Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't he flood out wakanda a few years back? Always thought that was impressive considering it's supposed to be an inner section of the continent. Kinda like flooding out Kansas or Ohio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Norton is a really good actor and I liked Incredible Hulk a lot.

I have an IIMM. In True Romance, Michale Rappaport's character is reading for a TV show, TJ Hooker. In his audition, he's not only horrible, but he curses during his lines. "Where the gently caress did these guys come from?" It's a prime time TV show starring William Shatner, he drops an F bomb and still lands the role even though he's got the script in front of him and it obviously doesn't say "gently caress" on it.

Maybe that's the joke? I could have bought it if he were merely terrible but he was bad and also flubbed that line.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s not in the movie script, he must have ad libbed it

quote:

(she picks up a copy of the script)
Whenever you’re ready.
DICK
(reading and miming driving)
Where'd he come from?
RAVENCROFT
(reading from the script lifelessly)
I don't know. He just appeared like magic.
DICK
(reading from script)
Well, don't just sit there, shoot him.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

TGG posted:

I'm wondering about how little credit Steel gets for being a black led superhero movie at least a year or two before Blade. I haven't seen the Steel movie in AGES and I don't remember it being great, however people saying Blade was the first black superhero in films are a bit off base. poo poo I remember seeing Meteor Man in theaters and loving the cast, and as I'm typing this I realize I saw Spawn in theater and I know for sure I saw that before I saw Blade and did not hate it. Blade was easily the best of that lot but there were attempted black superhero movies that just had worse writing and actors that showed you could at least do something with a comic book character.
I'm just realizing I've seen every movie starring Shaq in theaters just because my neighborhood movie theater had a deal in the middle of the days to watch 3 unsalable movies for 9 bucks and that was when they put on Shaq movies or Airbuds.

I was going to say that this is Pootie Tang erasure but it apparently came out 3 years after Blade.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Everybody always forgets about Blank Man

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

OwlFancier posted:

Roll Thizzlebeef

New E-40 joint gonna be liiiiit

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I genuinely don't know a better way to describe reb brown to someone other than the guy from that one famous episode of MST3K. I think that is genuinely the most well known thing he has done.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Didn't Spawn predate Steel?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

credburn posted:

Didn't Spawn predate Steel?

By a full year

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Yeah but Meteor Man was 93, and it has Frank Gorshin AND Luther Vandross in it. There's so much about it that doesn't make sense, but I can't help loving it just a bit.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

flavor.flv posted:

Oh, they had Hulk. The Ed Norton Hulk movie was supposed to be the beginning of the shared universe, with RDJ coming in after the credits to connect the movies together

Unfortunately for him, Norton decided to try and throw his A-lister weight around and get directorial control over the first avengers movie, so they kicked him out on his rear end

He probably should have seen that coming after they did the exact same thing to Terrance Howard in Iron Man 2.

I'll never understand actors. A-listers have one of the cushiest jobs in the world. You show up after the hard work is already finished, say what they tell you to say, and go smoke weed in your luxury rv for the rest of the day, and in return you become a billionaire worldwide sex symbol

You don't even need to sit in a makeup chair for hours like they used to do now that it's all CGI (because costume and makeup are union jobs so the studios are trying to eliminate them entirely)

I can understand being anxious as an actor because there's so much crazy poo poo behind the scenes that can turn a winning project right into a razzie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Everybody always forgets about Blank Man

Blankman might as well have never happened.

Whereas Batman Forever, which came on the scene less than a year later, has made an indelible mark on our popular culture.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Batman Forever dumpstered both Billy Dee Williams and Marlon Wayans for what were surely entirely logical reasons.

More importantly the naming conventions for the latter two sequels are hosed up.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Was looking over movies that the Friends stars did, and found this horrible thing called The Switch.

Jennifer Aniston is your average every day girl with a male friend who super wants her but she doesn't want him. She decides to have a kid via artificial insemination, and has a goddamn party for it. Male friend is bummed he didn't get asked to be the sample donor. He ends up drunk in the bathroom with the sample and you can see where this is going because it's a romcom. He spills the sample, panics, and jerks himself off and leaves his own semen in the sample cup with no one the wiser until he sees the kid about seven years later and it looks just like him. Of course he has to tell her, and while she is upset, not enough not to marry him and become a "real" family.

I remember close to a dozen loving movies on Lifetime, growing up, with the same premise, but it was always the IVF doctor who did the subbing with his own poo poo. and it was not played for cute laughs or realizing how much you super love the dude years after you decide you're better as just friends. It was played for loving horror. Which it is.

Maybe it's not as bad as the Revenge of the Nerds costume poo poo (I am still wondering who greenlit that) but it is on par with the Wonder Woman 1984 insanity.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
That's actually very fair, they're so perfectly backwards it feels like it was deliberate..

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I can understand how bad Animal House ripoffs were a thing (the 80s...). It's harder to picture pitch meetings in the mid-2000s.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Cowslips Warren posted:

Was looking over movies that the Friends stars did, and found this horrible thing called The Switch.

I saw this movie in jail.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Maybe it's not as bad as the Revenge of the Nerds costume poo poo (I am still wondering who greenlit that) but it is on par with the Wonder Woman 1984 insanity.

I was exposed to Shakespeare's comedies for the first time over the last few years and JFC not only are they not funny, they're rapey as gently caress and dressing up as someone else to fool someone into loving you is like the loving Wilhelm scream of early modern English comedy.

