Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsGNL9K5mUk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Wolfsheim posted:

He got a bunch of celebs coming over to cheer him up immediately afterwards then won the biggest award of his career to a standing ovation so probably not, though the fact that he made it so Jada bald jokes will be en vogue for years is pretty funny

And that's not even getting into whatever number scientology did on him!

Only Denzel and Tyler Perry got up to talk to Will Smith.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

All the posters doing the fighting games thing: y'all are great and putting a smile on my face. Each and every one of you!

Crossposting from the fighting game thread:

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Only Denzel and Tyler Perry got up to talk to Will Smith.

Three black people close together is definitionally an insurrection.

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Amazed at the racial discourse around this specifically as if black men are going around giving open hand slaps all the time and effete white nobility (which these two are pretty close to being the modern equivalent of) over centuries didn't turn the slap into the standard punishment for disrespect.

Last time a slap was this culturally revelant it was on an episode of How I Met Your Mother

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

thrawn527 posted:

The thing is, it's THE OSCARS! WHEN HOLLYWOOD COMES OUT TO PARTY! It's supposed to be the most "glitz and glam" night of the year for Hollywood. Someone walking up and slapping someone else during it just isn't "supposed to happen". Which is dumb, but also why it's so shocking to people. The nice, pretty people of Hollywood got dressed up all fancy, and then one of them smacked another one of them on stage. Like, he got out of the audience, up on stage, and just smacked him. Which is not, sorry for borrowing a phrase, "part of the plan".

As someone else said, if this had happened at the after party, and we heard stories about it, maybe even seen a sort of blurry video that we were still pretty drat sure was Will Smith and Chris Rock, no one would care. "Oh, looks like Smith and Rock got into it at the after party because of that joke. That's kinda funny." And then that's it. But instead it broke the rules. It happened during the big event, when everyone is supposed to be jerking each other off, but in a fancy, clean way.

Whatever you think of the use of violence, the way it was done is kind of amazing, because it brought the entertainment world to a halt.

fake edit: It's like the Janet Jackson/Justin Timberlake Super Bowl thing. Sure, we've all seen someone topless before. But how it happened is what's making everyone lose their minds. You can't just remove context like that.

real edit:

It doesn't matter. They're not taking his Oscar away. Anyone suggesting this has gone insane.

I guess me being a person who doesn't care about the Oscars is part of the reason I can't wrap my head around the "big deal" part of the whole thing. My brain just defaults to seeing it the way I would a conflict between two regular people without context or celebrity factoring into it.

Like, yeah it's lovely to hit people, but when you intentionally say provocative poo poo in order to get an emotional reaction sometimes you're going to be on the receiving end of a pissed off emotional reaction. Just have both dudes apologize for crossing a line and move on with their lives the way normal people do.

Wittgen posted:

They shouldn't take the Oscar away but they should give him a statue in a slapping pose and insist that the statuettes always be displayed together.

Okay but that's an awesome thing to have and if you give him that literally every other celebrity will want a "Slappy" too and thus the great slap wars will begin.

teagone posted:

Crossposting from the fighting game thread:

This is art.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 29, 2022

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
The best outcome to this debacle is that Jada actually star in GI Jane 2

The joke isn't even that mean spirited, I mean isn't the whole point that Demi Moore is a badass female soldier

Also wasn't Jada's last major film role General Niobe anyway, she is playing military commanders

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The best outcome to this debacle is that Jada actually star in GI Jane 2

The joke isn't even that mean spirited, I mean isn't the whole point that Demi Moore is a badass female soldier

Also wasn't Jada's last major film role General Niobe anyway, she is playing military commanders

Nah, to all of this. Particularity to the notion that what Pinkett-Smith was looking for was being a 'badass female warrior'.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 29, 2022

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Whether she was looking for it or not the point is it was harmless. Hence Rock's rightful incredulity "it was GI Jane joke".

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Clearly it wasn't harmless.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Whether she was looking for it or not the point is it was harmless. Hence Rock's rightful incredulity "it was GI Jane joke".

Mental health being disrupted by someone making fun of their physical appearance = harmless

Good to know.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay but that's an awesome thing to have and if you give him that literally every other celebrity will want a "Slappy" too and thus the great slap wars will begin.

A strong argument for the institution of the Slappy.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1508587161402105866

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It was specifically a joke about how it is “funny” when a woman is bald. It’s “funny” because baldness in women is especially rare and therefor freakish

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

It was specifically a joke about how it is “funny” when a woman is bald. It’s “funny” because baldness in women is especially rare and therefor freakish

No the joke is that Jada looks like Demi Moore in the 1997 film GI Jane, the implications you're drawing from that are a long bow

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gonna save this to spring on mfs who say poo poo about the alien prequels

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I wish we could get them out the loving theatres

BiggestBatman
Aug 23, 2018
Cant wait for "What film won best picture at the oscars where Will smith slapped Chris Rock?" to be a legitimate and frankly difficult question at bar trivia

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
i don't care who was on the right or wrong here, this moment gave me both Jojo AND Berserk memes and for that I am grateful

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

thank god they watermarked it

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Chris Rock made a documentary about cultural perceptions of black women's hair (and how that affects them) like a decade ago, so he is not someone who can pretend he didn't know what buttons he was pushing.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

No the joke is that Jada looks like Demi Moore in the 1997 film GI Jane, the implications you're drawing from that are a long bow

You're being deliberately obtuse. There's a difference between shaving one's head and balding, and you can't make that joke without drawing direct attention to Pinkett-Smith's alopecia, of which she has publicly opened up about having fears and insecurities about.

