Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

nwin posted:

Let’s talk water testing! :can:

What do we think?

But did you taste the water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

One of the most comprehensive radon studies performed in the US by Dr. R. William Field and colleagues found a 50% increased lung cancer risk even at the protracted exposures at the EPA's action level of 4 pCi/L. North American and European pooled analyses further support these findings.[133] However, the discussion about the opposite results is still continuing,[134][135][136] especially a 2008 retrospective case-control study of lung cancer risk which showed substantial cancer rate reduction for radon concentrations between 50 and 123 Bq/m3.[137]

I don't know much of anything about radon, to preface this. I'm curious how studies can show 4 pCi/L = 50% increase in lung cancer, but then the acceptable level for water can be 1,250X that level. Is "in water you drink" vs "in air you breathe" that substantial a difference in toxicity?

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

nwin posted:

Let’s talk water testing! :can:

What do we think?

Did you taste it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBAhguHnIJY&t=60s

Dammit, beaten. I missed the new page.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sundae posted:

I don't know much of anything about radon, to preface this. I'm curious how studies can show 4 pCi/L = 50% increase in lung cancer, but then the acceptable level for water can be 1,250X that level. Is "in water you drink" vs "in air you breathe" that substantial a difference in toxicity?

Inhaled radiation tends to be acutely toxic, especially for something like lung cancer. I don't know why but I know that kicking up dust is a huge problem for containment of radiation. I imagine that you tend to pass a lot of if through your system (good luck kidneys and intestines!) but your lungs it just sits there and decays forever.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Sundae posted:

I would assume, since we're talking about lung cancer, that there's a very different risk between breathing radon and drinking radon.

Not to say it couldn't cause other issues, or that there isn't some weird mechanism at play, but it would seem odd to me that something you drink has a lung cancer risk associated with it.

But honestly I don't know much about radon either so :shrug:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I mean you also breath significantly more air than you drink per day. Even accounting for breathing in some vapor, it might even out at those numbers?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Sundae posted:

The cancer risk is due to radiation, and water is very effective at absorbing energetic particles while air is not. Also, you are always breathing, but not always drinking tap water. There are probably some number of cancer deaths (but probably not lung cancer) caused by radon in drinking water, it's just a lot less dangerous.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The issue with Radon in drinking water is not a health effect from drinking, but rather, health effects from breathing it after it gets transferred to, say, your clothes in a washing machine, or turned to a fine mist in the shower where you breathe some in.

Google is telling me that some researchers estimate that at 10,000 pico curies per liter (pCi/L) in your water, you get about 1 pCi/L in the air. The average amount in the air is already about 1.3 pCi/L indoors, and about 0.4 outdoors.

So my guess from a few minutes of reading is that 3374 pCi/L in your water (after treatment) is below a level of concern. I would want to compare to pre-treatment test samples, though, because if your treatment method is an active carbon filter, and you had very high radon pre-filter, you could be concentrating radon in your filter cartridge and need to know how to deal with that cartridge safely when its time to dispose it?

But that's also a poorly-informed guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

My take away is you need to make sure you use a fluoride toothpaste.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

spwrozek posted:

My take away is you need to make sure you use a fluoride toothpaste.

That’s all I’m getting out of it too/ it’s a well, so I guess it makes sense since fluoride is often added to city water.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

H110Hawk posted:

That's some hot water you've got there! :dadjoke:

rad joke

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

What is a buyers agent actually supposed to do? I sort of feel like mine could be replaced by a machine and nothing of value would be lost at this point, literally all they do is unlock doors and provide me with the forms to fill out to make an offer. Maybe their value is supposed to come after an offer is accepted and that's fine, but I feel like they should be able to, I dunno... give me some sort of information that might be useful in helping to decide whether I should buy a specific home and what kind of offer I should be making?

I am finally in the housing market (covid fear made it untenable for the mrs for a while) and :barf: timing but hey I can maybe contribute to the thread a bit.