But also -- what the hell happens in Wonder Woman 1984??

credburn has a new favorite as of 04:33 on Mar 30, 2022

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

credburn posted:

I saw this movie in jail.

Didn't that violate the 8th Amendment?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
A lot of people, especially those making movies, still don't really understand the idea of informed consent, and basically go 'But what if he REALLY wants to?'

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Batman Forever dumpstered both Billy Dee Williams and Marlon Wayans for what were surely entirely logical reasons.

More importantly the naming conventions for the latter two sequels are hosed up.

I know Billy Dee was Harvey Dent but who was Marlon Wayans?

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Joey Freshwater posted:

Marlon was supposed to play Robin.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of people, especially those making movies, still don't really understand the idea of informed consent, and basically go 'But what if he REALLY wants to?'

That Chris Pratt space movie, Passengers, comes to mind.

Dooms a woman to die in space because he's bored and wants to gently caress her. So romantic.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Joey Freshwater posted:

Not only was he supposed to be Robin, he got a pretty decent payout for getting dropped.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

credburn posted:

But also -- what the hell happens in Wonder Woman 1984??
Through a poorly--formed wish, the ghost of her former lover possesses some other dude's body for a big chunk of the movie.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

FFT posted:

Through a poorly--formed wish, the ghost of her former lover possesses some other dude's body for a big chunk of the movie.

There is legitimately no reason why he uses/appears in her neighbor's body. I don't understand why they just didn't bring him back to life with that magic wish stone, I don't think any other wishes made had that kind of weird element to it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cowslips Warren posted:

There is legitimately no reason why he uses/appears in her neighbor's body. I don't understand why they just didn't bring him back to life with that magic wish stone, I don't think any other wishes made had that kind of weird element to it.

The other wishes do have their own kinds of hosed up poo poo going on, don't worry. It's very 'Better Things Aren't Possible: The Movie'.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Also the scene in which a woman physically retaliates against a stranger who attempts to at the very least physically and very likely sexually assault her after already having also made an attempt earlier in the movie is used as the turning point that signifies her status as a villain.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

It’s not a good movie

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Being a vigilante is bad.

Unless you are born into both royalty and superpowers, obviously.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Being a vigilante is bad.

Unless you are born into both royalty and superpowers, obviously.

Also divinity!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Dooms a woman to die in space because he's bored and wants to gently caress her. So romantic.

There's a video on youtube by Nerdwriter1 that discusses this and shows that by switching the POV you could recut the movie into an excellent scifi thriller.

https://youtu.be/Gksxu-yeWcU

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember close to a dozen loving movies on Lifetime, growing up, with the same premise, but it was always the IVF doctor who did the subbing with his own poo poo. and it was not played for cute laughs or realizing how much you super love the dude years after you decide you're better as just friends. It was played for loving horror. Which it is.

That literally happened to a guy I know.
He was an only child and did one of those 23 and me tests. He had 17 half siblings in the area, and the father was a reproductive doctor, who looks exactly like him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's probably books to be written on how romcoms in particular and stock romantic subplots in general romanticise and idealise all kinds of incredibly hosed up behaviour. At the very least, certainly a lot of 'You only have exactly one True Love and unless you obsessively and exclusively pursue them until they finally realise you are The One you will be alone and miserable for the rest of your life'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was part of the message of the first Hotel Transylvania movie. Where you get one true love and it doesn't count unless it is love at first sight.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

That was part of the message of the first Hotel Transylvania movie. Where you get one true love and it doesn't count unless it is love at first sight.

You only get one Zing.

Which was a weird part of the third where Dracula gets another True Love. And the fact the kids, as in like prek/grade school kids, the girl wants to see if they zing and the boy runs off.

Romcoms are poison unless done right, and so few are. Didn't they also make the term Friend Zone which is insanely seized by the incels as some kind of power chant.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I mean it's a little more complicated than that (he basically suffers a near-suicidal breakdown), but oooof that movie's premise is so rough. They really should've avoided that whole issue entirely and maybe had something where his attempts to break into the bridge cause the malfunction (possibly because he was accessing her manifest at the time or something) rather than it being a direct action on his part, because asking the audience to accept that she'd just fall in love with him after what was essentially a death sentence is hosed up.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
He should have just woken everyone up, no gods no masters!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Here's a question though - in a situation where the ship recognizes that poo poo is breaking down, why aren't there emergency tech personnel on board that are woken up whenever something goes wrong, even if it's just a 'well, we checked the systems and it's minor enough for the computer to fix it' - or, in this specific case, to fix malfunctioning pods and such.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's probably books to be written on how romcoms in particular and stock romantic subplots in general romanticise and idealise all kinds of incredibly hosed up behaviour. At the very least, certainly a lot of 'You only have exactly one True Love and unless you obsessively and exclusively pursue them until they finally realise you are The One you will be alone and miserable for the rest of your life'.

I really like a couple of 90’s Matthew Broderick movies for avoiding this pitfall: The Night We Never Met and Addicted To Love. Not high art or anything, but they both have that to recommend them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Morpheus posted:

Here's a question though - in a situation where the ship recognizes that poo poo is breaking down, why aren't there emergency tech personnel on board that are woken up whenever something goes wrong, even if it's just a 'well, we checked the systems and it's minor enough for the computer to fix it' - or, in this specific case, to fix malfunctioning pods and such.
*Ryan George voice*
Because otherwise the movie doesn't happen!

*Other Ryan George voice*
Oh, I'd like the movie to happen!