybe... hosed up?
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but I don't think introducing mutants and having them be the victims of bigotry is the same thing as saying "bigotry started with them." The MCU's already touched on race and class stuff at least enough to acknowledge it exists in this world. And why wouldn't it? So I don't see why mutants have to be the first persecuted group. They're just the most recent, because bigots are always finding a new target. And if you do it right you basically frame it that way with all the clumsy metaphors of the past as part of the same line of lovely bigots.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 29, 2022

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1508904612438237184?s=20&t=oeii1IGX4_mMxoM8UWXZYw

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

TwoPair posted:

*unfortunately since there's all these rumors about Feige meeting Jackman that seem to have some merit to them, I feel like that might be the case. So (following the analogy) non-white and/or non-heteronormative people are literally from another universe.

Except in the comics they haven't always been about, at least in large numbers. The original comics and most adaptations usually have the mutant population spike exponentially in recent times, which is what causes the general public to finally take notice and begin hating and fearing them. In fact, they where called "Children of the Atom" because the initial idea was nuclear radiation is what caused the spike, though they gradually moved away from that in favor of just general evolution. While there are plenty of older mutants from various eras, they tend to be the rare exception to the rule. It was only Morrison and Hickman who really tried to depict mutants as a distinct culture.

I do agree making them an apparent recent phenomenon does hurt the minority metaphor, but their are already many problems with that metaphor when you examine it more closely. For example, that they are literally more dangerous to the general public than any real life minority, or how despite the metaphor the teams tend to be largely missing most of the minorities it supposedly represents.

I also don't expect them to port the Fox movies over, at least not permanently. They might fit in a few cameos as multiversal visitors ala No Way Home (and maybe Xavier in Multiverse of Madness), but given the ages of those actors, I assume they will want fresh casting for any new movies. Deadpool is the one exception I could foresee, and that's only because his continuity with the Fox X-Men is already so tenuous (and often played for jokes) that him suddenly being in the MCU wouldn't actually change that much.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

History question I've wondered about: Are the X-Men are barely veiled allegory for race/orientation specifically because you couldn't tell those stories at that time? Because like, you can now. Maybe it'd be okay if the X-Men weren't wrongfully persecuted for genetic differences, and the MCU just put some focus on how actual people are actually persecuted?

I was just thinking about this because of that New Mutants movie, where they lay on the allegory pretty thick, which feels weird since every one of the kids in that has an origin story that killed at least one and generally a shitload of people, which makes the hamfist even hammier to me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

glitchwraith posted:

This is how I always pitched it. There were mutants throughout history, but only a handful. But post snap, suddenly there were more and more.

This let's you have magneto and Xavier, wolverine and apocalypse, but then have stories involving Kitty, Jubilee, the Rasputins, Glob Herman and so on.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Holy poo poo I do not want this to be buried. They are making a loving Blue Beetle movie where Ted is likely the lead or at least the sacrificial mentor to Jamie?

Hell to the gently caress yes

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo I do not want this to be buried. They are making a loving Blue Beetle movie where Ted is likely the lead or at least the sacrificial mentor to Jamie?

Hell to the gently caress yes

It's been a known quantity for a while now, and is a Jaime movie (starring Xolo Maridueña from Cobra Kai).

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

theironjef posted:

It's been a known quantity for a while now, and is a Jaime movie (starring Xolo Maridueña from Cobra Kai).

Stop I can only get so excited

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Too many kids these days are getting exposed to strange ideas at such a vulnerable early age and start saying they themselves are mutants. That's why I am signing the Don't Say Mutant bill to protect our children.

We need to protect the integrity and sanctity of adolescents sports. This bill will bar so-called mutants from participating and ensure an even and fair playing field. Children seeking to participate in junior league sports will need to undergo a thorough examination before eligibility.

Seems pretty ripe for your classic and modern day anti-LGBT bullshit. I think the bigger question is, is Disney brave enough to lean into it? I fear that answer is no.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

iceyman posted:

Seems pretty ripe for your classic and modern day anti-LGBT bullshit. I think the bigger question is, is Disney brave enough to lean into it? I fear that answer is no.

Disney was already making sure any LGBTQ+ content could be edited out before the current wave of revolting anti-gay cultural revanchism, so I'd put the chance of that happening now at exactly 0%.

