Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Those are MD-10s, which is an important distinction here because it’d be McDonnell-Douglas letterhead on the parts, not Douglas.

The MD-10 is a DC-10 with a MD-11 cockpit so they can be the same type.

edit: I guess that’s wrong:.. Wikipedia claims it there are 12 MD-10s flying and 0 DC-10s so idk what’s up with the Douglas thing. It’s 11 FedEx and 1 flown by Bolivia.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
And UPS (MD-11, technically)

Also, air tankers.

Edit: yeah, what hobbesmaster said.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Oops, double post.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The MD-10s are an STC on DC-10-10s and DC-10-30s, while MD-11s are on a different Type Certificate. Anything regarding MD-10s that isn’t specific to the STC will be on the DC-10 TC, and thus parts will reference the DC-10 IPC/MM. (Which has Douglas headers.)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Trijets are sexy as hell and I miss them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Triva:
N306FE appears to be one of them still flying
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N306FE

That's the one where the crazy fedex employee tried to do the murder/suicide thing and the pilots ended up doing all sorts of aerobatics to keep the hijacker off his feet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
I saw that in the original thread, no idea if it's true but it would rule so hard

Yeah I don't think it's an inherently plane problem, just something we created. I certainly had to go through security for trains in Chian and Uzbekistan for example.

Meanwhile I can get on an EU flight within 15 minutes from entering my airport, including security checks.

The only real thing trains have over planes as far as inherent need for security is that its harder to kill people not on the train during a hijacking. Planes didn't even used to have metal detectors until a black guy got beat up in the 70s by some dirty cops so he and two friends hijacked Southern Airways Flight 49* and threatened to crash it into Oak Ridge if they didn't get to talk to Nixon about it. I assume trains will get more security if someone ever finds a way to cause a huge chemical spill or something.

*I'd link wikipedia, but the page kinda sucks. You'd probably be better getting details from anywhere else.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, security isn't even the main concern and that's something that's pretty solvable by streamlining the flow.

For one, the whole "SHOE BOMB" and liquid concern likely isn't that big of a concern on a train ever since you don't have to worry as much about a hull breach or a structural breakup 5 miles above the surface of the planet. As long as someone can't get something onboard large enough to derail the train, a localized small explosion or fire isn't going to be a huge safety concern for the whole train like it is on an airplane. A train can just...stop. It doesn't have to maintain structural integrity and life support for dozens of minutes and then perform a structurally stressful procedure to get on the ground nor is it going to store fuel throughout the structure that can be set on fire or does it need specific weather conditions to stop. You also can't exactly hijack a train to get you to a different destination.

So, if you limit the security screening down to a metal detector/body scan, bag xray, and some explosive sniffing, things would move through pretty quickly. No taking off shoes and taking crap out of bags and whatnot. Just make sure someone doesn't have a gun or a machete and move people through.

Beyond that, the main holdups in airports are delays and the taxi/gate wrangling to keep delays from compounding along with weather delays. The trains should largely run on time as long as there aren't maintenance concerns which would move people though the station, at a predictable pace so you don't need plan so far ahead that you are at your gate an hour before takeoff.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's why if I was a billionaire I'd be flying a Falcon 8X instead of a G700 or whatever, trijets best jets

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

aeroflot might have to bring back the Tu-154M inshallah

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

aeroflot might have to bring back the Tu-154M inshallah

Were they retired because of engineering flaws or poor maintenance?

Also guys, this thread has been going on long enough we could quote stuff from the years the current page numbers are

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

bull3964 posted:

So, if you limit the security screening down to a metal detector/body scan, bag xray, and some explosive sniffing, things would move through pretty quickly. No taking off shoes and taking crap out of bags and whatnot. Just make sure someone doesn't have a gun or a machete and move people through.

