Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dont think Ive ever had an spouse (male or female) that wanst allergic to cats.

Seems to be a very common affliction on the middle ages that only affects people married with people with cats (but never the cat owner)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I dont think Ive ever had an spouse (male or female) that wanst allergic to cats.

Seems to be a very common affliction on the middle ages that only affects people married with people with cats (but never the cat owner)

There are some events that are far too common in the various story cycles, and this is one of them unfortunately. It's been a problem since CK2 though so who knows if it'll change, it's the nature of "random" events.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Elias_Maluco posted:

gently caress your allergies, I will eat that -15 opinion mod so I can pet Ser Pounce :mad:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Albino Squirrel posted:

gently caress your allergies, I will eat that -15 opinion mod so I can pet Ser Pounce :mad:

Same. And the cat bonuses are actually powerful too

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
1) Cats are wonderful.
2) Pet bonuses are nice.
3) Pet interactions are fun.
4) Spouses are generally very replaceable.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

There are some events that are far too common in the various story cycles, and this is one of them unfortunately. It's been a problem since CK2 though so who knows if it'll change, it's the nature of "random" events.

I guess is the problem with whole events thing, really

If a character was allergic or not (like: if it was a really trait or something like that), than if he/she was we would have that to happen organically or not when you have a cat

Instead we have an event "is alergic" with x% chance of happening and than if you have a cat long enough, it will eventually hit

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Successfully blobbed my way to Mending the Great Schism and then reforming the Roman Empire. Decided I might as well create my new faith after I just brought Catholicism back together. Did I miss something, or is there no way to change Holy Sites? I was kind of hoping to change things up, like make Constantinople a holy site instead of Cologne or something. I wanted to be my own pope, so that meant lay priests, which was kind of annoying since I needed to give away a bunch of temple holdings. Not really sure it's worth forming my own religion ever again. Guess it was fun to do once.

Game ran out of time, which was good because I really didn't have much left to do except take over the entire world at that point. Had about 10 years left when I finally reformed the empire. Had to break truces against Byzantines twice just to do it in time.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Bird in a Blender posted:

Successfully blobbed my way to Mending the Great Schism and then reforming the Roman Empire. Decided I might as well create my new faith after I just brought Catholicism back together. Did I miss something, or is there no way to change Holy Sites? I was kind of hoping to change things up, like make Constantinople a holy site instead of Cologne or something. I wanted to be my own pope, so that meant lay priests, which was kind of annoying since I needed to give away a bunch of temple holdings. Not really sure it's worth forming my own religion ever again. Guess it was fun to do once.

Game ran out of time, which was good because I really didn't have much left to do except take over the entire world at that point. Had about 10 years left when I finally reformed the empire. Had to break truces against Byzantines twice just to do it in time.

You can't change holy sites without mods, you're stuck with the sites of the religion you reform from.

It's a bit irritating and I hope they eventually do something similar to the hybrid culture system where you can create a syncretic faith and pick the best bits from each, including holy sites.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Ok, that's what I figured. Honestly, I'd really like something that just allowed for religious blending in a county. I kind of hate the all or nothing aspect, especially if I have culture or religious traits that allow for more religious tolerance. Maybe a hybrid religion, like you said, or even just some percentages of how much each religion is in each county. Culture could work the same way. I guess that might make things too complicated though.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
After playing with the new culture reformation thing it really highlights how limited the religion feature is. Religions have all sorts of cool idiosyncrasies IRL but almost none of that is in the game, with barely any flavorful tenets. Or rather, there's a few flavorful things in there but they're generally totally unimpactful, e.g.: Canniablism! that's not a sin anymore, The End. Most of the mechanics are just a big long list of what's illegal and how much you hate others for having a different list.

The new culture stuff otoh, even if like half the traditions look really weak on paper, there's enough space to fit a bunch of flavor stuff in (not to mention the interesting requirements/penalties) and roll something rather unique that has an actual effect on your long-term strategy (beyond abolishing the pope and sleeping with your sister) e.g. my culture now has strong opinions on MAA, holdings, buildings, duchy buildings, what my vassals build, and who's on the council. Nice.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Ok, that's what I figured. Honestly, I'd really like something that just allowed for religious blending in a county. I kind of hate the all or nothing aspect, especially if I have culture or religious traits that allow for more religious tolerance. Maybe a hybrid religion, like you said, or even just some percentages of how much each religion is in each county. Culture could work the same way. I guess that might make things too complicated though.

