Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I have a question about capturing, can some monsters just not be captured? Or does the skill matter? Because I'll occasionally throw my little windy thing at something that's almost dead and it'll just hit to no effect. My capture level is 10 and I still can't catch the cerberus to mug it for its drops. And leaping off from that; I'm guessing you can't tame that thing either?

Some monsters cannot be tamed, but I’m pretty sure all can be stolen from. For bosses like a Cerberus you have to pay attention to the icon when you lock on to them via R3. If it is an open circle you can cast seal for a chance to seal them and get an item. However, it will normally have a padlock icon in the center and they generally only lose that when doing certain abilities.

Cerberus can be tamed with its claw or you can just use cake. The first boss can be tamed with its bell drop. Also you can steal from a boss and teleport back to its area to restart the fight and get more chances to steal from it again.

Generally speaking 99% of monsters can be tamed with few exceptions for non bosses (no giant wooly for you). A good portion of bosses can be tamed as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Maguoob posted:

Some monsters cannot be tamed, but I’m pretty sure all can be stolen from. For bosses like a Cerberus you have to pay attention to the icon when you lock on to them via R3. If it is an open circle you can cast seal for a chance to seal them and get an item. However, it will normally have a padlock icon in the center and they generally only lose that when doing certain abilities.

Cerberus can be tamed with its claw or you can just use cake. The first boss can be tamed with its bell drop. Also you can steal from a boss and teleport back to its area to restart the fight and get more chances to steal from it again.

Generally speaking 99% of monsters can be tamed with few exceptions for non bosses (no giant wooly for you). A good portion of bosses can be tamed as well.

Oh. Oh.

I have a few dungeons to revisit then. Thank you for this information!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Maguoob posted:

Oh my god that's what the lock icon means?! Okay this is going to make things so much easier now. Thank you! No giant wooly makes me sad though.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012
I guess another tip worth mentioning. Try and get a level 10 turnip seed as soon as you can. Once you get your crafting and forging to 50 (depending on the item) you can start to get the Total Item Level bonuses. While technically you don’t need the seeds and can use any level 10 item, seeds are cheap and easier to obtain.

An example of how this works is this:
  • Get to level 50 forging skill.
  • Craft a broadsword with a level 10 ore + 5 more level 10 items during its creation.
  • You now have a Broadsword with 60 item levels and a slight bonus to its atk.
  • Upgrade the broadsword 9 times with level 10 items.
  • Congratulations, you now have a broadsword with 150 total item levels and it receives a 700 atk bonus.

It gets deeper with wanting to use specific upgrades in a specific order to make absurd equipment. Defensive items get a 350 def bonus, but you might have to put in more effort to find a level 10 material to make them.

There is also an item difficulty bonus that is much larger, but that is a lot more effort as well.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Maguoob posted:

Generally speaking 99% of monsters can be tamed with few exceptions for non bosses (no giant wooly for you).
I am so mad about this.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I am so mad about this.

Giant chickens were my biggest regret in RF4. They make getting eggs a hidden object game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Jimlit posted:

Giant chickens were my biggest regret in RF4. They make getting eggs a hidden object game.

It was especially maddening as for some reason giant chickens took much longer to start producing large eggs compared to normal sized ones. At least make them lay large eggs by default you clowns :colbert:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Maguoob posted:

I guess another tip worth mentioning. Try and get a level 10 turnip seed as soon as you can. Once you get your crafting and forging to 50 (depending on the item) you can start to get the Total Item Level bonuses. While technically you don’t need the seeds and can use any level 10 item, seeds are cheap and easier to obtain.

An example of how this works is this:
  • Get to level 50 forging skill.
  • Craft a broadsword with a level 10 ore + 5 more level 10 items during its creation.
  • You now have a Broadsword with 60 item levels and a slight bonus to its atk.
  • Upgrade the broadsword 9 times with level 10 items.
  • Congratulations, you now have a broadsword with 150 total item levels and it receives a 700 atk bonus.

It gets deeper with wanting to use specific upgrades in a specific order to make absurd equipment. Defensive items get a 350 def bonus, but you might have to put in more effort to find a level 10 material to make them.

There is also an item difficulty bonus that is much larger, but that is a lot more effort as well.

You can also do this with upgraded items like broadwords. You can level up forging by crafting broadswords and upgrading them to level 10 with crappy turnip seeds, then once you hit 50 forging you turn around and use one level 10 iron and 14 level 10 broadswords to make one super broadsword that is basically endgame quality.

