Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Disney used to have nightclubs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Zetsubou-san posted:

The third part of Dorktown's saga on Dave Stieb is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTCyQMyOu8
God seeing some of the comments go "Well actually Stieb isn't a HOFer" annoy me, mostly because the Baseball HOF is the worst HOF in terms of how people get in on the whims of self righteous assholes

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

nine-gear crow posted:

Some people are just weirdly incapable of shutting the gently caress up about what makes them horny and why.

And these people become SF/Fantasy authors

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Veotax posted:

Again? I haven't followed the newspaper comic thread since the pandemic started or something like that for some reason, and I swear it had just finished a storyline the was flashbacks of grandma loving a Nazi.
it got dropped entirely from the thread a year or so ago after he kicked off pride month with a storyline about the gay character cheating on his husband with a woman because drat it she just makes such good music.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm not really following this thread very actively -- why does it have such a low rating? What kind of drama is going on in here?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Semi regular derails slapfights and general parasocial inanity

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm not really following this thread very actively -- why does it have such a low rating? What kind of drama is going on in here?

how much do you like arguing about lindsey ellis and cancel culture

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Lord Stimperor posted:

Star Wars

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Yeah, that's definitely a good point.

Although I do think that fetish as a word can be used to describe things that aren't purely of a sexual nature, in which case it's something that might apply to asexuals too.
As an example, I have a friend who's asexual and according to her she has a fetish for cuddling (and I mean, she's right, cuddling is great).

On the other hand, it might be better to use the word 'fixation' for that?

As someone who's been in and out of various kink milieus' over the years, I'm pretty confident in saying there's sex weirds everywhere and that none of them are particularly good about shutting the gently caress up.
I won't pretend that that didn't include me at some point. I got better, though.

EDIT: I guess what I'm getting at is that it's fine to have a fetish - the issues start when it becomes part of ones personality.
asexuals can have kinks, it's different for everyone

i think the thing about feet/hands or whatever is it's pretty vanilla and not like.. super disturbing or anything, so it's easier for people to be ironic or unironic about it in public, i guess. same with people typing "crush me" about tall women. they don't have to worry about being called a freak for typing that. there are way stranger fetishes that being open about in that same way would get you odd looks

like former SA poster cabbagepots in games forum would try to do ironic/unironic posting about their gigantess fetish and it just caused people to dunk on them (to the point that i don't even remember anything else about that poster)

e: being aroace i find this stuff interesting to talk about. thinkin' bout how people's minds work. but obv it's not really in line with the thread topic unless someone makes a video essay about it

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 30, 2022

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

The 7th Guest posted:

e: being aroace i find this stuff interesting to talk about. thinkin' bout how people's minds work. but obv it's not really in line with the thread topic unless someone makes a video essay about it

Here's a pretty good video essay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcY6MYpQuPU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lord Stimperor posted:

every low effort troll dooms the thread for at least one page. in between the derails its a nice way to learn about youtube creators you may not have heard of.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Lord Stimperor posted:

Did you not see the foot fetish derail on the last page

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Still surprised this thread gets labeled the worst compared to gbs or the half a dozen other shitpost subforums or whatever the hell QCS tries to be. 10 bucks to facebook 4chan 9gag reddit post.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
what are dogs?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think they should have Star Peace instead.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

The third part of Dorktown's saga on Dave Stieb is out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaTCyQMyOu8

I am extremely happy for this person I will never meet for something they did in a sport I don’t care about which happened almost 22 years ago.

Dorktown is a magical thing.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lord Stimperor posted:

You are asking that of the thread for which the :one: emote was specifically created. As in I literally made it because I was loving sick of this insufferable thread and wanted to visually express it in the forums' lingua franca.

