Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

drat, can't imagine why someone posting the anime forum might have an interest in learning the Japanese language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Namtab posted:

Otoh there’s a lot of weeb stuff that doesn’t get translated

Oh boy, weeb stuff. That'll help me advance my career path and income potential.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I. M. Gei posted:

Oh boy, weeb stuff. That'll help me advance my career path and income potential.

love learning things for sheer ultrapragmatic reasons with no enjoyment whatsoever. gently caress yeah

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think they meant paying off figuratively rather than literally getting paid money to consume Japanese media. If you wanna consume stuff in the original language why not learn it? No reason not to other than not having the time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Julias posted:

I've grown attached to my slightly unsettling, blinking at you Oboro.

it's pretty good

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

I. M. Gei posted:

Isn't Japanese one of the most functionally useless foreign languages to learn outside of Japan?

It's only used in that one part of the world and there's no similarities between it and any other languages that make learning it helpful for picking up other languages in the future. The effort-to-payoff ratio just doesn't add up.
I'm reading Rikka High School Marching Band, the Sound Euphonium spinoff novel that doesn't have any english translation, and frankly that book is enough of a blast to pay off the effort I've invested all on its own

Generally as an anime/manga fan it's cool to be able to read stuff in its original form and see what got kinda lost in translation, and there' tons of good stuff out there that just doesn't have a TL at all. Ask me about being the one (1) western matazoro fan

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

I. M. Gei posted:

Isn't Japanese one of the most functionally useless foreign languages to learn outside of Japan?

It's only used in that one part of the world and there's no similarities between it and any other languages that make learning it helpful for picking up other languages in the future. The effort-to-payoff ratio just doesn't add up.

Are you really gonna consider "ease of picking up another language besides the one you wanna learn" a reason for learning a different language.

Like besides being kinda sad that's not exactly something that has material impact either.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Also as far as languages go japanese is probably one of the easier ones to attain a basic level of knowledge on, to be honest? Certainly of the ones I know (russian, german, english). Like it's still tough and takes time but there's actually relatively little grammar jank to worry about and while kanji seem intimidating, once you have a basic stable of common ones the rest you can kinda passively fill in as you go. I started learning hiragana in october 2020 and now here I am reading full novels (albeit slowly)

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
proportionally speaking japan is a media juggernaut, hence why were here talking about japanese anime and not french postmodern cartoons. that would mean on a personal enjoyment level japanese is probably one of the best languages to pick. it doesnt even have to "just" be weeb stuff (though no judgment on my part if thats what interests you), japanese literature is also a big big field. hell, none of the "3 great japanese mystery novels" (dogra magra, the black death hall murders, offerings to nothingness) have english translations. doesnt that excite you?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Learning one foreign language can make it easier to learn other foreign languages that may share similarities. Like learning Korean.

Speaking of which, there's little use to learning Korean if you're not conducting business there or with Korean businesses, or unless you want to consume Korean pop culture. German, Italian and French don't have as much clout outside of Europe (except for countries that may use it as a second language, or notably Quebecois French in Canada). As an American, it's not measureably practical in dollars and cents to learn a new language, regardless of the language, in a general sense. But I'd still do it.

Practically speaking, if you really need to learn a specific language for a job, then the job will pay you to learn it. Otherwise, you should learn a language because you want to, and your strengthened connection to a new culture will leave you richer for it, and it just may pay off in ways you don't expect or realize.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

I. M. Gei posted:

It means translators are always in demand, if you're talking a career.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
also from a strict utility perspective english is the most useful language because a sizable majority of international business is conducted in english because america is a country of psychos. so congratulations! youve talked yourself out of doing something for the pleasure of it AND now you dont even have a reason to learn a second language at all, because you were born in a position where you dont have to. and thats really lame and limiting lol. do something for its own sake, for the sake of having fun.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Learning a language in general is pretty fun tbh. Not even the rewarding feeling once you're actually able to string some words together or hold a conversation, even the process of learning is cool.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Translation? As a career? That's stupid, all humanity already only speaks one language, it's why we can coordinate this tower-to-heaven project so efficiently.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

I. M. Gei posted:

There's some similarities between it and Chinese, the world's most commonly used language.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Runa posted:

Translation? As a career? That's stupid, all humanity already only speaks one language, it's why we can coordinate this tower-to-heaven project so efficiently.

the time for esperanto is now

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Also the comment about Japanese not helping advamcing your career is dumb because a)Japan is a big economy even if it's just a country, b)having languages is always good on your resume and c)you can always be the pioneer thanks to your Japanese knowledge.