I don't recommend this for new players though - it makes every dungeon a cakewalk and you no longer have any interest in getting gear upgrades as you progress.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
One stupid trick I saw in this video to placing your furniture closer together: destroy your furniture that’s causing the collision then teleport to reload it.

https://youtu.be/qZoF7Y33DRw

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For capturing bosses, this is what worked for me:

Zone in, smack the boss until its phase transition, then do an uncharged ZL to syeal its item. Reload the zone and repeat till you have a stack

Then, make a save. You can recruit monsters without taming them first, which is important for bosses since they're untamable. Brush the boss 15 times (until music notes stop appearing over its head) and then start feeding them their own drops. For the first boss, with a stack of items and 12 capture level, it took me about five tries to get it.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
After upgrading the Crystalabra the guy told me he could upgrade magic spells now, but I can't actually figure out how to do this. Did I misread or am I missing something?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

CubeTheory posted:

After upgrading the Crystalabra the guy told me he could upgrade magic spells now, but I can't actually figure out how to do this. Did I misread or am I missing something?

Hand him the spell while he's working. Easiest way is to go to the menu where you can toggle what's available in the L pocket and make sure that your rune abilities are accessible, then just cycle through them and hand them over one at a time to be upgraded. I'm not sure what all is required, but as far as I've gotten, the upgrades need:

500g, 3000g, Sapphire, Platinum, Orichalcum

Edit: This only works for rune abilities that are classified as magic. This does include the greeting spell, but does not include the abilities that boost pets or the weapon abilities. On the other hand, I think it's only the spells that actually get a damage upgrade when upgraded anyway, so it doesn't make much difference.

Also, no, I have no idea why you'd bother to upgrade the greeting spell other than for a laugh.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I'll be honest that I went through the entirety of RF4 thinking that micromanaging the health of my soil sounded like too much of a pain to bother with and was kind of planning to do so again this time. I guess it's not too bad if I just grind my chemistry level high enough to make my own chems and dedicate one of my farm dragons to flowers. I have no idea if that's actually profitable compared to just running the soil ragged doing nothing but cash crops though.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I'll be honest that I went through the entirety of RF4 thinking that micromanaging the health of my soil sounded like too much of a pain to bother with and was kind of planning to do so again this time. I guess it's not too bad if I just grind my chemistry level high enough to make my own chems and dedicate one of my farm dragons to flowers. I have no idea if that's actually profitable compared to just running the soil ragged doing nothing but cash crops though.

So funny story here, you actually can get by without chems if you use the crystals that Heinz sells for 50,000 (or that you can find). Spending 5 fire crystals (250,000g) gives every single plot of land on a farm dragon an extra 2.0x speed multiplier. 3 green crystals is I think maximum HP/defense for typhoons (not sure about health), one of the yellow ones gives more crops per harvest, and the last one gives you more fields permanently, but can only be used a limited number of times per farm dragon.

Even more amusing, if you somehow manage to get a huge chunk of cash early in the game by getting the restaurant lady to throw extremely expensive dishes at you (and miss!), then you can finance this in early Spring to get your crops going super quickly.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dang I wish the game said anything anywhere about what feeding crystals to dragons did

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I also don't think the game told me anywhere that you get the crystal fragments to trade with heinz by using the lockdown move on ordinary mobs. Heck, I don't even remember it telling me that doing that steals items lol

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The menu for feeding crystals to a dragon tells you what each option does. There’s also a tutorial that explains the item stealing stuff, although to be fair I think it’s just one of those popups early on so it’s easy to forget with all the new stuff being introduced.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Honestly the worst part of rf4 farming was that if you wanted a truly maxed out field you had to use fruit trees and free farming boots to cover everything. Soil health was at least easy to deal with by buying stacks of corn.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This feels like a game I will take slowly.

It's a deliberate choice while info trickles in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I beelined the plot for the most part until I think the last romanceable character joined the town Ludmila but now I plan to take it slow.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Do you have to harvest all four Starfall crops for the "harvest all non-golden veggies" quest? I haven't harvested everything yet either way but I'm making sure.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
One more weird trick: if you take a companion with you, there are a couple of spots on the world map that can spawn tree seeds once a day. You can get fruit trees early this way.

And one problem I ran into - I couldn’t get the cooking licenses because I hadn’t eaten at the restaurant yet.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Yeah, I read that on gamefaqs. In practice, I had to just get to the restaurant shop screen to get them to show up as directives. Since the restaurant only opens at noon, I probably would've taken a long time to do it on my own.

