Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I can't stand contrast for their 'intended' use case, but drat if they don't make a great filter either through the airbrush or heavily diluted with a hairy brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I pretty much just use the white/grey contrast as a wash for imperial stormtroopers

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Yeast posted:

I can't stand contrast for their 'intended' use case, but drat if they don't make a great filter either through the airbrush or heavily diluted with a hairy brush.

Personally I love contrast paints for their intended use case: painting leather bags and belts I don't care enough about to do anything more than slap Snakebite Leather and then do a little bit of highlighting on afterwards.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

StashAugustine posted:

I pretty much just use the white/grey contrast as a wash for imperial stormtroopers

I did much the same thing when I painted the Marvel Crisis Protocol characters that had red and blue in their outfits (Captain America, Captain Marvel, and Spider-Man). I basecoated them in red and blue and then did a mix of Contrast Medium with the desired colors (I think I did 2:1 for Blood Angels Red and 1:1 for Talassar Blue), and it made a perfect wash without getting any splotches or tide marks, etc.

Contrast also makes painting blonde hair stupidly easy. Skeleton Horde or Aggaros Dunes over something like Vallejo Pale Sand is literally cheating when it comes to painting golden locks.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I bought the entire line and I get so much use out of contrasts. Originally I just planned to use them as airbrushed filters, but then I started 3d printing tons of minis for lots of different games so I throw some contrast on them and they’re good to go. My GM can tell me “I need 10 mooks for next weeks game and I can have them printed and painted with time to spare.
I have several 40k armies that I still paint completely traditionally but I have one custom printed guard army that’s entirely contrast, and it looks great.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like contrast both for their intended use and as power glazes/filters. It's fun to experiment and play around with them. Mixing them to create new sometimes better colours, using inks with contrast medium, creating metallic contrast paints, lots of fun things to do with them. I just wish they had dropper bottles.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Will Citadel ever switch over? At this point I just assume the poor bottles are by design

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Professor Shark posted:

Will Citadel ever switch over? At this point I just assume the poor bottles are by design

Doubtful. It’s as much trade dress as anything else now.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

StashAugustine posted:

That’s exactly what I use mine for. It makes an actually good wash for white.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Yeast posted:

Doubtful. It’s as much trade dress as anything else now.

My stupid conspiracy theory is them being easier to spill or be left ajar to dry out is very much a design choice.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I'm doing some Star Wars fortifications with a Hoth theme, any advice on how to do weathering that specifically feels like a winter environment?

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

I gotta think a huge factor on keeping the gw pots is switching out all the retails stands that are out in the world already. But that's bullshit because they could have fat dropper bottles made like pro-acryl.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

Owlbear Camus posted:

My stupid conspiracy theory is them being easier to spill or be left ajar to dry out is very much a design choice.

I have my suspicions that it's not just a theory :tinfoil:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

Never.

But it's fun to imagine that somewhere, someone is thinking of a way to market them like an incredible GW hobby innovation. Perhaps even going as far as to try and come up with a unique dropper/paint pot hybrid. Trying to balance cost of producing them, how much paint they can hold, how they'd use the existing infrastructure to accommodate the new design. Tackling questions about how they'd work with texture and dry paints because obviously they wouldn't, so the old paint pots would have to remain for those. Do they continue to produce those paint pot holders they make or would they discontinue. Stuff like that. It makes you wonder if the entire switch to droppers would even be worth it for them in the end just to add a bit of convenience for their target audience.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cross-posting from the mini wargaming tread:

Started getting around to doing up some warbands for some games. First up is a Silver Bayonet British unit. I don't have any Napoleonics, but I do have Anvil Industry's Vampire Hunters. So first up is the unit's officer, Lady Wheeler.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have my suspicions that it's not just a theory :tinfoil:

The current lids are so over-engineered in all the wrong ways that there is no possible other explanation than "we purposefully made these awful to waste customers money"

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Just in case anyone is interested, Golden Demon results from Adepticon are up on the warcom site.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/29/here-are-the-fantastic-golden-demon-winners-crowned-at-adepticon-2022/

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Funzo posted:

Just in case anyone is interested, Golden Demon results from Adepticon are up on the warcom site.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2022/03/29/here-are-the-fantastic-golden-demon-winners-crowned-at-adepticon-2022/

They're all pretty amazing but I always feel like I'm crazy when I see some of the decisions. That second-place in the Duel category is way more impressive than the winner, and the Slayer Sword winner is honestly kinda boring. Like it's very technically impressive, but so is everything else, and it doesn't have a fraction of the converting work or the attention to subtle lighting that some of the others do.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Funzo posted:

Hard to see how good the painting is when you can't zoom in. Pictures almost look unfocused

Lots of those 1st place winners pale in comparison to the 2nd and 3rd places.

goodness fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Mar 29, 2022

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

This rules and I want to go check out some in depth pictures of it now

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah Idk how that pink/blue creature won over this.

Diorama winner is also another weird one.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

goodness posted:

Yeah Idk how that pink/blue creature won over this.

Diorama winner is also another weird one.

It won because it was awesome. They're all awesome.

But it's also difficult to tell just how awesome they are from a single picture.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Several names I recognize: Sam Lenz of course and also Andy Wardle and Steven Garcia. Must be tough to try to place against so many talented painters.

Agreed that some of the 2nd/3rd place ones look better. I heard people complaining that Space Marines always take it in Golden Demon and that still seems to be partly true, but kind of cool that a simple skink won the AoS category (although that Sigvald is incredible).

