Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
A game starting out with a reserved list isn't' a game I want to ever buy into again. The lesson is already learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I do think about trying it, even bought one of the Blitz starter decks. Then I remember thr time and money wasted on other tcgs in the 90s and am okay with a little vit of FOMO here.

RIP .Hack card game that I never actually got to play even a single round of

Looked kinda cool too :sigh:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My experience with FaB is I saw a ton of people going crazy for it on social media and youtube, hype it to high heaven for the first US event, proudly exclaim how well it did at the first US event, and then never ever speak about it again.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

None of the LGSes near me do FaB events and I don't know anyone who plays it

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

can we not derail this thread again about FAB.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pablo Nergigante posted:

None of the LGSes near me do FaB events and I don't know anyone who plays it

Where do you live? Im in a fairly big city and have seen some places run fab tournaments

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Magic: The Gathering: Absolutely FABulous

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Strong Sauce posted:

My bad.

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1508494368516227078
New Charm cycle!
Looks like Elspeth and Vivian are back (I didn't read this, just saw Vivian in one of the arts)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strong Sauce posted:

Do we even have a general card games thread tho?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mandatory lesbian posted:

Where do you live? Im in a fairly big city and have seen some places run fab tournaments

Hudson Valley NY

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

My bad.

New Charm cycle!
Looks like Elspeth and Vivian are back (I didn't read this, just saw Vivian in one of the arts)

Yay i love charms

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Hudson Valley NY

I wont lie idk how close to nyc that is but if its anywhere near it you have a much bigger sample size then minneapolis-saint paul.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

I don't know, but I do know a FAB thread got spun off the Finance thread.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

There's a FaB thread and a scammy games thread

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

someone had to create an industry thread because of the derail in this thread. and there's a dedicated FAB thread that hasn't been posted in since late feb.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
For MTG related content, Mark Rosewater put out an article today saying Cycling is now a deciduous mechanic so they can use it more frequently in sets without cycling as a main mechanic. That's pretty cool and good, it's a good mechanic to be able to use whenever they feel like it will work.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lol noone seems to care about fab outside this thread anyway

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kashuno posted:

For MTG related content, Mark Rosewater put out an article today saying Cycling is now a deciduous mechanic so they can use it more frequently in sets without cycling as a main mechanic. That's pretty cool and good, it's a good mechanic to be able to use whenever they feel like it will work.

i'd thought cycling was deciduous already so it's a good move

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

My bad.

New Charm cycle!

I skimmed, apparently Tezzeret and Urabask are on New Capenna, and New Capenna might be Elpseth's home plane?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Wasnt elpeths home plane explicitly destroyed by phyrexians?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

someone had to create an industry thread because of the derail in this thread. and there's a dedicated FAB thread that hasn't been posted in since late feb.

Maybe its a topic that doesn't need its own dedicated thread? Isn't that what the data is telling us?

What I am trying to say is maybe the FAB thread isn't t0.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Lol noone seems to care about fab outside this thread anyway

Nobody cares about it in this thread either

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
To be fair I didn't know I don't care about it until it was posted in this thread.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Wasnt elpeths home plane explicitly destroyed by phyrexians?

It was certainly ravaged and dominated by them (at least enough that they had giant slave camps), but I don't think it was ever confirmed to be fully destroyed or if that's just what we've inferred from Elspeth's experiences.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Gavin Verhey put out a video with some hints about New Capenna and I don't think it was posted here. He goes over the five factions: Bant = Corrupt Lawyers, Esper = Precog Crime Unit, Grixis = Art in the front, assassins in the back, Jund = Construction, Naya = Jazz partying influencers. There's some random hints too, one of which stood out to me was that there's tons of returning one-of mechanics, including one that surprised Gavin to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSjce9ltGg

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

GonSmithe posted:

My bad.

New Charm cycle!

TL;DR version:

- Various rulers of New Capenna are moving their own plots forward, mostly related to the supply of "Halo" that everyone relies on - everyone is worried about the dwindling supply of Halo since all the angels are gone.
- There's someone called "The Adversary" who is stirring things up among the underclasses and recruiting people to their cause - this is probably Ob Nixilis since he's referred to as a "newcomer".
- The history of New Capenna and the founding of the city is something of a secret deliberately kept hidden or erased from memories. There's no natural landscape outside of the city walls.
- Vivien is there looking for something, ends up running into Tezzeret who convinces her to willingly come with him to meet Urabrask who is on the plane and fighting "on the side of freedom". Vivien senses that there's something wrong with the plane as in it feels fake and unnatural.
- Elspeth arrives on New Capenna because Ajani told her that it was her home plane, but it looks nothing like what she remembers. The last time Elspeth was on her home plane OG Phyrexians were in charge there, so something must be up.

