Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Absolutely 100% Royal. Only buy P5 vanilla if you only have a PS3 and can't play it any other way. Even if you don't plan to play the new content there's tons of QOL changes in Royal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

HootTheOwl posted:

I have given up my vigil on a p5 port. And with FF16's trailer music stuck in my head I have decided the time to acquire a ps5 is nigh:

Which p5 is better? Royal or Vanilla?

Royal, it's not even a question. Significant QoL changes over Vanilla, more content, and the new content is good.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Unless buying Royal is just completely impossible, 100% go with that version.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

HootTheOwl posted:

I have given up my vigil on a p5 port. And with FF16's trailer music stuck in my head I have decided the time to acquire a ps5 is nigh:

Royal, no comparison. It adds two social links that are very good, rewrites a third one to be extremely good, adds an additional month to the game and some stylish improvements. And your cat doesn't send you to bed quite as often.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

HootTheOwl posted:

Royal and it's not even close. There are a huge number of QoL changes, the shoddy translation has been improved (although it still isn't great), the dungeons have all been improved (some only a little, some a huge amount), they've added three confidants of which two are excellent. As far as I know the only case for Persona 5 over Royal if you can play both and cost isn't an issue is if your intent is to speedrun it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Even then you'd probably go for Royal and then just not do the 100%, because afaik the QoL and dungeon changes in Royal make the base game much faster at least for casual play. If there's some big skip that's in vanilla and not Royal then maybe.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Even then you'd probably go for Royal and then just not do the 100%, because afaik the QoL and dungeon changes in Royal make the base game much faster at least for casual play. If there's some big skip that's in vanilla and not Royal then maybe.

The difference is that in vanilla dungeons kick you out at 100% alertness and in Royal they just give you multiple fights. Which means there's basically no challenge to running past all the fights in Royal, making it a lot less engaging to play this way.

roomtwofifteen
Jul 18, 2007

Re: holding out for a P5 port, what is the status of the 25th anniversary event? It feels like Atlus is done with announcements for now?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There's three announcements left. There were only supposed to be two, but they added a new one for April, which is the next one.

e: If we're very lucky, the announcements will be P5R port, P3 remake, P6. I do not think we're going to be anywhere near that lucky.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Arist posted:

There's three announcements left. There were only supposed to be two, but they added a new one for April, which is the next one.

e: If we're very lucky, the announcements will be P5R port, P3 remake, P6. I do not think we're going to be anywhere near that lucky.

it'll be a drama cd, overpriced merch only available in japan for a limited time, and a play that will run for one weekend.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Return of the talk show.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Thank you thread.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Decided to check out Atlus site for when the announcements are supposed to go live, and half the wallpapers for the anniversary are already down :effort:

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I honestly can't believe they haven't announced a port yet. It seems like such an easy slam dunk that I can only imagine that there must be some weird licensing thing going on for royal

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
So I finally finished p5.
The impression I got from royal was that it was mostly just a longer version with dlc integrated so I'm annoyed they gave the poo poo version away on ps+ and I had to suffer through it, but also vanilla reviewed so highly I expected a lot more.

Glad I stuck with it and did finish it, despite how frustrated I was near the end.
Wish it was a solid 30 hours shorter. For every good moment there was an equal length bad one, and for every great moment there was a shitload of tedium. Don't agree at all with it's high metacritic average, it's massively well reviewed and far too much of the game is poo poo and annoying. Fun story sometimes, glad I finally saw it after friends hyping it up since 2015. Doubt I'll ever play a mainline persona again.
110 hours, averaging 10 hours a week, the only game I played for 3 months straight. I did hope to like it more, the first 40 hours were great and I got a sunk cost fallacy going on. My feelings towards the game never really recovered fully after summer, futabas dungeon and haru, it sucked all love I had for it away and everything from that point was stubbornly trying to see the end.

I only finally bit the bullet and played p5 because strikers looked fun and its a direct sequel. Now I'm so burnt out I'm not sure when I'll get to playing that.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 26, 2022

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Strikers much shorter, there is far less filler in terms of both gameplay and storytelling, and the writing is improved.

It'd probably be worthwhile to give it a spin after a whole, especially if you got it from PS+ already or something

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

cubicle gangster posted:

So I finally finished p5.
The impression I got from royal was that it was mostly just a longer version with dlc integrated so I'm annoyed they gave the poo poo version away on ps+ and I had to suffer through it, but also vanilla reviewed so highly I expected a lot more.

