Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
It's a shame Adam Baldwin is a piece of poo poo, because Dutch is a great character.

e: update

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

03 - Uplift Reserve

Scattered marines take a scenic tour through an unlikely battlefield.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fun fact: the closing cutscene has full alternate versions if you're driving a ghost or chopper at the end.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Cythereal posted:

Fun fact: the closing cutscene has full alternate versions if you're driving a ghost or chopper at the end.

Which is unfortunately not reflected post-mission. Or pre-mission, obviously. That would be impressive.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So, I take it that any debris from the space elevator once it collapses counts as a lethal projectile, right? Or does Dutch get a small reprieve in that he managed to drive down the single roadway that major debris didn't hit?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I wonder how often the ODSTs hear that "nice of you to drop in" joke (or some variation of it), and how quick it takes them to get sick of it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

TwoPair posted:

I wonder how often the ODSTs hear that "nice of you to drop in" joke (or some variation of it), and how quick it takes them to get sick of it.
First drop, first hour tops.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I was a hospital corpsman. It's not so much that the drugs make people go crazy, so much that the military makes you crazy and the shock and stress of injury makes your brain do weird hyperfocusing sometimes. Then the drugs make you able to say things other than "AAAAAAUUUURRGH IT HURTS" and you get patients babbling some pretty strange stuff.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

best level in halo mcc if you want to do the "complete levels really fast" weekly challenges. you don't have to kill anything or push any buttons, so it's pretty easy to just grab the ghost that's sitting before the first tunnel and boost through the whole level

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Loxbourne posted:

I wonder if this is why Bungie ultimately stopped doing ARGs. They fell out of fashion anyway but I guess you could reach the Halo target audience a lot easier with adverts on the sides of buses.

Destiny has them every so often, Bungie often have periods where their twitter account is taken over by one of the game's characters.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Really liking the concept of playing half a dozen different characters in the one game, each with a slightly different style.

An inventive way to change things up.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess the drone is supposed to have watched that whole fight because otherwise its just a random piece of debris that somehow tells the story of that level.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ablative posted:

It's a shame Adam Baldwin is a piece of poo poo, because Dutch is a great character.

Adam Baldwin was good in his role in Firefly (and yeah as Dutch), but I actually don't know anything about him other than that. Which is kinda funny since I consider myself a "fan" of the other two guys. Especially Alan Tudyk's apparent new niche as Disney's go-to animal sounds guy.

biosterous posted:

best level in halo mcc if you want to do the "complete levels really fast" weekly challenges. you don't have to kill anything or push any buttons, so it's pretty easy to just grab the ghost that's sitting before the first tunnel and boost through the whole level

I've been noticing that a lot of ODST's missions don't really have "objectives". Most of them are really just about getting to the end, and often don't even have locked doors as checkpoints.

Kibayasu posted:

I guess the drone is supposed to have watched that whole fight because otherwise its just a random piece of debris that somehow tells the story of that level.

The Drone Optics is definitely the least direct(?) clue. I don't think the Rookie is supposed to actually be getting the story of the levels as much as the clue are just breadcrumbs saying that his team was there. That being said, I think every clue after this one is much more interesting and says a lot more about the goings on than what we've seen so far.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah, the Uplift Preserve is basically a setup for a vehicle-heavy level, building up to the spectacle of the space elevator collapsing. It doesn't have any significant story beats. It's just "here's a Warthog and some friendly dudes, go nuts".

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kibayasu posted:

It probably would have fit better if it was a Warthog wreck that the Rookie stumbles upon, but I think part of the reason the drone optics is used instead ties into what Cythreal said: you can be driving various vehicles for the level all the way to the end and the game acknowledges it in some way via cutscenes. So, in that scenario, you'd have to have a clue that reacts to Dutch's vehicle choice at the end of the level and you'd have to create game files to respond to each choice (Warthog, Ghost, Chopper, I'm assuming Wraith as well) to load in. Thus, the drone gets used because that's something that isn't tied to Dutch's actions and saves resources/time creating game assets.

Plus, it creates a bridge between Buck's comment at the end of his level (Buck musing about using the drone network to find the rest of the squad) and the start of Dutch's level (Dutch seeing the drones flying overhead watching the battle unfold).

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm assuming Wraith as well

no, actually! wraiths aren't driveable in ODST without glitches, just like the anti-air wraiths in 3. if you hijack and punch the driver to death it'll just explode for no (in-universe) reason.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

biosterous posted:

no, actually! wraiths aren't driveable in ODST without glitches, just like the anti-air wraiths in 3. if you hijack and punch the driver to death it'll just explode for no (in-universe) reason.

And if you do use a glitch, it won't show up in the cutscene, it'll just pick one of the other three randomly.