...granted, you need to know Japanese well for that, and it's nowhere near as useful as English or Chinese, but it can help. Too bad even after 5 years I'm still terrible thanks to my inability to retain kanji and thus vocabulary :negative:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

My man we are posting on the something awful anime board, we are not here to advance our careers

A Cup of Ramen
Oct 16, 2012

Go make some deals with anime studios after learning Japanese and make a new crunchyroll that isn't locking content after the first 3 eps.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Too bad even after 5 years I'm still terrible thanks to my inability to retain kanji and thus vocabulary :negative:

Learn the vocabulary first, kanji come with it.
Once you start memorizing the radicals it gets easier.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

kirbysuperstar posted:

the time for esperanto is now

I first heard about Esperanto in college in the late 90s. It was from a fellow student that spun tales of a borderless language ideal for use as a common tongue in the international community. And if you could find another Esperanto speaker while traveling, they would be more likely than not to extend their hospitality.

I haven't thought of him nor Esperanto for decades until it was mentioned just now.

On the other hand, I continued to watch anime (there was a club on campus) and Japanese is still the only other foreign language (besides Spanish) that I hear on a daily basis.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Guy who just drove 8000 miles to pick up a trumpet can't understand why anime fans might want to pick up japanese.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Julias posted:

I've grown attached to my slightly unsettling, blinking at you Oboro.
To me it always looks like the slightly deliberate blinking that you sometimes see when people have been drinking, which works well with the rosy cheeks.

Fluffdaddy posted:

Guy who just drove 8000 miles to pick up a trumpet can't understand why anime fans might want to pick up japanese.
What the hell rear end kind of trumpet was it to justify that long a drive?!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
One of the interesting/weird things about Esperanto is, even if you don't know it specifically, it's still sort of understandable if you speak any Indo-European language.

Meanwhile, the very concept of learning languages based solely on profit margin disgusts me viscerally. Languages are cool. Learn more of them.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

hell rear end kind of trumpet

New band name

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

New band name

My 3rd wave Ska band

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Fluffdaddy posted:

Lolling at all of the posts

marumaru
May 20, 2013

just a nice drawing of diamond i found
have a nice day chat thread

marumaru
May 20, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

counterpoint: you can use it to access more weeb poo poo online
even just learning hiragana and katakana is super cool already because you can read a lot of stuff you randomly see around

check out this extremely subtle one in cyberpunk 2077! if only you could read it!! do your reps!!!!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

and to mix in both of my two previous posts: what REALLY sucks is that even when you do know a little japanese you realize that you don't have all the cultural context and it really hurts when that limits your understanding of works you really love, like in my case, Houseki no Kuni
i'm just probably never going to fully appreciate the buddhism references and symbology no matter how hard i grind anki

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

I. M. Gei posted:

this is the lamest thing you have ever posted

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

marumaru posted:

and to mix in both of my two previous posts: what REALLY sucks is that even when you do know a little japanese you realize that you don't have all the cultural context and it really hurts when that limits your understanding of works you really love, like in my case, Houseki no Kuni
i'm just probably never going to fully appreciate the buddhism references and symbology no matter how hard i grind anki

This is why most language studies also focus a significant amount of attention towards cultural studies, so that way you have a wider perspective of the culture as a whole and it's easier to integrate and immerse yourself in that society/culture.

As laughable as it may sound, just going down a Wikipedia rabbit hole to learn about some interesting historical events and cultural concepts can be a big boon towards your language studies.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

HO POO

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I. M. Gei posted:

I’m withdrawing my protection btw

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Julias posted:

As laughable as it may sound, just going down a Wikipedia rabbit hole to learn about some interesting historical events and cultural concepts can be a big boon towards your language studies.

oh yeah, i do that all the time. i have very poor discipline with wikipedia, and more on topic i actually accidentally spend a few hours reading about japanese history because i found out about the Jomon

marumaru
May 20, 2013

this one stuck with me because iirc there was a journalist or something that went asking japanese people if they were happy to see their language represented in cyberpunk or some poo poo and most people just said it looked real dumb and wrong

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also that's a dumb question to begin with because there are very many Japanese games that already have the Japanese language in them lol

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Julias av is good because it keeps reminding me to finish FE fates someday. Same with that goon who had a Stella Glow avatar.

shout outs in the comments if you remember who it was

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
It wasn't me but I'll take the credit anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Parallax posted:

Many moons ago, there was a stream where many of us watched OPs from years past. We laughed, we cried, we suffered, and we watched objects rotate. Starting tonight, we will once again do the same, only this time with the addition of EDs. I've scoured the internet to bring a comprehensive* collection of anime OPs and EDs, arranged them by year, and will present them for your viewing pleasure!

Join us, tonight at 8:30pm eastern in https://cytu.be/r/buttbudies. The starting years will be 1963, 1973, 1983, and 1993. Be there, or don't!

*i've tried my best to include every op and ed from every tv show i could find. generally i've also tried to include ovas and tv specials, but excluded ones that were just credits on a plain background. also, movies are included. none! unless i slip one in by accident.