Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
One factor in traffic fatalities has also gotta be that the car industry is going Open Carbon and making ever-bigger trucks and SUVs. I’m seeing more and more vehicles that I’d describe as “disturbingly large.” Being hit by one of those is worse than being hit by a smaller car, though I’m not sure what the overall contribution is there to traffic deaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I've worn pajama pants and a white t-shirt to work every day for the past two years

Isn't that just the uniform for Pittsburgh?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

I've worn pajama pants and a white t-shirt to work every day for the past two years

the best is going into the bathroom a few minutes before a meeting, throwing some gel in your hair and putting on a nice sweater or something.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Louisgod posted:

the best is going into the bathroom a few minutes before a meeting, throwing some gel in your hair and putting on a nice sweater or something.

I remote into my desktop computer at my still-assigned cube in the office because my company was too cheap to buy me a laptop. I don't even have a camera to appear on meetings. I'm just a disembodied voice

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I've always felt that driving really puts a spotlight on who a person is. From people who behave with empathy and kindness, to people with protagonist syndrome, to people who are cruel for sport, it kind of allows those traits to show through in a very clear way because there usually isnt any real benefit or consequences for behavior. Do you act like we are all in this together so lets just get make the best out of our terrible commute or are people obstacles and competitors to be eliminated.

The pandemic has done serious damage to what were already frayed societal bonds. So my contrarian theory is that poor/aggressive driving is at least partially a result of people becoming more individualistic in general.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

how long does it take to ship? I might order a few

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

ex post facho posted:

https://twitter.com/CoreyRobin/stat...ingawful.com%2F

just a reminder that the dems just gee golly shucks couldn't figure out how to continue to fund covid testing and vaccinations

Or uninsured care funding

https://twitter.com/thrasherxy/status/1508809938948210696

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Zugzwang posted:

One factor in traffic fatalities has also gotta be that the car industry is going Open Carbon and making ever-bigger trucks and SUVs. I’m seeing more and more vehicles that I’d describe as “disturbingly large.” Being hit by one of those is worse than being hit by a smaller car, though I’m not sure what the overall contribution is there to traffic deaths.

They also have absurdly bad visibility, which (on top of being just objectively bad in and of itself) will exacerbate issues with drivers who aren't paying attention for whatever reason. It's really bad to be distracted for even a second when it's possible for a small car to actually vanish out of your line of sight.

Honestly, the issue is that driving is an intense, high-concentration activity with huge stakes that we treat like a ho-hum daily chore. Reduced visibility, poor concentration, or distractions are enough to turn your daily commute into a homicide.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Paradoxish posted:

I'm sure it's a contributing factor, but the total number of accidents and claims is going way up, too. So there's a more or less equivalent increase in accidents that aren't killing people, too.

Genuinely grateful that I live in NYC and barely ever drive

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

Paradoxish posted:

They also have absurdly bad visibility, which (on top of being just objectively bad in and of itself) will exacerbate issues with drivers who aren't paying attention for whatever reason. It's really bad to be distracted for even a second when it's possible for a small car to actually vanish out of your line of sight.

Honestly, the issue is that driving is an intense, high-concentration activity with huge stakes that we treat like a ho-hum daily chore. Reduced visibility, poor concentration, or distractions are enough to turn your daily commute into a homicide.

Driving and car ownership loving suck and it is my dream to live in a place that requires neither

I've been doing both out of necessity for the better part of two decades and anyone who still thinks it's great after that long has badbrains

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

olives black posted:

Driving and car ownership loving suck and it is my dream to live in a place that requires neither

:same:

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I'm someone who loves to bike commute around my congested metropolis but am starting to doubt the sanity of that in these trying times.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Acelerion posted:

When all this poo poo popped off literally everyone in the world understood "Its a coronavirus and you get reinfected by them all the time. The only question is how long you have and if the reinfections are less severe" Then we all waited with bated breath until the first stories of reinfections started to come out ~4 months later. And then it turned out reinfections are about as severe as your first (roll of the dice wise) once more data came in.