Yeah, I took the train a few times in Spain and it was “throw your bag through the scanner and then head to your gate”. I don’t even remember a metal detector. It’s not like they haven’t had an experience with terrorism on trains either.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If they're going to do that might as well reach for the stars and do the 144 just to show the rest of the world how glorious mother russia has been held down by the oppressive west.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Didn't they retire the tu-154 because they're like a 717 in terms of passenger capacity and range but take 50% more fuel because they have 3 engines

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, security isn't even the main concern and that's something that's pretty solvable by streamlining the flow.

Most airport security isn't based on any rational analysis and it's not likely that train security would fare any better.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rscott posted:

Didn't they retire the tu-154 because they're like a 717 in terms of passenger capacity and range but take 50% more fuel because they have 3 engines

i think passenger capacity is closer to a MD-90, it's listed as 114-180 on wikpedia which we all know is accurate. they are extremely performant from a power-to-weight perspective even compared to say, the 727, but that means they're very thirsty, noisy and maintenance pigs. but compared to "not having planes" they are a pretty good answer. they've been successively grounded by different organizations due to age but i don't see the Russian Federation having a lot of other decent options.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

slidebite posted:

That's the one where the crazy fedex employee tried to do the murder/suicide thing and the pilots ended up doing all sorts of aerobatics to keep the hijacker off his feet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Express_Flight_705

There's an episode of Mayday or one of those airline disaster shows that covers this with the pilots themselves describing what happened over re-enactments. Jesus loving Christ, that was too ridiculous for a movie. Dude getting his skull fractured with a hammer, there's a spear-gun involved somewhere in there, one pilot unable to do much in the cockpit because he had a brain injury, another pulling some flying out of an Airport movie to try to throw the attacker off his feet, it was bonkers.

Mr. Funny Pants fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Apr 5, 2022

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cat Hatter posted:

Planes didn't even used to have metal detectors until a black guy got beat up in the 70s by some dirty cops so he and two friends hijacked Southern Airways Flight 49* and threatened to crash it into Oak Ridge if they didn't get to talk to Nixon about it.

Peak seventies

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Priority Pass just opened a new lounge at CLT with free food/drinks and showers. I’m pissed because 1) I don’t travel for work anymore and can’t use it coming back in for a free dinner (PP membership by way of AmEx) 2) The ATL one I spent time in fairly regularly was just a small private room and had no food.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
:staredog:

Robinsons. Never once: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alpGMjCZ83Y

Warning, pretty :nms:. You won't see the crash/impact but watching this will make your rear end in a top hat pucker simply out of sympathy for the two unfortunates aboard.

If you want to see the aftermath it's not hard to find.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Man all I can say is I hope that spin made them unconscious quickly.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

drat

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
Did the rotor hit the tail or something?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Mortabis posted:

Did the rotor hit the tail or something?

Robinsons have a notoriously finicky rotor system. They're horribly prone to something called "mast bumping" (and the mast on the Robinsons are super prominent) which is where the rotor assembly can impact the mast that it sits on. Occasionally the entire rotor system will come off, other times it can slice off the tail or go into the cabin. My guess is the rotor tilted too much, cut off the tail (which you can see early on in the video flitting around independently of the helo), and then the rotor, which was still turning as the pilot probably *tried* to get level and autorotate, hit the mast again and just broke.

They are the deadliest helicopters data-wise in the part of the world where records are kept and I will never fly in one.

The LA Times did a really good article on them in 2018: https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-robinson-helicopters/

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 31, 2022

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there an advantage to building the helicopter that way?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Is there an advantage to building the helicopter that way?

Robinsons are cheap. :shrug:

Well, "cheap" in the sense that they're accessible when bought used for people and/or concerns that want helicopters but can't spend more than ~$100-200k.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 31, 2022

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

Currently the operator with the largest fleet of DC-10s still flying calls it the "KC-10 Extender."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Now fly that Robinson like you stole it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zPmNwP8SQ

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Robinsons have a notoriously finicky rotor system. They're horribly prone to something called "mast bumping" (and the mast on the Robinsons are super prominent) which is where the rotor assembly can impact the mast that it sits on. Occasionally the entire rotor system will come off, other times it can slice off the tail or go into the cabin. My guess is the rotor tilted too much, cut off the tail (which you can see early on in the video flitting around independently of the helo), and then the rotor, which was still turning as the pilot probably *tried* to get level and autorotate, hit the mast again and just broke.

