Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What is Picross and is it worth burning 1000 My Nintendo platinum points to get a Zelda-themed version of it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Picross is an addictive puzzle game where you must use logic to deduce which squares on a grid are to be filled in. Eventually you make a picture on the grid. Like of a kitten or something. It is challenging but quite fun, I recommend picross in general, especially if made by Jupiter.

There are a lot of picross players in the switch thread that will recommend it (there are picross games on switch as well). I dont know about the twilight princess picross, what I've heard is its fairly basic picross with a zelda skin. So I'm sure its perfectly serviceable.

Theres a pokemon freemium picross game on 3ds of you want to try it out

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The SNES Picross game on the Switch is my go-to game whenever I am stuck in a waiting room for hours like when I need to take my car in.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Also the best picross game ever made is on the 3DS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r_JeMKf2N0

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If I have 0 Platinum Coins right now, what's the easiest way to get 1000 to get the Zelda Picross game?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

C-Euro posted:

If I have 0 Platinum Coins right now, what's the easiest way to get 1000 to get the Zelda Picross game?

Easiest way would probably be playing Fire Emblem Heroes if you haven't already. Otherwise check if there are any missions available that you haven't done yet

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

What is Picross and is it worth burning 1000 My Nintendo platinum points to get a Zelda-themed version of it?

It's pretty much the only real game available on there, so absolutely. It was my gateway to a total Picross addiction; I've since bought and played most of the Picross titles available on 3DS and Switch.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Does anyone regularly use the 3D effect on their 3DS? The few friends I’ve talked to rarely use it, and I myself am beginning to turn it off in games like Link Between Worlds, as it can get distracting in combat. And for reference, I’m using a New 3DS XL.

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
I have the 3D slider at max constantly. Was disappointed that games later in the 3DS life cycle stopped having the 3D effect on.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I always use it unless it really makes a game’s framerate chug. I have amblyopia but the 3DS’ stereoscopic 3D effect is the only 3D effect that’s ever worked for me.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Some more 3ds sales if anyone cares: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/03/shinen-kicks-off-everything-must-go-3ds-and-wii-u-eshop-sale-up-to-80percent-off

quote:

Nano Assault EX (3DS) $1.99
Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH! (3DS) $1.99
Jett Rocket 2: The Wrath of Taikai (3DS) $1.99
Art of Balance TOUCH! (3DS) $1.99

Only notable title seems to be Nano Assault EX which thankfully has a demo.

Does anyone use a protective shell for their 3ds? Are they worth it? What about silicone plugs to protect stuff like the charging port or headphone jack?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have the Club Nintendo 3DS pouch and I just toss it in there when I'm not using it and seems fine

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

i just use a ziploc quart size bag and that’s always worked great for me

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ryuga Death posted:

Some more 3ds sales if anyone cares: https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2022/03/shinen-kicks-off-everything-must-go-3ds-and-wii-u-eshop-sale-up-to-80percent-off

Only notable title seems to be Nano Assault EX which thankfully has a demo.

Does anyone use a protective shell for their 3ds? Are they worth it? What about silicone plugs to protect stuff like the charging port or headphone jack?

Mine just lives on the vertical charging dock.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I found the clear snap on hardshell case on clearance for 2 bucks in gamestop once and just use that. I think I might have accidentally gotten a scratch on the 3ds before I got the case from it rattling around in my purse? It's been so long since I've had occasion to use it that I don't remember.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I have a bad history with hardshell cases they seem to cause more scratches than they prevent

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Thinking about it I'm half sure that the scratch was the reason I got it in the first place, and I happened to time it right when OG XL accessories were on deep discount because New 3DS was the current hotness. It's a clear one so it nicely shows the crud that's accumulated underneath the edges, plus the case itself has stress fractures from hits and needing to pop off the bottom to use the circle pad pro.

All this because the zip up case I got was too bulky for said purse, lol. That and I used to jam it in my back pocket for walks. Gotta get dem coins!

Edit: The case served its purpose, but I've kinda accepted that my 3DS in general probably isn't gonna last forever like my Gameboys.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 16, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

C-Euro posted:

Check out the available challenges, there are a ton for poking around and finding hidden objects on Nintendo websites.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think you can get some easy platinum coins from their mobile games (except for MK Tour for some reason and I guess the Dr Mario one because they shut that down)

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Are those coins legit? I always thought they were special coins that you can only use in the respective game or something

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You use them for rewards on My Nintendo.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Are those coins legit? I always thought they were special coins that you can only use in the respective game or something

They're black market, sure, but spend just as well as the rest

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Huh I thought if you earned say animal crossing platinum points you had to spend it in the animal crossing app, didn't realize they worked in the my nintendo store

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Huh I thought if you earned say animal crossing platinum points you had to spend it in the animal crossing app, didn't realize they worked in the my nintendo store

Yup, they all get added to your platinum points total.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

chaosapiant posted:

Does anyone regularly use the 3D effect on their 3DS? The few friends I’ve talked to rarely use it, and I myself am beginning to turn it off in games like Link Between Worlds, as it can get distracting in combat. And for reference, I’m using a New 3DS XL.

I just got Link Between World's and had to turn it way down/off because it was making me feel a bit sick. It works pretty well with the game though.

