Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

kaleedity posted:

malenia has great poise when she does a lot of her moves but during some moves and her normal walking she gets pushed around by almost anything

radahn's fatal strategic flaw in caelid was simply not sending three large friendly dogs to stunlock her to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lmao, we were at a crossroads in the war-dead catacomb. I was out of mana, they were out of mana. They didn't want to come down the stairs I didn't want to go up.

I put on the "look human" talisman and slowly approached. Then I put my weapons away. Then we took ten minutes beating the poo poo out of each barehanded lmao, 2 damage at a time

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

On my attempts with her I just basically skipped phase 1 every time by spamming swarm of flies lol. Minimum specs for it too. In theory this will also work in phase 2 but I had better luck with the giant sword strategy as her punish windows are a lot bigger in that one

She is definitely cheesable, it's just not like on the level of AI shuts down cheese. You're gonna have to get a bit lucky or a bit good regardless

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

probably of equal interest to people doing PVE/PVP, but there's a really well-researched casting speed video, with the tl;dw that it's a worthwhile investment if you're using spells heavily in PVP and aren't just running stuff like catch flame/bestial sling for mixups or interrupts, and has good value in PVE when it comes to being able to fit spells into frenetic boss fights more often. 40 dex + radagon's is admittedly a tall ask for most builds, but it's likely worth it, speaking from personal experience with dex boosting

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MarshyMcFly posted:

Time to rate the soundtrack! My top 5:

1. Godskin duo
2. Erdtree knight
3. Godfrey, First Elden Lord
4. Erdtree Avatar
5. Elden Ring

What is your top 5?

Niall's fight has some thumping strings in it, I guess that was kind of neat. None of the battle themes really stick out for me though.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

after invading every night for a couple weeks with my arcane hoslows build I took it to the 1v1 arena at main academy gate. it is tons and tons of fun. i wasn't able to find summon signs at First Step or Frozen Lake.
one thing I've never understood about souls pvp--there's an agreed upon level meta so people can find duel partners, but surely it's not so tight to prevent someone from putting their sign down and getting hits 5 or 10 levels above that, right? i thought it was a wide window.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

after invading every night for a couple weeks with my arcane hoslows build I took it to the 1v1 arena at main academy gate. it is tons and tons of fun. i wasn't able to find summon signs at First Step or Frozen Lake.
one thing I've never understood about souls pvp--there's an agreed upon level meta so people can find duel partners, but surely it's not so tight to prevent someone from putting their sign down and getting hits 5 or 10 levels above that, right? i thought it was a wide window.

i don't think anyone's done enough testing to determine the ranges but i'd imagine it's probably broad enough to accommodate 5-10 level swings

the 125 meta's more a gentleman's agreement for people who want to do that, there's not really anything aside from your gamer's honor that prevents you from fudging the number a little

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7080336956550483246

Bow & arrow strategy against Malenia, pretty thrilling end

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Finally took down Maliketh after what felt like about fifty attempts. I feel like it was mostly the RNG being kind to me but drat it's pretty hard to survive in Phase 2 long enough to learn much of it. God help you if you're caught out of position when he does the double 360 or the anime slash because that's a stunlock kill from anything other than full health.

It's almost a good fight but I still maintain that it's overtuned in its current form. nerf pls

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Since I spent the weekend playing GT7, I spent this evening trying to make some more progress from where I left off (right after beating Godrick).

I returned to Roundtable Hold to meet with the Two Fingers, and I have say, I did not expect them to literally be a pair of giant sentient(?) fingers conjoined by a partial palm.

I made my down to Liurnia, which I had partially scouted. I was having trouble finding the key into Raya Lucaria. The player messages said to seek out a dragon for the key, and I remembered seeing a dragon previously, but I forgot where. Eventually, though, I realized I could refer to the map I found near the grace.

Fighting the dragon was pretty easy, though it took me three tries, with me dying on the second attempt with just a single hit on the dragon left. :sigh: Raya Lucaria hasn't been too tough, though getting in range to kill the mages is tough, which makes me think I need to invest in arrows and bow upgrades.

Next up is the red wolf boss, I think.

Eventually, I'm going to post my current stats to see if I'm building my character poorly (right now, I feel like I'm spreading my stats out too much).