I'm guessing this is another Rath type situation where the Phyrexians clean slated a plane to use it for their own reasons? Urbrask being there is pretty interesting, and since all the angels are gone but Atraxa (the compleated angel from New Phyrexia) is in some of the art that probably has something to do with it as well.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

Gavin Verhey put out a video with some hints about New Capenna and I don't think it was posted here. He goes over the five factions: Bant = Corrupt Lawyers, Esper = Precog Crime Unit, Grixis = Art in the front, assassins in the back, Jund = Construction, Naya = Jazz partying influencers. There's some random hints too, one of which stood out to me was that there's tons of returning one-of mechanics, including one that surprised Gavin to see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSjce9ltGg

Note that the hints are for the attached COMMANDER cards, not the standard legal main set.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

TL;DR version:

- Various rulers of New Capenna are moving their own plots forward, mostly related to the supply of "Halo" that everyone relies on - everyone is worried about the dwindling supply of Halo since all the angels are gone.
- There's someone called "The Adversary" who is stirring things up among the underclasses and recruiting people to their cause - this is probably Ob Nixilis since he's referred to as a "newcomer".
- The history of New Capenna and the founding of the city is something of a secret deliberately kept hidden or erased from memories. There's no natural landscape outside of the city walls.
- Vivien is there looking for something, ends up running into Tezzeret who convinces her to willingly come with him to meet Urabrask who is on the plane and fighting "on the side of freedom". Vivien senses that there's something wrong with the plane as in it feels fake and unnatural.
- Elspeth arrives on New Capenna because Ajani told her that it was her home plane, but it looks nothing like what she remembers. The last time Elspeth was on her home plane OG Phyrexians were in charge there, so something must be up.

I'm guessing this is another Rath type situation where the Phyrexians clean slated a plane to use it for their own reasons? Urbrask being there is pretty interesting, and since all the angels are gone but Atraxa (the compleated angel from New Phyrexia) is in some of the art that probably has something to do with it as well.

I thought it was Great Gatsby, but actually it's The Big O

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Big O alter sleeve of MechaTitan core when?

SHOOOOOWWWW TIIIIMMMEEEE

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

HootTheOwl posted:

I didn't know that this is what I wanted but it is.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

neaden posted:

I didn't know that this is what I wanted but it is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mat Cauthon posted:

TL;DR version:

There's more in the second story. Also there were some nuanced lines about 'new' Capenna city being founded by cutting it off from everything below it. So what I expect is there's some magical seals in the undercity and the rest of the plane outside it is full of dormant phyrexians. Urabrask is there to unseal things and link up with the OG phyrexians and the factions will have to quit jockeying and come together to fend them off.

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
drat I love China Mieville too

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Today's magic story

"Elspeth returns to the

city she lives in
the city of Angels"

Hoping tomorrrow she gets to kick rear end and draws some blood under a bridge downtown

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

There's more in the second story. Also there were some nuanced lines about 'new' Capenna city being founded by cutting it off from everything below it. So what I expect is there's some magical seals in the undercity and the rest of the plane outside it is full of dormant phyrexians. Urabrask is there to unseal things and link up with the OG phyrexians and the factions will have to quit jockeying and come together to fend them off.

Yeah I didn't get to read the side story until after work, definitely sounds like there is something going on underneath/outside the city. I wonder if Urabrask is doing his own thing or following orders from Elesh Norn.

Hopefully Vivien doesn't get compleated :ohdear:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

The leonin to Perrie's left pulls out a loaded violin. Red light shimmers up and down its strings as the light catches it.
If this isn't a card the set is a failure.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Maro's teasers are out:
https://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/679986109173956608/maros-streets-of-new-capenna-teaser

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

quote:

a mechanic which first premiered in a Standard-legal set in the 00’s sees a return to Standard
“Copy target spell you control that wasn’t cast.”
Replicate is back baby!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Wait, I thought Elspeth was from Theros?
Curse you wizards, for trying to make my think about your story.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

quote:

• a spell that costs 13BB

hell yea give me 30 zombie tokens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

VictualSquid posted:

Wait, I thought Elspeth was from Theros?
Curse you wizards, for trying to make my think about your story.

Theros was her first planeswalk destination after sparking
:goonsay: