Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Who among us has not wanted to slap Chris Rock at some point?

I watched Spiral which he produced as well as starting in and let me say, a slap would be getting off light

Noxville fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

forkboy84 posted:

If not for the slap I don't think I'd have realised the Smiths were scientologist.

But on the other hand I'd have not had to hear about this bollocks for more than 24 hours so not really worth it

Oh no I keep hearing about a thing I can't stop talking about.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
You never hear much about scientology any more actually, do you? I wonder if it's on the wane, or if trump and qanon just shoved it out of the limelight. No, I will NOT do any of my own research into this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

You never hear much about scientology any more actually, do you? I wonder if it's on the wane, or if trump and qanon just shoved it out of the limelight. No, I will NOT do any of my own research into this.

I miss the crowds of young 4channers in town wearing V for Vendetta masks and picketing the Scientology building, they must have thought they were on the ramparts keeping civilisation from collapsing.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
It used to be a weird anomaly, but now that weird anomalies are the norm it just seems normal and not interesting. Honestly a bunch of celebrities being involved in some nice group to do something nice and normal would be more shocking at this point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There has been some absolutely derranged combing-over of the footage with people insisting that because Smith initially laughed and then his face changed & he went up, Jada must have ordered him to do it. Which is mysogynistic in the opposite direction to the property angle.

More likely he laughed to be polite, and then it clicked what the reference meant, saw she was upset, and snapped.

Or he laughed, then looked over at his wife and saw that she was upset. Like human beings do.

And Chris Rock knew that he had no business making that joke. He wrote a loving documentary about how important hairstyles are to black women.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

I sometimes wonder about this. I also remember when the evolution v. creationism debate was all the rage. My god, I never would have thought at the time that the world was destined to get stupider. Bush was the very height of stupidity to me back then. In retrospect he comes across as a goddamn master class in statesmanship

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Help me I'm reminiscing about the past! :cloud:

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jakabite posted:

I think it’s pretty funny to go up on stage on national tv and slap Chris Rock for taking the piss out of your wife’s medical condition, and if anyone did that for me I’d think that was quite nice of them. Not that they thought they owned me.

Exactly, and everyone going "What about her agency?" seems to be missing (or ignoring) that Will didn't even realise anything was wrong until Jada told him what the joke was. She had agency, she used it, Will did get it wrong by going up and hitting Chris, but it's understandable that Will reacted to defend her like this and none of y'all need to worry about him overriding the agency that she had and used.

Also in my headcannon Jada actually just reminded Will of the movie Spiral and that's why he did it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

South Park must have come out on top. Those brave tellers of truths.

I'm guessing all the people involved have just collectively agreed not to talk about it in public after the decade of bad press they got.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The cult has been slowly dying ever since. None of the UK 'Ideal Orgs' have been created, and the buildings purchased for them have been left to rot. It became very difficult for them to recruit new members, and more and more old members are leaving or dying. So yeah, it's definitely on the wane, though sadly still with large cash reserves.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

And yet people are banging on like it has any relevance to their lives so they can say "yeah I would commit sick ultraviolence if a balaclava man scissor-kicked my wife in a Tesco carpark". Like, ok, that's marvellous

Is anyone actually doing this?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Yes, I imagined several people doing this and I'm going to slap the poo poo out of them

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I've defended my girlfriend's honour before at a party whilst slightly inebriated. I missed and fell over and had to delay getting up to make sure someone was definitely coming to restrain me and I wouldn't have to go through all this again.

The Saviour
Feb 19, 2006

Umbra Dubium posted:

This guy keeps killing me in Elden Ring.

Melissa McCarthyism posted:

Thanks, I actually WFH on a telephony based occupation, so there is no barking at all during the day. They're really well behaved.

They bark in the morning, which is the only time they will make noise, and around 7am, which may be unpalatable to anyone trying to snooze. I'm up as soon as I hear it to let them out.

Thanks for the tips though - we recently took in a pup, and she's fairly vocal for her age (wouldn't say she was generating a appreciable amount of decibels) - so I'll be focusing on training her to be quiet. The other two are trained, Leon would bark at people approaching the house - but that's why I have him!

Just to follow up, if you are a council tenant, it means the neighbour below has raised it as an issue to where the council have had to action it. They wont take any serious actions at the first complaint, especially if you've explained your situation to them as above.

Where i work, a serious noise complaint, is something that can be proved as persistent, and regular through unsocialable hours, late night, early morning.

We would also try and get you and the neighbour to resolve the issue, and it's curious he didn't speak to you about the noise first.

Essentially even with a recording of your dogs. Even if they are your dogs, without another neighbour to corroborate that you are noisey, there isnt much more the landlord can do, than pass on a warning letter, even that would be a stretch. Basing this on working in Scotland though.

I would be wary now, that the neighbour doesn't report you to the RSPCA. I've seen neighbours call in about animals in distress in order to get additional evidence of neglect. Thats an evil bastard move though.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

stev posted:

South Park must have come out on top. Those brave tellers of truths.

I'm guessing all the people involved have just collectively agreed not to talk about it in public after the decade of bad press they got.

