Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Spanish Manlove posted:

I also used to thing this part in Blinded By Fear was triplets but after watching their live stuff it's just single down strokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJFV3lc2TQ&t=70s

sounds really similar

Ive always played this as triplets too fml.
Its me, the guy complaining I don't have the endurance to play metal in my 30a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BizarroAzrael posted:

Tried out a Gretsch hollow body at the weekend, was nice but I felt besides the large body it was hard for me to reach the high frets. I did really like the Bigsby trem though, especially as I'm playing a lot of Alice in Chains/Would? right now. I'm going to try a G5655t center block I think, narrower body looks like it may be more comfortable, but I may instead/also fit a Bigsby trem to my Epiphone G400. Looks like it should just screw on in place of the existing tail guard? The strings on it are loving old actually, might be a good excercise anyway.

I gather the B5 is the model I want, or the cheap licenced B50 or B500. Anyone got experience of them and know if it's okay to cheap out on the copies?

Do you recall which one you tried?

I've got a 5422tg and I love it. It's the sound I wanted when I started looking at gretsches. I tried 2622 and 5622 and they sound nice but just not what I expect a gretsch to sound like. More like a 335 which isn't a bad thing, 335s are nice. I prefer filter trons vs the broad trons which are more of a standard humbucker.

The necks have felt the same to me from the 5422 to the 5622. They're generally slim and narrow C shape, playing pretty quick. The body is thinner on the 5622 but they played roughly the same. My gretsch has the best neck, fret job, and intonation of all my guitars and it's completely stock.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

JamesKPolk posted:

When am I gonna be good enough to play with strangers? Is there a way to know? I'm sure the answer depends on skill level and other specifics and obviously getting out of my head is gonna be a big first step. So what I'm asking about is:

I found an ad for a local jazz practice w/ a rhythm section (drums and upright bass), which seems like an incredible opportunity. They're intermediate but say they welcome all skill levels, and while I'm sure I'm a beginner I'm not sure if I'm like... too much of one. They're playing stuff out of Real Books, and I'm just working my way there, like this month (and worried I'm neglecting some stuff along the way).

I can play a couple songs all the way through (Discharge stuff, jazz melodies, blues comping for myself are my go tos when I'm just practicing). I often forget the metronome but I can do it there too, and I can recover from flubs. I've jammed a bit with a friend of mine who is a technical wiz but doesn't really get improvisation, so we were both blowing each other's minds in that context, and I've definitely gotten better since then.

If anything, I think I know my M/m 7+6 Freddie Green chords, and I can find notes on the fretboard pertty quick, so I could probably muddle along w/ a chart doing that.

Is this worth everyone's time or am I gonna respond to that ad, show up, and faceplant?

You know best, but I’d say go for it. If you really gently caress it up, find a teacher who’ll help get where you want to be. Maybe do both even.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Verman posted:

I've got a 5422tg and I love it. It's the sound I wanted when I started looking at gretsches. I tried 2622 and 5622 and they sound nice but just not what I expect a gretsch to sound like. More like a 335 which isn't a bad thing, 335s are nice. I prefer filter trons vs the broad trons which are more of a standard humbucker.

The necks have felt the same to me from the 5422 to the 5622. They're generally slim and narrow C shape, playing pretty quick. The body is thinner on the 5622 but they played roughly the same. My gretsch has the best neck, fret job, and intonation of all my guitars and it's completely stock.

Was going to say I think I tried that exact model and colour but I think it was single cut. I'll try to compare filtertrons to broadtrons, I think the 5655 is just a single cut version of the 5622, I'll also see if I can find something with the thinner body and broads.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

JamesKPolk posted:

When am I gonna be good enough to play with strangers? Is there a way to know? I'm sure the answer depends on skill level and other specifics and obviously getting out of my head is gonna be a big first step. So what I'm asking about is:

I found an ad for a local jazz practice w/ a rhythm section (drums and upright bass), which seems like an incredible opportunity. They're intermediate but say they welcome all skill levels, and while I'm sure I'm a beginner I'm not sure if I'm like... too much of one. They're playing stuff out of Real Books, and I'm just working my way there, like this month (and worried I'm neglecting some stuff along the way).

