Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SiKboy posted:

So basically it's prospects have nothing to do with it being an origin movie of a middling-obscure character, which is what the original poster was saying? Hellboy 2004 is obviously the one I'm comparing it to because it was the origin movie of an obscure character (and it did well enough to get a bigger budget sequel), I'll give you Deadpool isnt necessarily a fair comparison because Ryan Reynolds has charisma for days, but he (was, not any more) a pretty obscure character.

Personally I couldnt pick Jared Leto out of a line up, but I reckon the Morbius movie will probably do fine, although underperform Sonys expectations (because I reckon they have extremely unrealistic "second lynchpin of our spiderverse" type expecations of it.

Vanishingly low expectations IIRC, it came out in 1998 when there had been essentially no good comic book adaptations that werent a batman or superman (and some bad adaptations of both of those), or at least no good marvel/dc ones (I'm sure there are some that most people at the time didnt realise were based off a comic, like your men in black and whatnot). Snipes was a solid name (and great for the part!) but not exactly a box office guarantee.

The thing I was responding to and taking issue with was comparing it to Guardians because they're both about obscure comic characters. Being about an obscure comic character isn't going to kill a movie just like being an original property isn't by itself going to kill a movie, but being about an established brand can usually boost the box office receipts for a movie and I don't think Morbius has enough to get that boost. Its less "being an adaptation of a character that nobody knows our cares about will sink it" than "being an adaptation of a character that nobody knows our cares about will not help it in any way." Guardians didn't get a boost from the characters being familiar, it got that boost from being an MCU movie.

Morbius might do venom 2 money if the studio is really lucky, but I think the best things it has going for it are the fact that Batman will have been out for a month, Lost City will have been out for a week, they've got another week until Sonic 2, and a whole month until Doctor Strange 2. That's probably enough of a window to get some people who just want to see a movie to buy a couple tickets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Baron von Eevl posted:

The thing I was responding to and taking issue with was comparing it to Guardians because they're both about obscure comic characters. Being about an obscure comic character isn't going to kill a movie just like being an original property isn't by itself going to kill a movie, but being about an established brand can usually boost the box office receipts for a movie and I don't think Morbius has enough to get that boost. Its less "being an adaptation of a character that nobody knows our cares about will sink it" than "being an adaptation of a character that nobody knows our cares about will not help it in any way." Guardians didn't get a boost from the characters being familiar, it got that boost from being an MCU movie.

Morbius might do venom 2 money if the studio is really lucky, but I think the best things it has going for it are the fact that Batman will have been out for a month, Lost City will have been out for a week, they've got another week until Sonic 2, and a whole month until Doctor Strange 2. That's probably enough of a window to get some people who just want to see a movie to buy a couple tickets.

In fairness I'm a massive fan of the OG guardians of the galaxy comics as well as the run the movie is based on, and before it was released I was completely and absolutely sure than yep, THIS will be the one that will tank and burst the marvel movies bubble. On paper its a ridiculously hard sell; Its a space opera (not a popular genre) with no immediate links to the rest of the MCU, based on characters who are pretty drat niche even amongst comic fans starring a dude from a sitcom and a pro wrestler and its directed by the guy who made Slither (a movie I enjoyed but did not set the world on fire). It also has two entirely CGI characters in the main cast and the emotional climax of the movie is entrusted to the one of those who can only say 4 words, one of which is his name. There was absolutely no guarantee that being an MCU movie would outweigh all that. Of course, it turns out that Guardians was real loving good and I think I can safely say it did not burst the marvel bubble. Comparing Morbius to Guardians isnt wildly off base, although its far from a 1:1 comparison. Again, bear in mind that the comparison was a direct response to this;

A Festivus Miracle posted:

My problems with Morbius:

1. Nobody loving knows who the gently caress that is unless you've read a lot of Spiderman comics. Most people....don't read comics. On top of that, there's very little traditional animated representation of this character (this is how normie millenials got into this poo poo btw, the Justice League cartoons and whatnot). So, it's kind of like someone made a superhero movie (and an even worse fate, an origin story superhero movie) about a character most people don't know about and then they:

I snipped out the bit about Leto because its not relevant and also because again, if he wasnt done up like his terrible version of the joker I wouldnt recognise the man.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Sony is going to milk the Spider-Man pool of characters dry while they have the license, which is fine by me because they employee me. And I grew up on the Spider-Man cartoon. So go see Kraven when it comes out. It's going to be great!

