Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

dear gundam thread i watched the first thunderbolt movie because it was on youtube when i was looking up the ost
i dont know a lot about gundam besides osmosis and srw stuff

its kinda weird how hard they undermine the protagonists (daryl and the zeon ppl) who are clearly supposed to be extremely sympathetic in so many ways, like you want me to feel bad about this guy and his friends who lost his limbs bombing and gassing civilians in a husk of a colony he's parked in?

the contrast between all the sympathy plays for them and the federation crew io basically being presented as disfunctional psychos or barely functioning shellshocked people despite being the ppl who are literally fighting to take back the burnt out remains of their home is so wild.

like, it's fairly interesting at a conceptual level but the movie spends so much time doing Sad Flashbacks to random war criminal ppl including some nobody gunning down children reminiscing about grandma's pie that it just never gets time to really let the main cast really breathe. it's weird. maybe the series is a little better about it but i dunno if there's any difference between the show and the movie since the show is so short.
the general drama setup of the 3 federation main chars (io, his captain girlfriend, glasses guy) is fairly interesting but they really do nothing with it and don't explore it and then the captain gets shot to death by another no-name guy for some reason that isn't really set up.

i really wish the movie had a lot more stuff like the sequence at the very end with daryl running on the beach with the focus on his body and the cut to his amputated limbs. the direction of that entire deal was real well done but man, it's just so undercut by like, who the characters are. the miracle of love in a hellworld warzone is happening for... the guy who was directly doing the warcrimes??? weird, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Thunderbolt is very very far towards the war is hell end of the Gundam spectrum. Most the others are quite a bit more light

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
War destroys people physically and mentally. Daryl is the former, Io is the latter. Sympathy comes from who they were, not who they are in the present. The entire film is one long traumatic event that sets up their road to recovery or further madness as the story continues.

I don't find the Living Dead division all that sympathetic. The leadership with the captain and the scientist are amoral bastards throwing medical subjects into a horrible situation using the myth of noble sacrifice as motivation. I feel bad for Daryl and his friends on a moment to moment notice out of basic human empathy, but I can't put aside the reality that they're still fighting on the side of genocidal warmongers and resorted to suicide attacks when the Feds boarded their ship.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 30, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Arc Hammer posted:

I don't find the Living Dead division all that sympathetic. The leadership with the captain and the scientist are amoral bastards throwing medical subjects into a horrible situation using the myth of noble sacrifice as motivation. I feel bad for Daryl and his friends on a moment to moment notice out of basic human empathy, but I can't put aside the reality that they're still fighting on the side of genocidal warmongers and resorted to suicide attacks when the Feds boarded their ship.

Yeah, the Living Dead are all hardcore kool aid drinking zealots who are extremely high on Zeon Copium down to the last grunt. Their response to being sent to being used as guinea pigs and sent to a rat's warren to hold the line against dramatically superior forces with junkheaps and scrap metal is to double down on Zeonic patriotism until they're ready to blow themselves up rather than surrender or admit defeat.

Daryl has a lot of friends that he interacts with, while Io seems to have none except for Cornelius; this is probably not just because Io is an rear end in a top hat(he's shown to be perfectly capable of making friends in the subsequent volumes), but because most of the Living Dead guys make it home alive from missions while the Federation pilots generally get vaporized.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, the Living Dead are all hardcore kool aid drinking zealots who are extremely high on Zeon Copium down to the last grunt. Their response to being sent to being used as guinea pigs and sent to a rat's warren to hold the line against dramatically superior forces with junkheaps and scrap metal is to double down on Zeonic patriotism until they're ready to blow themselves up rather than surrender or admit defeat.

Daryl has a lot of friends that he interacts with, while Io seems to have none except for Cornelius; this is probably not just because Io is an rear end in a top hat(he's shown to be perfectly capable of making friends in the subsequent volumes), but because most of the Living Dead guys make it home alive from missions while the Federation pilots generally get vaporized.

As I've said so many times before, Thunderbolt is deeply weird in that it treats Zeon being the bad guys as a twist, despite that having been the basic narrative since the beginning.