Happitoo
Nov 24, 2005

We are going to go for the store, then the district manager. Then WE ARE GOING TO THE CORPORATE OFFICE AND THEN TO THE EXECUTIVES! DXRYAHHHHHHHHH!!

Last time Sharon Stone played the bad guy in a DC movie it didn't go over too well.

At least we can look forward to the Blue Beetle basketball scene

I'm kidding. I'm sure Sharon Stone will be good as she's a great actor. I just wanted to make a Catwoman sucked joke

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

theironjef posted:

History question I've wondered about : Are the X-Men are barely veiled allegory for race/orientation specifically because you couldn't tell those stories at that time? Because like, you can now. Maybe it'd be okay if the X-Men weren't wrongfully persecuted for genetic differences, and the MCU just put some focus on how actual people are actually persecuted?

I was just thinking about this because of that New Mutants movie, where they lay on the allegory pretty thick, which feels weird since every one of the kids in that has an origin story that killed at least one and generally a shitload of people, which makes the hamfist even hammier to me.

There wasn't a whole lot of that in the original run from the 60s. The Brotherhood were hated because they were monologuing villains taking over random countries and robbing banks, Xavier kept the X-Men's identities hidden because super heroes had alter egos and thought the mutations were the result of background radiation.

The allegory kicks in pretty much when Claremont takes over possibly as a result of fan reactions to his new diverse team. It's a delivery method for tolerance to a potentially narrowminded readership.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The early stuff presented mutant persecution more like a McCarthyist red-scare than what was going on in the civil rights movement. The metaphor is there but you have to dig pretty deep. It’s only later authors that made it more explicit. The fact that it was very implicit and fuzzy probably worked in its favor in letting people read whatever they wanted into it.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the early mutant concept was much more "my god I'm sick of writing origins. we're gonna save five pages and instead of a guy getting electrocuted by radioactive magnets, he's going to be born with powers" than anything.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
The McCarthyist red scare very much corresponded to, and with, the anti-civil rights attitudes of the time. Both fed into the other, both synergized with each other; racists hid their racism behind bureaucracy, while bureaucrats exploited bigotry for clout. It's not so dramatically different from today, where nationalistic fundamentalism has long since been intrinsically parcel with general xenophobia.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I always thought the earliest versions were more "being a teenager and going through changes is weird and gross but what if those changes made you a superhero instead but people still don't like you because they don't get you because adults don't understand, man" kind of thing. Or in other words, imagine if the weird teenager grossness were actually super powers and now go have super power fights!
Then Claremont did X-Men and said "imagine if being mutants meant more than just being an awkward teen, but also could be a stand in for being a persecuted minority" and that is when the metaphor really took off.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Teenagers really do fit the mutant metaphor better than anything: "I'm different from the world I'm coming into, and I feel like everyone resents me, the most persecuted person to ever exist, for it." But I've also heard a good argument to look at Mutants under a Jewish lens—an ethnic group that has a fundamental belief that they legitimately do have a special place in the universe (a direct covenant with God), but that power is reckoned with the omnipresent risk of total annihilation and the world turning on you. You also get people reading your abilities (whether its laser beams in Marvel or "being a lawyer" in the real world) as existentially threatening while it's perfectly okay for someone not of your culture to have those same abilities, and you can see that it could have emerged out of the thinking of two Jewish creators in the mid-20th Century.

I think the big issue with pairing Mutants to any existing minority group, though, is that the X-gene is very much a biological binary. Like the one-drop rule: you're either a Mutant or you aren't, and there really aren't many complicating circumstances there. At most, you're a Mutant who can "pass" for human, but Mutantness is purely biological and has no societal element or ambiguity to it.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I’ve also heard good arguments that some X-Men make good metaphors for disability. The broad applicability of the mutant metaphor is a large part of the comics success. It just falls apart if you attempt to make it a direct one to one comparison. And when written especially badly, those comparisons become insulting, though given MCU’s track record so far, they’ll likely avoid those pitfalls. I think any adaptation should definitely explore themes of hate and bigotry, but the best way to apply those explorations to real world minority groups is to use mutants that are also members of those minority groups, such as Magneto, Storm, Iceman, etc.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

In the scenario where mutants exist, but the Snap unlocked way, way more of them, and mutants are an analogy for queer folks, then the analogy for The Snap would be the creation of Tumblr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don't see the need for some kind of inciting event. Just say that mutants have been in hiding and only now are starting to emerge more readily. Keep the storytelling baggage out of it.