Glad I stuck with it and did finish it, despite how frustrated I was near the end.
Wish it was a solid 30 hours shorter. For every good moment there was an equal length bad one, and for every great moment there was a shitload of tedium. Don't agree at all with it's high metacritic average, it's massively well reviewed and far too much of the game is poo poo and annoying. Fun story sometimes, glad I finally saw it after friends hyping it up since 2015. Doubt I'll ever play a mainline persona again.
110 hours, averaging 10 hours a week, the only game I played for 3 months straight. I did hope to like it more, the first 40 hours were great and I got a sunk cost fallacy going on. My feelings towards the game never really recovered fully after summer, futabas dungeon and haru, it sucked all love I had for it away and everything from that point was stubbornly trying to see the end.

I only finally bit the bullet and played p5 because strikers looked fun and its a direct sequel. Now I'm so burnt out I'm not sure when I'll get to playing that.
I don't get it dude, I really don't. Time is so finite. To dedicate this much time to a game that didn't grab you is madness.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/harddrivemag/status/1463205730211844097?lang=en is becoming more prophetic every day

But for real though, don't waste time on playing games that you hate, only so much time on the earth and unless you're getting paid it doesn't seem worth it in the slightest

Fwiw I actually really enjoyed p5 all the way through on release. It helps though that I absolutely love slice of life stuff, even if the writing is kinda ham handed sometimes. But just like P4 it doesn't seem to really stick the landing. Pretty excited to revisit Royal at some point

I do kinda wish though that we could go back to the halcyon days of a tight-ish 40-60 hours of game in RPGs

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Mirello posted:

I don't get it dude, I really don't. Time is so finite. To dedicate this much time to a game that didn't grab you is madness.

But it did grab me, the first 40 hours were great, genuinely was 100% hooked.
Then the summer lull hit and people said it got better, so I kept going. and then after that I was 70 hours in, the story was better, but many design elements had started to frustrate me, and a sunk cost had kicked in because I thought I could be done with it soon and had already got so far.

Pretty much every complaint I have would have been solved by editing about 30 hours out of it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
it's weird because the summer where you can focus almost entirely on your slice of life stuff (because Futaba is in a month long coma) is my favorite part of the game lol

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's weird because the summer where you can focus almost entirely on your slice of life stuff (because Futaba is in a month long coma) is my favorite part of the game lol

I did enjoy parts of that, but starting with futabas entire section it felt like the overall narrative was going nowhere and it was 20+ hours of it. There was a nice sense of escalation in the phantom thieves story up until that point and the medjed bit was all a bit dumb. I was eager for something to happen and there was a touch too long for my liking before it did.

I know my post was overall very negative, there genuinly was a lot I liked about it. I imagine in 6 months time when I forget all the parts I found frustrating and look back on the memorable parts, I'll think of it a lot more favourably

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 26, 2022

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've definitely heard mixed opinions on that bit, for some people having a pretty quiet summer is great because they love being able to focus on stats/minigames/social links for a bit along with some Mementos grinding, and some people consider it boring as hell.

Royal is probably better once again just for having more stuff to do like getting drunk with Morgana and playing darts.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Been playing around online a bit for Persona arena and good lord do I feel so inadequate. :sigh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Spiffster posted:

Been playing around online a bit for Persona arena and good lord do I feel so inadequate. :sigh:

Great, now the thread is going to have to defeat your shadow.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Great, now the thread is going to have to defeat your shadow.

Hey now I didn’t say the magic words. I fully embrace that I suck :negative:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I actually really liked Futaba's dungeon and the story in general (for all of its flaws, it absolutely nails the media cycle the phantom thieves go through), its just that Shido is a weak villain all things considered and Yaldy isn't built up to enough to really make him work. The third semester stuff is interesting and cool but it still suffers from kind of being tacked on, even though they did their best to integrate its characters and themes throughout the base story.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I actually really liked Futaba's dungeon and the story in general (for all of its flaws, it absolutely nails the media cycle the phantom thieves go through), its just that Shido is a weak villain all things considered and Yaldy isn't built up to enough to really make him work. The third semester stuff is interesting and cool but it still suffers from kind of being tacked on, even though they did their best to integrate its characters and themes throughout the base story.

I think I mentioned it up thread too, but I feel like P4G has a similar problem at the end.