It's probably the most edgelord of all Gundam series. There's stuff that puts more emotional weight on war being hell (like War in the Pocket) but Thunderbolt is the show that most wants you know how GRITTY it is.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean we've also had twenty years of Zeon apologia so maybe it is a twist for some

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I mean we've also had twenty years of Zeon apologia so maybe it is a twist for some

Stardust Memory was from 1991. Sure, IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 is still the peak, but twenty is a pretty young estimate for the trend.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The ninties we're ten years ago

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

The ninties we're ten years ago

You've been in a coma for... quite some time. Yes, yes, I know. You would like to know how long. I'm afraid it's been... twenty years.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Physalis launches nukes? No....

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Stardust Memory was from 1991. Sure, IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 is still the peak, but twenty is a pretty young estimate for the trend.

There is no way Code Fairy isn't the peak.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fereydun posted:

the miracle of love in a hellworld warzone is happening for... the guy who was directly doing the warcrimes??? weird, man.

the point is how loving stupid the guy is for saying "love was my miracle on this battlefield" when the battlefield systematically ripped his limbs off and psychologically destroyed the woman he now loves. the dissonance between the romanticized view daryl has vs the very clear reality of what he's experienced is the tragedy - despite it all he still hasn't figured out who the real bad guys are (him and his bosses)

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 30, 2022

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Code Fairy ain't the peak, it's a video game.

If it gets an anime, then that's the peak.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Does Code Fairy end with the protagonist standing in front of a waving Zeon flag as the narrator talks up the glory of the Zeonic warrior's spirit?

If not, IGLOO keeps the gold.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

If it does please spoiler it, I haven't had a chance to play Code Fairy yet

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fereydun posted:

dear gundam thread i watched the first thunderbolt movie because it was on youtube when i was looking up the ost
i dont know a lot about gundam besides osmosis and srw stuff

its kinda weird how hard they undermine the protagonists (daryl and the zeon ppl) who are clearly supposed to be extremely sympathetic in so many ways, like you want me to feel bad about this guy and his friends who lost his limbs bombing and gassing civilians in a husk of a colony he's parked in?

the contrast between all the sympathy plays for them and the federation crew io basically being presented as disfunctional psychos or barely functioning shellshocked people despite being the ppl who are literally fighting to take back the burnt out remains of their home is so wild.

like, it's fairly interesting at a conceptual level but the movie spends so much time doing Sad Flashbacks to random war criminal ppl including some nobody gunning down children reminiscing about grandma's pie that it just never gets time to really let the main cast really breathe. it's weird. maybe the series is a little better about it but i dunno if there's any difference between the show and the movie since the show is so short.
the general drama setup of the 3 federation main chars (io, his captain girlfriend, glasses guy) is fairly interesting but they really do nothing with it and don't explore it and then the captain gets shot to death by another no-name guy for some reason that isn't really set up.

i really wish the movie had a lot more stuff like the sequence at the very end with daryl running on the beach with the focus on his body and the cut to his amputated limbs. the direction of that entire deal was real well done but man, it's just so undercut by like, who the characters are. the miracle of love in a hellworld warzone is happening for... the guy who was directly doing the warcrimes??? weird, man.
i’ve seen the dumbest minds of my generation destroyed by the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yeah thunderbolt is good

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
I need that god damned robot, I dont think ive ever been as immediately sold on a lead gundam at the point of announcement.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I feel myself becoming a Gunpla Guy and I don't have space for a lot of these little dudes!

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

War destroys people physically and mentally. Daryl is the former, Io is the latter. Sympathy comes from who they were, not who they are in the present. The entire film is one long traumatic event that sets up their road to recovery or further madness as the story continues.

yeah i mean i got that and think it's dope it's just that whole "the side they're on" aspect really hangs over their head like a big shadow for me.

