Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Nea posted:

Thanks, everyone. I know it's mostly.about thee strength and flexibility - honestly, that's fine, because walking and running and all.the poo poo I need to do to start down the path of busing stamina to do things puts me in a lot of pain right now, and this should at least reduce the pain and make it easier to do that.

Do people usually do the DVDs or the apps or what have you? What's been working for folks?

I just did the DVDs, but I bought them before the app was out. I understand that the app has a lot more potential variety since they keep putting up new workouts on it, but of course, that's a subscription cost versus a one-time payment.

I lost 50 pounds over six months and helped strength and flexibility, including rehabbing to some degree a bad knee. But keep in mind that the weight loss is largely dependent on diet plan, too. DDP gives you a diet plan and some of it is kind of nuts, but there's tiers to it and you can work off a less restrictive tier or just come up with your own reasonable diet plan. The point being, I guess, that DDPY is great for general strength, flexibility, and getting you moving and more active in general, and does have a pretty good calorie burn per hour if you engage right, but it's not so intense that it's going to outwork eating a ton of garbage every day. But one thing I've found is that when I work out more regularly I naturally eat better, just because I don't want to waste and counteract all the effort I just put in.

The main thing that made it work for me was being able to do it at home, at any time, with minimal setup. Consistency is a main key to any exercise program, and with a job that is sometimes long hours or really stressful, it was easy for me to be too tired to go to the gym or to drag out a bunch of exercise equipment. Being able to come home and all I had to do was roll out the yoga mat and pop in the DVD -- there were less excuses to avoid getting my workout in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I don’t know what the objective best match of the year so far is but it’s without a doubt one of Zack’s from this years NJC

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Nea posted:

Even though I know this is advertising lie, it's still really sweet. I don't know. I've been struggling a lot this last year and gained about a hundred pounds since I quit a job that kept me standing eight hours a day.

I feel you. I haven't been able to go to the gym in well over a year due to the hosed up COVID situation in Finland, and I've also put on a bunch of weight. It just sneaks up on you and then one day you wake up to it and have a mountain to climb.

DDP's yoga is good, I did an early version of the program like 15 years ago or something. At least back then many of the poses had slightly comical names because dudes can't do a move called Downward Dog or whatever, but if you call the same move Reaching Warrior or something, then it's loving rad. But if you can get past that very minor hurdle it's a good program for getting the benefits of yoga. And of course for us dudes of gravity, it's also a good workout holding those poses. As a former hockey / floorball goalie who used to be pretty flexible, regularly stretching your body thoroughly does WONDERS for your general wellbeing. Everything just feels easier and lighter.

E: and also once you get into it and get the poses down, the meditative effects of yoga aren't to be sneezed at. At least for me just focusing on a purely physical activity like weight lifting, yoga or stretching is a big part of good mental health. Maybe it'll work for you as well.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Mar 29, 2022

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Dancing Peasant posted:

If you’re going to come out like that, at least do it face-to-face and not via text message

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wow you suck

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NienNunb posted:

I don’t know what the objective best match of the year so far is but it’s without a doubt one of Zack’s from this years NJC

Eddie/Jericho for me but fair shout

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

kenta/sugiura/sakuraba vs kitamiya/inaba/inamura from noah the new year

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

NienNunb posted:

Sammy Guevara vs Tay Conti for the TNT title

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I feel you. I haven't been able to go to the gym in well over a year due to the hosed up COVID situation in Finland, and I've also put on a bunch of weight. It just sneaks up on you and then one day you wake up to it and have a mountain to climb.

DDP's yoga is good, I did an early version of the program like 15 years ago or something. At least back then many of the poses had slightly comical names because dudes can't do a move called Downward Dog or whatever, but if you call the same move Reaching Warrior or something, then it's loving rad. But if you can get past that very minor hurdle it's a good program for getting the benefits of yoga. And of course for us dudes of gravity, it's also a good workout holding those poses. As a former hockey / floorball goalie who used to be pretty flexible, regularly stretching your body thoroughly does WONDERS for your general wellbeing. Everything just feels easier and lighter.

E: and also once you get into it and get the poses down, the meditative effects of yoga aren't to be sneezed at. At least for me just focusing on a purely physical activity like weight lifting, yoga or stretching is a big part of good mental health. Maybe it'll work for you as well.

