Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
depending on what monitor you use, too, you might be able to connect to either a 3.5mm or optical out jack to whatever speakers you end up buying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

CaptainCrunch posted:

For speakers with the 3.5 mm plug, the Studio's specs say the headphone jack has "advanced support for high-impedance headphones or line out for amplified speakers." That's exactly for this sort of thing, right? I'm not going to get crap sound by plugging speakers into a "headphone" jack?

Yeah I think "advanced" just means they're autodetecting. A line in is 10K ohms or more, all headphones should be under 1K (and most under 50). Not too hard to sense the difference and change the output driver to the appropriate mode.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

BobHoward posted:

Yeah I think "advanced" just means they're autodetecting. A line in is 10K ohms or more, all headphones should be under 1K (and most under 50). Not too hard to sense the difference and change the output driver to the appropriate mode.

Honestly that’s rad, and perfect for folks like me.
Thank you for the explanation.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Binary Badger posted:

Check this out: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204087

You can download a Windows Migration Assistant on the PC side for the appropriate macOS revision on your Mac (it will likely be Monterey)
and according to the page, you get to select the types of data that can be ported over, including:

Think they mean Microsoft Edge.. if you keep your bookmarks in any of these formats you're golden.

I've used this a bunch of times when helping folks move from their Dells to Macs, works nicely, it's a boost for folks who sigh in relief that they don't have to port over their bookmarks en masse. Of course you can argue "But then they have to learn / settle for Safari" but hey, it works.

The built-in import feature under File > Import supports Google Chrome, Firefox, bookmark HTML files, and password CSV files.

But of course this requires you manually export those formats from your favorite PC browser to a FAT-formatted flash drive or network volume.

Thanks

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Speakerchat: I love my audio engine stuff, but I really just use headphones 99% of the time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Edifier makes incredibly good speakers at a wide range of price points depending on how much you want to spend. Pretty much everything they make is much better than you’d think for the price.

https://www.edifier.com/product-s880db.html

These are some of their midrange speakers that I always thought match nicely with an Apple aesthetic.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve weened myself off headphones and just blast things from my MacBooks speakers and it sounds pretty good I say. Don’t have kids though so it’s single guy privilege I suppose

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
So both of my normally dependable
mid12 MBPs are down; need keyboard for one & DC i/o for the other. Waiting on those parts, sister gave me a barely-used MBA, also mid12. She wiped it so I had to do a new install of 10.8.5

The absolute goddamn fuckery it's been to even get to the point of wondering how this is ever gonna be upgraded without using another computer has been maddening. First found out that 2-factor wasn't supported which explained why any Apple ID login on the machine said I was using the wrong credentials. Now I'm having to install Mojave via the AppStore which seems like it"ll be done in a year. And not a single browser works on this machine because none of them are supported. I'll continue to sing the praises of Apple hardware but this process is rocketing up the charts past any bothersome Windows/Linux upgrade I've done in the past.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

C2C - 2.0 posted:

mid12 MBPs are down; need keyboard for one & DC i/o for the other. Waiting on those parts, sister gave me a barely-used MBA, also mid12. She wiped it so I had to do a new install of 10.8.5

The absolute goddamn fuckery it's been to even get to the point of wondering how this is ever gonna be upgraded without using another computer has been maddening. First found out that 2-factor wasn't supported which explained why any Apple ID login on the machine said I was using the wrong credentials. Now I'm having to install Mojave via the AppStore which seems like it"ll be done in a year. And not a single browser works on this machine because none of them are supported. I'll continue to sing the praises of Apple hardware but this process is rocketing up the charts past any bothersome Windows/Linux upgrade I've done in the past.

Even Safari doesn’t work?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Ok Comboomer posted:

Even Safari doesn’t work?

It does if I go to the default page after it upgraded, which is just Apple's main page. Hodgepodge of others off of their base domain work but no rhyme or reason as to the ones that won't load (Manage Apple ID is one that won't; the store main page will, for instance.) I can go to google.com & even get search results but clicking on results nets me no luck while I can't even connect to DuckDuck or Bing. Almost to a page, I get the "secure connection" error in Safari. Been through DNS entries, ipv6 on/off, cleared history et al to no avail. The keychain that's on the laptop doesn't have any of my entries that are on the other devices so I suspect there's some certificate silliness occurring, but barring an upgrade or being able to go through iCloud, I don't see a way to add my keychain. At the point now that each step to try to remedy any of this I'm doing on my phone because I've never had an upgrade or update go sideways on a MB. Disk health is fine too & nothing was out of the ordinary on a reboot diagnostic. If I could just get Mojave to DL; it keeps timing out every 20 minutes which doesn't happen on other devices here & between streaming, distros, & other sundry downloads, the size of Mojave isn't really a concern bandwidth-wise.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry for the frustrating thread experience over the past few pages. I tried the hands-off approach and it didn't work out this time around. Ok Comboomer is taking a bit of a break to hopefully find their place of zen. If the thread could move on, that would be great. Feel free to PM me with any questions/comments and thanks to the folks who reported the posts instead of making the thread worse to read.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Hasturtium posted:

Checking eBay it looks like the 5770’s actually going for a lower average price than the 2600XT - you could probably manage for around $50 in the U.S. after shipping. In the realm of old Mac hardware prices I’d jump on that. And yeah, upgrades are probably beside the point for a machine old enough to want to date boys, but I’m all for keeping old boxes with established use cases until they die of old age.