Stairmaster posted:

yeah thunderbolt is good

yeah it's cool and i hope the second movie is better

ninjewtsu posted:

the point is how loving stupid the guy is for saying "love was my miracle on this battlefield" when the battlefield systematically ripped his limbs off and psychologically destroyed the woman he now loves. the dissonance between the romanticized view daryl has vs the very clear reality of what he's experienced is the tragedy - despite it all he still hasn't figured out who the real bad guys are (him and his bosses)
see, that's the reading i would've had if that whole "lightning bolt of fate" thing didn't happen in a way that referenced an earlier event (the lightning blocking the sniper shot vs Io) while also effectively letting him win the fight. normally id think okay, it's a visual metaphor for that spark of life and something to fight for but like, earlier in the movie it's a physical event

that beach running scene and the hard cut to his amputated arm with the scrunchie is really great for that deal. the whole communication of him regaining the sense of the freedom of movement with his limbs and their attachment to the hellrobot and his connection with the one that made is possible is and how all of that is directly related to the destructive/terrible nature of their surroundings is done so well in that short lil scene and i wish the movie had more stuff like it

idk if the next movie follows up on that to confirm that interpretation or what though

TenementFunster posted:

i’ve seen the dumbest minds of my generation destroyed by the Marvel Cinematic Universe
correct but wrong marvel, it's the button pressing kind

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Mar 30, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i mean daryl losing his limbs as a mirror of his dehumanization while glorifying the very environment that cost him his flesh is like half the movie. it's basically all daryl does, but yeah the limb losing specific scenes are incredibly well done.

personally i'm rather partial to the showing of his arm being surgically removed interspersed with scenes of the construction of the psycho zaku. it's also a nice contrast to how the full armor gundam is introduced - that thing hides in the loving shadows and gets a scare cord when you see its eye glimmer for the first time, while you literally watch every bit of the psycho zaku be meticulously assembled in all its horrifying glory.

Fereydun posted:

see, that's the reading i would've had if that whole "lightning bolt of fate" thing didn't happen in a way that referenced an earlier event (the lightning blocking the sniper shot vs Io) while also effectively letting him win the fight. normally id think okay, it's a visual metaphor for that spark of life and something to fight for but like, earlier in the movie it's a physical event

yeah the random luck of the battlefield cuts both ways and both pilots were ultimately saved by it. io sees it as a freak accident, for daryl it's like a divine inspiration to keep fighting. ultimately, io sees things for what they are (and only suffers for it) while daryl blinds himself by ascribing a short sighted good guy shounen protagonist outlook to the events around him. the same thing saves both of them but they have different reactions to it, because they are different people in different circumstances.

it's why the final scene is io finally laying it all out for daryl, who has somehow managed to drink so much of the kool aid that he still doesn't have much more perspective on his role in the war than "i fight for my friends! if i keep winning fights eventually i'll end the war!"

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 30, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Fereydun posted:

yeah it's cool and i hope the second movie is better
if moral ambiguity in fiction angers and confuses you this much, i doubt you’ll like it!

somebody post the “wow, cool robot!” meme

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

TenementFunster posted:

if moral ambiguity in fiction angers and confuses you this much, i doubt you’ll like it!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Thunderbolt basically stares at the camera and tells you "Daryl, while being a nice guy, is a complete loving moron" to your face in the epilogue segment, where he nearly gets shot down and killed because of his lovely new prosthetics not being able to work the controls of his new Gelgoog properly. You know, those new prosthetics that he has because his Zeonic superiors ordered him to be carved up like a ham. And he's still fighting for them.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ninjewtsu posted:

i mean daryl losing his limbs as a mirror of his dehumanization while glorifying the very environment that cost him his flesh is like half the movie. it's basically all daryl does, but yeah the limb losing specific scenes are incredibly well done.

personally i'm rather partial to the showing of his arm being surgically removed interspersed with scenes of the construction of the psycho zaku. it's also a nice contrast to how the full armor gundam is introduced - that thing hides in the loving shadows and gets a scare cord when you see its eye glimmer for the first time, while you literally watch every bit of the psycho zaku be meticulously assembled in all its horrifying glory.

yeah the random luck of the battlefield cuts both ways and both pilots were ultimately saved by it. io sees it as a freak accident, for daryl it's like a divine inspiration to keep fighting. ultimately, io sees things for what they are (and only suffers for it) while daryl blinds himself by ascribing a short sighted good guy shounen protagonist outlook to the events around him. the same thing saves both of them but they have different reactions to it, because they are different people in different circumstances.