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think Blade did well because it was a comic book movie, I think it did well because it was a fun-looking action movie starring Wesley Snipes. Deadpool has more cultural relevance than Morbius and Ryan Reynolds remains well-liked by audiences despite all the Green Lanterns in the world. Hellboy 2004 was a modest success but wasn't huge, and Hellboy 2019 was a bomb.

I'm not saying that Morbius is going to bomb, it'll probably do okay, but I think it's off the mark to compare it to Guardians just because they're both about relatively obscure comic book characters.

I also think all the other comic book movies being tied into big universes is going to harm the weirder ones like Morbius. I can see people thinking "oh its more MCU crap" and not bothering, even if it's completely untied to the rest of them.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, I think audiences are a little more wary of the MCU as a brand today, but in 2014 it would have given anything enough of a boost to get a foot in the door. Half or more of the movies they'd put out at that point were lousy and they all did well. Today you've got a lot of reluctance due partly to covid and partly to things like Eternals not being good, along with I think general interest waning after Avengers 4. The story's done, who cares?

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

BiggerBoat posted:

It also helped that it was really loving good.
Yeah this was my point and Blade is probably a better comparison that GotG.

EDIT: not saying that Morbius will be good, just that it has the potential even if it's about an obscure character without a super high end casting.

Hell, Peacemaker was super fun and it stars John Cena (who's surprisingly decent as a comedian) :v:

That Italian Guy has a new favorite as of 21:28 on Mar 28, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

SiKboy posted:

Vanishingly low expectations IIRC, it came out in 1998 when there had been essentially no good comic book adaptations that werent a batman or superman (and some bad adaptations of both of those), or at least no good marvel/dc ones (I'm sure there are some that most people at the time didnt realise were based off a comic, like your men in black and whatnot). Snipes was a solid name (and great for the part!) but not exactly a box office guarantee.

Thanks, that's how I remembered it too.

There wasn't a ton of hype or buzz for Blade that I remember and Snipes had what, Jungle Fever and White Men Can't Jump I guess going for him at that point? He was good in those films but was hardly some kind of established action star (or even a big star in general like you said) but the movie managed to land, strike the right tone and I do remember distinctly how it benefited from strong word of mouth. Without looking it up, I'd bet it opened surprisingly OK without a ton of competition and then stayed consistently strong at the box office coupled with good DVD sales down the road.

I enjoyed the 2nd sequel as well.

Man, I haven't seen those movies in a good minute. Might have to see if they're streaming anywhere.

E

Also, when GotG came out it was right when anything with "MARVEL" on it was automatically raking in bank and solidified the idea that they could release just about anything. See: Ant Man. Marvel was just like "well, that last one made a ton of money. What else we got?"

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 21:33 on Mar 28, 2022

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks, that's how I remembered it too.

There wasn't a ton of hype or buzz for Blade that I remember and Snipes had what, Jungle Fever and White Men Can't Jump I guess going for him at that point? He was good in those films but was hardly some kind of established action star (or even a big star in general like you said) but the movie managed to land, strike the right tone and I do remember distinctly how it benefited from strong word of mouth. Without looking it up, I'd bet it opened surprisingly OK without a ton of competition and then stayed consistently strong at the box office coupled with good DVD sales down the road.

I enjoyed the 2nd sequel as well.

Man, I haven't seen those movies in a good minute. Might have to see if they're streaming anywhere.