The closest you can get is adding one of the "[x] syncretism" tenets to your reformed religion, but yeah, it's kinda lacking. You can't create a religious group from scratch either. Honestly it seems more fun to browse the list of existing faiths and find a wacky heresy that only existed for like 5 years in the real world before getting inquisition'd off the face of the earth, and convert to that instead. I don't think the game even requires the faith to properly 'exist' in the map for you to convert to it, so the list is pretty long. But that obviously limits you re: the boosts you might be looking for, particularly since, much like in the real world, offshoots within a major religion often boil down to minutial doctrine bullshit, so, unless you go for the real weird stuff like Adamitism, the differences within Christian or Muslim faiths are pretty minor, both flavor-wise and in terms of their impact on gameplay.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
What dictates when the AI will form a Kingdom? For the past 100~ years or so, an Emir has ruled eastern Spain, I switched over to them and was immediately able to form Aragon and Navarre as well as create a gigantic custom Kingdom.

ThePinkPanzer
Mar 29, 2022
Hey guys, not sure if you recognize the handle but I'm the guy who makes Godherja (and made TNO back in the day) and SomethingAwful came up in a Google search of it. Been meaning to make an SA account for years since I was a Facepuncher but never got around to it until now.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who tried the mod and in case it hasn't been said (my wallet's not quite ready to shill for Platinum no thread search sorry) we somewhat recently sent out a massive update that also massively improved performance to vanilla levels. If you didn't like the first few versions, hopefully this one changes / fixes / improves upon enough that it changes your mind :)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

SexyBlindfold posted:

The closest you can get is adding one of the "[x] syncretism" tenets to your reformed religion, but yeah, it's kinda lacking. You can't create a religious group from scratch either. Honestly it seems more fun to browse the list of existing faiths and find a wacky heresy that only existed for like 5 years in the real world before getting inquisition'd off the face of the earth, and convert to that instead. I don't think the game even requires the faith to properly 'exist' in the map for you to convert to it, so the list is pretty long. But that obviously limits you re: the boosts you might be looking for, particularly since, much like in the real world, offshoots within a major religion often boil down to minutial doctrine bullshit, so, unless you go for the real weird stuff like Adamitism, the differences within Christian or Muslim faiths are pretty minor, both flavor-wise and in terms of their impact on gameplay.

Yea next time I would just switch to an existing religion. Forming a religion is very expensive on the faith side.

I did it this time to essentially make the most liberal religion I could. Equal treatment, homosexuality allowed, witches allowed, concubines allowed, etc. I realized I kind of goofed when I did it because my heir switched from my son, who was my third child, to my daughter. So my prep work to make sure my son was ready was wasted. Oh well.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chatrapati posted:

What dictates when the AI will form a Kingdom? For the past 100~ years or so, an Emir has ruled eastern Spain, I switched over to them and was immediately able to form Aragon and Navarre as well as create a gigantic custom Kingdom.

Some Kingdom titles have special requirements for the AI to form them. The AI will only ever form Aragon or Navarre if they are Christian. Others may only be formed by certain cultures, or have some other weird requirements like the AI never creating East Francia/Germany if the HRE exists.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

Some Kingdom titles have special requirements for the AI to form them. The AI will only ever form Aragon or Navarre if they are Christian. Others may only be formed by certain cultures, or have some other weird requirements like the AI never creating East Francia/Germany if the HRE exists.

I see. That makes some sense. I'm going to force the custom kingdom upon them, they're dealing with so many vassal penalties. It'd be cool if there were alternative kingdom titles in situations like this.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Almost forgot about a funny thing that happened. My 77 year old emperor, who got the 1 year to live notification, and was infirm and melancholic, decided to go out and play a game of football. I guess he wasn’t feeling that bad after all.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How do you deal with the massive caliphate? Assassinating the leader doesn't seem to start any civil wars at all

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Jarvisi posted:

How do you deal with the massive caliphate? Assassinating the leader doesn't seem to start any civil wars at all

Can you swear fealty? You could do all sorts of wonderful things inside the caliphate

If not, then its basically build a large coalition; build up your cash reserves; and attack when they are at war with someone else. Do enough damage to their military and the internal revolts start to kick off - so sometimes its worth it to drag a war out so you can beat up their armies more.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I'm the HRE and I had shitloads of piety and wanted the rest of Italy so I pushed out the pope. He still had Djerba on the north african coast, but he was gone from Italy.
After I did that, I founded my own Christian religion with no head of faith.