Where are those fruit trees? Really would like apples and oranges so i can make sugar and salt type things.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

PBnJamo posted:

Yeah, I read that on gamefaqs. In practice, I had to just get to the restaurant shop screen to get them to show up as directives. Since the restaurant only opens at noon, I probably would've taken a long time to do it on my own.

Where are those fruit trees? Really would like apples and oranges so i can make sugar and salt type things.

Head out the east gate, go straight east, and you'll soon see a short deadend path on the right. The stump there can have seeds if you have a companion. There's also a potential seed spot in the volcanic region under the tree at the entrance of the hot spring with the two naked woolies in it. It's the tree directly to the right of the entrance to the water.

Both spots might or might not have a seed each day, and if they do, it's random between Twinkle, Grape, Apple, and Orange.

There are also apple and orange trees growing east of the east town gate. Oranges are in a tree in the clearing before going into that stump area mentioned above. The apple ones are along the path if you take the southeast road, just before going uphill after the clearing. Online guides probably give better directions than this.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

PBnJamo posted:

First, you need an ally with you to spot hidden items or the SEED crest equipped that lets you spot hidden items. When you or your ally are in range of one, a little chest icon pops up adjacent to the health bar. You cannot pick up hidden items without this.

The first tree spawn point is to the east of town - there's a stump next to a sign that talks about bamboo shoots. Tree seeds can randomly spawn there - there's a chance that there will either be a branch or one of the four tree seeds. If you see nothing, you can reload and try again until you see something spawn, but in my experience once you see something spawn, the only way to change what spawns there is to come back tomorrow (i.e. if a branch or the wrong tree seed spawns, you can't just reload).

The second tree spawn point follows everything as above, but this time you need to go north of town to the jungle area. Go through the little canyon, go north a bit, and you should see a hot spring area surrounded by rocks. If the ground turns black, you've gone too far north. While facing the opening of the hot spring, just to the right of the opening is a tree that has a chance to spawn tree seeds in the same manner as the spot above.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know accessory inheritance works similarly in 5 as in 4, but I also recall that in 4 some stuff just didn't inherit. Can I do the "drop rate up" ring into the "skill exp gained up" pendant, or vice versa, or does that not work either way because they're listed effects rather than stat bonuses?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I know accessory inheritance works similarly in 5 as in 4, but I also recall that in 4 some stuff just didn't inherit. Can I do the "drop rate up" ring into the "skill exp gained up" pendant, or vice versa, or does that not work either way because they're listed effects rather than stat bonuses?

No, it should work like that as long as you are using accessories with accessories and as part of the recipe. As I recall there is a chance it doesn't inherit and you do need the forge to be upgraded to verify it inherited properly.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

LostRook posted:

No, it should work like that as long as you are using accessories with accessories and as part of the recipe. As I recall there is a chance it doesn't inherit and you do need the forge to be upgraded to verify it inherited properly.
Right, I've managed single inheritance (and verified at the forge), but putting two accessories in at once only inherits one. Apparently you might be able to chain them? Like do A into B and then B into C and have A's ability in C? If someone could confirm or deny that it'd be aces.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Hi. Stardew thread sent me here...

I started playing Rune Factory 4 awhile ago, but put it down because I got lost. With the release of RF5, I thought I would take a peek and see where I left off.

Turns out the answer is, deep in a volcano dungeon at around sunset, getting swarmed by aggressive enemies that knocked me around until I fainted and wound up back at the hospital in town minus most of my money.

Well. That's fun. I have no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I had two spells equipped: a water jet thing and a small fireball that of course did no damage against most of the enemies in a volcano. I also had a set of twin swords or daggers that seemed to do a decent job.

I just don't think I can get any further at the moment, and I'm tempted to just start over. :( Any general advice on how to avoid getting into such a situation in the future, or how to get out of the one I'm in?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
RF4 is more fun on easy mode, imo

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

Hi. Stardew thread sent me here...

I started playing Rune Factory 4 awhile ago, but put it down because I got lost. With the release of RF5, I thought I would take a peek and see where I left off.

Turns out the answer is, deep in a volcano dungeon at around sunset, getting swarmed by aggressive enemies that knocked me around until I fainted and wound up back at the hospital in town minus most of my money.

Well. That's fun. I have no idea where I was going or what I was doing. I had two spells equipped: a water jet thing and a small fireball that of course did no damage against most of the enemies in a volcano. I also had a set of twin swords or daggers that seemed to do a decent job.

I just don't think I can get any further at the moment, and I'm tempted to just start over. :( Any general advice on how to avoid getting into such a situation in the future, or how to get out of the one I'm in?

