Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: The Gabriel Set-Up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
New Trail has appeal as a general comedy-adventure strip but can't really stick the landing, or the general story telling, or holy poo poo that 4th panel.

New Nancy, do that! That was great! More of that, please.

And come on Phantom, do it!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo

Make a storyline where Kit jr. becomes a ruthless vigilante and his Phantom sister must take him down

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Tiggum posted:

What is the target audience for new Mark Trail? Who is this for? Does it just exist to piss people off? Because it's not good, but it's also not bad in a fun way. And it's thrown out almost everything that anyone liked about the old version (whether genuinely or ironically).
The target audience is younger comic readers. They picked a reasonably successful webcomic artist (but not successful enough to be expensive) with progressive opinions on hot topics. So she'd write stuff interesting to a reasonable audience and occasionally raise hot controversial issues for publicity.

I don't think the problem with new Mark Trail is that it's inherently bad. Rivera has good ideas and intentions, just with really sloppy executions. She has interesting cinematic layouts, but then doesn't put in the effort to make consistent models for the characters. I think the ideas for the plots are good, but then she botches her research (like with zebra mussels, where the problem is ballast water, not hull hitch-hikers) and leaves big plot holes and lame resolutions.

I think the problem is that she needs an editor to say "hey, can you redo this" but in this day a comic writer must be their own editor and judging by her Twitter feed she's too arrogant to be her own editor.

Edit: and jeez, those 4th panel dialogue boxes! Can't she see they're almost always bad? Everybody else does!

curtadams fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 29, 2022

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Very goony quibble, but I hate how thick the linework is in Mark Trail; it makes everything seem that much cruder when the art is already shaky.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Very goony quibble, but I hate how thick the linework is in Mark Trail; it makes everything seem that much cruder when the art is already shaky.

this! it genuinely has the feeling of modern mandrake the linework is so smudged and thick

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

davidspackage posted:

Holy poo poo

Make a storyline where Kit jr. becomes a ruthless vigilante and his Phantom sister must take him down

This will just lead to Kit jr. being jailed and the Phantom going to save him, only for an even older Mozz to appear and say she can't do it cause it will affect the fate of her child leading to another what if storyline trapping us all in a loop for eternity.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Vise the Stompy posted:

This will just lead to Kit jr. being jailed and the Phantom going to save him, only for an even older Mozz to appear and say she can't do it cause it will affect the fate of her child leading to another what if storyline trapping us all in a loop for eternity.

Mozz is actually a spirit who comes to each phantom and tries to make their children as boring as possible. Maybe Mr. Thirty-whatever will be the one to finally break the curse.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Drimble Wedge posted:

I think this is what my biggest issue with it is, yeah. Even when the storytelling is clever it's kinda offset by the thick linework preventing much in the way of detail.

It's still a better strip than Jam Esallen Trail (if only because it's not 90% clipart) but drat Jules, decrease your brush size by like, 20% and do a bit of hatching on your backgrounds and shadowed areas.

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Drimble Wedge posted:

There was a period of a couple weeks where she was using thinner lines and it did really improve things.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Drimble Wedge posted:

Like the cartoon Archer, if it was drawn by an 87 year old

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

this isn't a joke, this is just a normal annoying thing that happens when your internet goes down! why are you acting like it's a punchline!!! why am i still getting mad about dustin in 2022!!!!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will say, about FOOB: while we know Lynn is not a good mom or person and there is so much to loving unpack in her comic when it comes to her living family, her portrayal of Lawrence was pretty drat amazing for something in the 90s. As posted above, Ellen wasn't out yet, the only gay person I had ever heard of (and I wasn't raised in a religious household) was Elton John. I do remember people freaking out about The Birdcage movie, which came out later.

Lawrence isn't shown as a sissy or creepy, as most people implied or said outright that gay people were. He's a normal kid who just wants his friend to still be his friend. poo poo, I was almost a teenager in the 90s and I remember the worst thing you could be called was gay or lesbian, and once someone said you were, the name stuck. If you were a girl, no girl would talk to you, and likewise with the boys if someone indicated you were gay.

Now of course if she made Lawrence gay in the comic when her own son was out, and she just wanted to look progressive/have Lawrence be a peace offering while she maintained the FOOB family perfection of her mind, that's another thing. But the story is cringe today, but nowhere near as bad as it could have been. gently caress, there's still kids being disowned for being gay, and those loving conversion camps still exist.

it would be loving nice to live in a world where you telling someone you're gay doesn't result in them treating you different. I don't know if we're entirely there yet. And at the time of this comic, we certainly were not.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! April 10, 1919

Outbursts of Everett True April 11, 1919

Cat Tales March 16, 1925

Oaky Doaks September 19, 1936

Mopsy November 27, 1937

Up Front February 26, 1945

Bootsie’s Big ‘50s

So It Seems June 9, 1952

Those Were the Days September 10, 1959

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVZ7snUGfI

Wee Pals June 11, 1966

Dogbert February 16, 1967

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Big Nate Year 1 (Feb 10-11, 1991)

Old School Peanuts (Jun 14, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Nov 23-24, 1990)

No Blind Alley today

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Rootless Market

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days September 10, 1959

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biVZ7snUGfI

Well that wasn't LT Riley

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (June 30 and July 2, 1934)

Peanuts (March 31-April 1, 1975)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (October 27-28, 1938)

Out Our Way (June 20-22, 1938)

Toonerville Folks (November 25-27, 1918)

Dok's "Our Hero's Going Up In The World" Duck (January 9, 1914; spoilered for a tableful of racial stereotypes.)