E

Also, when GotG came out it was right when anything with "MARVEL" on it was automatically raking in bank and solidified the idea that they could release just about anything. See: Ant Man. Marvel was just like "well, that last one made a ton of money. What else we got?"

Blade was basically the tail end of Snipes big action star career.
Passenger 57, Rising Sun, Demolition Man, US Marshals, etc.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BiggerBoat posted:

Snipes had what, Jungle Fever and White Men Can't Jump I guess going for him at that point? He was good in those films but was hardly some kind of established action star

Also Major League, New Jack City, Passenger 57, Boiling Point, Demolition Man, Drop Zone, and Money Train with the last several of those being action movies.

Wesley was just cooling off when Blade came out after several disappointing flops, but it was kind of his last hurrah until recently.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Good points, last two posters. I'd forgotten about a few of those and gotten my Snipes timeline mixed up so I stand corrected. Particularly forgetting about New Jack City.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I still think no other superhero movie has entertained me half as much as Blade did and still does. It's a loving amazing movie with incredible one-liners.

It never fails to make me loving laugh out loud, the scene in the hospital where cops are shooting at Blade and he turns to them and says something like, "Are you out of your motherfucking minds?" It feels so adlibbed but it's not really any weirder than some of the other stuff Blade says.

Motherfuckers always trying to skate up hill

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Biplane posted:

I would for sure try to ingratiate myself with Jared Leto he seems like he's the kind of guy who always has the best drugs.

Tbh he seems like he'd probably use any drugs to brainwash you.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
But why would a bullet be leaving the hospital?

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Torquemada posted:

A famous person who’s a sex pest, whatever next.

wow you're so cool

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Elissimpark posted:

Christ, just watch him getting smashed up by Edward Norton in Fight Club on repeat like the rest of us.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I never get why internet people hate Jared Leto so much. It's always related to his performance as the Joker, but he's been in so many other things.
Nah, I just hate him. It doesn't help that he's a chicken hawk and Dallas Buyer's Club didn't win any points with me

Also

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone forgets that the MCU was basically forged out of Marvel's C and D listers because they'd sold off the film rights to everyone famous back in the 90s when they were desperate for cash. No X-Men, no Spider-man, no Fantastic Four, no Hulk. Iron Man in particular was a prominent character in the comics but in the mainstream he was in a cartoon years ago barely anyone remembers, Captain America had briefly appeared in the X-Men shows (funnily enough they had an Avengers cartoon in the 90s which consisted entirely of the team's D-listers, with Cap and Thor only making cameos) and Thor was better known for being the, y'know, god from Norse myth. The vast majority of the audience had never heard of these characters and ended up going nuts for them because they made fun movies about them presented confidently.

Guardians of the Galaxy was basically just the same process with some even more obscure characters, a star-studded cast and confident presentation mixed with a bunch of crowd-pleasers like the jukebox soundtrack and a big fun space setting filling a Star Wars shaped niche.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
I'm wondering about how little credit Steel gets for being a black led superhero movie at least a year or two before Blade. I haven't seen the Steel movie in AGES and I don't remember it being great, however people saying Blade was the first black superhero in films are a bit off base. poo poo I remember seeing Meteor Man in theaters and loving the cast, and as I'm typing this I realize I saw Spawn in theater and I know for sure I saw that before I saw Blade and did not hate it. Blade was easily the best of that lot but there were attempted black superhero movies that just had worse writing and actors that showed you could at least do something with a comic book character.
I'm just realizing I've seen every movie starring Shaq in theaters just because my neighborhood movie theater had a deal in the middle of the days to watch 3 unsalable movies for 9 bucks and that was when they put on Shaq movies or Airbuds.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Tbh he seems like he'd probably use any drugs to brainwash you.