I used to work in mortgage banking, have sold hundreds of homes, did mbs, loan pricing, closing, funding, title work, literally photoshopped out the first iteration of a leading lender's "new" closing disclosure form. I routinely ate inexperienced realtors for breakfast.

And so here I am, talking to realtors this week as a buyer, not because I need their expertise at all. But because if I try and remove the realtor - chances are high I get hosed. Why? Cause everyone needs their piece of the pie.

That said, a realtor can be great value. Me knowing how to shift costs post offer accepted doesn't really matter as a homebuyer - I'm on the outside. My realtor can do that though. Feeding off a contingency chain could land me a discount - something again a buyer's realtor can do. Rates are increasing, if I want my loan officer to plead for a discount - having a buyer's realtor increases the chances. Doubly so if I use one of their recommendations.

Most realtors, especially in hot markets (Seattle, Cali) will be lazy af though. Put in the effort to find a shark that will fight for you - make your goals align - you put in the legwork for searching, pre approval w/ underwriting complet(ish), they put in the work to close it fast and make sure your offer is accepted.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

very good advice

My realtor is extremely good. We found her through asking our friends who they used (and liked) and immediately eliminated every recommendation from someone recommending their friend or family member. We've used her on two buys now and will probably use her as a listing agent too. During a showing, she saw a glue trap sticking out underneath the garage water heater and fished around for it to check it for mouse or scorpion. She's got a very good sense of what a fair price is, is a good negotiator, and is completely unafraid to tell us that we can probably do better than this house for our budget. She even warned us about a few listings, either because they were grossly overpriced, had suspicious circumstances around listing, or were previously owned by a company known for doing shoddy low-effort flips.

I discovered as an adult and homeowner that when you find someone who's good at their job and priced right, you gotta add them to your Network Of Guys. Plumbing guy, A/C guy, car mechanic guy, etc. And all those Guys have their own Guys they use for stuff personally or professionally, and if you're lucky the Pool Guy will refer you to your state's best Tree Guy that you'd never find on your own (an old man with an antique chainsaw who hasn't done any advertising since the yellow pages were a thing)

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

canyoneer posted:

your state's best Tree Guy that you'd never find on your own (an old man with an antique chainsaw who hasn't done any advertising since the yellow pages were a thing)

This is the thing with "the guys" you want: they already have enough work. Them taking you on is a favor both from them as well as the person who referred you because now if you're a pain in the rear end customer they will take the flak for it. These "guys" don't need to advertise, its word of mouth only, and you often need to be really flexible on time if it's possible to do that.

My tree guys in particular are like this. They have come by with almost no notice because some other job cancelled due to broken/unavailable equipment to get things done because they know they can just do that. They appreciate the fill in work. They were a recommendation from a data center DC power distribution guy I know.......you just never know who you're gonna find how.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Having a network sounds important. Welp, back to drinking alone in my apartment I guess.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
bullet dodged. the condo my wife wanted has countered 90k above asking after receiving 7 offers for 80k over asking. it'll sell for twice what it was bought for in 2018.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ammanas posted:

bullet dodged. the condo my wife wanted has countered 90k above asking after receiving 7 offers for 80k over asking. it'll sell for twice what it was bought for in 2018.

Since you know you're not going to live there, want to post the Redfin? If not no worries. Curious which market too.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Inner Light posted:

Since you know you're not going to live there, want to post the Redfin? If not no worries. Curious which market too.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3672-Gold-Creek-Ln-Sacramento-CA-95827/25864780_zpid/

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jesus wept, that poo poo would be like a million plus in my immediate area.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Yeah, here's a 2/2 with the same square footage near me: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/243-Ada-Ave-Felton-CA-95018/16150241_zpid/

My favorite part is the aerial photos.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Yeah, here's a 2/2 with the same square footage near me: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/243-Ada-Ave-Felton-CA-95018/16150241_zpid/

Tarps are... a kind of roof.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

moana posted:

Looks like that giant white arrow did some damage when it crashed into it

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
But it comes with a free car! Steal of a deal, I tell you.

