Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Hrist posted:

Here's the thing about Zelda. I haven't even watched the direct or whatever people are getting this delay from. But I have the inside info. Nintendo never releases a mainline Zelda UNLESS it's in time to be ported to he new console. It's tradition now. The first ever Switch original Zelda title will be on the next console at launch too. I didn't even need to consult the youtube puppet on this one.

That's only happened twice, and both times the new zelda was supposed to debut on a system that was selling like poo poo and they wanted to use it to prop up a more promising one's launch

The switch will have seven more mainline zeldas, and every one will be an exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Elden Ring needs a way to mark what you're looking at, a la BOTW.

Also it ripped off the 'okay mission 1: kill ganon' plot from botw, except replace ganon with 'shardbearers'.

Also it's funny, it's more formulaic than people think - every ruin has an underground chest, every mine has a giant door with a weapon, every catacomb has an ash, every church has a sacred tear, etc. And I'm really starting to get tired of seeing the same rooms and houses all over the place (one that stands out in particular is the shack that has three platforms arranged in ascending height, like stairs).

That said, I hope BOTW2 the sequel to Breath of the Wild recreates that feeling of vertical scale that ER loving nails so hard.

Anyway I got my Switch OLED and it's nice - I think my friend is going to appreciate getting my old Switch so that he can finally play MH Rise. Now the real question is, how soon do I get that little eldritch horror game - Kirby is one of those Nintendo franchises that doesn't really go on sale, right?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Wait what kill the whoever has been the basic plot of every souls game so if anything BOTW ripped it off

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Wait what kill the whoever has been the basic plot of every souls game so if anything BOTW ripped it off

I meant the 'beeline for the final boss without doing a single other thing' plot but I forgot you need to do a few things in Elden Ring before you can do that.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

All video games are ripping off the concept of Mario killing Bowser

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Morpheus posted:

Anyway I got my Switch OLED and it's nice - I think my friend is going to appreciate getting my old Switch so that he can finally play MH Rise. Now the real question is, how soon do I get that little eldritch horror game - Kirby is one of those Nintendo franchises that doesn't really go on sale, right?

Yeah Nintendo loves to keep this poo poo between 40-60 dollars.

Although I don't take this advice because I am lazy and like digital, there's nothing wrong with buying physical and then when you're done reselling the cartridge for :10bux: off resale price, I'm sure you'd have a buyer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Elden Ring needs a way to mark what you're looking at, a la BOTW.

How do you mean? You can add markers on the map

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

All video games are ripping off the concept of The Epic of Gilgamesh

Seriously, guys? Big adventure where you kill monsters and get powerups? Read a different book

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

How do you mean? You can add markers on the map

No I mean I want to pull out my telescope, look at something, press a button to see a blue line appear, and open up a map to see a marker there.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Morpheus posted:

No I mean I want to pull out my telescope, look at something, press a button to see a blue line appear, and open up a map to see a marker there.

ah got it

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?
i got rf5 because they didn’t have any kirby left when i was at the store and i am kinda, really disappointed in the frame rate of the game. the game play seems fine and i am liking all the tasks and farming and crafting etc. but every time you warp and leave a building it gets so choppy it’s p annoying. sometimes the combat is too choppy to get hits on the enemies so it’s not just travel related stuff. i guess this is a case of lazy devs since it’s not like it’s not partially graphically intense? i hope ~another~ patch is in the pipeline.

wasn’t the game out for a year in japan before releasing in the us? why is it like this?
:negative:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Dr. Shithead posted:

wasn’t the game out for a year in japan before releasing in the us? why is it like this?
The current performance includes all the updates and performance fixes that were made to the japan release. :negative:

EDIT: The performance in handheld mode is slightly better, if you have been playing docked.

Dr. Shithead
Jun 27, 2008

You got your rhythm goin' now?

lunar detritus posted:

The current performance includes all the updates and performance fixes that were made to the japan release. :negative:

EDIT: The performance in handheld mode is slightly better, if you have been playing docked.

unfortunately, I exclusively play in handheld :/. this makes me real sad.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
l like video games. i like nintendo

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Len posted:

Some people can find fun in exploring to explore. Thanks to my broke brain I don't at all and need to have the check boxes to tick off to really get into an open world. It is what it is :shrug:

I can relate to this, I’ve never liked true sandbox games like Minecraft because I don’t like setting my own objectives in games. It’s less satisfying to me to meet an arbitrary goal that I set in a game vs an objective defined in the game that I can check off.