People understood the vaccines were going to be leaky. We understood that the primary endpoint was reduction of severity and that infections were not even being tracked in the studies. We knew protection wouldent last and we would probably need boosters. In the end the vaccines were wildly more effective than we dared to hope for and even that isnt enough.

The human collective accepts this stuff as default true for things like influenza so its not as if they are incapable of understanding it. The problem I guess is two things - the very uncomfortable conclusions you have to draw if you accept all that, and the number of people peddling lies for ulterior motives that reinforces the first thing. But the truth of it has always been there.

In the summer of 2020 you would hear from people "when do you think all this will be over". Like it has to at some point be over. But with the above set of realities where is the force to end covid? What mechanism eliminates this horrible thing from our reality. I would tell people not less than a year, which was met with shock and disbelief. Forever is hard to swallow even with a clear eyed view of the facts. So lets just not believe it. Ignorance is bliss.

yeah the biggest lie was that the pandemic would end. the message, assuming we were interested in long term planning and saving lives lmao, would be to say we must adapt.

ah well, nevertheless

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 14:45 on Mar 4, 2023

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Gio posted:

yeah the biggest lie was that the pandemic would end. the message, assuming we were interested in long term planning and saving lives lmao, would be to say we must adapt.

ah well, nevertheless

We are adapting. We're adapting to having 400-500k fewer people around every year. It turns out that this is much easier than adapting to a mask on your face.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Zugzwang posted:

dying with Applebee’s, not from Applebee’s

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I'm someone who loves to bike commute around my congested metropolis but am starting to doubt the sanity of that in these trying times.

i fully went with running over biking because biking in this city seems like the second most dangerous thing you can do after disrespecting the cops

Apr 7, 2003

Acelerion posted:

I've always felt that driving really puts a spotlight on who a person is. From people who behave with empathy and kindness, to people with protagonist syndrome, to people who are cruel for sport, it kind of allows those traits to show through in a very clear way because there usually isnt any real benefit or consequences for behavior. Do you act like we are all in this together so lets just get make the best out of our terrible commute or are people obstacles and competitors to be eliminated.

The pandemic has done serious damage to what were already frayed societal bonds. So my contrarian theory is that poor/aggressive driving is at least partially a result of people becoming more individualistic in general.

Read Traffic by Tom Vanderbilt. Fantastic book.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2776527-traffic

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The Vinja Ninja posted:

My niece died last night probably from covid, RIP

Are we just going to deal with kids in sports dropping dead in games? Kids dyin in their sleep from the damage to their cardiovascular system?

Open biden. Shits recked me, I feel for my brother, this poo poo majorly sucks, kids dyin sucks.

But thats what our glorious leadership wants

doesnt the air taste sweeter, smiling faces, etc etc, open biden.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

mdemone posted:

I've been breathing complete dogshit my entire life

https://twitter.com/JimRosenthal4/status/1508787126837653517

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Speaking of remote jobs, I have an open rec at my company for a part-time data entry position where the person would report directly to me to help enter customer information that I'd use to build out contracts. It can be fairly boring work but is not customer facing and pays something like $17/hour and is 20 hours a week for 6 weeks. Happy to send over the application page if anybody here's interested, just PM me. We'd set up an interview. :D

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

The Vinja Ninja posted:

My niece died last night probably from covid, RIP

Are we just going to deal with kids in sports dropping dead in games? Kids dyin in their sleep from the damage to their cardiovascular system?

Open biden. Shits recked me, I feel for my brother, this poo poo majorly sucks, kids dyin sucks.

But thats what our glorious leadership wants

doesnt the air taste sweeter, smiling faces, etc etc, open biden.

gently caress Joe Biden forever

Sorry for your loss

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Tulip posted:

i fully went with running over biking because biking in this city seems like the second most dangerous thing you can do after disrespecting the cops
Yeah, I love cycling and would do it as much as possible if not for the fact that I basically don’t know any cyclists who haven’t been hit or had very close calls. I don’t expect that to improve given the deteriorating traffic conditions under discussion ITT

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

the not just bikes guy had mentioned that fatalities per mile had increased despite traffic volume going down from covid as a symptom of how dangerous north american roads are. No doubt that's a part of it but it definitely feels like more than one factor here.

