Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Has anyone in this thread experience with getting covid while on chemotherapy? Are there any good sources for that topic? Just finding a lot of trash when searching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AutismVaccine posted:

Has anyone in this thread experience with getting covid while on chemotherapy? Are there any good sources for that topic? Just finding a lot of trash when searching.

They might be eligible for paxlovid or monoclonal antibodies, but it is imperative that those are given in the first 5 days. consult a physician.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

AutismVaccine posted:

Defintely talk to your team, especially for paxlovid, it has a lot of interactions with meds including cancer meds and you shouldn't trust that it's safe to take for you in particular unless you hear it from someone familiar with your cancer treatment.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Too early to say for sure but it appears the first derivative of case rates in China is noticeably improving (i.e. case rates are increasing more slowly). If you look at this graph you can kind of imagine where the peak would be, and it may not even be as bad as their extremely well-controlled initial outbreak.

Possibly very good news! Does anybody have any more detailed information??

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
No but I have other good news

https://mobile.twitter.com/PressSec/status/1506324577814827021

Her second time, first was in the fall .. November I believe.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Not sure how Jen Psaki having basically a very contagious minor head cold for a week (which, of course, could be worse if someone more vulnerable caught it) is "good news" but I'm glad the administration is still testing people before going on trips.

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Mellow Seas posted:

Not sure how Jen Psaki having basically a very contagious minor head cold for a week (which, of course, could be worse if someone more vulnerable caught it) is "good news" but I'm glad the administration is still testing people before going on trips.

Asking in good faith:
I understand that long covid isn't related to the severity of initial symptoms, but rather to underlying preconditions like Epstein-Barr virus.

Is this understanding incorrect? My buddy had a mild case of COVID and lost taste/smell, another lost their ability to use software they had used for years. Is long COVID less a concern than the stats would lead us to believe (1 in 10)?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

spankmeister posted:

They might be eligible for paxlovid or monoclonal antibodies, but it is imperative that those are given in the first 5 days. consult a physician.

Dont have covid atm, but with my luck who really knows.
Thats a good tip with the antibodies, will ask about that at the hospital if it is an option in the worst case scenario.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mellow Seas posted:

Not sure how Jen Psaki having basically a very contagious minor head cold for a week (which, of course, could be worse if someone more vulnerable caught it)

Yes a minor head cold that’s killed over 1,000,000 Americans … officially anyways. C’mon this is the same kinda stuff you hear on Fox News .. “oh it’s just a cold”

Anyways, it’s good news bc it’s a public figure with a rapid re-infection, which will may help some people realize that immunity is not durable, hopefully leading to behavior modifications. Also I don’t like her :D

Much like “Insane in the” Tim Kaine having Long Covid … serves him right, and it’ll draw attention to an otherwise unreported issue.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

AutismVaccine posted:

Thats a good tip with the antibodies, will ask about that at the hospital if it is an option in the worst case scenario.

If you have cancer and being treated I do believe you're in the risk group and eligible for monoclonals or paxlovid. Paxlovid has drug interactions that may exclude you from it, something about the liver, but I don't know all of those details.

Because both are antiviral drugs they have to be given as early as possible in the viral replication phase of the disease (first week), not in the inflammatory phase (second week). So within 5 days of symptom onset but really right away after getting a positive test result. Might indeed be a good idea to discuss that beforehand with your doctor so that you don't waste time chasing it down then.

So not the worst case scenario really, because those drugs are to avoid the worst case scenario!And it's important to realize that if you wait until the disease is "bad enough" it will be too late for them to do anything!

By the way: Dr. Daniel Griffin, who is an infectious disease physician-scientist and one of the hosts of the TWiV COVID-19 podcast, is very much up to date on the latest treatments and guidelines and he does take email questions from people struggling with challenges similar to yours. Worth a shot maybe. daniel %at% microbe.tv

All the best and hopefully you'll never need the advice!