Can't possibly make my life any worse, so I would go for it.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Morbius is gonna be just as big as the last vampire movie Dracula untold

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Steel would have probably fared better if used the superman imagery the character usually has, but the licensing on that probably wouldn't have been possible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's real funny how comic book movies that act obviously embarrassed of their source material end up replacing those supposedly silly ideas and concepts with ones that are much more embarrassing. See also video game movies.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Oh, they had Hulk. The Ed Norton Hulk movie was supposed to be the beginning of the shared universe, with RDJ coming in after the credits to connect the movies together

Unfortunately for him, Norton decided to try and throw his A-lister weight around and get directorial control over the first avengers movie, so they kicked him out on his rear end

He probably should have seen that coming after they did the exact same thing to Terrance Howard in Iron Man 2.

I'll never understand actors. A-listers have one of the cushiest jobs in the world. You show up after the hard work is already finished, say what they tell you to say, and go smoke weed in your luxury rv for the rest of the day, and in return you become a billionaire worldwide sex symbol

You don't even need to sit in a makeup chair for hours like they used to do now that it's all CGI (because costume and makeup are union jobs so the studios are trying to eliminate them entirely)

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

flavor.flv posted:

Oh, they had Hulk. The Ed Norton Hulk movie was supposed to be the beginning of the shared universe, with RDJ coming in after the credits to connect the movies together

Unfortunately for him, Norton decided to try and throw his A-lister weight around and get directorial control over the first avengers movie, so they kicked him out on his rear end

He probably should have seen that coming after they did the exact same thing to Terrance Howard in Iron Man 2.

I'll never understand actors. A-listers have one of the cushiest jobs in the world. You show up after the hard work is already finished, say what they tell you to say, and go smoke weed in your luxury rv for the rest of the day, and in return you become a billionaire worldwide sex symbol

You don't even need to sit in a makeup chair for hours like they used to do now that it's all CGI (because costume and makeup are union jobs so the studios are trying to eliminate them entirely)

It wasn't just Norton throwing his weight around, Universal owns the rights to Hulk-exclusive movies. Not sure what deal they had made to make the Norton one happen but it obviously fell through after, that's why so much happens with Banner/Hulk off-screen or in movies where he's the weirdo side-kick.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

datajugend posted:

Morbius is gonna be just as big as the last vampire movie Dracula untold

That movie had a part where the bad guy throws Dracula's wife off a tower and he flies off after her to catch her just in time for them to land on the ground and see that same bad guy riding off. He somehow got to the bottom of the tower quicker than Dracula could fly there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Grendels Dad posted:

It wasn't just Norton throwing his weight around, Universal owns the rights to Hulk-exclusive movies. Not sure what deal they had made to make the Norton one happen but it obviously fell through after, that's why so much happens with Banner/Hulk off-screen or in movies where he's the weirdo side-kick.

That apparently changed, I guess Marvel got Hulk and Namor (:rolleyes:) full-time. I assume they don't want to do a solo Hulk movie because they realize at this point he works better as a side kick.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

flavor.flv posted:

Funny enough CGI & animation groups are starting to unionize. I know my friends in animation that are in unions, which means they can't be pushed around as easily with insane demands without due compensation (mainly things like last-minute changes or having poo poo delayed from higher up the stream).

Baron von Eevl posted:

That apparently changed, I guess Marvel got Hulk and Namor (:rolleyes:) full-time. I assume they don't want to do a solo Hulk movie because they realize at this point he works better as a side kick.

I'm going to :lol: so hard if Namor is the bridge that brings the X-Men into the MCU as he's technically an Atlantean mutant.

