Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'm not sure! I don't think it was Graven, that one has much more in common with Hexen or Heretic than Arx Fatalis. Now I'm curious, I'd love a Not-Arx Fatalis to play. Also, don't let my post discourage you, maybe you'll like Blood West. I mean it's got a pretty positive reception, I'm just very, very picky about my game experiences.

I like what I've played of Blood West, though I'm waiting for them to add FOV adjustment before I delve in properly. Stalker is the closest thing gameplay wise I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Now I'm curious, I'd love a Not-Arx Fatalis to play.

Monomyth!! The steam page is dusty but the dev is still posting teasers regularly on his twitter feed so I guess it's chugging along. It's probably gonna be nothing like Arx Fatalis, but I can always dream.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Does anyone here have a deep (and I do mean very deep) understanding of Boom voodoo dolls? I have some esoteric questions about linedef operation orders, instant floors and ceilings, and such.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Stalker is the closest thing gameplay wise I think.

*busting in here so fast the thread door flies off its hinges* tell me more

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

After 13 years and at least two split-off projects, TNT2: Devilution has released a public beta.

cool, love decades long megawad projects

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
New thing in the add-ons for the Quake rerelease: czg's Terra episode. Glad to see they are properly exploiting one of the MachineGames resident mappers. :-)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

JLaw posted:

New thing in the add-ons for the Quake rerelease: czg's Terra episode. Glad to see they are properly exploiting one of the MachineGames resident mappers. :-)
Developer Interview

If you've played Terra before, this is apparently an updated version with two new levels (a start map and a finale) and the previously released Witch House Mixtape.

Meanwhile, as threatened, Civvie vs. Nightmare Reaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh_pTUZjXJA

The Kins fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 29, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, as threatened, Civvie vs. Nightmare Reaper
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh_pTUZjXJA

So, I went from being vaguely aware of Nightmare Reaper, just from it being the subject of a then-unplayed-by-me video of Civvie's, then to read about it here itt like a few days ago, to starting his new video, to going back, watching the first video before I continue on with the latest, which is where I am right now.

As a big fan of PW and ROTT, I am 100% down with this game, and I need it now.

Now to go back and reread what people were complaining about. The framerate?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It also seems it's really difficult to see the enemies over all your weapon effects.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nightmare Reaper does look a lot better in motion. I’ll give it a try sometime.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I went from being vaguely aware of Nightmare Reaper, just from it being the subject of a then-unplayed-by-me video of Civvie's, then to read about it here itt like a few days ago, to starting his new video, to going back, watching the first video before I continue on with the latest, which is where I am right now.

As a big fan of PW and ROTT, I am 100% down with this game, and I need it now.

Now to go back and reread what people were complaining about. The framerate?

The dev is really attached to dynamic lighting, making everything reflective and putting light sources everywhere. It runs pretty terribly for what it is.

If you turn on resolution scaling it looks much better because you don't have the massive difference in pixel density between the textures/sprites and the effects. It's still rendering a billion lights all of the time though.

Anyone try Lunacid? I just picked it up this weekend and I'm enjoying it a lot.

caleb fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 29, 2022

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah, Nightmare Reaper is entirely too visually busy at all times. Even if you have a system that can handle all the effects, I'd still recommend bumping a bunch of the options down, such as lens flares and shadows.

It's really fun though, so once you get past the above it's all good.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

caleb posted:

The dev is really attached to dynamic lighting, making everything reflective and putting light sources everywhere. It runs pretty terribly for what it is.

If you turn on resolution scaling it looks much better because you don't have the massive difference in pixel density between the textures/sprites and the effects. It's still rendering a billion lights all of the time though.