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I'd hesitate to judge too much from pictures on warcom. And I'm no expert but I believe Trovarion has a YouTube video where he discusses a lot of what the judges are looking for and also how you must keep in mind the display cabinets and lighting that will effect how your piece is seen during the judging.

I'll try and find it later and edit in a link. (edit - this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVjY02mtcI)

I'm a huge fan of Katarzyna Gorska's stuff, about to sub her Patreon in fact, the Skink is superbly executed and I wonder if the only thing keeping the placing as such was I feel like the more esoteric color schemes don't tend to be as highly rewarded.

When I have a bit more time I want to hunt down all their IGs and look at more pics of the models they surely posted.

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Mar 30, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Photos can't really capture the full effect of a painted miniature (or any painting really) so I'm not surprised.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

tangy yet delightful posted:

I'd hesitate to judge too much from pictures on warcom. And I'm no expert but I believe Trovarion has a YouTube video where he discusses a lot of what the judges are looking for and also how you must keep in mind the display cabinets and lighting that will effect how your piece is seen during the judging.

I'll try and find it later and edit in a link. (edit - this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxVjY02mtcI)

I'm a huge fan of Katarzyna Gorska's stuff, about to sub her Patreon in fact, the Skink is superbly executed and I wonder if the only thing keeping the placing as such was I feel like the more esoteric color schemes don't tend to be as highly rewarded.

When I have a bit more time I want to hunt down all their IGs and look at more pics of the models they surely posted.

Vince Venturella as a Golden Demon vid too that goes into it as well.

The other angles of the Skink really do a lot to sell how good it is. Warcom really is doing a lot of these minis an injustice with only one angle. Pictures distort our sense of scale as well. Its worth remembering how absolutely tiny the miniature is with that amount of detail.

Andy Wardle has a little vlog on the cult of paint youtube channel where he basically instantly called the skink out as a potential slayer sword winner.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I appreciate how Andy Wardle's youtube channel is like one or two 5 minute paint reviews and then several dozen half hour camping videos

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Generally speaking do you suggest assembling my terrain before or after painting.

I don’t think I’m going to spend a million hours detailing it and am leaning towards assembly and then painting.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there anything bad about double priming? Mostly had some things that were done in grey for the original white scars idea, but I’d like to give them a coat of Army Painters Ultramarine too.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

It might be worth sticking with the grey primer for the majority of the model and just use the white to get a small zenithal style highlight. If that doesn't sound like fun I think as long as the layer is thin enough you could prime them in white without much issue. I don't think it would be worthwhile to strip them and re-prime.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IncredibleIgloo posted:

It might be worth sticking with the grey primer for the majority of the model and just use the white to get a small zenithal style highlight. If that doesn't sound like fun I think as long as the layer is thin enough you could prime them in white without much issue. I don't think it would be worthwhile to strip them and re-prime.

I wasn't thinking strip and reprime, but just doing it on top of the original one.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I think you will be fine with the white on top of the grey as long as you keep it thin.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

He's not wanting to do white over the grey, unless I'm misreading?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Is there anything bad about double priming? Mostly had some things that were done in grey for the original white scars idea, but I’d like to give them a coat of Army Painters Ultramarine too.

He wants to use army painter ultramarine primer, which... is probably fine too? My only concern is if he's wanting it to be a basecoat, in which case it would be fairly easy to accidentally go too thick in attempting to get complete coverage. So just be careful not to do that, and its probably fine. Do a couple of test models first rather than lining up 30 guys right off the bat.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

SiKboy posted:

He wants to use army painter ultramarine primer, which... is probably fine too? My only concern is if he's wanting it to be a basecoat, in which case it would be fairly easy to accidentally go too thick in attempting to get complete coverage. So just be careful not to do that, and its probably fine. Do a couple of test models first rather than lining up 30 guys right off the bat.

Oh, yeah, you are very much right, somehow I was stuck on the white scars thing and was thinking about white primer

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SiKboy posted:

Okay I'll give that a try as I have a perfect test model.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Did GW change up their recipes in the last couple years for some of their colors? I got a new paint rack today and some duplicate extra paints from Warhammer: Imperium, and while my new leadbelcher looks pretty close to the old one, the Retributor Armor looks very different:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I loved this.

All of the painting is amazing. But I loved this.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Did GW change up their recipes in the last couple years for some of their colors? I got a new paint rack today and some duplicate extra paints from Warhammer: Imperium, and while my new leadbelcher looks pretty close to the old one, the Retributor Armor looks very different:

Not sure how different it is but it's the most requiring shaking of all of their paints I've used or it ends up being too much medium.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Not sure how different it is but it's the most requiring shaking of all of their paints I've used or it ends up being too much medium.

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

That is good to know about the shaking! I just picked up one of those bio-lab agitators and that has been a help with paint mixing although it makes my hand feel weird and sometimes hits an odd resonance frequency that sounds and feels odd.

I should note that I was reorganizing my paints into a new paint rack when I came up with the question, and I am really enjoying the new paint rack. It is an odd sounding brand "Plydolex", but I really like it. It is a more vertical oriented rack than some others, but not completely vertical. Still very slim though. Holds 60 citadel style paints. I am still trying to figure out the best way to organize my paints. I think I want my base colors in one holder/area, metallics in another, shades in another, and layers in another or with the shades. Some of the metallics have white lids instead of clear lids which makes organizing them in the vertical organizer more difficult. I am considering possibly placing all the metals and shades in a goofy paint carousel I found on Etsy. It circles vertically, not horizontally.

Plydolex Holder --> https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B097TQHRL8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Paint ferris wheel --> https://www.etsy.com/listing/107228...HBoCPZgQAvD_BwE