Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i like that goldmask got cool enough to fx the elden ring through right thought, asceticism, and medtation and dung eater got there by eating turds

Wizard vs sorcerer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

i like that goldmask got cool enough to fx the elden ring through right thought, asceticism, and medtation and dung eater got there by eating turds

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

all im going to say is i truly feel for the sanitation workers in leyndell and leave it at that

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i like how this game turned a bunch of already existing dark souls enemy models & skeletons into all new enemy types with slight cosmetic differences and new attacks. yet another way modern fromsoft games remind me of the post-rondo castlevanias

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Lore stuff about empyreans and Ranni and the family tree, I forget exactly the wording, but doesn't something say "Ranni stole the death rune and killed her own empyrean flesh" or whatever? I thought empyreans were the offspring of one god, like Malenia and Miquella. Rennala not her real mom and she was the first child (in secret?) of the single god?? Idk, I don't get it

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sourdough posted:

Lore stuff about empyreans and Ranni and the family tree, I forget exactly the wording, but doesn't something say "Ranni stole the death rune and killed her own empyrean flesh" or whatever? I thought empyreans were the offspring of one god, like Malenia and Miquella. Rennala not her real mom and she was the first child (in secret?) of the single god?? Idk, I don't get it

Where I am they have only defined Empyreans as rhose who could be the next Marika but they didn’t say why. Ranni cast aside her body as a two fingers to the two fingers trying to control her destiny. It also seems like she became the first demigod by letting her body be killed but Godwyns soul be killed and his body living. Which really seems to have hosed him over based on fia and finger reader crones in Noskell

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

Where I am they have only defined Empyreans as rhose who could be the next Marika but they didn’t say why. Ranni cast aside her body as a two fingers to the two fingers trying to control her destiny. It also seems like she became the first demigod by letting her body be killed but Godwyns soul be killed and his body living. Which really seems to have hosed him over based on fia and finger reader crones in Noskell

That's a good point, I knew it mentioned somewhere Malenia was one and her remembrance item is the thing: Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth.

But I also don't think I ever found anything specific about why Godwyn had to be killed (or was it just to begin to gently caress poo poo up lol), so am missing something big about that too

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, about the Ranni thing:

She stole a fragment of Death which she used to empower the Black Knife Assassins to be able to kill demigods. Those assassins then killed both her and Godwyn, though they each only half-died--Ranni's body died, Godwyn's soul died. It's unclear whether Godwyn's death was part of Ranni's plan or not, as she might have just wanted to shed her body to be free of the Two Fingers and there are suggestions that Marika was behind the Night of Black Knives (either she took advantage of Ranni's theft or was working with Ranni, that's also unclear I think).

Godwyn is hosed up now. It looks like his body fused with the Erdtree's roots in a way and now a distorted version of his face shows up in a bunch of places associated with Deathblight.

Another thing with Ranni is the implied connection between her and Melina. They have opposite eyes closed and Melina describes herself as "burned and bodiless" early in the game, which is a descriptor that also applies to Ranni. Possible they're two halves of a whole or something.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EmmyOk posted:

so she was a demigod before that, demigod seems like its just a title slash maybe an acknowledgement of how much power you got from the erdtree through marika. godwyn was supposed to be the first one to die but she either planned th conspiracy to kill him/found out about it (unclear here) and decided to use it to get out from under the greater will/her personal two fingers by killin herself at the same moment which yeah super hosed him over. conveniently she was already friends with a huge pervert so she got seluvis to make her a puppet and then thats where you come in

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

sourdough posted:

That's a good point, I knew it mentioned somewhere Malenia was one and her remembrance item is the thing: Miquella and Malenia are both the children of a single god. As such they are both Empyreans, but suffered afflictions from birth.