Oooh... actually now that I think about it, we have like four 2010 Mac Pros at work just sitting there doing nothing. I should ask my boss if I can take the graphics card out of one of them. He probably wouldn't care.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry for the frustrating thread experience over the past few pages. I tried the hands-off approach and it didn't work out this time around. Ok Comboomer is taking a bit of a break to hopefully find their place of zen. If the thread could move on, that would be great. Feel free to PM me with any questions/comments and thanks to the folks who reported the posts instead of making the thread worse to read.

Soooo…we’re not changing the thread title?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hahaha, no, not to that. I'll change it to something else and if there are better suggestions, I am all ears.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

In other 5K news, I just found out the Studio Display doesn't support multiple inputs and I legitimately just don't understand why Apple is doing these things.

A big part of me is treating this monitor the same way I treat the iPad in hindsight. Or the original MacBook Air would probably be more appropriate. It's cool, it does its one thing stupid well, but the other stuff won't get better than competition until a newer revision, which is fine. It really does to be in this middle ground where I really want 5K, but at to the extent where I either have to give up a lot of stuff I have now or pay (even) more to get the functionality.

I did at least figure out that the bug with sleep is not because of my monitors, but because of my DisplayPort cable, so that was a nice easy fix. There are a slew of oddball issues in Monterrey though, but that's a story for the software thread.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Seriously? My $250 LG 4K monitor supports multiple inputs lmao.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i expect it’s because in their research nobody bothered to use them to make adding the dollars worth of functionality worth it to them

it’s dumb as hell but it doesn’t surprise me either

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, my thinking with Apple stuff these days is they only make them specifically to work within the Apple realm of products, so there's never much thought put into Apple stuff being in the tech sphere overall. Apple doesn't envision people having two Mac Studios or two Mac minis etc etc, so they don't see a need to have multiple inputs -- because you'll plug this one Apple monitor into this one Apple device.

I think the MacBook Air comparison was pretty on-par. There were other laptops on the scene that objectively did a lot more, came with more base "features" and even the ones closely related had more features but not an aluminum body or quite as thin. If someone wanted a super-thin laptop that ran macOS, then dropping $1800 on an Air back then was worth it since that was the only option. But it being overpriced was the main thing -- but it was also the only thing that did one thing *really well*

BUT at the same time, years later, the Air is now the cheaper/budget brand and after a few revisions and tech-advancements elsewhere, either third parties picked up the slack (offering USB-C hubs) or Apple just made the laptop better.

It's a weird space for me to be in since I genuinely do like the Studio Display as a product on its own. If I don't compare it to anything and solely just look at its screen with nothing moving on it, I like it a whole lot. It's just this weird game of first generation Apple products being like "market tests" that irks me. Especially when the products being shown are actually really cool ideas.

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

In other 5K news, I just found out the Studio Display doesn't support multiple inputs and I legitimately just don't understand why Apple is doing these things.

This is good to know. I wanted to share it between my work MBP and personal Mini. Easy decision now.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Something to try if problems continue: as long as it ever had a recent enough OS installed to get the appropriate firmware update, performing Internet Recovery should allow it to go straight to the most recent supported OS. (On the other hand, if the firmware isn't up to date, 2012 vintage Internet Recovery will be unable to install anything other than the specific OS which originally shipped with the machine, putting you back in upgrade hell.)

Also, this may or may not be relevant, but I had an odd installation experience on a 2009 MBP whose root caused turned out to be that certs have expiration dates. Apple uses certs as part of how the OS validates itself, the system clock was set to the current date, and the OS I was trying to install was old enough that its cert had expired. (Had to be that old an OS, I was installing whatever the latest supported version was.) This caused the install to fail partway through. Manually setting the clock to a date close to the year that OS was released made everything go smoothly.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

LODGE NORTH posted:

Yeah, my thinking with Apple stuff these days is they only make them specifically to work within the Apple realm of products, so there's never much thought put into Apple stuff being in the tech sphere overall. Apple doesn't envision people having two Mac Studios or two Mac minis etc etc, so they don't see a need to have multiple inputs -- because you'll plug this one Apple monitor into this one Apple device.