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Asking in good faith:
I understand that long covid isn't related to the severity of initial symptoms, but rather to underlying preconditions like Epstein-Barr virus.

Is this understanding incorrect? My buddy had a mild case of COVID and lost taste/smell, another lost their ability to use software they had used for years. Is long COVID less a concern than the stats would lead us to believe (1 in 10)?
No one really knows to be honest, the research around it is kinda spotty and I don't think anyone has even agreed on a proper definition of long COVID yet.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

Yes a minor head cold that’s killed over 1,000,000 Americans … officially anyways. C’mon this is the same kinda stuff you hear on Fox News .. “oh it’s just a cold”

She's been triple vaxxed, is healthy and already had it once so I'd be very surprised if it's even at 'minor head cold' level tbh. There is a good chance she wouldn't have even noticed if not for the test.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

While Sinovac is less effective than the mRNA vaccines, their NPIs have saved millions of lives.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

AutismVaccine posted:

Are you immunocomprimised due to any treatments / medications? It might be worth asking about Evushield if your existing immune response is in doubt (basically PrEP monoclonal antibodies)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Asking in good faith:

My personal take on this is that there is not one long covid, but several distinct ones. There's people who have their lung capacity completely wiped out, there's cardiovascular issues, neurological, auto-immune, preexisting health issues getting exacerbated, etc... So it's not very useful to say something like that, because in some cases underlying conditions are at play, and in others they're not.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Add mesenteric lymphadenitis in children to that list. My stepdaughter and her friend both got it during COVID-19 infection, and they both still suffer severe pain from it more than a month later.

vvv Edit: I'm more-less just venting, sorry. vvv

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 23, 2022

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes by no means is my list exhaustive, I should have mentioned that, thank you.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

enki42 posted:

Are you immunocomprimised due to any treatments / medications? It might be worth asking about Evushield if your existing immune response is in doubt (basically PrEP monoclonal antibodies)

Kinda i guess, my current chemo kills all white and blood platelets. Atm i am getting some kind of body immune system booster meds plus my standard 4 chemo mix, so all additional meds are out of the question cause the liver is at the limit. But thx for the suggestion, didnt know you can prevent it.

spankmeister posted:

If you have cancer and being treated I do believe you're in the risk group and eligible for monoclonals or paxlovid. Paxlovid has drug interactions that may exclude you from it, something about the liver, but I don't know all of those details.

Because both are antiviral drugs they have to be given as early as possible in the viral replication phase of the disease (first week), not in the inflammatory phase (second week). So within 5 days of symptom onset but really right away after getting a positive test result. Might indeed be a good idea to discuss that beforehand with your doctor so that you don't waste time chasing it down then.

So not the worst case scenario really, because those drugs are to avoid the worst case scenario!And it's important to realize that if you wait until the disease is "bad enough" it will be too late for them to do anything!

By the way: Dr. Daniel Griffin, who is an infectious disease physician-scientist and one of the hosts of the TWiV COVID-19 podcast, is very much up to date on the latest treatments and guidelines and he does take email questions from people struggling with challenges similar to yours. Worth a shot maybe. daniel %at% microbe.tv

All the best and hopefully you'll never need the advice!

Thx for the info, will ask about the two options with my doctor next monday. Depending on the outcome maybe i will seek out other professionals.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Alctel posted:

She's been triple vaxxed, is healthy and already had it once so I'd be very surprised if it's even at 'minor head cold' level tbh. There is a good chance she wouldn't have even noticed if not for the test.
Yup. I’m basing my statement that this is going to be no big deal for Psaki off the fact that I’m the same age and same vaccination status and likely in far worse health from being 40-50 pounds overweight and omicron barely registered. Similar experiences for everybody else I knew. The odds are that Psaki has a maybe, what, a 1 in 100,000 chance of dying?

