Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Unfortunately the Borjarnon is just too drat popular! They even put it in fanart with UC shows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Unfortunately the Borjarnon is just too drat popular! They even put it in fanart with UC shows!

Look, it's the mobile suit that's always been trying its best. No other Mobile Suit can match its history of use.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I like the full armor mk ii

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

overlordbunny posted:

My favorite part of the Reborns gundam is that they mounted the drive units on the elbows.

I honestly do remembering laughing at the Reborns at first because here comes smug Ribbons, ready to be the final boss, yet “MY GUNDAM ALSO USES *TWO* (tau) GN DRIVES” was.. expected but kinda underwhelming in the grand scheme of things

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Cleretic posted:

I think that the main flaw of all Gundam fanart is that we aren't drawing the weird sideline suits from Turn-A constantly.

Every time someone draws a mobile suit, they should be required to sufficiently answer the question 'why am I not drawing a Wodom'.

You're right but you spelled Muttowoo wrong.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The Wodom owns but my fav suit is either the Grimoire or Gundam Ground Type. Or Tequila Gundam.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, the new samurai Gundam manga is being fan translated. Basically, it's a G-Gundam style setup now. It's the past, the Shogun's in power, and there are somehow mechs which are going to have a tournament for whatever the Shogun can offer.

So far, we're two chapters in and the hero isn't officially entered, which kind of feels like it misses the point of a wandering tournament arc. Still, curious how it'll go.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

GodFish posted:

You're right but you spelled Mahiroo wrong.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

GodFish posted:

You're right but you spelled Muttowoo wrong.

Indeed, there are 3 "o"s at the end of Muttowooo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

enh Gundams good

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The reborns gundam owns and I will hear no argument to the contrary.

Also in the commentary Furuya was apparently walking around with pictures of the reborns during one of his recording sessions and going " look how cool my gundam is. It even transforms!"

Bandai needs to hurry the hell up and make an mg of it already.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Good to know Furuya has good taste in Gundams. The Reborns is one of my all-time favorites.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I will never understand this thread's love for the Reborns. Gundam mode looks like a generically beige bleh and the cannon mode is a jumbled red mess.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Ribbons sucks but Reborns is a phenomenal design in appearance function and concept.

overlordbunny
Feb 16, 2011

The Reborns is fun, I love that it exists because Ribbons looked at the designs of the CB-001 1 Gundam and the CBY-077 GN Cannon, said "Relying on others, EWW." Then mashed them together.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
00 season 2 was dogshit. im sorry, amuro.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There are good parts and designs in Season 2 but it's mostly a huge disappointment

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!

TenementFunster posted:

00 season 2 was dogshit. im sorry, amuro.

I'm not that far into 00's second season, but it feels like they had a bunch of really good ideas for what to do with the story (and more ways to traumatize Saji, which is what 00 is really about), and then keep finding the worst ways to get to them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

One day I'll make you people understand

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cleretic posted:

I'm not that far into 00's second season
stop now and just watch a youtube supercut of every scene featuring Mister Bushido

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

TenementFunster posted:

stop now and just watch a youtube supercut of every scene featuring Mister Bushido

Its not that bad. It's mainly just not as unique as the first season was. It's not painful to get through like age or ugly crap like IGLOO. It's just mediocre action sci-fi anime with some cool Gundams in it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

00S2's biggest problem is just that it meanders. Just people wandering around getting in largely meaningless battles where there is little real sense of threat or danger unless Setsuna isn't around to the point where they basically have to write him out of scenes for drama to happen. None of the characters really grow much or change much and it runs into the 2-season problem of feeling like they had to spread too little butter over too much toast.

It isn't the worst but it's almost painfully boring to the point where the most memorable parts are when it dares to get stupid and you get to hear someone scream the name BRING STABITY or MISTA BUSHIDO.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
Besides, Mr. Bushido is uninteresting, just like the other Setsuna-centric antagonist.

I'm mainly watching for more of Tieria's 'we hit the maximum amount of gun possible before it literally can't function' Gundam, Mannequin, Smirnov, and Saji's terrible, no good, very bad life.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Cleretic posted:

Mr. Bushido is uninteresting
:mad:

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it can't be worse than SEED so frankly i'm excited to get to 00 in uhh

like a full year and some months

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dogsicle posted:

I mean to be fair there's a large middle ground of Gundam and then the rock bottom which is AGE which is extremely unlikely to ever be defeated as the most purestrain terrible Gundam to exist. It manages to hit every single bad mark.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

I mean to be fair there's a large middle ground of Gundam and then the rock bottom which is AGE which is extremely unlikely to ever be defeated as the most purestrain terrible Gundam to exist. It manages to hit every single bad mark.

AGE has good music. There is a theoretical Worst Gundam that has all of AGE's weaknesses but also bad music.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Build Tri might be worse than AGE if only because the gulf between the promise and the result is so much larger. I never thought AGE was going to be good, Tri I thought had a ton of promise. Same reason I find IBO or ZZ so much more disappointing then Wing even though they're both better series. An unfair way to judge things perhaps, but for example, I think Amazing Spiderman is a perfectly cromulent film, if Kubrick had directed the same flick my disappointment would be immeasurable and my day would be ruined.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

you can't just remind me AGE exists like that

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I think Build Tri might be worse than AGE if only because the gulf between the promise and the result is so much larger. I never thought AGE was going to be good, Tri I thought had a ton of promise. Same reason I find IBO or ZZ so much more disappointing then Wing even though they're both better series. An unfair way to judge things perhaps, but for example, I think Amazing Spiderman is a perfectly cromulent film, if Kubrick had directed the same flick my disappointment would be immeasurable and my day would be ruined.

See, I'd actually say that AGE has by far the most squandered potential because the basic premise is *extremely* interesting.

"Follow a war through three generation of Gundam protagonists. One is Amuro except that the death of Lalah turns him bitter and Titany. His son lives in his shadow but isn't a Newtype and has to find a way to make his mark in the world without the crutch of a superpower and also has befriended one of the enemy faction. His son is being raised by Jerkmuro as a living weapon and eventually comes to reject that and find a way to end the war even if it means defying the man who raised him."

All of that poo poo can be perfectly interesting. Following a Gundam protagonist who genuinely goes down the path of villainy. Following an oldtype pilot in a Newtype world and what he has to do to succeed. Following a 'manufactured' Gundam Kid who tries to escape from the role forced upon him. They all have interesting concepts that just don't get lived up to. (Asemu comes closest and even then it's only the final movie fight that really lets him shine)

Genuinely following a Gundam war not for a single year but for decades upon decades? Super cool idea. A shifting cast of characters which means that fewer characters are totally safe? Interesting as hell! A Gundam that frequently gets new looks and equipment? IBO showed how easily that can work.

AGE just fuckin' squanders ALL of it. Except the good music. At the end of the day Tri just is a boring shonen fightman instead of an interesting shonen fightman. AGE throws out a dozen different concepts and fucks all of them up while also being a pretty heavy leader in "Most Misogynistic Gundam" awards to boot.

Hell Age even squaders the "modular Gundam" thing by barely using it or failing to give even the barest coolest showing to things like AGE-3 Orbital.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Mar 29, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I still say the most jaw dropping aspect of AGE was that it had a built-in reason for the Gundam to get a new weapon or gear literally every episode, and they barely used it. No atmospheric re-entry gear, no amphibious gear, they didn't have an episode where the Gundam got a katana to duel a bad guy swordsman robot, nothing. How do you gently caress that up?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They used it all for the game nobody played. Remember the loving beam weed whacker

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
AGE has some really cool and unique ideas. Flit is honestly one of the most conceptually interesting characters in the franchise. The broad strokes are "what if you had Amuro, except Lalah's death embittered him and consumed his entire life", but the specifics are neat and you can track his downward slope through the rest of the series - in Arc 2 he's a genuinely good father who simply wants to see his son be happy and successful no matter what even outside of fighting, but by Arc 3 he's stuffing his grandchild into simulators to prepare him to be a shock trooper in the genocidal forever war. The series's execution is generally quite bad, but many of the concepts and themes are good enough that I can hold the series in the Destiny/Build Fighters Try spot of "this is an awful show but interesting enough that I'm mad it was this lovely".

I think my two low points of Gundam are IGLOO 1 - which manages to be a show entirely about robot wank that makes the robot wank both hideously ugly and boring as gently caress while having no characterization or story to speak of at all besides "brave Nazi aviators stand up and fight!" - and Build Divers, which is a excruciatingly boring and forgettable show with a cast so wooden and flavorless that I can't even remember all of them despite being the kind of person who is so pedantic about Gundam that I'm writing essays about the characters and theming of various Gundam series on Something Awful.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Mar 29, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I'm still leaning towards Divers as the worst. I only managed to get seven episodes in before I tapped out, so it's incomplete judgement, but the overall structure was weak, the lead is the blandest thing since raw oatmeal, the fights were beamspammy, and even the music was disappointing. AGE sucks hard from the jump too, but at least Flit has, you know, has something resembling a personality.

IGLOO 1 part 2 gives it some fierce competition, though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

dogsicle posted:

I just really want to get to Digimon now, that's how bored I am with SEED

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 28 hours!
The only thing I know about Build Divers is that one episode where they give the Devil Gundam the sort of fight that G Gundam's action was never able to provide (not that G's action was bad, but a kung-fu show can't quite showcase a fight against something like that). That part was neat.

Getting the feeling I shouldn't check out the rest or confirm my feelings.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Cleretic posted:

The only thing I know about Build Divers is that one episode where they give the Devil Gundam the sort of fight that G Gundam's action was never able to provide (not that G's action was bad, but a kung-fu show can't quite showcase a fight against something like that). That part was neat.

Getting the feeling I shouldn't check out the rest or confirm my feelings.

The prologue one-shot was a decent large scale fight, and the sequel series was good. Beyond that, yeah. It was a slog.

I will say that having a Django themed version of the Tequilla Gundam was rad, though. Shame there was never a kit.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

The prologue one-shot was a decent large scale fight, and the sequel series was good. Beyond that, yeah. It was a slog.

I will say that having a Django themed version of the Tequilla Gundam was rad, though. Shame there was never a kit.

It had some neat stuff in it. Maggie was fantastic, Rommel was problematic but adorable, they did some neat action stuff with the Penguin Kapool's unique properties, the combining SD MS was fun, and we got cannon furries in Gundam finally.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
AGE isn't even a bottom five Gundam, and it's not a close call either. There's a bunch of other shows fighting it out for admission into the Worst list ahead of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Seemlar posted:

AGE isn't even a bottom five Gundam, and it's not a close call either. There's a bunch of other shows fighting it out for admission into the Worst list ahead of it

Are you including SD Gundam shows and Twilight Axis?