I’ve spent money on worse things (I just bought a couple hundred bucks in 486 parts on eBay), I think I’ll give it a go.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

No this wasn’t a prompt the answer I gave was the correct one.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If anyone feels like they've gone beyond DDPY conditioning wise and want something a little more challenging, this 5 minute workout will make you hate me more than my posts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKqE6qGlJ_0&t=31s

Also if you want Jade abs.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Buff's redemption story has no chill

https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1508971941918658560?s=20&t=L-LSxZFGcareGGKLQonAGA

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Buff is going to blockbuster the invisible man

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/JANELABABY/status/1508986757521543168

*runs to youtube, finds literally nothing*

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
That's the TF2 Engineer with no hat...

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thats the guy from the cover of Van Halen III

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

That’s a minion

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Ganso Bomb posted:

Unrelated but don't want to double-post – I didn't realize Zack Sabre Jr got muscles. Heard Alvarez mention it yesterday and it's been a while since I've watched New Japan, but he really looks like he's bulking up for a heavyweight title run.

He’s basically been the steadiest gaijin in the company since the pandemic (helps that he lives there and didn’t injure himself in these past few years), the crowd adores him, he’s even moved beyond any face/heel dynamic at this point. I will be completely unshocked if Okada goes for a Rainmaker at Hyper Battle (side note: I do love that for the 50th, New Japan is using a show name they stopped using when the Inokis sold the promotion to Yuke’s; first time a show/tour has used Hyper Battle in eighteen years) and Sabre ducks it, grabs the arm, pulls Okada to the ground, and stretches him until Okada taps or Red Shoes stops the match while Milano or someone yells “SABRE SHOCK” over and over again.

Dude got to work the 50th Anniversary Show main event, got the first match with Shibata since 2017 ahead of even Shibata’s own young lions, the amount of faith they have in him is pretty wild. I don’t know if they’ll ever pull the trigger on a Dome main event with him, but who knows what the end of the year will look like.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Joey McChrist posted:

lmao here, its in the beginning of this vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEIUIHMveRI

Lmao thank you!

YEHHHHH HEH HEH HEH HEH HEHHHHHH
New, nuh-new, new world order!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

The Cameo posted:

He’s basically been the steadiest gaijin in the company since the pandemic (helps that he lives there and didn’t injure himself in these past few years), the crowd adores him, he’s even moved beyond any face/heel dynamic at this point. I will be completely unshocked if Okada goes for a Rainmaker at Hyper Battle (side note: I do love that for the 50th, New Japan is using a show name they stopped using when the Inokis sold the promotion to Yuke’s; first time a show/tour has used Hyper Battle in eighteen years) and Sabre ducks it, grabs the arm, pulls Okada to the ground, and stretches him until Okada taps or Red Shoes stops the match while Milano or someone yells “SABRE SHOCK” over and over again.

Dude got to work the 50th Anniversary Show main event, got the first match with Shibata since 2017 ahead of even Shibata’s own young lions, the amount of faith they have in him is pretty wild. I don’t know if they’ll ever pull the trigger on a Dome main event with him, but who knows what the end of the year will look like.

I see your ZSJ could win the IWGP title and I raise you ZSJ should win the IWGP title :colbert:

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I bought DDP yoga about 6 years ago and every day I live in fear that DDP is going to call me and ask how I'm doing when I stopped about 5 years and 6 months ago

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope when you pick up the phone he says 'it's me, it's me, it's D-D-P' :shobon:

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I just did the DVDs, but I bought them before the app was out. I understand that the app has a lot more potential variety since they keep putting up new workouts on it, but of course, that's a subscription cost versus a one-time payment.

I lost 50 pounds over six months and helped strength and flexibility, including rehabbing to some degree a bad knee. But keep in mind that the weight loss is largely dependent on diet plan, too. DDP gives you a diet plan and some of it is kind of nuts, but there's tiers to it and you can work off a less restrictive tier or just come up with your own reasonable diet plan. The point being, I guess, that DDPY is great for general strength, flexibility, and getting you moving and more active in general, and does have a pretty good calorie burn per hour if you engage right, but it's not so intense that it's going to outwork eating a ton of garbage every day. But one thing I've found is that when I work out more regularly I naturally eat better, just because I don't want to waste and counteract all the effort I just put in.