E: removed a bunch of pissy stuff

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 24, 2022

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The vast majority of COVID cases, even among those 65+, have been “mild” even prior to vaccination. Our former president once famously quipped that 99% of people, in fact, survive.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

China continues to test and refine their dystopian population control policies under the guise of pursuing Covid Zero:

https://www.ft.com/content/4bb84965-9763-4e11-bd81-25383cf2c747

quote:

Shanghai split by lockdown as officials struggle to contain Covid outbreak

China’s financial centre hit by panic buying ahead of public transport shutdown and mass testing

---

Shanghai ushered in extreme lockdown measures on Monday that cleaved China’s leading financial centre in two and blocked connections to the rest of the country, as local authorities tried to quell a record outbreak of largely asymptomatic Covid cases.

Police cut off tunnels and bridges linking Pudong, home to Shanghai’s financial district and many big manufacturers, to Puxi, the city’s historic centre and home to the famous Bund waterfront.

The two areas, separated by the Huangpu river, are being locked down for mass testing, with Pudong closed until April 1 and its residents confined to their homes. Puxi’s closure and testing drive will start when Pudong reopens, and will run until April 5.

Police also blocked highways leading out of the city, with anyone wanting to leave required to produce a negative Covid test taken within 48 hours, state media reported, citing notices from Shanghai police.

The lockdowns, which far exceed previous measures in Shanghai and marked the first time authorities have confined millions of the city’s residents to their homes, sparked panic buying as shoppers rushed to stock up on vegetables.

The outbreak in mainland China’s most international financial centre is proving a big test for the country’s wider strategy to contain coronavirus. Following an initial lockdown of Wuhan in early 2020, authorities have instituted severe restrictions on other cities to eliminate outbreaks, although recently there had been signs that the approach was being tempered.

President Xi Jinping this month emphasised the need to “minimise the impact” of the virus on the country’s economy after southern tech hub Shenzhen was locked down. In Shanghai, authorities had indicated that a full-scale lockdown was not necessary a few weeks ago, although buildings with positive cases were often sealed off.

Some factories in China have set up isolated “bubble” systems, an approach comparable to the closed system employed for the Winter Olympics in February, which allowed staff to work during lockdowns as long as they did not leave the premises.

Shanghai, with a population of 26mn, recorded just 50 symptomatic cases on Sunday, according to official data, but notched a record 3,450 asymptomatic cases, compared with 5,134 asymptomatic cases across the rest of mainland China.

Over the weekend, the Shanghai World Expo and Exhibition Centre, a vast building in the Pudong district that hosted the Shanghai World Expo in 2010, was opened as a quarantine centre for mild and asymptomatic cases.

The city’s response to the outbreak contrasts with that taken in Hong Kong, which has recorded more than 1mn cases over the past two months after being largely free of infections for almost two years. Plans for mass testing in the territory, which also sparked panic buying, have been downplayed recently given the sheer scale of infections.

China’s stock market started the week lower following news of the lockdowns in Shanghai, with the country’s benchmark CSI 300 index falling as much as 2 per cent on Monday morning as traders weighed the implications for the country’s broader strategy.

“In the near term, China will stick to its zero-tolerance approach,” said Bruce Pang, head of research at China Renaissance. He added that while supply chain shocks had been minimal, the outbreaks would probably weigh on economic growth as Chinese consumers grappled with greater uncertainty.

Pang said that official statements, including from the latest meeting of the Chinese Communist party’s politburo, “imply any adjustment [to containment strategies] will come with the precondition of eliminating infection”. 

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

Slow News Day posted:

China continues to test and refine their dystopian population control policies

https://www.ft.com/content/4bb84965-9763-4e11-bd81-25383cf2c747

Please elaborate on what the phrase dystopian means to you and why you're applying it here.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Dreaming of the freedom to kill a million Chinese people in two months. Why can't everyone else see how wonderful it will be? Surely just a coincidence that we just need them back under the international capitalist grindstone to stabilize shipping and prices.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Leon Sumbitches posted:

Asking in good faith:

Long covid is poorly understood, and is a blanket term for a wide range of long-term sequelae of infection that probably do not all share a common physiological cause (other than SARS-CoV-2 infection).