I think the MacBook Air comparison was pretty on-par. There were other laptops on the scene that objectively did a lot more, came with more base "features" and even the ones closely related had more features but not an aluminum body or quite as thin. If someone wanted a super-thin laptop that ran macOS, then dropping $1800 on an Air back then was worth it since that was the only option. But it being overpriced was the main thing -- but it was also the only thing that did one thing *really well*

BUT at the same time, years later, the Air is now the cheaper/budget brand and after a few revisions and tech-advancements elsewhere, either third parties picked up the slack (offering USB-C hubs) or Apple just made the laptop better.

It's a weird space for me to be in since I genuinely do like the Studio Display as a product on its own. If I don't compare it to anything and solely just look at its screen with nothing moving on it, I like it a whole lot. It's just this weird game of first generation Apple products being like "market tests" that irks me. Especially when the products being shown are actually really cool ideas.

I think that's a pretty common impression, and absolutely something that sucks about the company's behavior in the market. MKBHD had a similar note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ3H_z4XXBI

Truth be told I'm a lot more hostile to this design because it makes a lot of user-hostile design choices, and even if you were so far into the Mac-o-sphere to really want this product: there's a good chance they fix some of these quirks on the next gen and make you feel like an idiot for being an early adopter for the first whack at the design. I mean, you would be, so

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i think idiots a bit harsh

if you’re like a macrumors groupie and bitch about the next revision because you bought four then yeah

if you’re a photographer and make money off it i don’t think it matters much in the grand scheme say

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Depends on whether you can write it off as a business expense I wager, but there's still a number of things with the display that shouldn't be acceptable—like the cable, or the mount position not being in the center of the back, for example. I think as people complain these things will get addressed, but until then it's another "let's put the charge port of the magic mouse on the bottom so nobody can use it while it charges" kinda thing

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i mean i'm not sure they'll really be addressed; apple has shown a very limited willingness to give a gently caress sometimes. the biggest issue keeping it from being a relatively okay choice imo is the mediocre refresh rates. everything else most people are probably not going to complain too much about.

don't get me wrong, the stand alone is the dumbest loving thing i've seen since they pulled the same move with the shmancy version, i just don't think most of the complaints will matter to a lot of people who buy apple (this thread excepted, obv)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a semi-related question; in the presentation they showed off using multiple displays - can you use the webcams and speakers from more than one display at a time

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

BobHoward posted:

Something to try if problems continue: as long as it ever had a recent enough OS installed to get the appropriate firmware update, performing Internet Recovery should allow it to go straight to the most recent supported OS. (On the other hand, if the firmware isn't up to date, 2012 vintage Internet Recovery will be unable to install anything other than the specific OS which originally shipped with the machine, putting you back in upgrade hell.)

Also, this may or may not be relevant, but I had an odd installation experience on a 2009 MBP whose root caused turned out to be that certs have expiration dates. Apple uses certs as part of how the OS validates itself, the system clock was set to the current date, and the OS I was trying to install was old enough that its cert had expired. (Had to be that old an OS, I was installing whatever the latest supported version was.) This caused the install to fail partway through. Manually setting the clock to a date close to the year that OS was released made everything go smoothly.

Yeah, I haven't been able to get around the connectivity issues & have tried a bunch of dates. The fact that the recoveries (2 so far) have been 10. 8, followed by downloading the old installer that had OSX, El C, & I think Sierra only to run it from disk & see the upgrade was 7mb and despair because I was gonna be reinstalling 10.8 all over again pretty much means I am deffo behind on firmware. I'll probably have to locate the correct one, DL it to my phone, then transfer it from there. ITunes is worthless on this thing but oddly it reads my iPhone as attached storage & opens the root "On My iPhone" directory

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, if I'm trying to move up a converted 4,1 or 5,1 to Mojave now I find I have to drop to Terminal and set the date to 2018 or something ridiculous.

The error message is like super unhelpful too, it doesn't say why the install fails, just that it can't be installed on this volume.

There's no way you would snap your fingers and say 'aha, I need to travel back in time five years,' the given message would imply there's something structurally wrong with that disk.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 30, 2022

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Experienced my first full on kernel panic, grey screen, multi language error in like 5 years. The beta tag on universal control is legit.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

mediaphage posted:

i think idiots a bit harsh

if you’re like a macrumors groupie and bitch about the next revision because you bought four then yeah

if you’re a photographer and make money off it i don’t think it matters much in the grand scheme say

And lets be honest, if you're a business, part of it is the presentation and impressing clients.

I remember when we got the iMac Pros right after they were released people noticed and commented on them at our post house. Asked what they were like, took a close look at them... seeing the black iMac was like this elusive thing back then, so it stood out

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Yeast posted:

Experienced my first full on kernel panic, grey screen, multi language error in like 5 years. The beta tag on universal control is legit.