4's first villain is interesting, but the first time I played it with the base game I felt like the whole twist just sort of came out of nowhere. Didn't feel like they'd really earned the big twist I guess. When I played the PC release I foolishly didn't complete the relevant social link (I'd thought I had a month more) so maybe that helps idk. Then in 4 they do the whole true end thing which again just sort of felt pretty whatever

I like the games a lot, but in both games they try to do a big mystery thing, but mysteries that the audience can't solve because the clues aren't given are profoundly unsatisfying. Also the last second pivot to true villains never feels like they set it up enough, but that might just be me?

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
I had basically the same issue with Persona 4's story - it sort of presents itself as a Whodunit murder mystery when it isn't. Mystery stories (and I'm generalizing here) are written with the idea that the reader can determine who the culprit is by paying attention to the clues left by the author, and... no, they don't. It could just be written too subtly to for me to tell, and he's definitely flexing at the main character in dialog if you replay the game with him in mind, but it's all very circumstantial stuff, and also doesn't give a motive.

That's a lot of words for me to say 'P4 is not written as a mystery game in mind'. Which I imagine is frustrating the first time you're going into it blind.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Maybe this hits differently these days, but I thought back in 2008 in vanilla P4 Adachi worked pretty well. Definitely had a 'y'know, looking back on it, that does make a lot of sense' reaction when the game actually made me figure it out. Izanami I'll agree with though, that one is not very interesting or relevant.

P5 Shido doesn't interact enough with the party to make a good villain, and Yaldabaoth only barely works with meta knowledge. P5's endgame is a mess in general. Royal doesn't do much to fix that either, but at least the new content after it is interesting.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

P5's endgame is a mess in general. Royal doesn't do much to fix that either, but at least the new content after it is interesting.

Yeah, thinking back from what I wrote a little bit ago it's not that P5 failed as a mystery or something.

It definitely just looks like they were in kind of a rush to jam it out right at the end because it's just sort of a messy resolution to a game that otherwise thrives on being insanely polished.

At some point I still want to play P5R. My PS4 is all packed away though so I'm still holding out for a surprise announcement in the last few months of their anniversary thing for a PC port.

I wonder when P6 will happen come to think of it, you'd think the announcement would be coming sometime soon considering Persona 5 is like 5 years old at this point

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

In P5, though, Shido isn't the target of the mystery. Between him being involved in Joker's backstory and his just being an irredeemable jackass every time he's on screen it was pretty obvious to me he was going to have a Palace, and it was probably going to be the final one we went through in the game. The real whodunit in P5 is the traitor mentioned in the opening section of the game, and the real reveal around that is that it's a fakeout that's all part of the plan so that the cops and Akechi think Joker's dead.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P6 is being handled by the P5R team as Hashino's team has been working on that Re:Fantasy project for who knows how long, IIRC.

P5 generally kinda whiffs its themes and messaging, or at least the vanilla version did which is what I played, so I'm oddly hopeful that a new team can possibly try something new.
I would not mind dropping the calendar system so the pacing of the plot isn't 100% predictable by the player from the start, etc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The calendar system is Persona. Whenever people suggest getting rid of it I wonder what they think the game would be without it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't actually want Atlus to get rid of the calendar system but I think they could make something workable if they wanted to. Just use the "Free Time" system from Tokyo Xanadu (which AFAIK comes from the Cold Steel games?). You have a certain number of time slots to spend in between dungeons, and you can use them on Social Links and similar stuff. Social stat increases are all handled through sidequests and dialog options.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Would be cool to not have to go to high school. Maybe have more variety in the ages of your party members although that's largely because yoshida obviously should have been part of the phantom thieves. No-good Tora ripping off his mask to help reform society was clearly the option they were too cowardly to put in

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Personally I would like to see the calendar kept while the 3/4/5 formula is rethought in some other ways. It feels stale at this point and I don't think I could muster up much excitement for 6 without some kind of innovation. At the very, very least I would like to see doing dungeons over multiple days instead of in one obnoxious pacing destroying binge session made into not a trap option

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Arist posted:

The calendar system is Persona. Whenever people suggest getting rid of it I wonder what they think the game would be without it.

The... other games in the series? Other games that exist that they have made?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If I want to play the other games, I play the other games. If I want to be stuck on a calendar, I play Persona.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Neeksy posted:

The... other games in the series? Other games that exist that they have made?

The games that came out twenty years ago and are nothing like the series today?

You're advocating for gutting the core of the experience as it currently exists and aren't proposing anything to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Arist posted:

The games that came out twenty years ago and are nothing like the series today?

You're advocating for gutting the core of the experience as it currently exists and aren't proposing anything to replace it.

So exactly what they did in the transition from 2>3