This actually fixed one of my complaints. I never thought of reducing the resolution, usually that would be the last thing I'd try, but in a game like this with very pixellated art, sprites, and primitive textures, you can barely notice the difference between 100% resolution and 50%.
The game gets a bit better when you discover new, better enemies, the first three level were pretty meh in that regard. Also, in Civvie's video he talks of dash and double jump, stuff I don't have.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 29, 2022

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Turin Turambar posted:

This actually fixed one of my complaints. I never thought of reducing the resolution, usually that would be the last thing I'd try, but in a game like this with very pixellated art, sprites, and primitive textures, you can barely notice the difference between 100% resolution and 50%.
The game gets a bit better when you discover new, better enemies, the first three level were pretty meh in that regard. Also, in Civvie's video he talks of dash and double jump, stuff I don't have.

I'm pretty sure the dash ability is on the first skill upgrade 'world'.

Speaking of, while the minigames at first were a novelty, I'm glad you can turn them off. I know you miss out on a certain amount of bonus gold, but I feel like you level too quickly in this anyway.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm pretty sure the dash ability is on the first skill upgrade 'world'.

Speaking of, while the minigames at first were a novelty, I'm glad you can turn them off. I know you miss out on a certain amount of bonus gold, but I feel like you level too quickly in this anyway.

Let me check.. no, it's the second upgrade of the second world

First world has the first weapon unlock as the more gameplay altering change.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah been playing nightmare reaper. The base speed feels needlessly hindered to make the upgrade feel better, but its a perfectly fine game. Its the maximum amount of rogue I want in a game.

Turning off the minigames was like the very, very first thing I did I feel bad devs but that was a complete waste of time, Im sorry.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
You can toggle the mini games off and back on right, cause if so I might do it for the first stage of the second world cause I can't seem to figure that one out

Might turn off the topaz one permanently as it's kind of terrible overall compared to Skill Tree

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

drrockso20 posted:

You can toggle the mini games off and back on right, cause if so I might do it for the first stage of the second world cause I can't seem to figure that one out

Might turn off the topaz one permanently as it's kind of terrible overall compared to Skill Tree

The Pokémon one is terrible, yeah. Also it seems to be made up mostly of not especially great upgrades - stuff like 1% incremental chances of a crit etc.
Don't sleep on the pills you can add to the rucksack in the 2nd skill tree though. They're like mutators that give you bonus gold etc in exchange for taking more damage or some other negative effect.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

JLaw posted:

This is very much worth playing. The original maps have been both remixed and rearranged for smoother progression and they've also thrown in witch house mixtape and a made a brand new, rather huge finale map.

The path to unlocking nightmare difficulty is also quite amusing. Good luck.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Topaz Minigame is, uh, dogshit. Sorry.

Got a weird bug where it just wont let me shoot sometimes. Its usually short lived but its noticeable and got me killed once. Might need to try another mouse even though no other game has input issues.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 30, 2022

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Deus Ex Randomizer has been updated to let you combine it with GMDX.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

How much randomization are we talking here? I’ve been meaning to give Lay D Denton a try sometime so if these all play nice together now I’ll probably do that.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

How much randomization are we talking here? I’ve been meaning to give Lay D Denton a try sometime so if these all play nice together now I’ll probably do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0Li3XuBjGg

quote:

## Currently in v1.8, DXRando randomizes
* locations of goals, NPCs, and some starting locations
* medbots and repair bots (with hint datacubes near them)
* adding and moving turrets, cameras, security computers, and datacubes for them
* starting equipment, bioelectric energy, and credits
* moving enemies around, adding and changing enemies/characters, giving them random names and making some of them dance
* changing the locations of items/boxes/NanoKeys/datacubes around the map
* passwords and passcodes
* exp costs for skills
* option for rerolling every mission
* option for disabling the Downgrade button on the new game screen, to prevent looking ahead
* what augmentations are in each canister
* the strength and lockpick strength for doors
* the hack strength for keypads
* the strength of augmentations and skills (make sure to read their descriptions)
* the damage and firing speed of weapons (make sure to read their descriptions)
* JC's and Paul's clothes
* randomly adds "The Merchant"