Universal control may be in beta but it’s already deployed on production in my heart. It’s very good

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

Binary Badger posted:

The error message is like super unhelpful too, it doesn't say why the install fails, just that it can't be installed on this volume.

Yeah, I only found the solution because I typed in the exact phrase and sifted through a few google hits. Never would have figured out the clock needed to be rolled back from the error itself.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

Mr. Mercury posted:

Truth be told I'm a lot more hostile to this design because it makes a lot of user-hostile design choices, and even if you were so far into the Mac-o-sphere to really want this product: there's a good chance they fix some of these quirks on the next gen and make you feel like an idiot for being an early adopter for the first whack at the design. I mean, you would be, so
I don't remember if they've ever done multiple inputs on their displays, and I'm talking about going all the way back to the old CRTs. It's just never been a thing in Apple display land.

But one thing I've wondered about with this one, haven't looked too much into it but from some things I've read it sounds like it supports DisplayPort input, rather than just being purely Thunderbolt only like some previous TB displays have been. Kinda wonder if there's a USB 4 KVM or whatever that could work, it'd be like the old days before multiple inputs were the norm and you could get a hardware switch :v:

mediaphage posted:

a semi-related question; in the presentation they showed off using multiple displays - can you use the webcams and speakers from more than one display at a time
I imagine they'd show up as regular input devices (based on them supposedly working in Windows), in which case yeah that should be possible as long as you have the software for it, like OBS or whatever. Or just using different cameras for different apps simultaneously.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I got to spend an afternoon editing on the Pro Display XDR today, aaaaaand I think I'm ruined.

It's so, so beautiful. Another photographer I do some work with is moving overseas and doesn't want to take it with him, I'm seriously hoping he offers it to me at a good price. It's insane.

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib
I think a lot of Apple’s decisions should be viewed through the lens of corporate culture— Apple’s seems to be fairly unique these days. They used to be very proud of making the right calls for users without ‘needing’ things like feedback. A lot of their old product wins went against the grain— iMacs and iPods and iPhones. They set this pattern that a good idea outweighs market research. It’s hero-design, and set the stage for the Ive era where it was okay if designers got to far into their own heads.

And it worked. Apple has made more money than god. And they got there by ignoring users.

It hit a wall. And we’re seeing the beginning of the clawback.

But Apple still very much sees itself as the smartest people in the room. That ego runs deep. Entire careers and departments are built off of that. Why does the Studio Display have only one input? Because Apple displays always have one input. And that’s the Apple way. And, to the micro level, as I recall, no Apple display in the LCD era has ever had any control on it other than a power button.

Also remember that everyone who works at Apple corporate is on a six figure salary. The real decision makers are on seven. This is absolutely “Need another input? Buy another screen, dummy,” territory.

Ask me about my conspiracy theory that the reason Apple shifted MacOS apps to that ridiculous always-saved document paradigm a few years back (away from save-save as-open) was because no one could think of a better save icon than a floppy disk.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I’ve never used multiple inputs on a monitor before, what do you use them for, stuff that doesn’t need a keyboard/mouse like consoles? Or do you just have two sets of kb/m? I figured I’d you were switching computers you would want to use a kvm anyways.

Maybe with Bluetooth a KVM isn’t as necessary?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

FCKGW posted:

I’ve never used multiple inputs on a monitor before, what do you use them for, stuff that doesn’t need a keyboard/mouse like consoles? Or do you just have two sets of kb/m? I figured I’d you were switching computers you would want to use a kvm anyways.

Some people probably want to have a gaming PC or Xbox or something hooked up to the same monitor as their Mac.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

FCKGW posted:

Multiple inputs = multiple computers connected to the same monitor. E.g. you have a gaming PC and Mac at the same desk, or work computer and personal computer at the same desk and want to use the same monitor(s) for both setups. And KVMs that can handle modern setups are much more expensive than just a USB switcher.

e: also, in some cases with a multi-monitor setup you may want the flexibility to have either all monitors go to one computer, or have each monitor showing a separate computer (rather than with a KVM that generally only allows swapping everything rather than mix & match).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Mar 31, 2022

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
yeah KVMs that can do quality outputs are priiicey

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
On my monitor I have my laptop and two consoles hooked up to it. Didn’t know it was an edge case but I guess most people play their games on their nice TVs I’m too stingy to buy. But for me my 1440p monitor is the highest res screen I have that can take inputs and properly scaled retro games look real nice on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

thetzar posted:

But Apple still very much sees itself as the smartest people in the room. That ego runs deep. Entire careers and departments are built off of that. Why does the Studio Display have only one input? Because Apple displays always have one input. And that’s the Apple way. And, to the micro level, as I recall, no Apple display in the LCD era has ever had any control on it other than a power button.

I don't disagree with you but the Cinema Displays used to have brightness controls, at least!