Well, you can always just teleport home (ZR, if I remember correctly). Nothing in the game is missable, so you can relax, farm, make friends, and work on your forging/crafting skill to make better equipment.

There are ways to absolutely shatter the game balance, but assuming that you don't want to do those, the best thing is to just take it easy and focus on farming for a bit. You can buy recipe bread from the restaurant to learn new recipes, and those should unlock better weapons that you can craft, better armor you can craft, etc.

You can also bring villagers with you when you're going into dungeons, or you can tame monsters and bring them with you instead.

It's up to you if you want to restart; you'll get all the requests again, which will give you good tutorials on how to do things, but where you're at is perfectly salvageable. There's no need to rush the story quests unless you want to.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I found RF4 a lot more fun on hard, mostly because there's a million different mechanics to engage with and all of them end up making you more powerful, so the boosts to enemy strength made powering up feel more meaningful.

If you're ever having trouble in Rune Factory you can always just take a break and farm/craft for a while. Your stats go up from doing anything so you'll come back to the fight stronger even if you don't fight anything in the meantime. One Weird Trick that I found for RF4 (which seems to work in 5 as well) is to tame a fairy - they're a pretty strong magical attacker, and they produce fairy dust, which you can give to a monster to raise their magic attack. You can just give the fairy your free fairy dust every day, and before long you'll end up with a pet that can probably do twice the damage you do, at range and in an aoe.

It's possible to minmax your monsters much, much harder, but the fairy thing is a good low effort/high reward sidekick that can carry you through a lot.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rune Factory 4 isn't very difficult, and then it gets a little difficult, and that's when you should go absolutely ham on weapon/armor/accessory crafting.

Some of the final areas are more resource eaters than truly difficult, but you can craft your way through a ton of the difficulty.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

It's worth noting that the RF games seem to mostly work off of damage = attack - defense (with a few wrinkles here or there), so small number increases can make a huge difference. I think that's also how easy/normal/hard work as well; they're mostly just adjusting enemy levels, which in turn adjusts enemy stats.

If you know the crafting system, you can make completely busted equipment by the end of the first or second week. If you don't know the crafting system you can sit back and enjoy making everything in between and enjoying the incremental upgrades. I recommend doing the latter until you've finished at least one of the RF games, and then doing the former if/when you feel like it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dirk the Average posted:

It's worth noting that the RF games seem to mostly work off of damage = attack - defense (with a few wrinkles here or there), so small number increases can make a huge difference. I think that's also how easy/normal/hard work as well; they're mostly just adjusting enemy levels, which in turn adjusts enemy stats.
And also that it ramps up hard in some dungeons. If you've ever played something like the Ys games, where you go from dealing like 2 damage a hit to like 200 within four levels or so as you hit the "expected" level for a boss, it's like that - being overwhelmed in a new area is totally normal! Failure is part of the experience.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Ah, ok, so it's more like Stardew where nothing is really permanently missable and I should just chill.

That is really helpful to know. Maybe I'll just bail on the dungeon and try to remember how to tame monsters. That fairy thing sounds really helpful.

Thanks, all. I was feeling frustrated, but it sounds like I'm not as boned as I thought I was. :) I will be back if I have more stupid questions.

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
After playing through it a few times, one of my favourite things to do in RF4 was to unlock the Sharence Maze early (like, level 30 or something early) and just run through it looking for treasure chests, because sometimes I'd find a bonkers powerful endgame weapon and just start tearing poo poo up before I even hit the 3rd dungeon.

I don't recommend this for your first couple of playthroughs.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Silver Falcon posted:

That is really helpful to know. Maybe I'll just bail on the dungeon and try to remember how to tame monsters. That fairy thing sounds really helpful.
Brush them repeatedly (if you have the defense to survive doing so, not mandatory but makes the next step easier), then throw literally any item at them until they don't give you a skull back. You can throw items they like better, but for all non-boss enemies you can literally just do green grass/medicinal herbs/branches/rocks/whatever

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It is wild to me that the RF5 bachelors vary from boy detective that seems a few years younger than you all the way to grown rear end man who owns a spa; but the bachelorettes are all around your character’s age.

It is criminal that Elsje isn’t a marriage candidate.

Anyway as for gameplay I am currently mainlining the story and it is kind of funny how dual blades and fists are far and away better than most other weapon classes. Just making GBS threads out damage and stunlocking enemies. I’m taking huge damage on hits and need to focus on crafting for a bit though because I need better armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
someone at xseed thinks people don't want to marry moms. it's the only explanation for misasagi and simone

that person is a lunatic