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If the mages are annoying and you've cleared out the area of items you want to pick up you can just sprint straight to the red wolf boss door and you'll get there mostly unscathed. Well, then you have to fight the red wolf boss of course.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Yeah I beat maliketh just trying to practice the parry timing because he never shifted aggro off my mimic tear and I just got enough damage on him to knock him over. I dunno what the odds of that are but I assume they're astronomical

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Finally took down the double gargoyles. Even with an extra ten levels and a +10 Mimic, it was a stupid fight that boiled down to how much the gargoyles felt like running around. First two attempts were wipes where I spent 90% of the fight chasing after the first one while it hopped all over the place, third try the fucker stood still for a little while and I staggered it and killed it in short order before mopping up #2. Really just an amazingly pointless design.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I think it is a testament to how broken corpse piler is in PVE that I knocked the twin gargoyles over with absolutely no problems despite them being completely immune to bleed

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Malikeths armor + chaos flame ending was pretty dope :cool:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ever since the hoarfrost nerf, against mean bosses i like to use a gigantic hammer and the lion's claw skill to be able to trade their hit for mine no matter what they're doing. then hopefully the mimic and my dodging lets me get a heal in. i love not having a brain

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My new favorite weapon set up is two Colossus Halberds, one set up with Earthshaker and the other set up for Prayerful Strike. Jumping L1s, Earthshaker for stagger and AoE, and Prayerful Strike for pancaking and getting HP. It's fun!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Max Wilco posted:

Eventually, I'm going to post my current stats to see if I'm building my character poorly (right now, I feel like I'm spreading my stats out too much).

The general advice will be to get just enough stats to use the toys that interest you and then put the rest into vigor. Do not worry about mind, endurance, or getting extra damage from stat scaling until you have plenty of HP.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
This post is for cowcaster and thunder East only, if you have an aversion to game clips then please ready your scrolling finger.

https://twitter.com/MadDrBeetus/status/1508676916311564290?t=Ky5ZZqdYg_OM9vGjr4D2oQ&s=19

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

That Dang Dad posted:

Maybe I'm a complete idiot but this tip was absolutely nothing. Didn't work at all, she just kind of dodged/poised around everything. You almost have to respect that From made nearly every boss effortlessly cheeseable one way or another but Malenia they were like "Look, she's optional... what if she was just irreparably unfun?". No shortcuts here, this is the one boss you have to actually deal with. With the most tedious gimmick to boot!

Elden Ring is such a fascinating game because it is unquestionably the magnum opus of a team/director, the pinnacle of their efforts over a decade, while at the same time exposing their biggest flaws that they'll apparently never correct. I'm really taken by the concept of a masterpiece that still kind of de-sanctifies its creator. ER is a game I've put over a hundred hours into, a game I think about all the time, and one that has for sure lessened my opinion of Miyazaki as a director and a creative lead. I think he really needs more pushback and creative friction on his next project but given how well ER has sold, who knows what kind of coaching or guidance he's gonna get? I really hope he gets the opportunity to grow more and improve as a designer because I think 80% of his instincts are really strong

Lot of assumptions here. How do you know Miyazaki didn't receive any "pushback and creative friction" on this game?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
why are hunters always such trash

I giggle with joy everytime I invade and I see they're calling a hunter, because I know I'll get an easy warmup before the 1v2 main event.

whoever I invaded in the capital outskirts that was running taunters tongue, I owe a beer to for letting me fight hunters 1 and 2 at a time before he finally turned up to turn me into mulch.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Rockstar Massacre posted:

I giggle with joy everytime I invade and I see they're calling a hunter, because I know I'll get an easy warmup before the 1v2 main event.

whoever I invaded in the capital outskirts that was running taunters tongue, I owe a beer to for letting me fight hunters 1 and 2 at a time before he finally turned up to turn me into mulch.

They enable the item and then 30 hours pass before it activates and they have on-average a fuckton less pvp experience than anyone doing invasions in addition to a build which is unlikely to be optimized for pvp.

But yeah. I always get excited about blue cops during invasions because they're often just free flasks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Every time I've been summoned as a hunter I've been in the middle of loving around with new weapons or something

After the fifth time I just turned it off

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Trash Trick posted:

They enable the item and then 30 hours pass before it activates and they have on-average a fuckton less pvp experience than anyone doing invasions in addition to a build which is unlikely to be optimized for pvp.

But yeah. I always get excited about blue cops during invasions because they're often just free flasks.