I can play a couple songs all the way through (Discharge stuff, jazz melodies, blues comping for myself are my go tos when I'm just practicing). I often forget the metronome but I can do it there too, and I can recover from flubs. I've jammed a bit with a friend of mine who is a technical wiz but doesn't really get improvisation, so we were both blowing each other's minds in that context, and I've definitely gotten better since then.

If anything, I think I know my M/m 7+6 Freddie Green chords, and I can find notes on the fretboard pertty quick, so I could probably muddle along w/ a chart doing that.

Is this worth everyone's time or am I gonna respond to that ad, show up, and faceplant?

it's very good to jam with others! but also kind of scary. still, there's no faster way to improve.

there's no substitute for it, so i think you should go for it!

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you can both comp and play a melody, you're overdue for playing in a group imo.

Gosh darn this plague. :negative:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Gramps posted:

You really should try a 5ths based tuning like GDAE or CGDA. Mandolin/violin/cello scale shapes are a bit more symmetrical, you always have a power chord under your fingies, and it'll just kinda make you play different which is always good

Tenor Guitar Update: I decided to take your advice and go back to its original tuning CGDA instead of the uke tuning. I really dig it, so thanks! Maybe I can try to play violin music on this thing?

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Tenor Guitar Update: I decided to take your advice and go back to its original tuning CGDA instead of the uke tuning. I really dig it, so thanks! Maybe I can try to play violin music on this thing?

yep- mandolin stuff on tenor guitar rips too

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Are there any particular pitfalls in setting up a pre fab scalloped guitar neck? I've got a stupid music poo poo type idea brewing in my head involving that project guitar I had to shelve like last year, but don't know if I want to commit the money to it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Spanish Manlove posted:

I also used to thing this part in Blinded By Fear was triplets but after watching their live stuff it's just single down strokes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oJFV3lc2TQ&t=70s

sounds really similar

i didn't think it was triplets i did this weird upstroke mute thing but i also apparently had it wrong

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Is the Roland CM30 a good portable option for use with BiasFX or Helix?

E: Maybe the FRFR108 instead?

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 29, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

muike posted:

i didn't think it was triplets i did this weird upstroke mute thing but i also apparently had it wrong

tbh i think it's triplets on the album but single downstroke on recent live performances

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Verman posted:

Been on another YT guitar rabbithole (been doing that a lot of late) and giving serious thought to the filtertrons, but the Gretschs with both the center block body and filtertrons are like four grand. But it seems I can get a pair of filtertrons on their own for about £100 plus the mountings if needed, so maybe I should look at getting a 5655 and switch out the broads for filters? I'm seeing stuff about people doing it and liking the outcome.

Or since I was looking at a Bigsby for my G400, could maybe looking into swapping filtertrons onto that. Much less straightforward, but I'm starting to get interested in mucking around like that. Should be reversible anyway.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Yeah that's why I went with the 5422.

The 5420 is the single cut electromatic hollow body. It's the thickest. It's almost 3" thick. They usually come with filtertrons

The 5422 is the double cutaway electromatic. It also comes with filter trons. Thickness is 2.25 inches, between the 5420 and the centerblock 5622.

The 5622 is the centerblock double cutaway electromatic. It's 1.75 inches thick, so pretty thin in terms of hollow/semi hollow body guitars. It used to come with super Hi-Lo filtertrons but now comes with broad trons. You can easily buy some filters or tv Jones versions and swap them out if you really want. The filter trons just give you more fidelity across the whole range, not as much punch but more clarity.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I'll make sure to try a 5422, but I think the 5655 has what I'm looking for besides the pickups, including being single cut which I think looks better.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

are these guitars, or ATi video cards!

folks

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

This fella showed up today

Box was beat to hell. Thank god it was in a hard case or it would probably be matchsticks.