it's why the final scene is io finally laying it all out for daryl, who has somehow managed to drink so much of the kool aid that he still doesn't have much more perspective on his role in the war than "i fight for my friends! if i keep winning fights eventually i'll end the war!"
in general the way the gundam is presented as a straight up horror monster, down to the fantastic first-person zaku scene during it's in-action introduction is really somethin' fantastic. the nature of it being a 'pre-produced' monster from a massive corporation while the zaku is this frankenstein's monster that is meticulously built as a direct result of the horrors going on in the area is a cool kinda contrast as well given the barebone basics i know of the setting (zeon are space separatists tryin' to free themselves from earth's strangehold on them). even the designs are neat in the scope of the gundam having a bunch of shields mounted onto it vs. the zaku having a million guns mounted on it. it's cute even though they look real silly, especially all the shield robots.

in terms of the lightning bolt, i like that interpretation a lot and it makes the endin' a lot less muddled feeling - the main reason i didn't take the one in the conclusion like that is because the 'lucky' statement is from daryl, not io so i didn't really see that kind of aspect to those events even though it totally fits given the characters. io really doesn't have a reaction to the initial lightning bolt in the same way that daryl does - daryl's like 'holy poo poo, that was lucky' but io is like 'holy poo poo, only one guy can make a shot like that, it's that rear end in a top hat i'm gonna kill' and immediately starts gunnin' for daryl.

like, the way i was seein' it framed is as the 'payoff' of daryl outright stating that he's looking for a miracle that will let him and carla survive to try and leave a peaceful life by making it out of that hell regardless of the cost, with the spark of that kiss being a genuine kind of 'miracle' that they were looking for. the kicker being that their survival regardless of the cost meant living with all of the poo poo that happened to them and what they did.

it felt really weird given the rest of the movie was, you know, what you said so i'll gladly take it as misinterpreting that poo poo b/c it fits way better as a thematic conclusion to basically the rest of the movie

TenementFunster posted:

idk where you're gettin' me being angered or confused by moral ambiguity, it's mostly just a matter of wishin' the movie didn't spend so much time on random dudes to create half-baked 'tragic' soldiers rather than letting the inherent tragedy of the setting and the characters breathe on their own. i like how the camaraderie and warmth of daryl's whole group is contrasted with their extremism and how the federations folks are presented as effectively the complete opposite - stuffy, spiteful assholes and 'making the hard choices' pragmatists who are willing to send naive children into the meat grinder despite having a "technically nobe" goal or whatever of simply wanting to reclaim their home that was stolen from them. it's cool! that entire aspect of not only the factions but the lead pilots is great.

it's just the movie stating that daryl's group were the ones who caused their own situation to begin with by bombing out and killin' everyone and sitting on the ruins of someone else's home that gives it a weird taste. it's like, a knob dialed a bit too far - if it was omitted that they're directly there as a result of their own actions or whatever then it'd feel more clear in their attempts at attemptin' the establish that sympathy for their situation. '

but due to that detail it gives that kinda "well the regular ww2 german army wasn't THAT bad" vibe which leaves a bad taste in my mouth - like, they dug the ditch they're being buried in and are extremely drinking the kool-aid. it's a tragic situation to begin with and the suffering they're undergoing is inherently awful which they hammer in really well but the shadow of 'the omega war crimes people are people too you know' vibe really hung over that stuff.

Kanos posted:

Thunderbolt basically stares at the camera and tells you "Daryl, while being a nice guy, is a complete loving moron" to your face in the epilogue segment, where he nearly gets shot down and killed because of his lovely new prosthetics not being able to work the controls of his new Gelgoog properly. You know, those new prosthetics that he has because his Zeonic superiors ordered him to be carved up like a ham. And he's still fighting for them.
i ain't gonna lie, i didn't even notice that he had new prosthetics. i was more reading it as a continuation of his tragedy- that 'miracle' he was looking for was a brief spark before the reality of war slams him in the face again w/ carla's condition and he gets immediately jammed back into the war with no consideration of his conditions or who he was. like confirming they're going to eventually 'make it' but the reality of the war still exists and he absolutely didn't learn anything (or outright learned the wrong poo poo?) from his experiences

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Mar 30, 2022

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fereydun posted:

idk where you're gettin' me being angered or confused by moral ambiguity, it's mostly just a matter of wishin' the movie didn't spend so much time on random dudes to create half-baked 'tragic' soldiers rather than letting the inherent tragedy of the setting and the characters breathe on their own. i like how the camaraderie and warmth of daryl's whole group is contrasted with their extremism and how the federations folks are presented as effectively the complete opposite - stuffy, spiteful assholes and 'making the hard choices' pragmatists who are willing to send naive children into the meat grinder despite having a "technically nobe" goal or whatever of simply wanting to reclaim their home that was stolen from them. it's cool! that entire aspect of not only the factions but the lead pilots is great.

