Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sad question
May 30, 2020

When do you kill children for House?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sad question posted:

When do you kill children for House?

Brotherhood Bunker.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's like eight children in NV and none are in the bunker

sad question
May 30, 2020

I replayed NV recently and don't recall any children there.

tgacon
Mar 22, 2009

sad question posted:

I replayed NV recently and don't recall any children there.

They fuckin

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
How old are the idiot initiates supposed to be?

e;
"Waaa we lost a laser pistol and if we don't get it back were gonna be in trouble!"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

tgacon posted:

They fuckin

Veronica says how she has a duty to also despite being gay and all. Kinda cringe, did Avellone write that?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Old enough to be targetable in vats

sad question
May 30, 2020

MariusLecter posted:

How old are the idiot initiates supposed to be?

e;
"Waaa we lost a laser pistol and if we don't get it back were gonna be in trouble!"

How old do you think large portion of legionnaires is, given that their camp has literal children being trained

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

MariusLecter posted:

Veronica says how she has a duty to also despite being gay and all. Kinda cringe, did Avellone write that?

It seems to make sense that the Brotherhood would prefer that their women have kids, but this could also be Veronica's interpretation of why forces saw fit to separate her and Christine - unknowing that it was actually Elijah interested in her use as a protege to him rather than higher-ups trying to ensure that all their women are baby-factories.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

IIRC, the out-of-game explanation is that Come Fly With Me was one of the first quests they wrote and designed, with Novac being the first area on the map, so Chris was written before the backstory of Vault 34 was completely nailed down—and then later, when they were designing Vault 34, they either didn't think or didn't have time to go back and change Chris' dialogue to better reflect the nature of the Vault as it appears in the game.

As to the rest of it... yeah, it's kind of a mess. I really do like that little bit of reactivity with the family showing up in Aerotech Office Park, but on the whole having any survivors outside of the Boomers doesn't fit at all with the current state of the Vault.

Not enough time to change things is probably the reason. Voice acting is done pretty early in game development as far as I know, and while it's been surpassed by orders of magnitude since, IIRC New Vegas had the most voice acting of any game ever made when it came out.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

The biggest problem with House is that he requires a somewhat functional NCR to, effectively, fund his plans. If you're able to ensure that NCR is somewhat functional - i.e. not a waterless, farmless desert, ground to dust under the unreasonable demands of the Brahmin Barons, etc - then why not just go all out NCR?

You can show House your golf swing and still get NCR support, you can't give Crocker an early retirement and still keep House's plan running. House is a poor Independent ending, if you can take Old World Blues' Good Karma ending as a possible/reasonable canon. No need for Cyborg Hughes-Musk when Cyborg Postman/woman will do.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

LashLightning posted:

You can show House your golf swing and still get NCR support, you can't give Crocker an early retirement and still keep House's plan running. House is a poor Independent ending, if you can take Old World Blues' Good Karma ending as a possible/reasonable canon. No need for Cyborg Hughes-Musk when Cyborg Postman/woman will do.

I trust I will do a good job. I have conferred with myself, and I agree.

[Shot of own brain in a jar with a thumbs-up drawn onto the glass with a marker]

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The NCR does take some pretty horrendous losses in the Mojave campaign. 1000 casualties per year is a very bad number in the post apocalypse where your nation has a population of maybe a few million at most. And that's not counting the huge losses they took taking Helios One from the Brotherhood or the Divide casualties.

The Mojave expansion has been the toughest theater the NCR army has fought in since the days battling the Enclave because the scale has been so much larger than before.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Okay I picked my ending thank you thread

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

MariusLecter posted:

Brotherhood Bunker.

When you blow up the bunker there's a countdown and pounding alarms, presumably they evacuate the children first

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That's honestly where my cooperating with House always comes to an end.

House: Go kill the Brotherhood in the bunker.

Me: The *entire* Brotherhood, that's kind of sus.