:v: fact: Namor first showed up in the unpublished Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly. I remember this because you can sing that title to the Meow Mix theme.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Always thought they wasted Benedict Cumberbatch on Dr. Strange, he was born to play Namor. His voice and face are the perfect combination of arrogance, regal bearing and mutant fishman

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

flavor.flv posted:

Always thought they wasted Benedict Cumberbatch on Dr. Strange, he was born to play Namor. His voice and face are the perfect combination of arrogance, regal bearing and mutant fishman

:drat: you are spot on.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Probably won't get him running around in the budgie smugglers, though.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

flavor.flv posted:

His voice and face are the perfect combination of arrogance, regal bearing and mutant fishman

He went to public school, yes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There were two captain america movies made in 1979 starring Reb Brown (Roll Thizzlebeef) as captain america, with the second one also starring Christopher Lee as the nefarious "Miguel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcRrdJ0GKP0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CcCu-QWT-c

OwlFancier has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Mar 29, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Funny enough CGI & animation groups are starting to unionize. I know my friends in animation that are in unions, which means they can't be pushed around as easily with insane demands without due compensation (mainly things like last-minute changes or having poo poo delayed from higher up the stream).

I'm going to :lol: so hard if Namor is the bridge that brings the X-Men into the MCU as he's technically an Atlantean mutant.

:v: fact: Namor first showed up in the unpublished Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly. I remember this because you can sing that title to the Meow Mix theme.

My wish is they can finally do a proper FF movie set in the 60's and use Namor in that. All these movies don't need to cross over and not all of them need big stars either.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Push El Burrito posted:

That movie had a part where the bad guy throws Dracula's wife off a tower and he flies off after her to catch her just in time for them to land on the ground and see that same bad guy riding off. He somehow got to the bottom of the tower quicker than Dracula could fly there.

I had such high/low hopes for that movie--that it would be the fun kind of stupid, like in the trailer where he makes a giant fist out of a swarm of bats--but instead it turned out to be the stupid kind of stupid. While I was hardly expecting a grounded, detailed, historically accurate biopic, its treatment of Vlad the Impaler's life had big "We just read the Wikipedia entry" energy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Rick and Morty of all things had probably the most faithful depiction of Namor as yet televised

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

Norton is a bit of a special case, as if his life was an experiment designed to produce an arrogant prima donna actor. He goes from a nobody theater guy to being discovered by an agent at 25 years old and then his first role right out of the gate is Primal Fear, for which he gets an Oscar nomination.

So you can imagine he's already built a good foundation for a pretty strong ego, and then about two years later the American History X situation happens. This is a movie where the director and Edward Norton basically fought it out over creative control and how the movie would be edited down to it's final cut. The studio literally allowed Norton to do his own cut, then sided with him and told the director to gently caress off. And the movie is a big hit, Norton wins is again nominated for an Oscar. So he walks away from the American History X experience with the perception that he is the one who knows how to make good movies and nobody should doubt his instincts or try to tell him what to do.

After that he's always had the reputation of a guy who is very particular about how he works and about getting his way, and it's easy to see how he got like that because he was treated as the second coming of Marlon Brando for the first 5 years of his career.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 18:02 on Mar 29, 2022

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I had to look it up but Edward Norton has not won an Academy Award yet. He's been nominated for Primal Fear (supporting actor), American History X (best actor), and Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (supporting actor).

He was fun in The Bourne Legacy, and he is totally willing to subsume his ego in Wes Anderson films.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Rick and Morty of all things had probably the most faithful depiction of Namor as yet televised

Any movie needs to reproduce this

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Push El Burrito posted:

Any movie needs to reproduce this

Or this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's a whole post I might find about that but Namor is loving hilarious. He's clinically insane, he's literally the oldest Marvel character- predating Marvel itself- and has been killing Nazis with a passion nonstop the entire time. He's on both the heroic and the villainous Illuminati at the same time, and he fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Android Apocalypse posted:

Namor first showed up in the unpublished Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly. I remember this because you can sing that title to the Meow Mix theme.

It's old news by now but any line in trochaic tetrameter can be fit into the Ninja Turtles theme song

E: oh yeah the first comics superhero crossover was between Namor and the first Human Torch (who was an android that could set himself on fire at will), with Namor trying to flatten NYC with a tidal wave for endlessly loving with his oceans, and Torch trying to, uh, make him not do that

Phy has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Mar 29, 2022