Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My cats are thudsters. When they chase each other up and down the wooden stairs, it sounds like a cavalry charge. Even when they jump down from a chair, cakes fall two houses away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

One of mine does a trill whenever she jumps up or down from something. It's sometimes pretty loud and almost always scares the poo poo out of me because I have no idea she's there. Especially in the morning when she wants food :sigh:

Jayne Doe
Jan 16, 2010
My cat has two modes: stealth and elephant.

explosivo posted:

One of mine does a trill whenever she jumps up or down from something.
Mine does this, but only when she knows I'm looking. :3:

Jayne Doe fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 27, 2022

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Mine's as light footed as a ballet dancer at 22 pounds

Edit: With the exception of him refusing to allow anyone to trim his claws other than getting the vet to do it, so his footsteps have this little click-clack-click-clack from his hideous long old man nails

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I noticed that my cat sometimes blinks asymmetrically, is this a thing?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's using Morse code.

L R L L
L
L
R L L
R R
L

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Deteriorata posted:

It's using Morse code.

L R L L
L
L
R L L
R R
L

Is this Loss?

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

It's using Morse code.

L R L L
L
L
R L L
R R
L

ITS NOT DINNERTIME YOU LITTLE poo poo

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
So does anyone have any advice/experiences regarding at-home euthanasia? My beloved fluff demon is old and her kidney and related issues have really snowballed over the past few weeks. I'd like to do this at home because the vet is a real ordeal for her-- is there any reason I wouldn't want to do it this way?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The very real risk something goes wrong and it's a painful and terrifying experience rather than just a terrifying experience? Not trying to sound snarky, just, be aware it's very easy to gently caress up killing creatures painlessly.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I would call your vet and ask? Plenty of vets provide at-home euthanasia services now; even if they don't, they may be able to make a local recommendation.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
We had at-home euthanasia for our last elderly cat. It was way better than the times I’ve had it done at the vet.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Raenir Salazar posted:

Mine do this to, I like to think they're slow-winking at me.

They're also very gentle 6 pound kitties unless they're chasing each other around the house, then all grace and poise goes out the window and they just bulldoze through everything parkour-style.

InvisibleMonkey fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Mar 27, 2022

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

So does anyone have any advice/experiences regarding at-home euthanasia? My beloved fluff demon is old and her kidney and related issues have really snowballed over the past few weeks. I'd like to do this at home because the vet is a real ordeal for her-- is there any reason I wouldn't want to do it this way?

It sounds like the way to go, I think it's something that lots of vets offer so I'd suggest calling around if your first choice won't do it? I'm sure there's a vet that can help

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I’m not sure why I assumed the person doing the euthanasia would be Rapture and not an at-home vet :dumb:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, I woke up in the night to find my cat was widdling on the palm of my hand. I got up, washed my hand, vowed to visit the laundromat, went back to sleep. An hour later, I woke up to find her vomiting on the bed. No blood, no bile, just vomit. She's a shorthair, so not a hairball. I wiped that off.

I'm going to keep a close eye to make sure she's eating, drinking, and using the catbox. Anything else I should watch out for? Normally I would call her vet, but I've been on the local vet's waiting list for 7 months, and they don't treat non-clients. If it gets to be an emergency I can put her in her carrier and drive an hour and a half (not kidding), but I'd rather avoid it before then.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Cats vomit sometimes, it doesn't necessarily mean anything. The pissing is more concerning, if the cat does it outside the litter box and seeks your company while doing it that might mean she's in pain and has something like kidney stones or a UTI.

If she seems fine otherwise, it's probably not an immediate emergency, but if she's not back to normal in a day or two I'd definitely see the vet. Cat's little kidneys and bladders are relatively easily destroyed.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah, she's at half her usual level of pep today. Not lethargic, but not bounding around like a mad thing. I'll call the two vets in town in a Hail Mary pass, then off to Ukiah. :(

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

TheSwizzler posted:

Mine's as light footed as a ballet dancer at 22 pounds

Edit: With the exception of him refusing to allow anyone to trim his claws other than getting the vet to do it, so his footsteps have this little click-clack-click-clack from his hideous long old man nails

Same. My 25-lb behemoth cat jumps on my bed in such a way that I don't feel a thing. The bed does not move or shake in even the tiniest way. How does he do it??? :iiam:

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Meanwhile fatass Faffas can't quite make it up onto our bed so he jumps with his back feet on the rail of the frame and front claws digging into the comforter (and anything underneath) to haul himself up. Feels real loving great being sneak-attacked by 22 pounds of fur using your big toe to not fall down.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Is it a bad sign if my cat is immediately sitting down outside the litterbox and licking her booty after every bowel movement? She's like 2 and a half. She doesn't buttscoot or anything but I worry her booty may be irritated. I know how much that sucks for humans and I don't want her to have butt pain. :( No changes in diet or litter. Her behavior's otherwise fine, as gregarious as always. Her poops look about the same as ever, no blood.

I see the vet in about a month for a yearly checkup anyway, but I thought I'd bring it up here.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Long hair? She might be sensing that her butthole is unclean which is hardly uncommon for longhaired cats. Does she have a history of dingleberries?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Cat's fine. She refused breakfast, which was when I made the appointment, but then she chowed down on lunch. She was still at only 50% of her usual rambunctiousness, so we took her to the vet. Vet's diagnosis: she ate something that irritated her bowels and then she passed it. Take the feathers off her cat toys. If she isn't all the way better in 24 hours, call them back.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My cat is confusing me because he likes to cuddle but then he wants to play and he'll play-bite and paw. He also apparently thinks my leg under the blanket is a completely different organism and he'll go ham on it. I suppose he needs more play with the toys.

