Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Skull is exactly the vibe you're looking for, it's similar to liars dice. Maybe cockroach poker, if you want everyone bluffing constantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

!Klams posted:

We're also gonna do werewolf at some point. There's a guy coming who essentially lives for DnD, that runs just the BEST games of Werewolf

Potentially look at a PNP version of Blood on the Clocktower if it could be organised.
It's like Werewolf, but better - and it would require someone to act as the storyteller and control the game.

Past that honestly look at the Jackbox games which can support a lot of players

Anything past 10 sorta gets tricky for recommendations.

!Klams posted:

My question to you guys is if you had any ideas of how we could spice it up, or if you had any cool ideas for similar stuff?

Pay the stripper to play Warhammer

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Carillon posted:

Anyone played For-Ex? I saw it on bga now and it looks really interesting, but one of the guys who I play games with said you have to read the rules and then think about it for a while before you're even ready to go. I'm gonna try it anyways, but was curious for any good thoughts.

I disagree with your friend, the barrier to entry isn't that high. Or rather, it's not a game where you can work out by reading the rulebook and then thinking about it. You need to play it a bunch, which hopefully will be fun but possibly won't be. A lot of Holland's games are really unusual machines where the path to victory is extremely unclear, and For-Ex may be the most opaque of all of them. If you check out the publisher description on BGG, it tells you that you probably won't like it and should try something else instead, and she reliably vents that people did not take her seriously. The rules are fairly light if counter-intuitive in places, it doesn't take hours to play. Once everyone is sure of the rules, just play it while doing your best to win. If you discover some degenerate strategies, that's probably part of the joy. I remember having a lot of fun forcing people to bail me out because if they didn't we would both lose.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 29, 2022

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

silvergoose posted:

Skull is exactly the vibe you're looking for, it's similar to liars dice. Maybe cockroach poker, if you want everyone bluffing constantly.

Ah yeah, both good shouts actually, I own both of these too, lol. I'll take them along for sure.

Infinitum posted:

Potentially look at a PNP version of Blood on the Clocktower if it could be organised.
It's like Werewolf, but better - and it would require someone to act as the storyteller and control the game.

Past that honestly look at the Jackbox games which can support a lot of players

Anything past 10 sorta gets tricky for recommendations.

Pay the stripper to play Warhammer

These are all really really good ideas. I'm like legit 50 / 50 on the last one.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Amabel Holland is her name.

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 29, 2022

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Frozen Peach posted:

Annabel Holland is her name.

Isn't it Amabel? And I thought the Holland was a discord joke due to her company's name.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Mr. Squishy posted:

Isn't it Amabel? And I thought the Holland was a discord joke due to her company's name.

Amabel is correct. Autocorrect hosed me. But, no Holland is her real last name.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mr. Squishy posted:

To think that we've been laughing at Peter Eggert all these years for nothing.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Infinitum posted:

Well gently caress, now I'm all about trying to get myself a copy of this, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere? I mean, hell, I'd pay for a PnP version, but that's not possible either? Any ideas?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

!Klams posted:

Well gently caress, now I'm all about trying to get myself a copy of this, but it doesn't seem to be available anywhere? I mean, hell, I'd pay for a PnP version, but that's not possible either? Any ideas?

I've not been following it closely, but I think the BotC people were surprised by their KS success and have been floundering a bit in production. Print and Play copies aren't really something you should buy, but make for your own use. They're often licensed just for personal use. They don't want someone else to get rich selling copies of their game. There are official PnP files on BGG, and you can either work the laminator and rotary cutter yourself, or figure out what you want a local print-shop to do for you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

!Klams posted:

It's a KS game, and has been stuck in development hell for years - Devs just want to make it better and better and better, instead of just releasing the loving thing.

I would legit just investigate making your own PNP copy of it.

NRB does regular plays of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjBGVW67Igs

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Carillon posted:

Anyone played For-Ex? I saw it on bga now and it looks really interesting, but one of the guys who I play games with said you have to read the rules and then think about it for a while before you're even ready to go. I'm gonna try it anyways, but was curious for any good thoughts.