They are the deadliest helicopters data-wise in the part of the world where records are kept and I will never fly in one.

The LA Times did a really good article on them in 2018: https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-robinson-helicopters/
That article is pretty bad and written by someone who's been spoon-fed what to write.

I think it's unlikely that the main bladed hit the tail boom or that he mast-bumped it. The main blades and rotor assembly in general looks intact (until it *does* hit the remaining tail boom).
The prominence of the mast on the Robbies have nothing to do with being more prone to mast bumping.
Mast bumping can happen in any semi-rigid (underslung rotor head). When the disk gets unloaded during a low G maneuver, the helicopter can start to roll left as the rotor can no longer counter the force from the tail rotor (as it's mounted above the central axis of the heli). If the pilot then counters, the blade can, again, due to the lack of load, flap fully right and the bottom the of the rotor assembly can start 'bumping' the mast, potentially causing the mast to fail and the rotor to separate.

I think it has far more to do with the typical operator of the R44's being low hour pilots.
The R22 uses identical design, but is primarily used for flight instruction, so a responsible adult will be on board the majority of the time.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

stealie72 posted:

And UPS (MD-11, technically)

Also, air tankers.

I assume when you say ‘air tankers’ you mean the KC-10 Extender but there is a fleet of civilian DC-10s (not MD-10) still in use that are known as tankers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-10_Air_Tanker

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Platystemon posted:

By never flying above 5 meters, he increases his chance of a survivable crash.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I think it has far more to do with the typical operator of the R44's being low hour pilots.
The R22 uses identical design, but is primarily used for flight instruction, so a responsible adult will be on board the majority of the time.

Blancolirio did a brief video on this crash, and it was an instruction flight. However, the instructor didn't have many hours. He mentioned something about the pilot shortage leading to lots of low-time instructors.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I've been a passenger on an R44 making an auto rotation landing, R44s are fiiiiiine

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Platystemon posted:

Wasn’t there a video of a Robinson going out for a pig hunt and crashing right after takeoff around this time last year?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Warbird posted:

Wasn’t there a video of a Robinson going out for a pig hunt and crashing right after takeoff around this time last year?

Yes, and that pilot performed an excellent autorotating landing, but the cause was ultimately pilot error because he forgot to turn the magnetos on or something like that

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYBf3XPwvaU

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

BobHoward posted:

Blancolirio did a brief video on this crash, and it was an instruction flight. However, the instructor didn't have many hours. He mentioned something about the pilot shortage leading to lots of low-time instructors.

I feel like most instructors are always low hour guys. Very few people instruct for a living. Those that do are typically to get through a transitory phase of their aviation career.

Being a low hour guy doesn’t mean you aren’t safe. You may not have the experience of a higher hour pilot but that often induces caution and conservative judgement.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

I assume when you say ‘air tankers’ you mean the KC-10 Extender but there is a fleet of civilian DC-10s (not MD-10) still in use that are known as tankers:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DC-10_Air_Tanker
I actually meant as wildfire tankers, so you picked up what I put down.

Would love to experience one of those loud old bastards flying low, but also, would not want to be in the middle of a wildfire.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Would love to experience one of those loud old bastards flying low, but also, would not want to be in the middle of a wildfire.

This one snuck up on me during the night. It was wayyyy off in the distance the night before.

Somewhere off in that direction is fire.

9 AM the next morning.

I quickly got off the mountain!

One thing I learned that day was that white ash = distant fire, and partly-burned pine needles = not-distant fire.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

:siren: New Mustard :siren:

It's about the XB-70 :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl32c352thE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

BobHoward posted:

Blancolirio

I can't stand that guy.