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Just found out hbomberguy went live an hour ago in YouTube to celebrate hitting 1 million subscribers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_i3hOC4BsA

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
This isn't the worst thread on the forum but it's probably the worst thread I have bookmarked.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Genthil posted:

Just found out hbomberguy went live an hour ago in YouTube to celebrate hitting 1 million subscribers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_i3hOC4BsA
"i didn't want the deus ex video to do this well, i was trying to determine the maximum limit of time and taste, and youtube is telling me there is no limit"

e: it's becoming a chess charity stream!!!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 30, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

nine-gear crow posted:

You are asking that of the thread for which the :one: emote was specifically created. As in I literally made it because I was loving sick of this insufferable thread and wanted to visually express it in the forums' lingua franca.

I feel like you might have a parasocial relationship with this thread.

Anyway, I forgot thread ratings existed.

Grondoth posted:

Yeah in the era where you couldn't enter Disneyland as a dude with long hair, they'd literally kick you out, and they had barbershop quartets around the park as entertainers, they *also* made the anime band from Daft Punk's music videos and had them sing a song called Jailbait.

If there wasn't video I wouldn't have believed this story was true.

Right, it's kind of amazing how high effort the whole project was for how quickly it seemed to collapse in on itself. Suppose it says something about the absolutely dire state of Disney at that time, where it was in a slowly declining holding pattern and everyone expected it to be looted by corporate raiders for component parts.

Gaius Marius posted:

Disney used to have nightclubs

You know it's actually interesting because Halyx was a thing they did in the summer of 1981. The Pleasure Island night clubs were one of the many things Michael Eisner did to try to "adult up" the parks after he became CEO in 1984. I wonder what would've happened if there had been any overlap between those two things? A Star-Wars-by-way-of-KISS rock band show sounds exactly like something Eisner would've loved. We could've had like 4 DTV trash movies about the band going around in a jalopy rocket solving monster-based crimes or something.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

this thread gets rancid fairly often but its still nowhere near as bad as the F1 thread or any given thread in the Ray Parlour

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i can't tell if hbomberguy is trying to hustle or if he legitimately has no idea how to play chess

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

i can't tell if hbomberguy is trying to hustle or if he legitimately has no idea how to play chess

i'm gonna go with 'he legitimately has no idea how to play chess'

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Schir posted:

i'm gonna go with 'he legitimately has no idea how to play chess'
he had an easy win if he just moved his knight to check and instead he hosed up so badly lol

e: luckily the other player is just as bad as him lol

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Nuns with Guns posted:

That's covered in the back half of Sophie's latest video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZyIjBxxpTY

Man this was kind of a waste of time! Two hours on how some people I already knew were lovely dudes are lovely dudes, way too much time talking about Breadtube. It could have talked about the history of left-wing conspiracism but it was pretty uninterested in that. Hell, it wasn’t even interested in talking about the scope of left-wing conspiracism, which can be pretty bad in the UK!

I appreciate it calling out the Greyzone but gently caress, the left should have known that the Greyzone was awful when it started peddling in denying that Assad used chemical weapons

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

Right, it's kind of amazing how high effort the whole project was for how quickly it seemed to collapse in on itself. Suppose it says something about the absolutely dire state of Disney at that time, where it was in a slowly declining holding pattern and everyone expected it to be looted by corporate raiders for component parts.

You know it's actually interesting because Halyx was a thing they did in the summer of 1981. The Pleasure Island night clubs were one of the many things Michael Eisner did to try to "adult up" the parks after he became CEO in 1984. I wonder what would've happened if there had been any overlap between those two things? A Star-Wars-by-way-of-KISS rock band show sounds exactly like something Eisner would've loved. We could've had like 4 DTV trash movies about the band going around in a jalopy rocket solving monster-based crimes or something.

I'm not gonna lie, Halyx seems like it loving ruled. I'm bummed it didn't take off. I could see it being a huge hit, with a giant wookie shaman rocking out on bass, a robot keyboardist... they even had a little guy who did the acrobatic performance stuff that audiences ate up in Cats. The band was genuinely novel back then, and still wild to think about today. A drat shame, all told. A real drat shame it wasn't even a fun underground cult phenomenon, just one summer in Disneyland.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

thetoughestbean posted:

Man this was kind of a waste of time! Two hours on how some people I already knew were lovely dudes are lovely dudes, way too much time talking about Breadtube. It could have talked about the history of left-wing conspiracism but it was pretty uninterested in that. Hell, it wasn’t even interested in talking about the scope of left-wing conspiracism, which can be pretty bad in the UK!