More than anything, I'd have really loved to see an FFVI remake in the style of Octopath Traveler on the system, think it could have been a real killer app.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Do we discuss hacking here? I formatted a SD card with fat32, 32kb clusters, and I guess it's supposed to be 64kb clusters. One emulator is hanging multiple times a minute, and a couple programs didn't appear to install after download. Are these problems related and should I start over?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Mescal posted:

Do we discuss hacking here? I formatted a SD card with fat32, 32kb clusters, and I guess it's supposed to be 64kb clusters. One emulator is hanging multiple times a minute, and a couple programs didn't appear to install after download. Are these problems related and should I start over?

Hacking thread is here, they seem like they know what they're talking about :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Anybody up for playing Triforce Heroes online? I've played through maybe 20% with my nephews, but we kind of petered out. I really enjoyed what I played though and I'm curious what else is in the game. It would be fun to play with some other first timers where we're all discovering and figuring out puzzles together. Less fun when there's an experienced player wearing the best gear and spamming OVER HERE so they can zip through or whatever.

From what I've played the game almost has an overcooked vibe of pandemonium and confusion first time, then you begin to understand and assign duties and before long your team is a well oiled machine. Coming up with strategies together was half the fun.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hacking thread is here, they seem like they know what they're talking about :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Anybody up for playing Triforce Heroes online? I've played through maybe 20% with my nephews, but we kind of petered out. I really enjoyed what I played though and I'm curious what else is in the game. It would be fun to play with some other first timers where we're all discovering and figuring out puzzles together. Less fun when there's an experienced player wearing the best gear and spamming OVER HERE so they can zip through or whatever.

From what I've played the game almost has an overcooked vibe of pandemonium and confusion first time, then you begin to understand and assign duties and before long your team is a well oiled machine. Coming up with strategies together was half the fun.

Where do you live? No joke I'd buy it right now if you're in Europe. That goes for anyone.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Where do you live? No joke I'd buy it right now if you're in Europe. That goes for anyone.

I'm in the good ol' U S of A :911: (CST). But I'd be available for odd hours Fridays and Saturdays...

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I'm in the good ol' U S of A :911: (CST). But I'd be available for odd hours Fridays and Saturdays...

Hm... That's a 7 hour time difference. I have Fridays off so that helps. But either I join up between 11 pm- 2 am or 4pm- 7pm CST. Or you go from 11pm- 2 am CST and I'm up on Saturday morning between 6am and 9 am. Or anywhere in between. Of course.

What's wild is that I'm not opposed. Do we have a third though?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

What's wild is that I'm not opposed. Do we have a third though?

I actually picked up Triforce Heroes a couple weeks ago as part of a bulk buy and haven't tried it yet either (similar lack of 3DS-havers among my friends). I'm in Australia though :negative:

If we did want to give it a go, I've got a standing gaming session with a mate who lives overseas from 2:30-5 AEST on Saturday afternoons, so right before that (say, noon to 2:30 Australian time) would work really well for me. We've got daylight savings coming up on 1 April fwiw.

I've also got two weeks off coming up in late April, where I could be a bit more flexible.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I actually picked up Triforce Heroes a couple weeks ago as part of a bulk buy and haven't tried it yet either (similar lack of 3DS-havers among my friends). I'm in Australia though :negative:

If we did want to give it a go, I've got a standing gaming session with a mate who lives overseas from 2:30-5 AEST on Saturday afternoons, so right before that (say, noon to 2:30 Australian time) would work really well for me. We've got daylight savings coming up on 1 April fwiw.

I've also got two weeks off coming up in late April, where I could be a bit more flexible.

2 am- 3:30 am (12 noon for you) for me would be hard. I'm just not that young these days...

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

I’m in the US, and I’d be up for trying it out sometime. I’ve only played it once a couple of years ago.

I wouldn’t be free to for another week though, I’m about to go on vacation.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

So I was doing a quick search to look up something else about the game and of course, it's not cross-region compatible, either online or locally.

That kinda throws things open a bit; I think that means 100YrsofAttitude and I could play together (EU and Australia being the same region?), but not with Gandalf21 or WHY BONER NOW who are North America. So I guess we have two sets of goons looking to get a game going.

Worth noting there's a "Download Play" option for people who don't have the game, seems the only limitation is not having all the cosmetics unlockable.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Nintendo is loving us again! I had no idea about the region lock. So yeah, we have an EU/AUS group of 2 looking for 1 more, and a NA group looking for 1 more.

I believe the download play is referring to local players, so if you have a friend in the same room, they can download play off of you. I don't know if they can use the download play for an online session, though.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I picked up X-Scape, a DSiWare title that I'd only heard about from this video. Besides the great art style (which reminds me of Virtual Boy), I was drawn in by the soundtrack—as you destroy tanks in the Freeroam portion, the music starts to slap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmGYk72SS7E&t=4595s

Feels cinematic, cool to play in the dark

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s a sequel to a very impressive Japan only Game Boy game called X. I’ll still never understand why it didn’t come out here back then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LETr1NoteMM

Spellman
May 31, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s a sequel to a very impressive Japan only Game Boy game called X. I’ll still never understand why it didn’t come out here back then.

Yea, I hadn't seen much of X before this investigation, but, I do remember it being the first game to hide Totaka's Song, which appeared in many games there after

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwyp09J9Z2U

Spellman fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Mar 29, 2022

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Dunno if anyone has the special version of Final Fantasy 1 from the Japanese eShop, but if you do then apparently it's gotten a full translation patch-
https://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/titjc2/final_fantasy_1_3ds_is_now_fully_playable_in/

Wish they had brought this stateside...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet. I’ll try that on mine. I always thought that version looked cool and wondered why it didn’t get a release.