Fashion moved on. The South Park episode was the transition between the second and third waves of anti-Scientology protest (first wave: initial leaks in the 80s, second was the Scientology vs. The Internet thing that started on Usenet and continued onto 4Chan, third was the period of high-profile Scientologists leaving and joining in the protests), and once it was in the mainstream like that it was always going to fade away because everyone dusted their hands and went "Welp, we've made jokes about Xenu, problem solved" - it was just that year's Kony 2012.

(Also lol that Chrome's spellcheck knows Xenu and not Kony)

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes, I imagined several people doing this and I'm going to slap the poo poo out of them

So, like an mrna vaccine, you just made up a guy so you could get mad at them?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
mma vaccine :hmmyes:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The South Park episode ... "Welp, we've made jokes about" ... Kony 2012.
That combination did lead in turn to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VPxmXPFOvY

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I still sing that on pretty much a daily basis. It's an earworm I've been cursed with.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1508726370985295883

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It's actually very easy to come to the correct take on the Oscars thing. By way of analogy assume that Jada Smith is Ukraine, Chris Rock is Vladimir Putin, and Will Smith is NATO. Now,

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

Oh poo poo, what’s Jada’s username? Is she Jaelani?

(If she was actually in this forum then yes, I’d have been white-knighting her. But she’s not and I’m not).

There are some views in here that I disagree with but I see where they’re coming from. Your comment was just silly. (Unless you were joking in which case the jokes on me for not getting it).

Don't doxx me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

keep punching joe posted:

I still sing that on pretty much a daily basis. It's an earworm I've been cursed with.

Goons all know a guy who has so to speak jacked it in San Diego

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

fuctifino posted:

None of the UK 'Ideal Orgs' have been created, and the buildings purchased for them have been left to rot.

Yeah they bought an historic building down here and have done gently caress all with it since, bar cleaning up some fly-tipped crap that the local MP asked them to sort. Locals (me included) have been asking the MP and council to force them to sell the building so it can be redeveloped but the MP and council keep saying they would rather the owner sort it out for *reasons*.

e: how it started: https://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/2019-05-20/historic-plymouth-building-to-be-converted-into-south-wests-biggest-scientology-church

how it's going: https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/church-of-scientology-accused-of-allowing-historic-buildings-to-fall-into-disrepair/ar-AATODf9

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Mar 29, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

So, like an mrna vaccine, you just made up a guy so you could get mad at them?

The Strawman Theory of Immunisation

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Rabelais D posted:

Male pattern baldness is another form of alopecia, but it's OK for, say, Gervais to say that Karl Pilkington "has a head like a loving orange" every chance he gets, but it's not OK for Chris Rock to suggest Jada Plinkett Smith get a role in fictional movie GI Jane 2.

Edit: I'm mainly pointing this out because I recently saw the "learn English with Ricky Gervais" video on YouTube, and while I think Gervais is painfully unfunny, he goes on at length about Karl's baldness making him resemble a hairless testicle etc., and it's all seen as good fun even though Karl seems to hate it. Ricky definitely deserves a slap too

Ive seen a few people with this take and its not great. alopecia just means hair loss. So yes, Jada Pinkett Smith and Karl Pilkington both have 'alopecia' but his is due to genes and natural hormone changes as he ages. She has alopecia areata, its an auto-immune disease, with no cure, you can't rich-people hair plug your way out of it.
It also can come and go, so your hair can start coming back and then suddenly out it falls again, and as it falls out in patches an incredibly close shave is the only way to hide it.

Then on top of that she's a black women, her experience is nothing like Karl Pinklingtons.

My (soon to be) father in law has it, when I first met him I thought he was going through chemo as he had no hair at all. No eyebrows, no arm hair, nothing.
We laugh at it now but when my other half did a charity cancer run we all went along to cheer her on, people kept giving her dad sad smile thumbs up, it was very awkward.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You should always slap ricky gervais.

It is always moral.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

fuctifino posted:

The cult has been slowly dying ever since. None of the UK 'Ideal Orgs' have been created, and the buildings purchased for them have been left to rot. It became very difficult for them to recruit new members, and more and more old members are leaving or dying. So yeah, it's definitely on the wane, though sadly still with large cash reserves.

On top of young people having no interest in organised religion thanks to them all being run by boomers who openly despise them, the big effect of Chanology, South Park et al is also likely that no one under 40 can take Scientology remotely seriously anymore. Their entire pitch relies on vagaries and doublespeak to hook people and get them invested (literally) by the time they get to the inner mysteries, and they go after celebrities with a very different pitch to normies, but I imagine their recruiters still don't have any cult-approved real response when people start cracking Xenu and thetan jokes and even celebrities in their bubbles are are of their reputation as money-grubbing weirdos whose followers become crazy people.

IIRC the current leader is also an even crazier rear end in a top hat than you might expect and not taking any of this at all well.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the current leader is also an even crazier rear end in a top hat than you might expect and not taking any of this at all well.