House: GET HIM MY ROBOTS

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

2house2fly posted:

When you blow up the bunker there's a countdown and pounding alarms, presumably they evacuate the children first

I don't think anyone has a coordinated evacuation when the average Brotherhood Bunker Buster plan is 1) kill everyone you see to reach the console because lol these guys are my enemies this playthrough or 2) enjoy neutrality for as long as possible and sneak to the console to turn the self destruct on and then sprint to the exit tanking a few laser shots.

In 1 all the off screen children are probably hiding under their beds and in 2 anyone in the Brotherhood won't figure out what is going on in the gracious two minutes you've given them.

sad question
May 30, 2020

House is weird old man with an attached tube that sucks him off, that's reason enough to reject him.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sad question posted:

House is weird old man with an attached tube that sucks him off

#lifegoals

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'd side with House more often if he was less of a prick. Dude has really bad people skills for a successful buisnessman.

When people say the NCR needs to lose in the Mojave to blunt its expansionist streak, is that really the case? The way past conflicts are perceived is usually more up to how it gets presented then any connection to facts on the ground; what's to stop Oliver and co. going home and writing a bunch of books about how they got stabbed in the back by the cowards in congress who wouldn't let them drop napalm on the strip, and that the military needs even more funding to prevent that humiliation from happening again? The post-war political consensus would be up for contention rather than irrevocably defined by either winning or losing.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 29, 2022

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The House route is the only achievement I have left because it's such a bad route to me. I didn't like Legion either but I just kinda rushed through that playthrough and ended it very early. I'd want a House playthrough to be pretty thorough. Maybe next playthrough.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

That's honestly where my cooperating with House always comes to an end.

House: Go kill the Brotherhood in the bunker.

Me: The *entire* Brotherhood, that's kind of sus.

House: GET HIM MY ROBOTS

Two of my favorite exchanges with Caesar and House are their respective dismissals of the BoS.

House: "The world has no use for emotionally unstable techno-fetishists."

Caesar: ""The worst impulses of mankind, concentrated in one insane, backward tribe."

Nice of the writers to make it so clear that our two geniuses have zero self-awareness. I suspect it comes from decades of never being told no.

That's somethingHouse aligned folks like to bring up, a Good Karma Courier can soften House because he respects your viewpoints. I never bought it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 29, 2022

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The ending slides outright say that your karma affects how he rules

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Brotherhood of Steel as it is in New Vegas is a dead end, and all it really knows how to do is attack anyone with advanced technology in their holy mission to keep the world in blissful ignorance.

I think Veronica even mentions that they have breeding programs to make sure to perpetuate their numbers while avoiding incest, which would be a major concern as a small, insular cult incapable of meaningfully interacting with the outside world that keeps on getting into big fights where a lot of members die.

NikkolasKing posted:

That's somethingHouse aligned folks like to bring up, a Good Karma Courier can soften House because he respects your viewpoints. I never bought it.

He's pretty openly apathetic and gives you a lot of latitude for dealing with any of the factions he sends you to deal with (aside from the faction that is sworn to murder him for existing). It makes a lot of sense that he would continue to delegate a lot to the courier, especially if he shifts his focus to tech projects like fixing the dam or re-industrializing after the political/economic situation is secured.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Vagabong posted:

I'd side with House more often if he was less of a prick.

Also true of: everyone else in the entire Mojave

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

2house2fly posted:

The ending slides outright say that your karma affects how he rules

He was also planning on totally filling in the vault until Sarah came up with the hotel plan. So even discounting the ending he's obviously willing to listen to others if they come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gaius Marius posted:

He was also planning on totally filling in the vault until Sarah came up with the hotel plan. So even discounting the ending he's obviously willing to listen to others if they come up with a mutually beneficial arrangement

Only half fill the vault with concrete! Balanced as all things should be.

e;
More seriously, he will listen to Capitalist ideas.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

NikkolasKing posted:

Two of my favorite exchanges with Caesar and House are their respective dismissals of the BoS.