"... My hair has been a big part of me. Taking care of my hair has been a beautiful ritual, you know? And having the choice to have hair or not, and then one day to be like, ‘Oh, my God, I might not have the choice.'"

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2022

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

deety posted:

Chris Rock made a documentary about cultural perceptions of black women's hair (and how that affects them) like a decade ago, so he is not someone who can pretend he didn't know what buttons he was pushing.

Hmmm....would you say most victims of assault were asking for it by mouthing off :grin:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I'm willing to eat poo poo on this comment because I'm white AF, but it was also kind of bizarre to make a jab about a Black lady with a shaved head because that's not that unusual. Not that it would be okay if she was a different race, but I didn't know about Jada's condition, and she didn't look out of the ordinary to me. I have friends and coworkers who have chosen to go pretty close to shaved. I feel like with the context after the fact it felt kinda hard to not to feel like he knew about the condition was being actively lovely.

But then again, the whole, "Javier you're gonna sleep on the couch if you win and Penelope doesn't! WOKA WOKA" bit points to Rock just kinda being a hack these days.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Mar 29, 2022

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

Wolfsheim posted:

Hmmm....would you say most victims of assault were asking for it by mouthing off :grin:

Why are you interpreting some context about why that joke was extra lovely as a defense of Smith? Some folks in this thread have been acting like what he said wasn't that bad, but Chris Rock, producer and star of Good Hair, had a lot more reason than the average male celebrity to know that he could be poking at a sore spot.

That doesn't mean he should have been slapped for it, but do we really have to add a bunch of caveats to any criticism of Rock now?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Insulting someone's medical condition under the guise of humor is low-rent by any comedic standard. More so if the person is being insulted in front of thousands of their peers on live TV. That at the very least, is well deserving of a smack upside the head lmao.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Ai-yai-yai, the pearl clutching about a mediocre joke compared to the normalisation of violence is genuinely odd.

As is claiming Chris Rock's joke is sexist without considering the gender implications of what Will Smith did.

Will Smith was publicly humiliated in the public consciousness with the August Alsina 'entanglements' debacle, with memes galore about him being a cuck.

Attacking Chris Rock and the tirade "leave my wife's name out of it" (notably the emphasis being on the possessive quality of it - a male ego contest - not calling her 'Jada' etc.,) was an unleashing of that and a projection of trying to be an alpha male, meanwhile looking insecure and out of control instead.

Women are capable of speaking for themselves - men punching other men for violating their 'possessions' because the other men joked about them, is not a good thing to encourage. If Jada Pinkett-Smith was upset with the joke, she could have spoke out afterwards etc., using her own voice. Instead Will robbed her of that in an act of violent narcissism. "It's the role of men to protect women by beating up men who make jokes about women, who should never be joked about" is not a progressive attitude.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

At the end of the day, the jojo memes were probably the best thing to come out of this whole ordeal.

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Ai-yai-yai, the pearl clutching about a mediocre joke compared to the normalisation of violence is genuinely odd.

As is claiming Chris Rock's joke is sexist without considering the gender implications of what Will Smith did.

Will Smith was publicly humiliated in the public consciousness with the August Alsina 'entanglements' debacle, with memes galore about him being a cuck.

Attacking Chris Rock and the tirade "leave my wife's name out of it" (notably the emphasis being on the possessive quality of it - a male ego contest - not calling her 'Jada' etc.,) was an unleashing of that and a projection of trying to be an alpha male, meanwhile looking insecure and out of control instead.

Women are capable of speaking for themselves - men punching other men for violating their 'possessions' because the other men joked about them, is not a good thing to encourage. If Jada Pinkett-Smith was upset with the joke, she could have spoke out afterwards etc., using her own voice. Instead Will robbed her of that in an act of violent narcissism. "It's the role of men to protect women by beating up men who make jokes about women, who should never be joked about" is not a progressive attitude.

Will Smith should slap this post imo.

teagone fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 29, 2022

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Violence is sometimes really funny.

Drop the pearls and enjoy it

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Alopecia is sometimes funny

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
cold: the joke was sexist
old: the slap was toxic masculinity
bold: https://twitter.com/kiwehhh/status/1508508169596665861

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t have it so it’s not really a burn to me. I guess you can ask the people who deal with it if it’s funny

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Women are capable of speaking for themselves
:ironicat:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Mark yourself safe in this post slap violence normalized Monday.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Best tracks on Dune soundtrack? Gotta listen to it again now that’s it’s a winner.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Violence has been normal for a very long time. You’re actually reacting against the ab-normalization of violence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

checkplease posted:

Best tracks on Dune soundtrack? Gotta listen to it again now that’s it’s a winner.

The Atreides theme. Accept no substitutes.