You get some of that with War in the Pocket. It focuses more on the civilian experience, but there's a little more breathing room for the tragedies. Helps that it's six half hour episodes rather than four fifteen minute ones.

I'm a bit of a broken record sometimes, but if you want to just get a nice intro to the UC, War in the Pocket should hit the spot.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly I always took that lightning bolt at the end to not be an actual one like the ones we saw earlier in the film, and more a visual metaphor for Daryl having a Newtype awakening due to his bond with Karla and a newfound desire to live(and some nudging from the Reuse P system in his suit)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fereydun posted:

it's just the movie stating that daryl's group were the ones who caused their own situation to begin with by bombing out and killin' everyone and sitting on the ruins of someone else's home that gives it a weird taste. it's like, a knob dialed a bit too far - if it was omitted that they're directly there as a result of their own actions or whatever then it'd feel more clear in their attempts at attemptin' the establish that sympathy for their situation. '

but due to that detail it gives that kinda "well the regular ww2 german army wasn't THAT bad" vibe which leaves a bad taste in my mouth - like, they dug the ditch they're being buried in and are extremely drinking the kool-aid. it's a tragic situation to begin with and the suffering they're undergoing is inherently awful which they hammer in really well but the shadow of 'the omega war crimes people are people too you know' vibe really hung over that stuff.

You mentioned this was your first Gundam show so perhaps a bit of context is needed. Juxtaposing the Living Dead grunts general niceness against the atrocities of the war is intentional. The very first bit of narration from the original 1980 Gundam show is about how the Principality of Zeon started a war with the Federation that killed around 5 billion people in one month, or around half the entire human population. The shadow of that atrocity hangs over every single action taken by any Zeon character in the entire franchise and it's a stain on their character that never, ever washes away.

Since the One Year War is a pretty intentional analog to the war in the pacific between Japan and the United States during WW2, one of Gundam's aspects was to talk to Japanese youth about how their parents or grandparents could still be good people even as they fought for an absolutely evil regime. The idea is that you're still human, but that doesn't make you right and it doesn't excuse crimes committed just because the people you tried to genocide retaliated and now you're losing. The Federation has a lot to answer for with how callous they are with human lives but at no point dur8ng the One Year War era will their dickish behaviour ever top the near extinction of the human race.

Shows made from the late 80s 90s onwards set in the main timeline, UC, can vary on the scale of moral equivalence between Zeon and the Federation, but generally it remains that Zeon was run by evil bastards and far too many idiot soldiers and nice guys went along with their bullshit during the war and kept carrying the space nazi flag long after the cause was lost. There's a couple shows and games out there that also drink the Kool Aid and totally buy into the noble zeon/japanese/nazi myth and these tend to be garbage.

Thunderbolt is not garbage and Zeon is treated with the contempt it deserves while also dealing with the uncomfortable fact that the people serving under such a hideous regime are still human beings and it's not easy to parse your feelings when the boogeyman is just some scared teenager missing an arm.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 30, 2022

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Pretty sure the living dead division aren't the same people who destroyed the colony, they're the garrison force who were sent in to hold it after. That zaku in the flashback was doing some pretty sick aerial maneuvers, while the whole point of living dead is most of them can't do much more than sit in one spot with a Big Gun

Then again Pie Guy was pretty agile so idk

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Point being until they have a face to face confrontation both the Feds and Zekes only see one another as these faceless entities identified only by which side they're on. It didn't matter if living dead destroyed tge colony or not, they're Zekes and Zeon killed the colony.

But then you get the in person confrontation and suddenly it's not two nations at war, it's a group of refugees facing off against a flying casualty list.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Does Code Fairy end with the protagonist standing in front of a waving Zeon flag as the narrator talks up the glory of the Zeonic warrior's spirit?