Sometimes they're just weirdly salty PVP cops. I've had a few hunters who would just show up and sit down trying to force a duel between me and the guy who'd invaded, running away and spamming emotes any time they were targeted or hit.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

2house2fly posted:

Lot of assumptions here. How do you know Miyazaki didn't receive any "pushback and creative friction" on this game?

everything I don't like about the game is an irreparable flaw caused by Miyazaki personally

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
hi, it's me, the one person who didn't realize that nepheli was Godfrey/Hoarah Loux's daughter until i literally saw her summon sign outside the boss door. Now I know why she's the Lord of Limgrave, I guess. I just figured Kenneth thought she had good vibes!!!

Now, question for the thread: is the point of no return before or after the final boss fight? I plan on getting all three main endings, and I want to know when I should back up my save. Does killing the final boss lock you into a room to make a decision, or can I kill it and then go do the frenzy flame questline?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
2 hours trying to beat Malenia:

"This is impossible I'm giving up"

"Have you tried jump attacking?"

"How the gently caress is that going to help look it's useless - oh she died"

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Blaziken386 posted:

hi, it's me, the one person who didn't realize that nepheli was Godfrey/Hoarah Loux's daughter until i literally saw her summon sign outside the boss door. Now I know why she's the Lord of Limgrave, I guess. I just figured Kenneth thought she had good vibes!!!

Now, question for the thread: is the point of no return before or after the final boss fight? I plan on getting all three main endings, and I want to know when I should back up my save. Does killing the final boss lock you into a room to make a decision, or can I kill it and then go do the frenzy flame questline?

I suspect she's not his actual daughter, but a distant relative more likely. His lineage but not direct child. If only because her sitaution with Gideon seems very very recent whereas Godfrey was tarnished and banished very long ago.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Im at this point in the game where i just need to be killing dudes constantly. I need blood. I need invaders all the time so i can kill them. Feels dull without demons to slay

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

That Dang Dad posted:

Maybe I'm a complete idiot but this tip was absolutely nothing. Didn't work at all, she just kind of dodged/poised around everything. You almost have to respect that From made nearly every boss effortlessly cheeseable one way or another but Malenia they were like "Look, she's optional... what if she was just irreparably unfun?". No shortcuts here, this is the one boss you have to actually deal with. With the most tedious gimmick to boot!

Elden Ring is such a fascinating game because it is unquestionably the magnum opus of a team/director, the pinnacle of their efforts over a decade, while at the same time exposing their biggest flaws that they'll apparently never correct. I'm really taken by the concept of a masterpiece that still kind of de-sanctifies its creator. ER is a game I've put over a hundred hours into, a game I think about all the time, and one that has for sure lessened my opinion of Miyazaki as a director and a creative lead. I think he really needs more pushback and creative friction on his next project but given how well ER has sold, who knows what kind of coaching or guidance he's gonna get? I really hope he gets the opportunity to grow more and improve as a designer because I think 80% of his instincts are really strong

Ya its the former, sorry mate

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Blues Be Bad

some things never change

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

IronicDongz posted:

Blues Be Bad

some things never change

:haibrow:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tulNBChQ_HY

I must study jeremy's brain

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Elden Ring is a souls game with all the baggage that comes with it.

Sekiro is 10/10 masterpiece of an action game that shows how versatile FROM and Miyazaki can be if they choose to.

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHOrOzrtwi8

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Did they stealth nerf that trap door in stormveil? I could have sworn on my 1st playthrough it shut every time until you killed the knight. I guess too many people hyperfocused on it and not letting 900 runes per failure melt in there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Did they stealth nerf that trap door in stormveil? I could have sworn on my 1st playthrough it shut every time until you killed the knight. I guess too many people hyperfocused on it and not letting 900 runes per failure melt in there.

no

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Malenia is cool and good

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

That Dang Dad posted:

malenia is fun precisely because she's so difficult and punishing. brass balls to put her in the game, and then make her heal on hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Move over Bloodhound Step, Raptor of the Mists is my new best friend.

Seriously though, this ash of war is excellent. It's like a suped up version of the Mist Raven from Sekiro. I'm finding it far more useful for my melee only build because it let's you stay in the face of your enemy constantly without having to reposition.

The actual best part of this is that the little crouching animation dodges half the swings I've seen and if it doesn't hit it costs no FP.

I super recommend this for anyone running melee. It's a lot of fun. Apparently it works on Chariot dungeons as well.