But I also don't think I ever found anything specific about why Godwyn had to be killed (or was it just to begin to gently caress poo poo up lol), so am missing something big about that too

I think ranni used that to shed her body without her soul dying. And I think that ended up precipated the shattering maybe and everyone going hog wild

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I've finished Ranni's questline (I think) and still don't really know what any of it is about. what the gently caress is an Empyrean? why did she have to kill her body? the black knife edge lords use the weapons/tools she designed but don't work for her? what's with the fuckin doll

Edit: phone didn't update with the above few posts lol. I don't think she killed Godwyn or had him killed intentionally, I feel like uh Rogier's questline mentions that maybe?

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 29, 2022

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I've finished Ranni's questline (I think) and still don't really know what any of it is about. what the gently caress is an Empyrean? why did she have to kill her body? the black knife edge lords use the weapons/tools she designed but don't work for her? what's with the fuckin doll

Ranni killed her body as part of her plan to be free of the Two Fingers' control. Not entirely sure exactly why that was a necessary step but it does appear to have worked and allowed her to kill a Two Fingers at the end of her questline.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Edit: phone didn't update with the above few posts lol. I don't think she killed Godwyn or had him killed intentionally, I feel like uh Rogier's questline mentions that maybe?

I think Rogier says that Ranni was the one behind the whole thing, though Rogier also doesn't know the whole truth, either, and there are suggestions from item descriptions that Marika may have been the one to order Godwyn's death.

That'd be consistent with Marika's apparent motivations if it's the case, since she seems--like Ranni--to be willing to do anything to be free of the Greater Will's control.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Yeah she definitely did it to be free of their control. Not really sure what any of the fingers are though. If they’re just conduits of the greater will or a separate thing. She definitely seems to have done it intentionally and imo making sure only her body dies is why Godwyn got domed. Wonder if I’ll see him at any point Witt the fia stuff done. Godfrey just got run out of town on a rail according to turtle pope so not sure what his deal was

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Harrow posted:

Ranni killed her body as part of her plan to be free of the Two Fingers' control. Not entirely sure exactly why that was a necessary step but it does appear to have worked and allowed her to kill a Two Fingers at the end of her questline.

That's another odd thing. I don't really understand why it was necessary, but that feels like something we don't really need to know in detail, but how many Two Fingers are there - why are there dead ones at every Divine Tower other than the one where Ranni's body is? one set of Fingers for each demigod?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

i think she did it because that made her two fingers and the greater will lose track of her for a bit so she could do her underhanded poo poo. i think her deal (havent gotten the actual ending yet but this is my guess) is that she wants to be the next marika but she doesnt want to be ruled by the greater will. not sure what that actually looks like yet but i'm pumped to find out

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

hosed up that Aeris dies so many times in this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kongming posted:

she's stuck on Malenia

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's another odd thing. I don't really understand why it was necessary, but that feels like something we don't really need to know in detail, but how many Two Fingers are there - why are there dead ones at every Divine Tower other than the one where Ranni's body is? one set of Fingers for each demigod?

ranni mentions at one point that theres at least one two fingers for each empyrean plus there were a bunch of others that came down to spread the word of the greater will

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Greater will controls poo poo through the elden ring, each shardbearer gets a two fingers agent of the greater will kinda makes sense. The one in roundtable hold isn't there til you get a shard, yeah? And all the ones you find at divine towers are dead because you've killed the shardbearer and taken the shard they had

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Harrow posted:

she's stuck on Malenia

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i think she did it because that made her two fingers and the greater will lose track of her for a bit so she could do her underhanded poo poo. i think her deal (havent gotten the actual ending yet but this is my guess) is that she wants to be the next marika but she doesnt want to be ruled by the greater will. not sure what that actually looks like yet but i'm pumped to find out

I got that ending so I won't be too specific but yeah I agree with your read on why she needed to ditch her body and become a soul hopping between doll bodies

I'm also really curious about the potential connections between Ranni and Melina and I wonder if it's just a thematic link or if there's a literal element to it as well

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fungah! posted:

That’s what I think it is too.