Magicaljesus
Oct 18, 2006

Have you ever done this trick before?

moana posted:

The listing photos appear to be doubling as disclosure docs. Can't say they didn't warn us.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pollyanna posted:

Jesus wept, that poo poo would be like a million plus in my immediate area.

guten tag

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/146-Chandler-St-APT-1-Boston-MA-02116/59164902_zpid/

$1.395 (and no parking, pool, etc)

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Totally sustainable and normal.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

19 o'clock posted:

Totally sustainable and normal.

These listings are making me really appreciate what I have and really sad for anybody who doesn't already have a house.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Getting similar sticker shock here in CH. I'm looking to buy in maybe a year, a 2-bed in the city is about 1.2 and a 3-bed is 1.7+

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Tremors posted:

These listings are making me really appreciate what I have and really sad for anybody who doesn't already have a house.

May I join your family I’ll pay whatever rent family members have to pay to have housing these days.

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Getting a little worried about rising rates. I have 20% saved as a down payment and am targeting homes around 700k. Unfortunately prices have floated up to ~750k+ in our desired neighborhood which would have been doable at <3% rates but now is untenable at >5%. My real estate agent is convinced that prices will come back down over the summer as some of the demand pressure eases. Fortunately our lease doesn't end until September and I'm researching short-term rental options in our area.

I'm hoping our market follows the same trend as last-year where prices were red-hot during the first quarter of the calendar year but then you started seeing a ton of price cuts through the summer as demand subsided with lots of homes sitting on the market for awhile late summer through the fall. Fingers crossed. Our area has pretty good real estate turnover due to being near the pentagon and another base. All of the military officers I've met love buying homes to live in for only 2-3 years which I suppose makes sense when you receive a housing subsidy (and home prices only increase!).

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

$1.4m for a place with bars on every window and door, lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

egyptian rat race posted:

$1.4m for a place with bars on every window and door, lol

very normal here, everyone's ground floor windows are directly on the sidewalk

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The good news is that absolutely nobody is required to live in Back Bay, thank god.

I’m expanding my search area and criteria to get a better sense of what I want in a house past not wanting to deal with the really annoying poo poo (replacing a roof, rewiring, outright knocking walls down), and the greater Boston area just makes me so very sad.

Speaking of, would it be okay if I think out loud in this thread? Share my process and journey from “I think I’d like to buy” all the way to closing?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 30, 2022

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of, would it be okay if I think out loud in this thread? Share my process and journey from “I think I’d like to buy” all the way to closing?

:justpost:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

The good news is that absolutely nobody is required to live in Back Bay, thank god.

I’m expanding my search area and criteria to get a better sense of what I want in a house past not wanting to deal with the really annoying poo poo (replacing a roof, rewiring, outright knocking walls down), and the greater Boston area just makes me so very sad.

that's the South End

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whoops, I can’t read for poo poo today :downs:

Well if you insist!!!

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Haven't you been doing that the past month?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo someone accepted one of my offers I wasn't prepared for this

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GlyphGryph posted:

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo someone accepted one of my offers I wasn't prepared for this

Now the real fun starts.

Condolences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
It's the single most expensive offer I made, at the very top of my budget range, and I only made it because it's 7 bedrooms and if I rent even two of them out I still come ahead financially over getting the others (also I absolutely love everything about the place including the location). And I desperately miss living with roommates, getting a place where I could have them was a big part of what I was looking for.

But now I also need to run the numbers again and make sure I can actually, no questions ask, afford it even if that doesn't happen, and I need to do that before mailing the check later today. Because as nice as having roommates again will be, and as bad as I want it, I need to make sure I'm not hosed if I can't make it work. Last time I ran the numbers it looked fine, but now I have more information so its time to run them again.

this is real, it's really happening, I'm terrified hahah