Little Lefty (April 2-4, 1936)

And this is where Sunday would go if that section of the paper hadn't gone missing from the scans...

And once again, Blondie takes the hit for expediency's sake.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Nekonaughey

[Napolitan is a ketchup-based spaghetti dish]

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Anxiety

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

EasyEW posted:

Peanuts (March 31-April 1, 1975)

what's wrong with your faaaaace

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Ghostlight posted:

Nekonaughey

[Napolitan is a ketchup-based spaghetti dish]

One of the rare times I am glad that misfortune came upon Nekonaughey.

And in today's truncated Blueberry: Blueberry continues to be upset at Vigo, or ...I don't think the band's coming back together from this 'un, or Blueberry gets upsset at MacPherson

...and so ends the adventure of Chihuahua Pearl! Everything was for naught, and our hero is jailed, effectively for life! But if you think Blueberry is the kind of man who assumes that because something is law it is ethical, then you have another thing coming (or you are a centrist). So join me next time, won't you? For a more regularly updated schedule and our new adventure, Outlaw!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

What is this?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Oh, this is brilliant.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Murdstone posted:

What is this?
God okay this is a real thing that exists and was "popular" when I was still working in movie theaters and before the pandemic. Basically pre-show trailer and commercial rundowns embraced the idea of putting augmented-reality apps on the market place so you could do phone stuff while waiting for the movie to begin. That one in particular is an arcade app where during pre-set times during the pre-film show, the show will transition into a shmup where the content being projected can be interacted with using your phone as a controller/gamepad to shoot at the incoming alien ships and such. It's like fifteen seconds long per level and the idea is you'll use the app and pay attention to it and the show and they can harvest data and stuff while throwing you a bone to play with every now and again.

https://www.noovie.com/arcade

It's, y'know, a lovely and cheap gimmick to give people something to do while waiting for a film in the age of phones to get them to watch ads instead of doing literally anything else on your phone.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Classic Arlo and Janis (April 22, 2000)

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drimble Wedge posted:

It straight up looks like she colors in her prelim sketches.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Giant Ethicist posted:

Rootless Market
The author really likes that short two tooth guy, don't they? 6th panel, right side. That's the second time I've spotted him in this story already. :v:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

No new Buni today.

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/29/02

Brenda Starr 6/13/48

Smokey Stover 1/12/47

Everyday Movies 12/28/34

"I hope Santa Claus doesn't come and take my doll away like the furniture man did with the furniture."

Depression-era funnies, everyone!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Yeah but wait. So the guy became a mouse and looks like a man-shaped mouse, but a snake has become a mouse and has no snake-like physical qualities. And I think when he was a man, he kinda looked like a snake-man as well? How the hell does this work?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
I don't remember the FOOB Lawrence storyline from back when, so I'm curious to see how it goes. For sure the unavoidable issue is that what made sense in 1993 doesn't thirty years later, so the strip pretending to take place now makes Michael seem like a huge rear end in a top hat.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

YES!

:getin:

Drimble Wedge posted:

I've had the same thought. Thick lines, and used for almost everything. It makes the art look like it was done in MS Paint. I want to like New Trail but it really needs some polishing.

sweetguts posted:

this isn't a joke, this is just a normal annoying thing that happens when your internet goes down! why are you acting like it's a punchline!!! why am i still getting mad about dustin in 2022!!!!!

The solution is to disconnect your phone from the wifi network so it'll load the website with the cell signal instead. :geno:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 02, 1950)

Being kind of unfair to Aleta there, Hal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah but wait. So the guy became a mouse and looks like a man-shaped mouse, but a snake has become a mouse and has no snake-like physical qualities. And I think when he was a man, he kinda looked like a snake-man as well? How the hell does this work?
magic Science!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Luann

Thank goodness he has his "DAD" mug to drink out of, otherwise he might forget who he is (Not to mention the reader)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The snake mouse has a snake tongue that he sticks all the way down the mongoose mouse's throat which is why she likes making out with him and I am not making this up

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

:thanks:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

"Oh, he sent me a picture!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Calaveron posted:

The snake mouse has a snake tongue that he sticks all the way down the mongoose mouse's throat which is why she likes making out with him and I am not making this up

I am glad Holbrook knows one or two, max, traits about these animals.

Otherwise his snakemouse would have two penises, as that is what snakes have.