If you jump without a vehicle, it'll be a warthog.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

04 - Kizingo Boulevard

A high-explosive, heavily-armoured rampage through the heart of the city.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

The War Thunder thing is actually even better; it was the same guy both times. Who happens to have been an actual tanker, which is how he got access to the spec sheets he posted in the first place.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

and now the followup: this is the best mission for the "get X points" challenges. easy to hit 20k points on normal with a few skulls, or heroic with no skulls at all. also fast and fun!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
No Step signs/warnings are typically found on aircraft. Sometimes its just red outlines. Point is you shouldn't step on elevators, ailerons, or flaps.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Also, those barriers are probably a development of the Hesco barriers in use today:

Or they might just be concrete slabs instead of overgrown sandbags, it's hard to tell.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

So, how about that new Halo tv series, eh?

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

i can say for certain: the trailer exists and i have watched the trailer

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Also, new Garfield isn't good or weird, you're thinking of Heathcliffe.

Trap sprung, etc. etc.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Jobbo_Fett posted:

No Step signs/warnings are typically found on aircraft. Sometimes its just red outlines. Point is you shouldn't step on elevators, ailerons, or flaps.

Yeah, they're on ground vehicles too, but if you step on a tank's air intake grille and damage it, it's not a huge deal. If you step on a plane's flaps and damage them, that is now a plane that you should not fly.

Ablative posted:

Also, those barriers are probably a development of the Hesco barriers in use today:

Or they might just be concrete slabs instead of overgrown sandbags, it's hard to tell.

Ah yeah, that makes sense. I've seen those before but it didn't come to mind since the ones in the game are 15 foot tall metal monstrosities.

Carbon dioxide posted:

So, how about that new Halo tv series, eh?

I haven't watched it yet but I plan to. I've heard some, uh, "iffy" reviews.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
I only recently found this LP and decided to watch the earlier videos, and there is something you missed in the Assault on the Control Room level for Halo 1 which, in the original PC version had an amusing as hell consequence, but that was fixed for the PC MCC.

See, after you get the Tank and you reach the wide open snow area, there is a platform far above (That is important in a later level), and it is where the Banshee that Frenzy shot with the Tank just before entering the tunnel is located before an Elite gets into it (See 12:20 for that Banshee on that video).

It is very hard, but using a sniper rifle to aim, and a rocket launcher, you can actually shoot that Banshee off the platform and steal it. If you take it through the tunnel, across the chasm, and out the other side you can fly up onto the double skybridge and skip a large part of the level.

Now, in the original PC release the level was so large that it seems like enemies were spawned sequentially in waves as you progressed through the level. If you did this, and flew up onto the second bridge, you could break enemy spawning for the rest of the map, resulting in a very relaxing casual stroll through the rest of the level. I've done it once in the PC MCC because, honestly, I love stealing that Banshee and flying around like an idiot but that part didn't seem to happen then.

Also, you didn't need to steal the Banshee to skip the last two round rooms. You can drop off the rock bridge onto the raised spine thing bisecting the control room ramp and then run down that to ground level. It's not as cool as stealing the Banshee though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Making the ODST play mostly the same is completely understandable, especially in something that was originally DLC, but it is fun to think about is how a theoretical game would play if you everything wasn't the same as the chief. Besides the whole brainwashed child solder thing the main "advantage" seems like the suit and shields - humans use the same weapons so its not really a difference in firepower - so you'd probably base the main differences around that. That kind of removes being able to base the game around a single soldier killing dozens of aliens though so maybe it turns into a more "tactical" shooter like Full Spectrum Warrior, Brothers in Arms, or the XCOM Bureau game where its kind of more of a puzzle of how to do something without losing too much - distracting, flanking, and use the few big guns you do have smartly.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

I haven't watched it yet but I plan to. I've heard some, uh, "iffy" reviews.

It's got some 'first episode CGI' issues, and there are a few incredibly cheesy moments, such as a few brief shots from first person view and the obligatory shield depleted/recharging noise during a firefight, but that's about it.

Also we see Master Chief's face.

As of the end of the first episode, it looks like it's doing its own thing. Yes, there's still the Covenant and rebelling human worlds, and the Spartan program and all that, but it's not just a remake of the first game.

And that's what seems to be driving certain segments of the online world insane.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

As of the end of the first episode, it looks like it's doing its own thing. Yes, there's still the Covenant and rebelling human worlds, and the Spartan program and all that, but it's not just a remake of the first game.

And that's what seems to be driving certain segments of the online world insane.

Thank God that they're doing their own thing and not slavishly adapting the source.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's got some 'first episode CGI' issues, and there are a few incredibly cheesy moments, such as a few brief shots from first person view and the obligatory shield depleted/recharging noise during a firefight, but that's about it.