The only thing you need to read, as Mr Squishy said, is the designer note Amabel wrote. It’s printed on the back of the box so it’s very easy to find and it is 100% serious. Understanding the mechanics is important sure, because you won’t understand how to approach making money without knowing how the game works. But having a coherent strategy is really something that you can only do after a few plays because the game is so different depending on how people are behaving.

I’m very glad Mary pressured her into publishing it though, it is delightfully weird and it’s fun to pull out and get frustrated at. It also feels like bitcoin simulator if you pump and dump a currency and either hold the bag, or make it out like a bandit

Fellis fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 29, 2022

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.
I think another very important thing to have for For-Ex is buy-in from your group. I tried it once with a few friends as 'hey let's look at this weird thing' and it was not good times. I was the only one printing contracts or trying to start shenanigans - without buying in to the concept or any way to understand the levers, everyone else was just making tiny safe moves bumping markets and then putting them back next turn. After 40 minutes or so I just apologized that nobody was enjoying themselves and we moved on.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Fellis posted:

The only thing you need to read, as Mr Squishy said, is the designer note Amabel wrote. It’s printed on the back of the box so it’s very easy to find and it is 100% serious.

Is it digitised on the internet anywhere? I'm kind of curious what it says but all I can find by searching are oblique references to what it said but not the actual text.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

potatocubed posted:

Is it digitised on the internet anywhere? I'm kind of curious what it says but all I can find by searching are oblique references to what it said but not the actual text.

This was in my twitter feed. Hi Edward?

https://twitter.com/HeavyCardboard/status/1508894658470027276?t=oYwr9dmjekaRJcDDixZDCA&s=19

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

After reading that I now want to play For-Ex.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Shes Not Impressed posted:

:same: but unfortunately of the people I know who would even consider playing a game this obtuse, the theming kills it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Kind of an odd question but my friend's boyfriend got a café and he recently got into board games. He asked me for recommendations since he's very new to the hobby but, given he lives in Spain which means access to Amazon, I'd much rather ask you guys for what you would recommend to him given the following criteria:

Play length: 30 min - 1 hour max
4-6 players
Low complexity, quick to teach
Preferably no easily lost small components

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Shes Not Impressed posted:

:same:

I imagine I would be spectacularly bad at it, though.

Azran posted:

Kind of an odd question but my friend's boyfriend got a café and he recently got into board games. He asked me for recommendations since he's very new to the hobby but, given he lives in Spain which means access to Amazon, I'd much rather ask you guys for what you would recommend to him given the following criteria:

4-6 players

First game that springs to mind is Flamme Rouge. Plays four out of the box and six with the Peloton expansion.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Azran posted:

4-6 players

Here are some thread-approved suggestions. They're all solid gold in my opinion. I added some very brief descriptions, written in great haste. Follow the link to BGG for more, or if it piques your curiosity, you can ask here for more info.

Plays 6 or more:
Insider It's 20 questions except one person secretly knows the word ahead of time and the goal is to figure out who.
A Fake Artist Goes to New York Similar to the above (same publisher) except everyone's trying to draw something, except one person doesn't know what it is. The goal is to find them without letting them know what the secret word is.
Codenames A modern classic game of team-based word association.
Just One One player has to get a word, and everyone has to write down a hint, but if players write down the same hint, they are both removed.

These games max at 5 but are also very good.
The Crew or The Crew: Deep Sea Co-operative trick taking games (think Hearts) where the goal is to have certain players earn certain tricks.
High Society An auction game where players are bidding for luxuries like vacations and jewelery. Be careful, though, because if you spend the most money out of everyone, you cannot win.

One more thing: I do not know if these games have been published in Spain or in Spanish. They are from publishers all over (Japan, the Czech Republic, the UK, France). However, they are all pretty big hits. Only the very last game (High Society) isone I am unsure if you could get in Spain. However, for that game, you could just get an 'English' copy since outside the rulebook it contains no meaningful words on the components (the cards have numbers but are in French ('1 mille francs') even when it's in English).

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

"When your stuff is too nerdy even for train gamers..." lmao

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

St0rmD posted:

"When your stuff is too nerdy even for train gamers..." lmao

That's like the opposite of damning with faint praise.