If not, IGLOO keeps the gold.

Yes. It has a scene where the adorable Moeblobs prey to the pilot of the Hldolfr and promise to honor his spirit.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Basically, UC politics at this point are so detailed and complicated that it's honestly kind of interesting to hear from someone whose entry point is Thunderbolt, because Thunderbolt might be the series most steeped in the consideration of that conflict. Watching Thunderbolt first is like walking into a masters-level class while looking for the 101 course.

A much nicer introduction into that is most likely the original Gundam if you don't mind the janky late 70s animation (which you can watch on Netflix). The Origin might be surprisingly serviceable too; it's pretty much all an origin story for the original Gundam's Darth Vader figure, so there's gonna be a lot of references you won't get, but it does do a really good job of explaining the Zeon ideology and the culture they're all from. You can see The Origin on Crunchyroll.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Point being until they have a face to face confrontation both the Feds and Zekes only see one another as these faceless entities identified only by which side they're on. It didn't matter if living dead destroyed tge colony or not, they're Zekes and Zeon killed the colony.

But then you get the in person confrontation and suddenly it's not two nations at war, it's a group of refugees facing off against a flying casualty list.

yeah, io's whole deal is that he's entirely aware that he's essentially tony stark suiting up in his cutting edge top of the line mega robot and gunning down amputees, and there's absolutely nothing he can do about that. he has no home, no family, and his only surviving friends are stuck in the same place he's in. his options are to be ground into dust by the crushing guilt his actions bring him (and kill himself like his dad did), or revel in it as a coping mechanism. his taunts at the living dead division are essentially him crying out "what i'm doing is terrible and i'm the worst person imaginable for being here." this is despite him being on the "good guys" side - from a historical perspective, io is absolutely in the right on this conflict. but that's not what it feels like when you're the guy blowing a hole through the skull of some kid in crutches.

daryl is completely trapped within his own self centered perspective on the war. he's entirely dehumanized his enemies and doesn't have an inkling of a concept of the implications of killing in a war, and blindly follows his side no questions asked. even though his superiors treat him as dirt at first, then later as a sacrificial goat. they literally rip his arm off and he's sitting around with his friends all crying over what happened to him and he just goes "yeah no it's cool guys, i wanted this actually. seig zeon right?" his introduction is him getting super mega upset at one of his friends being shot in cold blood, with absolutely no self awareness of the fact that just seconds before he was kicking back relaxing to some tunes because he had shot so many of io's friends his gun quit working.

though it's hard to imagine what being daryl would be like getting crushed under the guilt of being a mass murderer, his life sucks pretty hard as is. i don't think there's evidence for that being a coping mechanism like io's, dude's just dumb as bricks, but i can't imagine anyone goes long in the living dead division with that kind of understanding of the war.

Cleretic posted:

Basically, UC politics at this point are so detailed and complicated that it's honestly kind of interesting to hear from someone whose entry point is Thunderbolt, because Thunderbolt might be the series most steeped in the consideration of that conflict. Watching Thunderbolt first is like walking into a masters-level class while looking for the 101 course.

A much nicer introduction into that is most likely the original Gundam if you don't mind the janky late 70s animation (which you can watch on Netflix). The Origin might be surprisingly serviceable too; it's pretty much all an origin story for the original Gundam's Darth Vader figure, so there's gonna be a lot of references you won't get, but it does do a really good job of explaining the Zeon ideology and the culture they're all from. You can see The Origin on Crunchyroll.

i actually think thunderbolt's a pretty good entry point, with the * that you need to watch the opening narration to the original for the political context. it's not that dependent on knowing the former politics of the series, but it does expect you to already know zeon = nazis. presumably via cultural osmosis, as it is a film made by japanese people for japanese people, where gundam is much more of a cultural touchstone.