I made him mad once, to the point that he threw a whisky glass at an exec's head.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door

Mega Comrade posted:

Ive seen a few people with this take and its not great. alopecia just means hair loss. So yes, Jada Pinkett Smith and Karl Pilkington both have 'alopecia' but his is due to genes and natural hormone changes as he ages. She has alopecia areata, its an auto-immune disease, with no cure, you can't rich-people hair plug your way out of it.
It also can come and go, so your hair can start coming back and then suddenly out it falls again, and as it falls out in patches an incredibly close shave is the only way to hide it.

Then on top of that she's a black women, her experience is nothing like Karl Pinklingtons.

My (soon to be) father in law has it, when I first met him I thought he was going through chemo as he had no hair at all. No eyebrows, no arm hair, nothing.
We laugh at it now but when my other half did a charity cancer run we all went along to cheer her on, people kept giving her dad sad smile thumbs up, it was very awkward.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain why I am dumb and my post was bad, cheers!

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
ok look let's all stop distracting ourselves with these rich people hitting each other and get back to the important issues. let's take a look at our bold and sophisticated news media and see what hard hitting important questions are being posed to our politicians

e:yeah fair point it's best to spoiler this rampant transphobia

https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1508728282396692483
https://twitter.com/talkRADIO/status/1508729013732265990
https://twitter.com/KayBurley/status/1508714461653307407

Angepain fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 29, 2022

Melissa McCarthyism
Jan 18, 2007

The Saviour posted:

Just to follow up, if you are a council tenant, it means the neighbour below has raised it as an issue to where the council have had to action it. They wont take any serious actions at the first complaint, especially if you've explained your situation to them as above.

Where i work, a serious noise complaint, is something that can be proved as persistent, and regular through unsocialable hours, late night, early morning.

We would also try and get you and the neighbour to resolve the issue, and it's curious he didn't speak to you about the noise first.

Essentially even with a recording of your dogs. Even if they are your dogs, without another neighbour to corroborate that you are noisey, there isnt much more the landlord can do, than pass on a warning letter, even that would be a stretch. Basing this on working in Scotland though.

I would be wary now, that the neighbour doesn't report you to the RSPCA. I've seen neighbours call in about animals in distress in order to get additional evidence of neglect. Thats an evil bastard move though.

My adjoining neighbour has no complaints, and I own this property. There's no feasible way it's a persistent regular occurrence. I'm very curious if I can hear the recordings.

I've been recording everything that's happened so far and I think I may invest in some sort of recording device for assurance.

For what it's worth there hasn't been a peep from my dogs since lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A woman can have as many as 3 penises, any additional will be taxed at a much higher rate

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The penis question is moronic but also simultaneously pretty ok as a moron filter

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I think it was all fake.

If you are a racist bunch of moustache twirling cunts, how would you cleanse yourselves of the "oscars so white" stain on your fruity little get together?

Why, by making the defining image for all eyes to see two black men up on stage of course. On the cover of every magazine, on every news channel and youtube clip.

And how do you do it while maintaining the status quo? Keeping the black man down? By perpetuating stereotypes of black-on-black violence of course. A slap for the ages.

And the :discourse:? Because you simply CANNOT exist for another moment without huffing your own farts. In perfect self-celebratory form, they gave him a prize for being the best actor.

That's it. That's my hottest take.

e: also satire before I get probed and berated. I could not, cannot, even begin to give a gently caress about it

jiggerypokery fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Mar 29, 2022

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fair play to Raynor for trying although not arguing it in the best way.

loving love that the TERF culture war is back in full swing just as Partygate Part 2 is trying to emerge

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Comrade Fakename posted:

Yeah, that’s my point. Gossip is fine, and understandable. But this has descended into “but what does this mean for our society!?” “Here’s a searing takedown of one side of an extremely common squabble” “Here’s how Will Smith hitting Chris Rock relates to Chinese geopolitical posturing, a subject I am an expert on”.

This is a big event, that people are going to remark upon. But those remarks don’t have to, and frankly shouldn’t, be much more complicated than “holy poo poo the Fresh Prince slapped that famous comedian in the face on the stage at the Oscars!!”

The part that gets me is how some people on Twitter are trying to explain how if you are discussing this being about a slap without looking at some other vantage point then you have missed the point or lost at social media.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Looking at it as a slap is wrong because from a rotation around the imaginary axis, and with a slight tapering of the lens you can see it was actually a kick.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

You should always slap ricky gervais.

It is always moral.

At last, something on which we can all agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Weird, apparently there's intermittent power cuts across a big chunk of south and east London, all because of a single cable failure - postcodes affected include:

quote:

BR2 0
BR2 9
CR4 4
DA16 7
E1 0
E1 1
E1 2
e1 3
E1 3
E1 4
E1 5
E1 8
E1 9
E14 0
E14 2
E14 3
E14 4
E14 5
E14 6
E14 7
E14 8
E14 9
E14 X
E16 2
E1W 2
E1W 3
E3 4
E3 5
E4 9
IG1 4
N4 2
SE1 6
SE23 1
SE5 8
SW19 2
SW1P 2
SW1X 9
W6 8

but power seems to be on in the majority of homes in those areas. Not sure if it's an actual large-scale issue or some kind of reporting artifact, especially with the amount of non-contiguous areas affected.