The main thing that made it work for me was being able to do it at home, at any time, with minimal setup. Consistency is a main key to any exercise program, and with a job that is sometimes long hours or really stressful, it was easy for me to be too tired to go to the gym or to drag out a bunch of exercise equipment. Being able to come home and all I had to do was roll out the yoga mat and pop in the DVD -- there were less excuses to avoid getting my workout in.

Yeah. With eating... it's hard, because I really don't know how to cook jack or poo poo so i've been eating out a lot. I tend to lose weight when i'm working no matter how i'm eating, but of course that's like, 40 hours of mild excercise versus like, practically probably like 5-6 of moderate/major exercise a week. Maybe it'd motivate me to learn to cook more. I definitely wouldn't be able to stick with the diet- i know from experience trying to calorie count just makes me hate myself enough to drop something entirely. And part of it is, admittedly, I'm a lot better portioning myself when I'm working because I tend to eat a tiny lunch at work and skip breakfast half the time, or else breakfast is like, pop tarts or something else that's like not Huge. But I'd like to learn to cook more stuff anyways. I eat less when I'm cooking.

And the minimal setup definitely helps. God knows I'd never get to the gym. For one, I would feel loving miserable exercising around thin people. For two, covid. Something I can do at home in the side room is much preferable. Maybe i'll get an elliptical if I stick with it.

I figure... I figure if I just try to focus on feeling healthy, getting rid of my back pain, and getting more flexible, that's easier and less likely to cause problems than focusing on losing weight. Losing weight is a maybe nice side effect of getting all my poo poo together health wise.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If you want to cook to lose weight, it’s very easy. You just cook chicken with some spice and some vegetables and that’s it. You could literally do it all in a pan in five minutes.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I caught the Covid-25 since working from home all the time (never thought I'd consider myself lucky to be a keyboard-toucher) meant that I got bored as poo poo and learned how to cook.

Got into DDP yoga when a buddy of mine loaned me his DVDs and at first I thought it was pretty corny (DDP is in full Inspirational Hypeman Speaker Mode the whole time) but was able to get into it rather quickly.

Once I got over the initial hump of "gently caress this, I'm extremely annoyed at the realization I've let myself go" hump it got fun because, well, I realized it's a workout curated by goddamn DDP and you don't have to take it seriously. Super informational stuff, and it doesn't feel rigid or forced whatsoever. I'd recommend it to anyone who isn't used to working out or doesn't believe they'll ever be able to get into shape because the message isn't "GET TONED GET RIPPED LOOK PERFECT", it's "hey, you're capable of being your best self!"

Social Media Content:

Dogs are the best :kimchi:

https://twitter.com/KingSerpentico/status/1508428307498418184?s=20&t=e1dOEPvODS6SJhmYaRiktg

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rarity posted:

I see your ZSJ could win the IWGP title and I raise you ZSJ should win the IWGP title :colbert:

Hell I almost just want it for the Dangerous Tekkers group hug in the ring, Taichi and Douki hoisting the boy into their shoulders while Miho keeps crying and clapping.

And Suzuki grumbling about “luck” as Zack does his backstage press conference and Suzuki-gun celebrates.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Nea posted:

Yeah. With eating... it's hard, because I really don't know how to cook jack or poo poo so i've been eating out a lot. I tend to lose weight when i'm working no matter how i'm eating, but of course that's like, 40 hours of mild excercise versus like, practically probably like 5-6 of moderate/major exercise a week. Maybe it'd motivate me to learn to cook more. I definitely wouldn't be able to stick with the diet- i know from experience trying to calorie count just makes me hate myself enough to drop something entirely. And part of it is, admittedly, I'm a lot better portioning myself when I'm working because I tend to eat a tiny lunch at work and skip breakfast half the time, or else breakfast is like, pop tarts or something else that's like not Huge. But I'd like to learn to cook more stuff anyways. I eat less when I'm cooking.