I also decided to bring him to the vet to get his nails clipped because every time I tried to hold his paw he thought I wanted to play.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 32 minutes!

quarantinethepast posted:

He also apparently thinks my leg under the blanket is a completely different organism and he'll go ham on it.
My family always called this game Mole Monster; even if your cat is nice and tired, the way our legs and stuff create little moving lumps under blankets just triggers some serious automatic hunting instinct poo poo in cats. As long as they're not freaking out, it's really really fun, I just always check in every couple of minutes to make sure they're still able to relax, not getting overwhelmed, etc.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

quarantinethepast posted:

He also apparently thinks my leg under the blanket is a completely different organism and he'll go ham on it.

They are called "toe mice" in these parts.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Two questions about foolishly expensive kitty gadgets

- Is the Litter Robot still awesome, and do they have referral codes at the EU store?

- Anyone tried the Felaqua by Sure? I like the style of it, looks fairly easy to keep clean. Not sure I need another Hub of Things, or another way to worry about my fuzzfaces' health though!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I seriously question the necessity of tracking a cat's water intake, especially if most of their diet comes from wet food (and a high wet food diet will really diminish the value of any data that's collected). But I'm no doctor so so maybe they find that information valuable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I don't think there's any benefit to it in 95% of cases. You aren't tracking the output so why track the intake? Cats with renal, cardiovascular disease where you care about fluid states, you'll be able to tell from their respiration whether they're fluid overloaded. Seems like another thing for anxious people to fixate on.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

With the standard disclaimer that not every cat will take to a Litter Robot, and I'm not sure what else is on the market now, but my LR has been a massive quality of life improvement because I spend a whole 10 minutes a week refilling litter, swapping bags and sweeping up stray litter off the ground. And that's with three cats making GBS threads and pissing into the thing which necessitates a much more frequent maintenance cycle. Better than scooping the waste of three cats manually, that's for drat sure.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

kw0134 posted:

With the standard disclaimer that not every cat will take to a Litter Robot, and I'm not sure what else is on the market now, but my LR has been a massive quality of life improvement because I spend a whole 10 minutes a week refilling litter, swapping bags and sweeping up stray litter off the ground. And that's with three cats making GBS threads and pissing into the thing which necessitates a much more frequent maintenance cycle. Better than scooping the waste of three cats manually, that's for drat sure.

We have 3 robots for 6 cats and the robots are nothign short of a goddamn miracle.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

You people are really making me consider the robot. We currently use a walnut pellets type litter with little extruded walnut cylinders that don't clump. The concern is that the cat will track the other stuff all over the place, is this not an issue with the litter robot? I'm happy to switch if it's not a problem.

How's the fancy litter stuff? Or whatever it's called, the one marketing all over social media right now.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My pitch for the litter robot is:

Imagine only having to think about cat poop when the robot pings your phone that its full and needs to be emptied. Also think of how many times you've squatted over that box to scoop it over your lifetime and then never having to do that ever again.

I bought mine after a bike accident where I physically couldn't deal with the box for a couple of months.

With 2 small cats and world's best litter, I empty it about once every 1.5 weeks but add a scoop or two of litter once a week or so. Quelling litter tracking feels like a losing battle though I gave up and just vacuum more. It doesn't help that Milly bolts out of the thing like a rocket. Butters is too small for it to detect her but Milly eventually sets it off.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
The poo poo robot is the best cat-related purchase ever, especially with Chewy delivering 40lbs of Dr Elsey's litter to my doorstep whenever needed.

I've had it just over 3 years now, no issues with 2 cats!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

pzy posted:

The poo poo robot is the best cat-related purchase ever, especially with Chewy delivering 40lbs of Dr Elsey's litter to my doorstep whenever needed.

I've had it just over 3 years now, no issues with 2 cats!

How do you deal with litter getting into the paws and tracked all over?

Quill spends a lot of time on my desk, on my bed, etc and the big reason we use the walnut stuff is that it literally never leaves the bathroom where her litter is.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Litter robot is totes worth it and the only problem I’ve had with it is dustier litters will eventually coat the camera leading to it thinking it’s full 24/7. Switching to World’s Best and a good full cleaning has taken care of that…for now at least. It’s been like two months so I’m not super worried

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hawkperson posted:

Litter robot is totes worth it and the only problem I’ve had with it is dustier litters will eventually coat the camera leading to it thinking it’s full 24/7. Switching to World’s Best and a good full cleaning has taken care of that…for now at least. It’s been like two months so I’m not super worried

Which version of the World's Best are goons recommending? They seem to have quite a few options:

I'm interested in the low tracking one!

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

I find Okocat pellets are pretty great at reducing odor. The more "woodchip" version is worse for static-clinging to fur and ending up all over the house but the pellets have been fantastic so far

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

For some reason, my litter robot periodically just stops rotating on it's own. Other than that, it's absolutely fantastic honestly

It's not a big deal to just press the button as I walk by, since it's between my home office and the bathroom anyway, but I wish I could fix it. I keep meaning to send them a support request.. cause I'm presuming I just need to pop it open and give something a good cleaning on the pressure sensor. It still triggers if I push on it so I presume it's just a sensitivity thing due to grime build up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Wings
Oct 12, 2012

I use Original unscented Worlds best and its pretty good. It does track, but honestly just vacuuming a bit more deals with it pretty well. It lasts for a super long time as well.