But games like Breath of the Wild hit a sweet spot where it’s very open ended but there are still set objectives and clear progression.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like sega

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Saturn is cool and aged better than the N64

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

hatty posted:

lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Spent an hour organizing my games into folders and I might actually start one tonight and then put the switch to sleep. I dont :airquote: play :airquote: games

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

hatty posted:

Why would you say something so controversial, and yet so brave?

I missed out on the Saturn completely, I have no idea if it was a good console outside of what I see others say about it but it does look like a fun one.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i liked using no guides for the first 25 hours of elden ring (outside of a few "things to absolute not miss" tips like "make sure you get the ashes bell"), but after that i was invested enough in a lot of the npc plotlines to really not want to miss them, so i started using guides for that and a few other hidden secrets. i do wish that the space for games guides rewarded people making quality "low-spoiler" guides instead of just SEO spam and exhaustive maps, but eh, harder to do that for an open world game than it is for like an adventure game that you can make a hint guide for

if you have any interest in doing more than one playthrough i think it'd be cool to try to make your first one blind, but if you don't only have a mere 80 hours and not 140 to spend with elden ring, i'd say it's fine to pull up some guides

stealing this thought from a podcast i listen to, but it's kind of like reading an annotated version of a shakespeare play or something: if it gives you a more rewarding experience to make sure you didn't miss the part that isn't obvious, then sure, go for it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

I missed out on the Saturn completely, I have no idea if it was a good console outside of what I see others say about it but it does look like a fun one.

Imagine if the ps1 was worse at 3d in every way, but that encouraged a few people to stick to 2d games for a little longer

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
the saturn had two good games while the n64 had at least ten good games it is not comparable

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
Sega needs to start porting their Saturn games. They have countless Genesis collections.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Genesis is easy to emulate. Saturn is very much not

BigDumper
Feb 15, 2008

Surely the Switch’s 10 year old hardware can emulate Saturn games from 25 years ago, right?

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
sega lost all the source code lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Surely the Switch’s 10 year old hardware can emulate Saturn games from 25 years ago, right?

lmao

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the saturn had two good games while the n64 had at least ten good games it is not comparable

Elevator Action 2 and Darius Gaiden > your favorite N64 game
Sorry it’s the truth

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Dr. Shithead posted:

i got rf5 because they didn’t have any kirby left when i was at the store and i am kinda, really disappointed in the frame rate of the game. the game play seems fine and i am liking all the tasks and farming and crafting etc. but every time you warp and leave a building it gets so choppy it’s p annoying. sometimes the combat is too choppy to get hits on the enemies so it’s not just travel related stuff. i guess this is a case of lazy devs since it’s not like it’s not partially graphically intense? i hope ~another~ patch is in the pipeline.

Some people have reported that turning off the dynamic resolution improved their framerate. I didn’t notice too much difference myself but I’ve mostly been playing handheld, it might make more of a difference docked.

But ultimately, yeah, the performance is not great and you just have to get use to it. The gameplay is worth it if you can.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

goldeneye is better than every game on the saturn combined

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

There was some cool experimental stuff on there like Nights and Dragon Force but most of the library is bad. Even the good games like Burning Rangers don't hold up very well today, especially not in comparison to the 64's classic 3D games. If you love 2D fighting games though, the Saturn can't be beat.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Saturn is much easier to emulate these days. Switch homebrew people even managed to extract a pretty good Saturn emulator on Switch from one of the Cotton games.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Palmtree Panic posted:

Sega needs to start porting their Saturn games. They have countless Genesis collections.

They don't have the source code for a bunch of Saturn games anymore, that's why you never see them rereleased.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

An Actual Princess posted:

goldeneye is better than every game on the saturn combined

Powerslave is better

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Vandal Hearts is better than the entire Fire Emblem franchise

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Senator Drinksalot posted:

If you love 2D fighting games though, the Saturn can't be beat.

It was immediately beaten by the Dreamcast

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Morpheus posted:

It does but it’ll take several years.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

flavor.flv posted:

Genesis is easy to emulate. Saturn is very much not

Hasn't Saturn emulation gotten significantly better in the past decade? Mednafen is really well regarded

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hatty posted:

Powerslave is better

it really isn't lol