There are some people with long-term damage that very much *is* related to the severity of the initial infection. There are lots of other cases where all kinds of weird immunopathology shows up sometimes weeks after a mild infection. The mechanisms for this are still being sorted out.

As far as stats go, it's only until relatively recently that well-controlled studies with large cohorts (of vaccinated patients, in particular) have been able to estimate hazard ratios for various long-term symptoms, and from those data things don't look great, I guess. It's not too surprising, given the wild tissue tropism of the virus, and the high peak viral loads typical even in quickly cleared infections.

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
It's certainly bizarre that China appears to be an authoritarian hellhole on the one hand, and has utterly failed to vaccinate its most vulnerable population on the other hand. It must be a source of major embarrassment for them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I thought the alternating lockdowns in Shanghai to turn two smaller ones into an effectively longer one was clever.

That dude I know who went there got himself out on the last train out of town and, and this may be hearsay, dumped his girlfriend on the platform as he was boarding.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

It's certainly bizarre that China appears to be an authoritarian hellhole on the one hand, and has utterly failed to vaccinate its most vulnerable population on the other hand. It must be a source of major embarrassment for them.

It's because non sterilizing vaccinations encourage spread of disease. Best to just not do it

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Imagine not having a million covid deaths. Boy they sure have egg on their face! Haha!!

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
China would have even fewer covid deaths if they vaccinated their old people

Smeef
Aug 15, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Pillbug

mastershakeman posted:

It's because non sterilizing vaccinations encourage spread of disease. Best to just not do it

Is this a joke post? Sorry, I honestly struggle to tell these days.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah nah bro, whatever you're trying to do this ain't wise

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

dystopian population control policies

authoritarian hellhole

I couldn’t agree more. I have a friend who lives in China and he says it’s a nightmare. He told me he wishes his government was willfully negligent and allowed millions to get seriously ill and die unnecessarily through the deliberate dismantling of pandemic protection measures in order to grease the wheels of capitalism.

We truly live in paradise.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I mean, obviously there can be plenty of debate over human rights in the PRC, but I can't help but notice that Americans are now benefitting from their Covid zero approach, as a nationwide Chinese covid outbreak would cause yet another worldwide price shock, and they appear, for now, to have avoided that. So, thanks, authoritarianism, you did us a solid on that one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Gio posted:

I couldn’t agree more. I have a friend who lives in China and he says it’s a nightmare. He told me he wishes his government was willfully negligent and allowed millions to get seriously ill and die unnecessarily through the deliberate dismantling of pandemic protection measures in order to grease the wheels of capitalism.

Wow, your friend kinda sounds like a jerk. You probably shouldn't take his statements at face value.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Mellow Seas posted:

I mean, obviously there can be plenty of debate over human rights in the PRC, but I can't help but notice that Americans are now benefitting from their Covid zero approach, as a nationwide Chinese covid outbreak would cause yet another worldwide price shock, and they appear, for now, to have avoided that. So, thanks, authoritarianism, you did us a solid on that one.

Also by actually trying to prevent people from getting covid they are reducing the possibility of another major mutation that runs rampant across the planet, again.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the next killer variant comes out of America, with our new improved science-based 'sure whatever, go have an orgy in a Denny's' policy.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

3 people just tested positive in my no-mask office in NY (not city). Great.
(I wear double masks, but work in close proximity to my co-workers, so... hoping for the best...?)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Gio posted:

This suggests that China has suspended their economy to deal with COVID. Couldn't be further from the truth.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It's possible to believe that China's COVID policies have so far avoided the death and disruption visited upon most of the world, which is good, and that it's a dystopian ethno-nationalist police state, which is bad. Those are not mutually exclusive statements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HazCat
May 4, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

3 people just tested positive in my no-mask office in NY (not city). Great.
(I wear double masks, but work in close proximity to my co-workers, so... hoping for the best...?)

Do not double mask. Wear an N95 that fits you.