Then I went to North Africa (I'm gonna mend the Schism gently caress it) and conquered the kingdom of Africa, then took Djerba. It made the pope my vassal. And now he follows the laws of my religion, even though he's a Catholic - which means he's married now (to his sister??). He even declared a crusade on me, as my vassal.
loving weird as hell. I can't get rid of him either, maybe when I mend the schism he'll gently caress off?

Moreau posted:

Can you swear fealty? You could do all sorts of wonderful things inside the caliphate

If not, then its basically build a large coalition; build up your cash reserves; and attack when they are at war with someone else. Do enough damage to their military and the internal revolts start to kick off - so sometimes its worth it to drag a war out so you can beat up their armies more.

If you keep assassinating until they're a kid their allies/levies will be pretty poo poo too

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
iirc the Papacy is a landless title with its own succession system. It might be literally impossible to remove the pope without a Decision.

edit: vvv Yup, that's what happens.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 29, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking of the pope: after I conquered Latium (using a conquest casus belli irrc), the pope became landless and now he is literally nowhere

He has no titles besides the pope title, he has no liege, he is not on anybody's court, and if I press that "go to" button on him nothing happens

That wanst supposed to happen, inst it?

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
For me the biggest draw of temporal clergy is that you tend to have 5 powerful vassals who want council seats and having that 5th seat available makes things much easier to deal with. Also they can't join anything but certain claimant factions iirc.

I think it's all about what you need. If you are hurting for money, leave it spiritual. If you are hurting for stability, go temporal.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Any reviews on PS5 edition yet? Probably the only way I'll play this is with reasonable controller support.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Olanphonia posted:

For me the biggest draw of temporal clergy is that you tend to have 5 powerful vassals who want council seats and having that 5th seat available makes things much easier to deal with.

On this point, I'll note that theocratic vassals can be assigned as your realm priest (provided you make it so you can appoint this position), and they will usually have high learning due to being clergy. These vassals can count as powerful vassals. It's less flexible but it does work. The main wrinkle really is that it's somewhat annoying to make theocratic vassals, you pretty much need to declare a war that seizes every title directly, like a Holy War rather than a claim war, then after winning keep the game paused long enough to find a baron-tier temple holder and give them a county (then a duchy or even kingdom if desired).

I should note that having a Head of Faith with spiritual doctrine can also have a downside, as your realm priest will pass on a portion of their income to the Head of Faith before giving you your share, and the Head of Faith's income doesn't get passed to you even if they are your vassal, apart from normal taxable income such as that from their vassals and domain. Though you can get at that income if you use your piety to request gold.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 29, 2022

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Any other weirdos like me looking forward to the console release today? I think it would be a pretty cool experience to play chilling on the couch with a controller. If the new controller interface comes to pc that would be top tier too.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Captain Beans posted:

If the new controller interface comes to pc that would be top tier too.

I'd love that, as a man desperately trying to do my gaming in a nice bright living room instead of the goddamn basement.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Serephina posted:

iirc the Papacy is a landless title with its own succession system. It might be literally impossible to remove the pope without a Decision.

edit: vvv Yup, that's what happens.

it just seems insane my own vassal declaring a crusade on me, that's all

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Taear posted:

it just seems insane my own vassal declaring a crusade on me, that's all

That happened to me as well, but there weren't enough Christians left to get the crusade started. I wonder what happens when the Pope's the last sole Christian left on the planet. Will he still attempt to start crusades against me?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

On a different side of that, in my last game, I was pretty much on a one man crusade. Aside from the Catholics winning Jerusalem very early, I had converted North Africa, Arabia, and Persia to Catholicism. It was kind of funny seeing the Pope call for a crusade against Punjab, or Darfur. Just didn't feel right, even if those places were still Muslim. I hadn't seen that before, so I figured Great Holy Wars were only to reclaim holy sites occupied by other religions, but I guess you can do them for anywhere.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Yes, there is a faith-specific list of regions with weights that crusades (or any other GHWs) use, from key religious holdings and 'heartlands' to 'stretch goals', once they run out of options, they just declare GHW on whatever is closest
https://ck3.paradoxwikis.com/Great_holy_war_weights