There's a lot of sympathy in the story for the zeon soldiers and I'm pretty sure that's because it expects the audience to come in already aware that zeon are the mass murderers and the federation is trying to stop them from mass murdering even more. It has to work to make you understand why you should care about the guys in the nazi uniforms, while for the feds it's treated as much more of a given.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 30, 2022

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Might as well post it because the narration is too good to skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgx5YjM-Bg

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Arc Hammer posted:

You mentioned this was your first Gundam show so perhaps a bit of context is needed. Juxtaposing the Living Dead grunts general niceness against the atrocities of the war is intentional. The very first bit of narration from the original 1980 Gundam show is about how the Principality of Zeon started a war with the Federation that killed around 5 billion people in one month, or around half the entire human population. The shadow of that atrocity hangs over every single action taken by any Zeon character in the entire franchise and it's a stain on their character that never, ever washes away.

Since the One Year War is a pretty intentional analog to the war in the pacific between Japan and the United States during WW2, one of Gundam's aspects was to talk to Japanese youth about how their parents or grandparents could still be good people even as they fought for an absolutely evil regime. The idea is that you're still human, but that doesn't make you right and it doesn't excuse crimes committed just because the people you tried to genocide retaliated and now you're losing. The Federation has a lot to answer for with how callous they are with human lives but at no point dur8ng the One Year War era will their dickish behaviour ever top the near extinction of the human race.

Shows made from the late 80s 90s onwards set in the main timeline, UC, can vary on the scale of moral equivalence between Zeon and the Federation, but generally it remains that Zeon was run by evil bastards and far too many idiot soldiers and nice guys went along with their bullshit during the war and kept carrying the space nazi flag long after the cause was lost. There's a couple shows and games out there that also drink the Kool Aid and totally buy into the noble zeon/japanese/nazi myth and these tend to be garbage.

Thunderbolt is not garbage and Zeon is treated with the contempt it deserves while also dealing with the uncomfortable fact that the people serving under such a hideous regime are still human beings and it's not easy to parse your feelings when the boogeyman is just some scared teenager missing an arm.

i mean, the movie communicates this stuff perfectly fine without the raw numbers of 'hey they killed half the population' - that's why i think that whole dynamic is so effective to begin with and why i like the main characters. i dunno where people keep gettin' the idea that i think the movie sucks, i think it's great. it just has that aspect to it that feels strange due to that dumb tiny detail.

i guess tenementfunster is right in terms of being a dipshit who doesn't get nuance because my disconnect is that if they are the ones who absolutely massacred the colony, then daryl personally bombing out and gunning down a bunch of innocents including kids while still being totally fine crackin' a cold one on top of their corpses with his buds afterwards because all he can think about is killing the next guy makes him fairly unsympathetic despite clearly bein' built around those angles as a sweet dumb kid who bought into the jingoism that is doing terrible poo poo because of it. the nature of 'hey, it's ultimately two groups of Human Beings stuck in a tragic situation' loses an edge when the one of the sides is comprised of folks who would be fine blasting away at innocent civilians forever in a war of aggression.

though that aspect does make the contrast between io and daryl more defined though and that's real cool, especially in the scope of their final interaction and io's callout of daryl. the level of absolute dipshit self-righteousness and monstrousness in his direct involvement in the destruction of io's home is absolutely ridiculous in the face of someone who is a victim of his actions. it's just... like, drat this dude Sucks if he's that up his own rear end about killing innocent children

i guess ultimately it's some arbitrary line because generally 'terrible poo poo' and regret/trauma probably show up after the conflict when everyone's out of survival/killing mode so seein' the characters in the middle of the war is what makes it awkward feelin' in accomplishing the goal of communicating that everyone fighting is still human beyond the inherent tragedy of all of these people bein' dragged into the hell of war to begin with due to circumstances wildly out of their control.

it's ultimately a small hangup given how good the movie is across the board at what it's goin' for but i like to word vomit about those kinda things when sleep deprived.

ninjewtsu posted:

Pretty sure the living dead division aren't the same people who destroyed the colony, they're the garrison force who were sent in to hold it after. That zaku in the flashback was doing some pretty sick aerial maneuvers, while the whole point of living dead is most of them can't do much more than sit in one spot with a Big Gun