House: "The world has no use for emotionally unstable techno-fetishists."

Caesar: ""The worst impulses of mankind, concentrated in one insane, backward tribe."

Nice of the writers to make it so clear that our two geniuses have zero self-awareness. I suspect it comes from decades of never being told no.

House is lying about why he wants to destroy the BoS. Other lines from Yes Man indicate that the actual reason House wants the BoS gone is that his calculations indicate they would represent the biggest threat to him once he takes over.

A difficulty and strength of all of NV is that there's enough ambiguity (and a lot of cut content) that folks fill in the gaps with their intuitions. It makes the game appealing to project your beliefs onto, but it's also the source of the gaps in reasoning that lead to these cyclic arguments (and this very old thread). House is one of the characters/factions that suffers most from the cut content, especially coupled with how his goals and ideology are more hidden than other leaders. It's also just a weird fundamental element of the backstory that House is (despite now being trapped in a tube) one of the most absurdly competent individuals in the franchise. If he gets a House ending, he could feasibly actually accomplish his Elon Musk goals in a way that the NCR and Legion won't.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 29, 2022

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

old thread blues

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

House is lying about why he wants to destroy the BoS. Other lines from Yes Man indicate that the actual reason House wants the BoS gone is that his calculations indicate they would represent the biggest threat to him once he takes over.
House himself is clear about that when he gives you the assignment.

quote:

Given the Brotherhood's fanatical views on technology, they can be counted on to oppose my regime.

And in the endings where the Mojave chapter survive, they end up basically being lovely raiders who shake down travelling people for any loose tech they might have in their pockets. So House isn't wrong about that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think Veronica even mentions that they have breeding programs to make sure to perpetuate their numbers while avoiding incest, which would be a major concern as a small, insular cult incapable of meaningfully interacting with the outside world that keeps on getting into big fights where a lot of members die.

Not breeding programs, just heavy social stigma that encourages members to marry and have kids. And she mentions it's not the whole organization, just some of the members, but it's a tolerated attitude.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Raygereio posted:

House himself is clear about that when he gives you the assignment.

And in the endings where the Mojave chapter survive, they end up basically being lovely raiders who shake down travelling people for any loose tech they might have in their pockets. So House isn't wrong about that.

Actually if you get them allied with the NCR and hand the bear a win they just get deputized to patrol the highway and are perfectly fine

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You just keep being you!

Raygereio posted:

:ffg: "A combination catheter/jerk-off machine is too dangerous for none-Brotherhood hands!"

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

I guess they demand all the salvaged power armor back from the NCR but honestly that's doing those poor fucks wearing it a favor, that poo poo sucks

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Psycho Landlord posted:

Actually if you get them allied with the NCR and hand the bear a win they just get deputized to patrol the highway and are perfectly fine
It's not explicitly mentioned in that particular slide.

But I think it's kind of silly of the game to expect us to pretend that in that ending the Brotherhood somehow ends up being different. I'd accept it if there was a quest, story beat, or anything in the game that would show the BoS starting to change. But there isn't, so sure: They're "patrolling". :shrug:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I for one am glad the technofascist cops are keeping are highways safe

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Starting to think that the faction whose plotline revolves around them being completely incapable of changing aren't going to change

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

They only "change" because they're aware the NCR can kick their asses and has before. It's not a case of woo sudden change of heart, it's adhering to rules that their continued existence is predicated on. Not really a difficult concept here guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Gaius Marius posted:

Imagine your president of the most powerful post apocalyptic state and you're facing a food shortage in the future. Do you A. Reduce reliance on brahmin ranching and in turn curb the undue influence of bad actors like heck Gunderson et all or B. Invade a loving desert

The Colorado River is one of the most important waterways in North America. Securing the Hoover Dam and the water of Lake Mead is arguably one of the smartest and most important strategic decisions the NCR can make, and it's always weird to see it blown off as a pointless boondoggle.