Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Out of boredom (and for WT) I decided to solo e2 on warrior. Took 19:59, but I was never in danger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Failboattootoot posted:

Has to be a combat class to level 70 for reaper. I don't remember the exact process for it because I did it a couple of months ago but I had to reset from sam down to a base class (I picked rogue) and then relevel that to 70 to make it a reaper. There should be an assign the retainer a job button somewhere, maybe under change class. I should also note that when you change the job, it resets the retainer back to level 1 so I had to level my dumb reaper nerd from 1 to... 88 or 89 I think they are now.
OK so I gotta do it on SMN but that's doable. I probably hosed it up the first time I tried... thank you goon sire, five golden mogs 4 u

e: Christ I'm an idiot! I must have put the retainer to SMN successfully once already! I guess I'm why the market board strategy is bad.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Mar 29, 2022

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Bruceski posted:

I need to check if both options give the same outfit. I assume so.
Nope, the two options for each are completely different. I like the first option better, generally speaking.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Did a Wreath of Snakes PF where the second to last person got their mount at around 14 and the last person at 28.

But we stuck together and did it! Just one more dog and I'll move on to ShB extremes.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

I just hit 89 on RDM and learned its AF weapon for Endwalker is named Wild Rose and it almost makes me wish I'd played Red Mage for most of the 6.0 story. I played PLD and SMN/SCH, so the AF5 gear ran the gamut from great (paladin, scholar) to bad (summoner, which almost had an okay set for once before they slapped butt wings on it again), but nothing had that nice full circle feeling I imagine RDM players got.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 29, 2022

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
What’s significant about that? Is it a ref to something?

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Wild rose is a recurring weapon in the series. It's also the name of a rebellion in FF2 where you say "wild rose" to NPCs as a password.

There's also a running gag in FFXIV where you can have the wol say wild rose whenever you're supposed to give a different password.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Thanks. I haven't played an FF game since the PS1 days so i've forgotten a lot of stuff like that.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I liked all of the EW AF iirc.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Mainwaring posted:

There's also a running gag in FFXIV where you can have the wol say wild rose whenever you're supposed to give a different password.

The first time you use it in FFXIV it's the legitimate passcode you're told to use the first time you go meet the Scions. After that it becomes a joke.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I always select the Wild Rose option.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like PLD a lot because of its invincibility move, self-healing, party boost options, and ability to clutch bad situations with Clemency. I am disappointed, though, that it doesn't feel like I'm really "using" or "managing" the MP resource, because I always have enough for the spell phase of my rotation and casting Holy Things outside of Req is considered unwise. So, unless I'm trying to survive loss of the healer with Clemency, I don't feel like I have a tactical "MP management" minigame going on, just a rotation.

DRK players: is it true that utilizing MP in that job is more like "resource management" (saw this stated on icyveins), which to me means context-based decisions about use and recovery as opposed to usage immediately when available or usage in a scripted rotation? I might really go for DRK as another tank choice if it's got that going on to make me feel skilled, and it seems to stand out from PLD in other ways that mean keeping it on deck for variety could be fun.

Plus: nothing more classically FF than switching between DRK and PLD!

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

so I got Sophia EX in my wondrous tails today, and it turned out I've never done it before! So I decided to learn it blind and solo.

And after this, I will never need to do it again.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SuperKlaus posted:

DRK players: is it true that utilizing MP in that job is more like "resource management" (saw this stated on icyveins), which to me means context-based decisions about use and recovery as opposed to usage immediately when available or usage in a scripted rotation?

Only a little bit. You only really have two things that use your MP as DRK - Edge of Shadow, an oGCD damage skill, and The Blackest Night, a defensive barrier that if broken gives you a free Edge. They both cost the same - 3000mp.

You'll hold enough MP to TBN when required, and you'll save MP for Edge spam during burst windows, but it's not a huge balancing act.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SuperKlaus posted:

I like PLD a lot because of its invincibility move, self-healing, party boost options, and ability to clutch bad situations with Clemency. I am disappointed, though, that it doesn't feel like I'm really "using" or "managing" the MP resource, because I always have enough for the spell phase of my rotation and casting Holy Things outside of Req is considered unwise. So, unless I'm trying to survive loss of the healer with Clemency, I don't feel like I have a tactical "MP management" minigame going on, just a rotation.

DRK players: is it true that utilizing MP in that job is more like "resource management" (saw this stated on icyveins), which to me means context-based decisions about use and recovery as opposed to usage immediately when available or usage in a scripted rotation? I might really go for DRK as another tank choice if it's got that going on to make me feel skilled, and it seems to stand out from PLD in other ways that mean keeping it on deck for variety could be fun.

Kind of? You can blow all your MP at once for a big damage spike, but mostly it boils down to using the big hit oGCDs often enough to keep your damage buff active but not so often that you don't have enough MP for TBN when you need it. Using TBN correctly also gives you a free oGCD hit so there's no reason not to use it when it's relevant.

The main downsides of DRK is that the main rotation is pretty boring, other tanks got cool things this expansion that have stolen some thunder from TBN's Best Tank Button status, and they're relatively squishy between the way Living Dead works and fishing for TBN procs can encourage the degenerate behavior of "doesn't use defense cooldowns".

