Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Everybody should have something against panel shows, they are universally garbage*, and they only exist because it's the absolute lowest ratio of production cost to minutes of content you can get before you just start playing unedited stock video clips with no audio

*except that one with all the british comedians that you, the reader of this post, like to watch on youtube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Frecter Tanbe: "No one will hire me, it's systemic anti-emo discrimination, rife in Japan. A secretary from the last company I applied for phoned me a week after the interview to tell me I hadn't got the job, but she worded it 'Go cry, emo kid!' I kind of gave up after that, after crying a long time."

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

BigBadSteve posted:

Frecter Tanbe: "No one will hire me, it's systemic anti-emo discrimination, rife in Japan. A secretary from the last company I applied for phoned me a week after the interview to tell me I hadn't got the job, but she worded it 'Go cry, emo kid!' I kind of gave up after that, after crying a long time."

So that's why he has a teardrop tattoo. I thought he killed someone.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Crazyweasel posted:

Lol NEET author really has something against panel tv shows eh?

How many years separate this arc in Part Timer with, let’s say, the finale of the Enami arc?

Seven years or so? The publication date is in the bottom left of every panel.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

She might be a reference to some real person, but I'm not sure.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
I think she's supposed to be a reference to Matsuko Deluxe

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

God drat, what a cliffhanger.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Am I, too, a regular old man?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The unbridled ambition of working in a ramen shop.

Vinny Possum
Sep 21, 2015

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I love this stupid comic.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

I thought "pizza" was some stray thought she had for comic effect, but it's just another insult:
https://jisho.org/search/%E3%83%94%E3%82%B6

This is a fun panel, so here's the original in Japanese in case you want to learn some insults:

Brother Make posted:

She might be a reference to some real person, but I'm not sure.

Rabid Boar posted:

I think she's supposed to be a reference to Matsuko Deluxe

Ah yes, that seems likely!

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The unbridled ambition of working in a ramen shop.

Hmm... maybe I should have translated 野心, yashin as "passion" instead of "ambition". Still, lol.

I'm not sure I would have gone through the trouble of finding such similar looking fonts. You have my admiration and respect.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:

Devils Affricate posted:

Misugi imminent NEET love interest, calling it now

She's going to have to compete with Kawahara now for Tony's affection.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Tme for NEET and the Ramen shop guy to swap lives and have wacky adventures in each other's shoes, where they both learn valuable lessons about empathy and the troubles we all face.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

"Why does this guy keep staring at me? They've been telling him his order is ready for three minutes."

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

same

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Tme for NEET and the Ramen shop guy to swap lives and have wacky adventures in each other's shoes, where they both learn valuable lessons about empathy and the troubles we all face.

This but it's at the demand of Oda because he wants something new to write about

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

We all look the same and there are four of us, hell fuckin yeah!!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Yeah theres someone each in Liberia, Bangladesh, and Nunavut and they all look identical to my pasty white rear end

simplefish fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 31, 2022

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
oh my god, matsutera ex is the narrator

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

yeah actually they will posted:

oh my god, matsutera ex is the narrator

this makes so much sense that I choose to believe it even if there's evidence to the contrary

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Yes, that is exactly how cooking skill works.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Is this the turbo neet that walked out of the job interview?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Lmao

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

McGavin posted:

Maybe not, but it kind of is how the human brain works. "This person is like me and does X, maybe I can do X too" is a surprisingly powerful motivator. It's a superficial similarity in this case but not that much moreso than being from the same town or even being related. I'm looking forward to the "identical ramen master and apprentice" arc

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

McGavin posted:

I know a guy who looks like Mario Batali, and that motherfucker can COOK

Hot Stunt
Oct 2, 2009

Takahashi is a NEET purely because no video game company has produced a game worthy enough for him to debug.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Magissima posted:

Maybe not, but it kind of is how the human brain works. "This person is like me and does X, maybe I can do X too" is a surprisingly powerful motivator. It's a superficial similarity in this case but not that much moreso than being from the same town or even being related. I'm looking forward to the "identical ramen master and apprentice" arc

It's probably a subconscious bias that many people have, but it's very weird to consciously think it out in coherent sentences like that as if it's a rational line of thought lol

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pnumoman posted:

Is this the turbo neet that walked out of the job interview?

o poo poo we're getting into ~DEEP LORE~ of NEET

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Magissima posted:

this is a strange concept to me

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

Devils Affricate posted:

It's probably a subconscious bias that many people have, but it's very weird to consciously think it out in coherent sentences like that as if it's a rational line of thought lol

What else is new, NEET's whole internal monologue is pretty much a stream of unquestioned cognitive biases lol

simplefish posted:

this is a strange concept to me

The necessary first step to pursuing a career or a hobby or whatever else is the realization that it's something you can do. We all know that in theory we can become novelists or astronauts or ramen chefs or whatever else, but I personally never put any thought into any of those careers nor do I know anyone who does them so I have mental shortcuts along the lines of "being a ramen chef is for other people, it's not possible for me." Which of course isn't true, anyone can learn to make ramen with enough effort, but it's a subconscious, self-fulfilling bias that can easily persist until you deliberately question it. There's another bias that makes us assume that people who are similar to us in one way are similar in other ways too, so when you see someone who reminds you of yourself, doing something that you never imagined yourself doing, such as making ramen, it forces you to mentally put yourself in that position and ask the question, "could I be a ramen chef?" with the other person serving as (biased, but potentially motivating) evidence that yes, you can. So the combination of the irrational subconscious dismissal of ramen chef as a career choice and the irrational in-group bias actually leads to a more rational thought process by creating a contradiction and cognitive dissonance until one of the biases is rejected. Which definitely is strange, but our brains work in strange ways

Also I'm an idiot and everything I know about psychology comes from wikipedia so if something in there sounds wrong or like I'm just projecting, that probably is the case

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Makes sense. We know representation is important. Startrek having a black woman as a bridge officer rather than a servant was meaningful representation for people who saw themselves in her. Footage from the Ukraine invasion has hit a lot of white people harder than similar footage from conflicts in the middle east or Africa.

Neet never imagined he could . . . make ramen good. Until he saw someone he relates to making good ramen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!