Then again Pie Guy was pretty agile so idk
that would make more sense in terms of what they're goin' for in terms of making 'em sympathetic which is why i have that tiny hangup, haha. the way the movie is framed, practically all of the wartime flashbacks are directly related to their theater of combat so i was readin' daryl charging the beaches and gettin' blown up as part of the invasion and that like, the living dead division were basically the 'left behind scraps' of the invasion force. that would thematically tie into them being used as disposable tools of war who are stuck in a truly awful situation where nobody really gives a poo poo about them while they fight to the last man for The Cause while holding onto a worthless piece of space property that has no value besides their own jingoism in invading it.

them being shipped off there still more or less fits, but there's something that feels right about that kinda tragedy of these left-behind guys who paid a terrible price for the terrible poo poo they did (in their maiming and bein' used as guinea pigs) willing to fight to the death on the land they massacred for a meaningless cause that's already abandoned them against the few survivors of that land seeking vengeance because they have nothing left.

Arc Hammer posted:

Might as well post it because the narration is too good to skip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzgx5YjM-Bg

wait, they crashed a colony onto earth at the start of the war? i know that's what char hella wants to do because he goes for it in srw all the time and something about The Gravity Of Souls or some poo poo but i didn't know that's attempts 2 and 3 (or more?)

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Mar 30, 2022

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Fereydun posted:

wait, they crashed a colony onto earth at the start of the war? i know that's what char hella wants to do because he goes for it in srw all the time and something about The Gravity Of Souls or some poo poo but i didn't know that's attempts 2 and 3 (or more?)

Zeon dropped a colony to try and take out the Fed HQ, it got redirected to Australia.

Char dropped a colony to try and kickstart a new ice age to get all of humanity off the Earth.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah when i watched the MSG movie trilogy with some friends back in college one of them immediately said "you know, i knew colony drops were a thing in gundam, but i thought they were the climax not right there in the opening narration"

Fereydun posted:

that would make more sense in terms of what they're goin' for in terms of making 'em sympathetic which is why i have that tiny hangup, haha. the way the movie is framed, practically all of the wartime flashbacks are directly related to their theater of combat so i was readin' daryl charging the beaches and gettin' blown up as part of the invasion and that like, the living dead division were basically the 'left behind scraps' of the invasion force. that would thematically tie into them being used as disposable tools of war who are stuck in a truly awful situation where nobody really gives a poo poo about them while they fight to the last man for The Cause while holding onto a worthless piece of space property that has no value besides their own jingoism in invading it.

them being shipped off there still more or less fits, but there's something that feels right about that kinda tragedy of these left-behind guys who paid a terrible price for the terrible poo poo they did (in their maiming and bein' used as guinea pigs) willing to fight to the death on the land they massacred for a meaningless cause that's already abandoned them against the few survivors of that land seeking vengeance because they have nothing left.

i will say that daryl on the beach is 100% him being part of earth invasion forces. "large bodies of water" aren't generally a thing in the colonies, and as we've seen zeon colony invasions tend to be a lot more destructive than "send in the infantry to hold it" (that opening narration colony drop was never entered, zeon killed the space forces defending it then pumped the colony full of poison gas). daryl was later shipped off to the living dead division after his injuries (before or after this particular colony was ravaged by zeon? unlikely to be before but possible). living dead is injured vets from all over the war, with various levels of culpability in zeon's war crimes. once they've been maimed and are no longer suitable for general soldier duty, they're shipped off to the "haha you're not getting out of the war that easily" division where they're experimented on so zeon can desperately try to wring some more of that sweet, sweet warcrime juice out of them before they drop. the tragedy is that being there in the first place is a crime against their very humanity but they've all still managed to find one way or another to delude themselves into thinking they're fighting for the good guys

and like, to be fair, io is fighting for the good guys and the federation crosses its own warcrime line during the events of december sky.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I gotta get around to watching the rest of the MSG trilogy, man.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah the war started with a two second warning before Zeon simultaneously attacked the other colonies, hijacked a cylinder and threw it at Earth, killing billions when it broke up in the atmosphere and meteor showered across Asia and North America while a big chunk wiped Sydney off the map. A month later they annihilated the main Federation space fleet and launched a ground invasion to seize Earth's resources. This is where Daryl got his legs blown out from under him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel myself becoming a Gunpla Guy and I don't have space for a lot of these little dudes!

I cleared a shelf like 2-3 months ago and it's already full.