I appreciate it calling out the Greyzone but gently caress, the left should have known that the Greyzone was awful when it started peddling in denying that Assad used chemical weapons

Thing is, people on twitter were dogpilling her with the exact same takes she was calling out, there's a lot of very stupid leftists out there who need to be burned out of the movement.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Judge Tesla posted:

Thing is, people on twitter were dogpilling her with the exact same takes she was calling out, there's a lot of very stupid leftists out there who need to be burned out of the movement.

Terminal idiots like Peter Coffin are doing it extremely well by themselves

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Hbomb's stream was good and I'm happy that his guest and main donation drive target got the time to make his case, since apparently his region's feedback and news were obscured even from the rest of Ukraine.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jenny Nicholson is at the Star Wars hotel and extremely delighted:

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1508902173454716929?s=20&t=U_Ud32ldpQoUFI0axtNT6w

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was also funny how she paid $6k and got an obstructed view of the dinner show.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That is a beautiful bug for a Souls-like game to have. :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

it got dropped entirely from the thread a year or so ago after he kicked off pride month with a storyline about the gay character cheating on his husband with a woman because drat it she just makes such good music.

Oh, I remember that! Must have been around the time I stopped following the thread.
No real reason for it, just stopped having the time to keep up with it. Maybe I'll try again. Thanks.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

It's kinda sad when you stack that up against all her other comments about this experience. Like, it's actually this easy to really hook most Star Wars fans! And Disney is still utterly failing at it with their $5000 Star Wars hotel 95% of the time!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

this thread gets rancid fairly often but its still nowhere near as bad as the F1 thread or any given thread in the Ray Parlour

Like a thread on Formula One racing? Not the thread I'd guess but I'm also not surprised. I have stories from a friend's wife who was in online groups about various soap operas and boy howdy.

I might even have said some unkind things way back on the MST3K usenet and that was the about defending the comedic qualities of the new host of a cow town puppet show. So.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

CmdrKing posted:

It's kinda sad when you stack that up against all her other comments about this experience. Like, it's actually this easy to really hook most Star Wars fans! And Disney is still utterly failing at it with their $5000 Star Wars hotel 95% of the time!

I think the most damning thing I've heard about the whole experience was on "The Disney Dish" podcast. The host who went made up a charecter, Hank Lonely - producer of documentaries, threw himself completely into the experience and had a blast. And then said basically "since I make my recomendations for the 95% of people who don't drop more than $6000 on a trip, no it's not worth it. Take a trip across America, go to Europe, go to Asia, go to where your family is from. And then, maybe, go to the Star Wars hotel."

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Disney was never going to be able to provide a 2.25ish day high-immersion LARP "worth" $5-6k, or even half that. If anything, the price represents that Disney wants to try to frontload as much income from that initial burst of invested SW fans before interest in it craters in coming years, then they can lower the rates and pitch it as a great deal on a prestige experience.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I miss PBS Idea Channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Twincityhacker posted:

I think the most damning thing I've heard about the whole experience was on "The Disney Dish" podcast. The host who went made up a charecter, Hank Lonely - producer of documentaries, threw himself completely into the experience and had a blast. And then said basically "since I make my recomendations for the 95% of people who don't drop more than $6000 on a trip, no it's not worth it. Take a trip across America, go to Europe, go to Asia, go to where your family is from. And then, maybe, go to the Star Wars hotel."

yea I'm 100% the target demo for this, I'm a huge SW fan, I'm a roleplaying games fan, I'd 100% go full on with this dumb fun stuff, but I literally can't even imagine being able to spend 6k on a vacation and not using that obviously once in a lifetime amount of fun money to go to real rear end countries I've been dying to see or something. You just can't justify that price for most of your audience.