Now I wanna try for-ex too

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

The least effective warning sign since making detergents brightly coloured.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I’d never get anyone to play it, and I would be terrible at it if I did, but I would play For-Ex just for the experience. Plus imagine how hard you could out nerd someone when they talk about heavy games they play.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hate numbers and money but yeah, that box makes it sound real appealing

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
It sounds like a dryer version of sidereal confluence? Which is still probably great.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
For-ex is great and recently the author was talking about a potential crypto parodying expansion for it on her twitter, which I earnestly hope sees the light of day.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
As someone that's pretty into 18xx, I wasn't a huge fan of For-Ex but it is certainly unique.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Yeah I gave For-Ex three plays and never really fell in love with it. It doesn't really feel like SidCon at all (not that it was trying to afaik) in response to the person asking about that.

I mean the barrier for entry is "log into BGA" so there's no reason not to try it but I think the box has more truth in it than people here may be assuming. It's an amazing curio but I'd be happy never playing it again.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I gave For-Ex three plays and never really fell in love with it. It doesn't really feel like SidCon at all (not that it was trying to afaik) in response to the person asking about that.

I mean the barrier for entry is "log into BGA" so there's no reason not to try it but I think the box has more truth in it than people here may be assuming. It's an amazing curio but I'd be happy never playing it again.

Oh I just assumed what's written on the box should be taken at face value, and I don't think I'd be very into this game at all, but I absolutely love the way they wrote it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
yeah that's the problem, the designer statement is very compelling! But most people took it as encouragement instead of taking the warning in stride and then got mad online when it turned out they didn't like the game

it is very strange and interesting (and somewhat "simulates" how insane actual for-ex trading is), but it is very much not a "fun" game per se and see this quote

Ceebees posted:

I think another very important thing to have for For-Ex is buy-in from your group. I tried it once with a few friends as 'hey let's look at this weird thing' and it was not good times. I was the only one printing contracts or trying to start shenanigans - without buying in to the concept or any way to understand the levers, everyone else was just making tiny safe moves bumping markets and then putting them back next turn. After 40 minutes or so I just apologized that nobody was enjoying themselves and we moved on.

this is very important if you want to try the game

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For Ex sounds incredible and I want to play it, but my group would not like it in the least. Sometimes it just be like that.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Fellis posted:

yeah that's the problem, the designer statement is very compelling! But most people took it as encouragement instead of taking the warning in stride and then got mad online when it turned out they didn't like the game

That’s not a warning, that’s marketing.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

Fat Samurai posted:

That’s not a warning, that’s marketing.

It’s the marketing equivalent of bright colors on a frog except it turns out humans will take that as a challenge.

I would encourage everyone to try it on BGA! The rules burden is fairly light, and the interface reasonable enough that you can get right to the truly opaque part of it. I’m one of those train game people and I played this three times thinking I could figure it out, and it was just baffling.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

For-Ex is an interesting curio and I would encourage people to try it, but I'm not actually convinced it's a good game. The thing it suffers from is someone making bad plays decides the game more than someone making good plays. It would make clearclaw very angry.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Aramoro posted:

The thing it suffers from is someone making bad plays decides the game more than someone making good plays.

Oh hey, maybe I wouldn't be so bad at this game after all.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Mighty Eris posted:

It’s the marketing equivalent of bright colors on a frog except it turns out humans will take that as a challenge.

I would encourage everyone to try it on BGA! The rules burden is fairly light, and the interface reasonable enough that you can get right to the truly opaque part of it. I’m one of those train game people and I played this three times thinking I could figure it out, and it was just baffling.

Nah, the whole speech is "you're special, we're special, we do our stuff specially for you. This is the Dark Souls of Boardgames". No seller has ever (seriously) said "don't buy stuff from us".

And it works! I'm reading the rules to try it on BGA right now. But it's 100% intended to sell the game, not to prevent people that won't enjoy it from buying it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

No, Amabel deliberately tells people not to buy games if they're not the right game for them.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

silvergoose posted:

No, Amabel deliberately tells people not to buy games if they're not the right game for them.

I'll defer to people who actually know her, then. Happy to see that my cynicism isn't always warranted.

In actual boardgame related things, how is Blood Rage? It seems like a simpler CitOWW? I seem to remember some issues with overproducting stuff, and balance stuff with some cards (Loki stuff?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

silvergoose posted:

For example if you live in Europe at all.