Wonder how much of it is deadbrain, lovely huge cars, blinding LEDs, absurd speeds on roads that usually have more traffic

Noobicide
Sep 12, 2007
Should I be pressuring my parents in their late 60s to get another booster? They're in a rural but not super chuddy area, no major co-morbitities besides being overweight (not obese). Is the data as clear as it was with delta and boosters? I haven't been keeping up on covid stuff the way I was then for the sake my my mental health (still using n95 everywhere though). Many thanks

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

blue squares posted:

how long does it take to ship? I might order a few

I don't see your mod badge, sir

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

There must be a way to design a small flatpack corsi cube which fits easily into luggage which you can quickly click into shape for your hotel room when you're traveling. Not just for covid, air quality is going to become a bigger and bigger issue in the coming years

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Pillowpants posted:

Lots of people in my life getting sick with not COVID and going to work because it’s totally not COVID.

The government can hide poo poo all it wants but eventually long COVID is going to cause major societal problems.

COVID brain mass loss plus the Big Lie bullshit will be filling streets with blood.

We're creating a political underclass of common citizen rightwing mindslaves with early onset dementia and addiction to the latest horseshit outrage trend on Nazi Wine Mom Facebook

Ginni Thomas, but younger and driven desperate by medical bills and poo poo wages

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Dying (safely) in traffic is endemic, so wearing a seatbelt is insane.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
My wife volunteers for an organization that organizes sports and competitions for mentally challenged adults. They're getting their programs back up and running, with vaccination required for participants. She got an email last night from one of her higher functioning athletes threatening legal action from the athlete and her antivax mom for being bullied and having her freedoms taken away.

Surprised at how quickly the organization responded, they're obviously primed for this. Pretty sure the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms doesn't support the athlete's position but ianal.

There's a number of immunocompromised individuals in this group. gently caress everything.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Gio posted:

ah well, nevertheless

The talking point I still hear is that it'll become the flu and you just have to get a shot every year.

:rubby:

Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Dying (safely) in traffic is endemic, so wearing a seatbelt is insane.

Reminder that in the first 58 days of 2022, covid-19 killed nearly as many people as four years' worth of car crashes.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Reminder that in the first 58 days of 2022, covid-19 killed nearly as many people as four years' worth of car crashes.

The first 8 weeks of 2022 killed 36,000 more people than drug overdoses in 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Paradoxish posted:

Traffic fatalities are way, way up over the last two years, which is something that hasn't really happened ever in decades.

edit-https://www.fox61.com/article/life/...2b-5bdad1783c70

Note that traffic fatalities were up 16% in 2021 on top of an almost 19% increase in 2020. That's loving nuts.

Hmmm.

It's almost like there's some disease going around with potentially long term mental side effects on top of physical disability or death. Good thing the USA doesn't believe in regularly testing people on their driving skills, or there might be consequences for the car only transportation ideology.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

I wish COVID deaths was at the level of fatal traffic accidents.

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

skooma512 posted:

new Covid thread woo

that new covid smell

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Fleetwood posted:

that new covid smell

Doesn't it smell so much sweeter without a mask?

New Found Power
Aug 18, 2005

As in atom bomb... As in nuclear fission.. As in the end of the world.

Paradoxish posted:

Also the horrifying trend to fill the cabin with the most outrageously distracting technology and just shrug at the possibility that this might be in any way dangerous. as a driver of an old (2008-ish) car I'm always horrified when I get into something more up to date and discover that all the console controls which are big, chunky, tactile knobs and buttons on my dashboard have been replaced by stupid little clickwheels at best and touchscreens at worst

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Iron Crowned posted:

The talking point I still hear is that it'll become the flu and you just have to get a shot every year.

"have to"

is the flu shot mandatory anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Animal-Mother posted:

"have to"

is the flu shot mandatory anywhere?

some health systems make it mandatory for healthcare workers.

outside of those few places? no