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
For DRK the choice is between using your mana for an attack or a damage shield. If the shield is fully broken by damage you get to make the mana based attack for free, so if you use it well you don't lose potential damage from shielding. The other part of it is managing your consumption so you don't accidentally cap your mana in your burst phase that regens mana and lets you do attacks for free.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

SuperKlaus posted:

No, not really. It's pretty much sit on 3000 mp for the blackest night which you will use on cd in trash and on tankbusters on bosses.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Or just about any roomwide attack; between that and standard attacks right after, odds are pretty decent that you’ll pop the shield.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Pros use TBN on the guy who has a few stacks of Vulnerability.

Masters are the guy with Vuln stacks.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Regalingualius posted:

Pros use TBN on the guy who has a few stacks of Vulnerability.

Yeah but you have to do your class quest to get TBN

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Valentin posted:

so I got Sophia EX in my wondrous tails today, and it turned out I've never done it before! So I decided to learn it blind and solo.

And after this, I will never need to do it again.

Jesus you just burned like three years of luck

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I hate that they reduced edge of shadow to 1 second cd because occasionally my mouse doublebounces and I vent 6000 mana on doing two slices back to back.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
What’s gonna be the best time to try and score a house in an existing development? Do old plots get lotteried as well when someone moves out? I don’t really want to live in Ishgard.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The lottery system will exist for the current housing zones as well. They have the option to enable it or leave it on bot rush on a ward by ward basis, but they haven't detailed those plans yet.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

There will be a large second lottery of cleared plots from all the people who relocated to ishgard, and maybe even a noteable third round after that, just make sure you canvass those thoroughly to try to find something with relatively few entrants. There's not really a lot else you can do

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

kitten emergency posted:

What’s gonna be the best time to try and score a house in an existing development? Do old plots get lotteried as well when someone moves out? I don’t really want to live in Ishgard.

There are likely to be a few plots open in the first window of 6.1 since auto-demolition will be resuming, so check on those on the past day the window is open. After that, there will be a wave of vacant plots from people who managed to relocate, then a much smaller one after people relocate during the second wave, and then after that you’ll have to keep a lookout for whatever pops up.

For more information on how the lotteries work, see the announcement post: https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/61b708329f3be994a492e5d75b796b3f56abbd28

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I should remember this since it's how I got my house, but when auto-demolish turns back on will everyone's 45-day timers start at that point or will it immediately demolish ones that haven't been poked recently?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Timers will start.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

So, in the unlikely event I actually get a house, what do I need to have prepared to build it? Is there a guide in terms of what you need for housing items? I've been desynthing or selling the random wall/roof items I've gotten through ventures, but I don't want to get blindsided if the miracle happens.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Antivehicular posted:

So, in the unlikely event I actually get a house, what do I need to have prepared to build it? Is there a guide in terms of what you need for housing items? I've been desynthing or selling the random wall/roof items I've gotten through ventures, but I don't want to get blindsided if the miracle happens.

500k to get the house down. The rest is up to you and what you want? There's some stuff that comes from vendors in the housing districts but most is made by crafters/bought from the MB.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Antivehicular posted:

the three most important resources for a budding XIV home decorator are

https://housingsnap.com/ - inspiration
https://en.ff14housing.com/ - previews
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zYM0oTl-skbdc7xL7mNsFPE18SwGciicdV7Jtkm2i6A - glitches, item combos and best practices

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You can also preview the appearance of any furniture item in-game through the housing menu, if you can't tell from pictures whether it would look good in your setup.

Don't fret too much about rare and expensive furniture though. I've seen some really amazing and creative houses built entirely out of items you can buy from the housing zone vendors for a handful of gil.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

Jesus you just burned like three years of luck

It's got like a 20% drop chance, you're running real low on luck if that's 3 years worth

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Bruceski posted:

I should remember this since it's how I got my house, but when auto-demolish turns back on will everyone's 45-day timers start at that point or will it immediately demolish ones that haven't been poked recently?

It's more technically accurate to say they'll resume. If anyone entered their house during the freeze, they'll start at 45 days, but if they haven't since before the freeze, then it'll start at its previous value. Expect a reduced but non-zero amount of demolitions over the course of the next 45 days followed by a bunch of plots going up for sale simultaneously.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

blastron posted:

There are likely to be a few plots open in the first window of 6.1 since auto-demolition will be resuming, so check on those on the past day the window is open.

Has this been announced anywhere? I thought they extended the auto-demo pause due to the Ukraine situation.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
This just popped up on Eorzea Collection and I kind of love this account's commitment to the cosplay bit (there are some really good ones if you scroll down) but I think they're kind of reaching with this one.

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/glamour/153256/i-am-error-zelda2-cosplay

The background is almost flawless, however. Gotta give 'em that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

It would be amazing if you could get some kind of locked perspective options in housing to make like certain theme things like that work. Wouldn't make much sense at all for this game but.... I can dream.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy

HackensackBackpack posted:

This just popped up on Eorzea Collection and I kind of love this account's commitment to the cosplay bit (there are some really good ones if you scroll down) but I think they're kind of reaching with this one.

https://ffxiv.eorzeacollection.com/glamour/153256/i-am-error-zelda2-cosplay

The background is almost flawless, however. Gotta give 'em that.

There are some absolute killers here. The Mask and Spaceballs are some memorable mentions.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

TopHatGenius posted:

There are some absolute killers here. The Mask and Spaceballs are some memorable mentions.

No love for Tien and Chiaotzu, M Bison, or Dread Pirate Roberts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

parasyte posted:

Has this been announced anywhere? I thought they extended the auto-demo pause due to the Ukraine situation.

Oh, you're absolutely correct: auto-demolition has been paused indefinitely as of last announcement. My bad, I'd baselessly assumed it would end with 6.1.