Anywho, this and the CEO are the two acoustics I've always wanted to own and I managed to get this one for nearly half MSRP because it was a little scuffed, and for that price it's loving amazing. And since it's already a bit dinged up I won't feel as bad about knocking it around as I do the other one

It's so incredibly light, too

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

amirite

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Went to Sweetwater today. First time ever at the actual store. Its ridiculously big but I was kinda surprised how few guitars they had out on display.

I went in with the plan of buying a brutal metal guitar. A 7 string schecter or Jackson.

Ended up buying a grandpa guitar. But it's loving perfect. Also made in my hometown so that's kinda cool. It's a Heritage H535. Basically a ES-335.

I picked it up on a whim and pretty much instantly knew it was what I needed. One of the nicest playing/sounding guitars I've ever had.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Malaria posted:

Went to Sweetwater today. First time ever at the actual store. Its ridiculously big but I was kinda surprised how few guitars they had out on display.

I went in with the plan of buying a brutal metal guitar. A 7 string schecter or Jackson.

Ended up buying a grandpa guitar. But it's loving perfect. Also made in my hometown so that's kinda cool. It's a Heritage H535. Basically a ES-335.

I picked it up on a whim and pretty much instantly knew it was what I needed. One of the nicest playing/sounding guitars I've ever had.
heritage is ftw you picked good

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Malaria posted:

I mean, for an impulse buy, you can't go wrong with a cherry stained 335. They are timeless and crazy versatile.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Malaria posted:

Excited to hear hollowbody renditions of death metal

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

was worth the price of admission for me nvm that its also a jazz chorus or a mesa or

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

any suggestions for getting a satisfying distortion tone while playing chords with thirds in them?

what i mean is, thirds can kind of sound muddy on guitar especially when you distort them. one thing i think i’d have a lot of fun doing is playing really jazzy extensions for some cool chord melody, and keeping the vocal line super simple and catchy as hell. and the songs would just be emo/punk bullshit or whatever

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Clean guitar playing the cool chords on one track, distorted guitar playing power chords on another?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

landgrabber posted:

any suggestions for getting a satisfying distortion tone while playing chords with thirds in them?

what i mean is, thirds can kind of sound muddy on guitar especially when you distort them. one thing i think i’d have a lot of fun doing is playing really jazzy extensions for some cool chord melody, and keeping the vocal line super simple and catchy as hell. and the songs would just be emo/punk bullshit or whatever

Cut the lower mids a tiny bit, it causes stuff to get a little muddy an unintelligible

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm also going to go ahead and say use a lot less gain than you think you need. Boost the upper mids and use a serious drive, and play hard. It'll give you the clarity you're looking for and in a band context you'll be audible in the mix while still sounding beefy and tough.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I may have a problem with Donner and other knockoff mini pedals. Got their delay and chorus in today.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Verman posted:

I've got a 5422tg and I love it. It's the sound I wanted when I started looking at gretsches.
Shop near me has some of those Gretsch Electromatic baritones in stock with the 30" scale length and man do I want one. But I don't play electric that often. But I don't know how long they'll keep making that model. But I have two electric guitars already, I don't really need another. But it's not that expensive.... Aaa!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

ColdPie posted:

Shop near me has some of those Gretsch Electromatic baritones in stock with the 30" scale length and man do I want one. But I don't play electric that often. But I don't know how long they'll keep making that model. But I have two electric guitars already, I don't really need another. But it's not that expensive.... Aaa!

Buy it. Baritones rule.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Friggin need a new 12AX7 (dear Randall Smith: why oh why did you use one for the effects loop return in the Mark V:35) and they're all manufactured in Russia so nobody anywhere here has stock. FML

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

landgrabber posted:

heres some ideas:

* turn down the gain until you can no longer hear the root note's fifth overtone (the just intonated major 3rd, which clashes with the equal-tempered major 3rd that you are playing).
* re-voice the chord in a way that raises the major 3rd up by an octave or more.
* find the string where the major 3rd lives, and tune it flat by 13.69 cents (to change the equal-tempered major 3rd into a just intonated major 3rd).
* dont play the major 3rd at the same time as the root note -- some kind of arpeggio instead?