And the minimal setup definitely helps. God knows I'd never get to the gym. For one, I would feel loving miserable exercising around thin people. For two, covid. Something I can do at home in the side room is much preferable. Maybe i'll get an elliptical if I stick with it.

I figure... I figure if I just try to focus on feeling healthy, getting rid of my back pain, and getting more flexible, that's easier and less likely to cause problems than focusing on losing weight. Losing weight is a maybe nice side effect of getting all my poo poo together health wise.

Hey bud you start wherever feels right, small changes now add up to big changes later, and are more sustainable for the long term. I had to learn to cook young and taught myself from PBS shows, most of which are all on youtube. Julia Child is timeless and great for basics :)

I've been thinking about getting the DPPY if only because I'm a shambling frankenstein held together only the wonders of modern medical reconstruction. I figure if he got Lex out of a wheelchair it outta work on a guy with one working knee, one working ankle, and six (count em, 6) fingers that still bend. If nothing else my spine is, somehow, immaculate, which should make things easier once I can get my legs back under me.

For content it looks like The Good Brother is getting a repackage, got a video and everything:

https://twitter.com/ryrynemnem/status/1508996370006306820?t=K-3qB8qdtEMePM5v27YcKA

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Learning to cook has definitely been the biggest difference in helping me stay in shape in my 30s. Knowing how to knock a few recipes together really helps you stay away from processed food and you end up dropping your calorie intake without even knowing it.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Buff Bagwell discovering internet slang has been a fun ride.

https://twitter.com/Marcbuffbagwell/status/1508598755720847368

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Two pretty rad ladies

https://mobile.twitter.com/arisa__nakajima/status/1509056265791582216

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So many belts it looks like Tetsuya Nomura designed them

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The only Best Friends I recognise

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

forkboy84 posted:

The only Best Friends I recognise

Well, ever since Sena Shiori retired...

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Adding to the chorus of DDPY users/boosters, my immune system fused part of my spine together and DDPY (supplemented by more traditional yoga) has helped me stay mobile and given me a more positive relationship with my body, so I say go for it! Weight loss and other stuff is a slow, gradual process, but the mental health benefits (specifically not feeling like your body is a prison that your brain is trapped inside) happen pretty fast and they make a huge difference.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Rarity posted:

So many belts it looks like Tetsuya Nomura designed them

He did

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021

CombineThresher posted:

Adding to the chorus of DDPY users/boosters, my immune system fused part of my spine together and DDPY (supplemented by more traditional yoga)

aaah, AS I’m guessing?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Cocaine is Abel posted:

aaah, AS I’m guessing?

You are correct! It sucks! Not a lot of medication options for it either, so yoga has been a real lifesaver for me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
I can vouch for DDP Yoga. I was a steady gym rat for probably 5 years til COVID lockdown, and I don’t do well with self motivated workout plans. I vibe with DDP, tho, also being an older person with combat sports injuries, so having someone talking about what poses they used for back rehab or knee pain is refreshing. Plus he talks about modifying moves and constantly gives you permission to change or skip things that don’t work for you. I still do the Wake Up routine regularly, with a couple of extra poses because it’s pretty easy, but when I’m feeling blah, 12 minutes of easy yoga is often all I have the power to do.

The higher challenge routines have a fair amount of cardio, but you get out of them what you put into them. If you’re doing all the moves as hard as you can, you’ll get to that calorie burn stage just fine. If you’re flowing thru the motions, it’s mostly good for flexibility, rather than weight loss or cardio boosting.

I haven’t tried the nutrition side of it, but I’ve been on full scale competition diets for MMA before and it’s just a matter of finding the motivation to track my intake and be more diligent again. One of those things I know I CAN do, I just haven’t WANTED to yet. That said, I’m the best “man” in my bestie’s wedding in two months and I would like to look good in the photos…

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
definitely didn't have "wrestling twitter thread gets me to pull DDPY back out" on my calendar for the week but here we are

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I originally :files:'d it when it first came out then a couple years back I paid for the monthly account. Starting to get all sorts of weird body aches and issues lately and doctors haven't figured out what's causing them yet so maybe I just need to start doing yoga again. I've been pretty lazy since we moved into our new place, especially over winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Kevin is the best employee

https://twitter.com/Shard01464880/status/1509200254595387396