I did chuckle at the natural cave formation reference.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Megillah Gorilla posted:

don't you mean the helmet under his helmet?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
The other thing pissing of The Gamers is that there's a :female:

She's the audience insert character. But the purity of my Spartan husbando :cry: and all that

edit: honestly surprised there isn't a smilie for that.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Megillah Gorilla posted:

edit: honestly surprised there isn't a smilie for that.
:females:
You missed the S.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
I typed it into the smilie search bar and didn't see it. Turns out it was literally just off the bottom of the screen.

Once again a man has been brought low by the :females:

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So far I've heard all of one other person's opinion, and he spewed a bunch of poo poo that I don't know whether to believe or not. Stuff that's either making assumptions, exaggerating wildly, or something, or maybe he's right and it's not a great show.

Let's just say I'm hoping he was just making stuff up, because if he was telling the truth, it spells BAD things for people who are hoping for it to stick to lore, even if they don't stick to the details of the games.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BlazetheInferno posted:

So far I've heard all of one other person's opinion, and he spewed a bunch of poo poo that I don't know whether to believe or not. Stuff that's either making assumptions, exaggerating wildly, or something, or maybe he's right and it's not a great show.

Let's just say I'm hoping he was just making stuff up, because if he was telling the truth, it spells BAD things for people who are hoping for it to stick to lore, even if they don't stick to the details of the games.

Oh no.

Oh no.

Don't tell me they directly state his suit doesn't jerk him off!?!?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Pickled Tink posted:

I only recently found this LP and decided to watch the earlier videos, and there is something you missed in the Assault on the Control Room level for Halo 1 which, in the original PC version had an amusing as hell consequence, but that was fixed for the PC MCC.

See, after you get the Tank and you reach the wide open snow area, there is a platform far above (That is important in a later level), and it is where the Banshee that Frenzy shot with the Tank just before entering the tunnel is located before an Elite gets into it (See 12:20 for that Banshee on that video).

It is very hard, but using a sniper rifle to aim, and a rocket launcher, you can actually shoot that Banshee off the platform and steal it. If you take it through the tunnel, across the chasm, and out the other side you can fly up onto the double skybridge and skip a large part of the level.

Now, in the original PC release the level was so large that it seems like enemies were spawned sequentially in waves as you progressed through the level. If you did this, and flew up onto the second bridge, you could break enemy spawning for the rest of the map, resulting in a very relaxing casual stroll through the rest of the level. I've done it once in the PC MCC because, honestly, I love stealing that Banshee and flying around like an idiot but that part didn't seem to happen then.

Also, you didn't need to steal the Banshee to skip the last two round rooms. You can drop off the rock bridge onto the raised spine thing bisecting the control room ramp and then run down that to ground level. It's not as cool as stealing the Banshee though.

Yeah, AOTCR has a ton of potential sequence breaks. Some of them work as shortcuts and some of them just totally break the level.

Kibayasu posted:

Making the ODST play mostly the same is completely understandable, especially in something that was originally DLC, but it is fun to think about is how a theoretical game would play if you everything wasn't the same as the chief. Besides the whole brainwashed child solder thing the main "advantage" seems like the suit and shields - humans use the same weapons so its not really a difference in firepower - so you'd probably base the main differences around that. That kind of removes being able to base the game around a single soldier killing dozens of aliens though so maybe it turns into a more "tactical" shooter like Full Spectrum Warrior, Brothers in Arms, or the XCOM Bureau game where its kind of more of a puzzle of how to do something without losing too much - distracting, flanking, and use the few big guns you do have smartly.

Ah poo poo, a Halo XCOM game would be cool. Wait, is that what the Spartan Strike games are? I've never actually played them.

People posted:

stuff about Paramount's Halo

I know that the Halo show is a whole alternate timeline thing, and I am trying to keep an open mind going into it. But one of the things I've heard is that all of the characters have very different backgrounds and motivations than their "Gold"(?) timeline counterparts, and that'll rub me the wrong way if they seem like totally different people with the same name.

But I see the issue with trying to make an original Halo show. If you want to have Master Chief as the main character, but not rehash any of the games or main novels (Fall of Reach/First Strike), then you're stuck with some prequel type stuff. And while a show about Blue Team going on adventures in the 2040s would be awesome, it'd mean you couldn't include Cortana or any Forerunner stuff, which are major components of the Halo formula. I'm planning on watching the first two episodes when the second comes out, so we will see.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

FrenzyTheKillbot posted:

Ah poo poo, a Halo XCOM game would be cool. Wait, is that what the Spartan Strike games are? I've never actually played them.

I'm pretty sure they're twin-stick shooters.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

XX - Norvinsk Region (April Fools)

The Rookie takes a detour through a mostly abandoned military base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

If I didn't know better I'd say you picked Friday for updates because this would happen.