## There are also settings for
* Crowd Control! Let your viewers troll you or help you! NOW PLAYABLE! https://crowdcontrol.live/guides/DeusEx
* If you want to try some of the Crowd Control features without actually streaming, you can try the "OfflineCrowdControl.py" script to randomly send Crowd Control messages to your local game! Requires Python 3.8 or above
* New Game+ - after beating the game play it again keeping your items, skills, and augs, but with increased difficulty and a new seed
* takes away 1 random augmentation, and 1 of your weapons
* takes away half your skill points and 5 random skill levels, so the player has to choose which ones to level up first
* new game modes!
* Entrance Randomization - changes what level each teleporter takes you to, but keeps it within the same mission.
* Horde Mode - fight for your life to see how long you can survive in the Paris Cathedral.
* challenge mode loadouts!
* Stick With the Prod Pure means the only weapon you get is the stun prod (hint: throw a crate straight up into the air to break it)
* Stick With the Prod Plus also allows EMP grenades, gas grenades, scramble grenades, pepper gun, and tranq darts
* Ninja JC - the only weapons allowed are throwing knives, swords, pepper spray, and grenades. You also get a Ninja Augmentation which gives you speed and stealth at the same time
* Don't Give Me the GEP Gun - bans the GEP gun
* Freeman Mode - only weapon allowed is the crowbar
* Grenades Only
* No Pistols - for people who think the pistol is OP
* Co-op when combined with the HX mod (Alpha)
* making all or some of the doors that normally require a key also lockpickable and/or destructible
* making all or some keypads hackable.
* reducing the drop rate for ammo, multitools, lockpicks, medkits, and bioelectric cells
* autosave
* making enemies respawn
* starting the game with the running speed augmentation
* optional hardcore Autosave-Only mode, no save-scumming allowed!
* autofill passwords options
* Death Markers - see where other players have died!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That made me look up this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-randomizer/downloads/half-life-randomizer

And now I have to try it. It even randomizes voice lines lol

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That made me look up this: https://www.moddb.com/mods/half-life-randomizer/downloads/half-life-randomizer

And now I have to try it. It even randomizes voice lines lol

I'd be down for Barney calmly asking if you'd wanna get a beer after work, all the while being chased by a headcrab.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
As much as I'm not a fan of roguelites i keep thinking about Nightmare Reaper. Some reviews (negative andpositive) have me worried that it's just fun for a short while before the later areas get annoying/unfun.

Considering all I wanna do is shoot AND loot, I'm only mildly confident that I'll get :20bux: of fun/longevity from it.

Anyone stuck with it beyond the honeymoon phase? Are you enjoying it at least? :ohdear:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Im still early, its repetitive but easy enough and bite sized enough still Im enjoying it, even with this crippling bug.

Im more confused someone paid money to put official art for Fur Fighter's PS2 port of all loving games into this and I hope whatever entity owns acclaims shambling corpse doesn't find out.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Morter posted:

As much as I'm not a fan of roguelites i keep thinking about Nightmare Reaper. Some reviews (negative andpositive) have me worried that it's just fun for a short while before the later areas get annoying/unfun.

Considering all I wanna do is shoot AND loot, I'm only mildly confident that I'll get :20bux: of fun/longevity from it.

Anyone stuck with it beyond the honeymoon phase? Are you enjoying it at least? :ohdear:

There's a demo so you can try it for free.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Morter posted:

I'm a fan of roguelikes and lites, so maybe not the best person to respond, but I've sunk 7 hours in already and still enjoying it a lot.
The variety of weapons is huge and they have modifiers that switch them up further still. The levels are clearly mostly procgen so come with the usual problems there, but still comes up with some interesting and varied spaces.
I've just reached chapter two, which switches things up further with new movement abilities so that's helping to keep things fresh.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Arivia posted:

There's a demo so you can try it for free.