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

On a different side of that, in my last game, I was pretty much on a one man crusade. Aside from the Catholics winning Jerusalem very early, I had converted North Africa, Arabia, and Persia to Catholicism. It was kind of funny seeing the Pope call for a crusade against Punjab, or Darfur. Just didn't feel right, even if those places were still Muslim. I hadn't seen that before, so I figured Great Holy Wars were only to reclaim holy sites occupied by other religions, but I guess you can do them for anywhere.

You can also change the crusade target for 500 piety. In use it a lot on my catholic games when the pope keeps throwing crusades to far away places or places we cant possibly win

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

THE BAR posted:

That happened to me as well, but there weren't enough Christians left to get the crusade started. I wonder what happens when the Pope's the last sole Christian left on the planet. Will he still attempt to start crusades against me?

He's my vassal forever now. I mended the schism and he's still loving there. I can't unland him, it just straight up won't let me
I guess I'll have to give him independence then attack him to get rid.

After mending the schism there are no catholic rulers left which is nice

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Sometimes there’s a decision to dismantle the papacy. Maybe it’s not firing for you since you’re still a Christian religion? But no pope means no crusades, which is nice. I don’t miss getting crusaded by only the pope who has 1500 troops and no place to raise them so the crusade only ends when “defender controls war target” ticks up to 100% after several years.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

How are u posted:

1) Cats are wonderful.
2) Pet bonuses are nice.
3) Pet interactions are fun.
4) Spouses are generally very replaceable.

Don't I know it. I have a ruler in still in his twenties who is on his fourth wife. First soulmate wife died to the court serial killer chain, second wife didn't last more than a few months, then the killer was caught. Third wife lived for several years before dying in childbirth. So from marrying at age 16 to being in his late twenties this ruler lost 3 wives, none through his own actions.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Sometimes there’s a decision to dismantle the papacy. Maybe it’s not firing for you since you’re still a Christian religion?

Yes, dismantling the papacy is only available as a decision if your religion is one of Baltic, Greco-Roman, Islam, Norse, or Slavic, and — in case you've created your own off-shoot — does not have a Pacifism or Christian Syncretism tenet. So something nearby but definitely barbaric or generally opposed to Christianity. And of course, you also need to have thoroughly kicked the Pope out of all land holdings and occupied just about all the core catholic territories.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of that serial killer chain, is it just hard coded to be your primary heir serial killing for no apparent reason?

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Sometimes there’s a decision to dismantle the papacy. Maybe it’s not firing for you since you’re still a Christian religion? But no pope means no crusades, which is nice. I don’t miss getting crusaded by only the pope who has 1500 troops and no place to raise them so the crusade only ends when “defender controls war target” ticks up to 100% after several years.

I assume Catholics can't call crusades when the Schism is mended? Maybe not. Yea he's only got about 600 troops so he's hosed. Independence/holy war seems my best bet anyway.

One thing I really miss from CK2 is that I can't convert unreformed pagans any more. It's sorta a shame that it's 1380 in my game now and the Scandinavians are STILL astaru for example

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Speaking of that serial killer chain, is it just hard coded to be your primary heir serial killing for no apparent reason?

No, I just got it with one of my concubines being the killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

trip report on the xbox version

- initially no sound or music, had to force quit and restart the game, then it worked
- it says it's linked my paradox account, but it looks like achievements are not carried between them, as xbox has their own achievement system
- no cross play at all, so you can't start on PC and move to xbox, which is a huge bummer and kind of my main use case I had planned
- looks to be multiple versions behind, as playing a quick game as count eudes, I couldn't do "meet peers" interaction (just not there at all)
- autobattle seems kind of neat, but I presume the AI is terrible
- UI didn't seem that bad and is probably fine with some getting used to, but obviously much harder to at a glance everything than on PC with mouse
- very good performance and no real lag at all anywhere; also the game makes my GPU sound like a jet engine on PC and was totally silent on xbox

overall I'll give it some time and revisit, but probably not going to get too far into it