Also curious about the lunar stuff turtle mentioned when Radagon married Renalla after they went to war. But not sure if there’ll be anything major there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Elden Ring lore is so good

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

sourdough posted:

Greater will controls poo poo through the elden ring, each shardbearer gets a two fingers agent of the greater will kinda makes sense. The one in roundtable hold isn't there til you get a shard, yeah? And all the ones you find at divine towers are dead because you've killed the shardbearer and taken the shard they had

i think its more that the greater will just sent down a shitload of thm in the first place to spread the word, also i think theyre just generally dyin as the elden ring stays broken. the one we see is starting to rot, they might have just fuckin died or been killed as part of the shattering and the whole golden order melting

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Harrow posted:

I'm also really curious about the potential connections between Ranni and Melina and I wonder if it's just a thematic link or if there's a literal element to it as well

Gotta be literal with how their eyes line up, but idk how or why. I saw something about Melina's eye opens up at some point if you do frenzied flame ending early enough, but so far in ng+ I just did mountaintop of giants and haven't seen it yet

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kongming posted:

Harrow posted:

she's stuck on Malenia

lol

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

sourdough posted:

Gotta be literal with how their eyes line up, but idk how or why. I saw something about Melina's eye opens up at some point if you do frenzied flame ending early enough, but so far in ng+ I just did mountaintop of giants and haven't seen it yet

Yeah, and when she opens her eye it looks a lot like Ranni's open eye. Melina also describes herself as "burned and bodiless" which is also true for Ranni, who doesn't have a body and whose body is a burnt husk when you find it.

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Harrow posted:

Elden Ring lore is so good

its kinda killing me seeing all the spoiler tags surrounding empyreons and ranni since i havent dipped into that stuff yet and want to get my own interpretations before i read other ppls takes, but glad ppl are having fun tho

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

i think its more that the greater will just sent down a shitload of thm in the first place to spread the word, also i think theyre just generally dyin as the elden ring stays broken. the one we see is starting to rot, they might have just fuckin died or been killed as part of the shattering and the whole golden order melting

That makes sense, cause yeah he's falling apart lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My current theory is Millicent is Malenia. They both have the prosthetic arms and connection to scarlet rot. And the whole thing with her in Caelid and the golden needle was very strange. They also both have the same colour hair I think though I haven’t seen under Malenia mask. Hoping to get to Malenia this weekend if I get some long sessions in

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

That’s what I think it is too.

Also curious about the lunar stuff turtle mentioned when Radagon married Renalla after they went to war. But not sure if there’ll be anything major there.

Is there a moon in the sky before you beat Radahn? I'm not sure there is and the stuff with the celestial bodies is giving me heavy Morrowind/Glorantha vibes

Re Melina I feel like there's some cut content there, dataminers added her as an enemy and it turns out she has a full fleshed out boss moveset. I haven't done past the mountaintop yet though so avoiding spoiling myself on that stuff

Lunchmeat Larry fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 29, 2022

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

BARRET: Check the what? Fetish life? That's some @#$&ing Don Corneo *$#&! I'm goin', goin', GONE. And I'm leaving the INT builds to you!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It reminds me of moon presence and stuff from bloodborne lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

BARRET: Check the what? Fetish life? That's some @#$&ing Don Corneo *$#&! I'm goin', goin', GONE. And I'm leaving the INT builds to you!

lmao

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

oh yeah one thing that fuckin blew my mind that you can see in extreme sw liurnia: theres not just one moon, theres two, and you can only see the one from the moon altar after ranni's quest

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
dung eater has some good ideas

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fungah! posted:

oh yeah one thing that fuckin blew my mind that you can see in extreme sw liurnia: theres not just one moon, theres two, and you can only see the one from the moon altar after ranni's quest

Huh that's cool, I need to go see

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010

whatis posted:

dung eater has some good ideas

If any of his ideas are stoving your head in with bricks, then yeah, I have to agree.