Sorry i wasn't clear. I played and best the demo.. I enjoyed it, but I'm worried they the difficulty spike, metaprogression, or any other design flaws will make it unfun. Hence my question/emphasis on whether people STILL like it

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is 2 years old so it might've been posted here already, but this is absolutely fascinating.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Two machine guns, identical stats, one has bass-y-er audio, so players are convinced it's more powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDxiuHdR_T4

As a sound designer, I definitely get it; when I used to work for IGT as a sound designer, my work literally added a near-unquantifiable amount of 'fun' to a given slot game. It was and still is amazing to me just how much sound can affect your gameplay experience, even when everything else is the same.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

This is 2 years old so it might've been posted here already, but this is absolutely fascinating.

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Two machine guns, identical stats, one has bass-y-er audio, so players are convinced it's more powerful.

As a sound designer, I definitely get it; when I used to work for IGT as a sound designer, my work literally added a near-unquantifiable amount of 'fun' to a given slot game. It was and still is amazing to me just how much sound can affect your gameplay experience, even when everything else is the same.

You're absolutely correct. Just imagine Darkest Dungeon without Wayne June's evocative narration.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I'm really glad that Nightmare Reaper lets us skip those skill minigames cause I genuinely cannot fathom who thought that that was a good decision choice?!

Yes, let me play a dumb Mario/Pokemon game to make my ammo count 5% bigger or give me 20 more health points, great thanks.

Otherwise, this game gives me the vibes that I used to get with playing all those Doom wads with wacky weapon loadouts, just chill quick spurts of mass murder with loot.

The platforming isn't even too bad and doubly trivialized with the chainsaw grappling hook.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Deakul posted:

I'm really glad that Nightmare Reaper lets us skip those skill minigames cause I genuinely cannot fathom who thought that that was a good decision choice?!

Yes, let me play a dumb Mario/Pokemon game to make my ammo count 5% bigger or give me 20 more health points, great thanks.

Otherwise, this game gives me the vibes that I used to get with playing all those Doom wads with wacky weapon loadouts, just chill quick spurts of mass murder with loot.

The platforming isn't even too bad and doubly trivialized with the chainsaw grappling hook.

It's a cute idea but shouldn't have made it past the prototype stage.

Am I missing something or is there no way other than completing a level to get topazes for the second skill tree?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
How to acquire topazes, like how to start a new game (which was recommended to me by the game; I played early access!) sure both seem to be very unexplained.

Anyway, I'll bite. I enjoy the game play loop, the weapons, the music a lot. The issues I have are all related to the monsters, though. It's too hard to pick them apart from the background, figure out where you're being shot from, etc.. its also too hard to figure out whether a puddle of ...acid? is just gore or whether it will hurt if I touch it. Is this red speck a baby dragon or blood?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

It's a cute idea but shouldn't have made it past the prototype stage.

Am I missing something or is there no way other than completing a level to get topazes for the second skill tree?

I think if you level up your monsters (somehow) you can also sell them for money but like I just do not want to interface with this at all mechanically so I'm just taking the topaz coins for finishing for missions and calling it a life.

The game now also hardlocked on me. Good lord nightmare reaper, please stop jamming my guns and crashing.

Edit: Fixed it. The game decided it should run at fullscreen windowed 1024x768. Making it run actual fullscreen fixed it

Barudak fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 31, 2022

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I'm a nightmare reaper,
I'm a midnight creeper

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

Alright fine you jerks, I'll buy it. Cheers.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Doom is a good showcase for this; just changing the wimpy pistol sound effect to something punchier makes it feel much more powerful and fun to use. A lot of older WADs (before gameplay changes could easily be distributed) would have a few changed sound effects but no functional differences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

david_a posted:

Doom is a good showcase for this; just changing the wimpy pistol sound effect to something punchier makes it feel much more powerful and fun to use. A lot of older WADs (before gameplay changes could easily be distributed) would have a few changed sound effects but no functional differences.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the pistol sound, and even less of a fan of the chaingun sound, which is a quickly-repeated pistol sound :argh:

Bobbyyyyyyy!!