If you decide to detune your guitar string, i would be interested in hearing the before and after!

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

Friggin need a new 12AX7 (dear Randall Smith: why oh why did you use one for the effects loop return in the Mark V:35) and they're all manufactured in Russia so nobody anywhere here has stock. FML

I might be able to hook you up if you need just one. It really wouldn't be any trouble, just PM me if you're interested.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I think I need to know more about the tech before I take my next steps, pickups, amps, peddles, is there a good single resource on that rather than my bouncing around YouTube as I am and not always understanding everything. Maybe I should look more at my other great before looking at a new guitar? Generally play more outside of Rocksmith, learning to get desired tones myself and such.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I need to buy a guitar after not touching one for like 20 years. Mid-life crisis or some poo poo. I've been looking around and the PRS SE 245 seems like extremely my poo poo. Only problem is I'm left handed - as far as I can tell they don't even make these lefty. Even if I settled for something else, it's extremely slim-pickins for lefty.

I "played" for maybe a few years in my teens, but never took lessons, probably never played more than 10 hours a week if that. When I air-guitar, tap rhythms, etc. it's always with my left hand. Is it worth trying to learn righty at this point?

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think I need to know more about the tech before I take my next steps, pickups, amps, peddles, is there a good single resource on that rather than my bouncing around YouTube as I am and not always understanding everything. Maybe I should look more at my other great before looking at a new guitar? Generally play more outside of Rocksmith, learning to get desired tones myself and such.

I’m not unbiased saying this, but we’re a pretty good resource here. Otherwise, my gear learning is really just reading reviews wherever I can find them personally. That and trying things out myself. I do like Premier Guitar’s reviews, but there are a number of good resources.

All that said, what do you want to know? Also, have you heard the good word of the Boss Katana?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

luchadornado posted:

I need to buy a guitar after not touching one for like 20 years. Mid-life crisis or some poo poo. I've been looking around and the PRS SE 245 seems like extremely my poo poo. Only problem is I'm left handed - as far as I can tell they don't even make these lefty. Even if I settled for something else, it's extremely slim-pickins for lefty.

I "played" for maybe a few years in my teens, but never took lessons, probably never played more than 10 hours a week if that. When I air-guitar, tap rhythms, etc. it's always with my left hand. Is it worth trying to learn righty at this point?

Embrace your lefty-ness. Our options are more limited sure, but all the best were lefties.

I highly recommend schecter, they're very lefty friendly with their offerings and should be fairly comparable to PRS specs

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Embrace your lefty-ness. Our options are more limited sure, but all the best were lefties.

I highly recommend schecter, they're very lefty friendly with their offerings and should be fairly comparable to PRS specs

Counterpoint, I look at people like Knopfler and think "eh, maybe it wouldn't be that bad".

I should add, I was really hoping to get in at the $700-$1000 price point and the Schecters seem to go a bit above that. Really want a single-cut and don't mind replacing pots, pickups, tuning heads, etc. (eventually).

Why can't use lefties enjoy things like greenburst LPs? :smith:

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

nitsuga posted:

All that said, what do you want to know? Also, have you heard the good word of the Boss Katana?

Dropped a couple of videos about them into my playlist, they came up recently as they have new bass amps out.

I live in a flat so I'm not sure if I should look at new amps, I have a 40(?) watt one from my starter pack but apparently 10-15 is plenty for the home, so could maybe look at something better but smaller.

I guess what should I be looking at to go beyond practice on Rocksmith? I'm looking at first pedal vids, considering new guitars or pickups for one I have.

Are there amps out there good for both 6 string and bass?