Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

me driving to the strip mall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

the strip mall Chinese buffet with teriyaki chicken on a stick and crab legs holds a very special place in my heart

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

mistermojo posted:

the strip mall Chinese buffet with teriyaki chicken on a stick and crab legs holds a very special place in my heart

amen brother

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Wealthy people aren't going to strip malls, they're going to these horrible places that have sprung up in recentish years that are like malls but only outside. So you've got this maze of paths and stores that honestly could just have a roof on it with skylights and be climate controlled and comfy but nah it's gotta be open for some reason

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

whoa, i can walk from one store to another store!!! whoa, hey, haha!!

people will literally get in their cars to go across the parking lot rather than walking

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Horace posted:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ArmZ posted:

people will literally get in their cars to go across the parking lot rather than walking

Yeah i'm not a peasant, why would I walk to places?

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wealthy people aren't going to strip malls, they're going to these horrible places that have sprung up in recentish years that are like malls but only outside. So you've got this maze of paths and stores that honestly could just have a roof on it with skylights and be climate controlled and comfy but nah it's gotta be open for some reason

Outlet malls? The two I go to are mostly working and middle class people looking for a deal at Banana Republic or the Disney store. Wealthy people shop online or at some boutique stores in the city center.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Nah there's these open shopping centers that are full of yuppie types. Sometimes they might have apartments attached too? It's real weird

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nah there's these open shopping centers that are full of yuppie types. Sometimes they might have apartments attached too? It's real weird

That sounds like a strip mall with apartments nearby.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

no, I've seen these too, since i was a kid. they're open air malls: they have a central pedestrian avenue, with shops on both sides, and then parking in a ring outside of that. they're just not enclosed with a full roof. i assume you only can make them in certain climates.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

they mean this loving thing: https://goo.gl/maps/4LJPHDtDx74LLkYw8

it looks a lot less chaotic and confusing on a map than when you are actually in its bowels

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

ArmZ posted:

Oh and then what, walk all the way back across the parking lot to get to my car? If man were meant to walk that much, why did God give us these cars to look after?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

lol at the gigantic ring of parking

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

something like 70% of the screen in that google maps link is devoted to parking/driving. 20% is empty space that has some scrubgrass on it and maybe 2-3 trees. 10% is actual retail/housing/healthcare square footage

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Clark Nova posted:

it looks a lot less chaotic and confusing on a map than when you are actually in its bowels

imagine building one of these rather than pedestrianizing one street of your downtown

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Clark Nova posted:

:stonklol:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
love it or leave it, baby. :911:

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Doc Hawkins posted:

no, I've seen these too, since i was a kid. they're open air malls: they have a central pedestrian avenue, with shops on both sides, and then parking in a ring outside of that. they're just not enclosed with a full roof. i assume you only can make them in certain climates.

you'd be surprised -- i live in montreal and the suburb across the river has one of these "lifestyle centres" that has been massively building up over the last ten+ years, no idea why anyone would want to go there during the third of the year where it's below freezing

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

If I had to guess: having 'shared' indoor areas between stores implies that it is okay to be inside 'The Mall' without participating in a transaction. if you keep the proximity but get rid of those shared indoor spaces, you keep the customers you'd share between stores anyway while cutting down on the various loiterers who are not interested in spending money but just looking for "something to do".

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

There's a stip-style outlet mall near here that has a golf cart shuttle to save people the indignity of walking between stores. Otherwise they really would drive. There's no walkway across the parking lot.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

If I had to guess: having 'shared' indoor areas between stores implies that it is okay to be inside 'The Mall' without participating in a transaction. if you keep the proximity but get rid of those shared indoor spaces, you keep the customers you'd share between stores anyway while cutting down on the various loiterers who are not interested in spending money but just looking for "something to do".

And many of these designs allow more stores to have outward-facing fronts that can be accessed directly from the parking lot.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
The outward-facing fronts also make it easier to advertise to People Who Are In Cars, who are the only people that exist. If you have a shop inside of an enclosed mall, people won't know it's there unless they get out of their car and walk around inside the mall, which is the ultimate indignity. also lol that that place is called the "paddock shops" - come spend like the livestock you are!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Clark Nova posted:

haha jesus

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Clark Nova posted:

wow I Can't Believe nobody is using this sidewalk

if you put your ear to this "sidewalk," you can hear it whispering "killl me..."

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Mar 30, 2022

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Love the functionally useless and annoying zigzag shape.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Sphyre posted:

mods rename teriyaki hairpiece to Crispin Lover

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

i have visited this magnificent place:

it has a four lane road running through it. so if you don't like the hammers in B&M and want to check out the hammers in B&Q you have to use no fewer than five push button pedestrian crossings.

no-one would dart across the road though, would they???

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jesus christ that sidewalk

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Petanque posted:

you'd be surprised -- i live in montreal and the suburb across the river has one of these "lifestyle centres"

I really think lifestyle center is the phrase I was thinking of. It's a mall, and it's surrounded by a giant parking lot, but there's no roof over the spaces between the stores. These thrive while malls die because we live in the bad future.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I really think lifestyle center is the phrase I was thinking of. It's a mall, and it's surrounded by a giant parking lot, but there's no roof over the spaces between the stores. These thrive while malls die because we live in the bad future.

I went to one of those in San Antonio. It was really nice, the walkways had big planters in them. It was much more pleasant than a traditional mall.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

malls themselves were a a lovely dystopian project to move shopping out of downtown and into a car-oriented, completely privatized space on cheap land at the periphery, and now they've been supplanted by something worse. lol. lmao.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wonder if malls largely went out of style simply because they were all old. People want to go somewhere new. But it doesn't make much sense to build another mall, so you build something else that's essentially the same thing but without some of the defining features (common areas). We had a good decade of that sort of development.

Everything now seems to understand that "urban" is good, but most of them only pay lip service to the idea. You drive to an area that looks like a downtown, but it's all private. And technically people can "live, work, play" there, except the rent is too high and the jobs are almost exclusively low-paying service positions. Some of these developments are good though when they actually understand how an urban environment works.

e: outlet malls could never produce this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmWTHCHHzZY

Malls may have been bad, but they weren't completely off track

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
https://www.resilience.org/stories/2020-10-16/structural-violence-and-the-automobile/

larper
Apr 9, 2019
My town is overhauling a street to add bike lanes and remove parking on one side and the qq tears are already epic

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Polo-Rican posted:

wow I Can't Believe nobody is using this sidewalk

created to inflict punishment on pedestrians, slaloming back and forth under the sun with no tree cover, the height of each arc taking you closer to someone on their phone behind the wheel of a truck that weighs 7000 lbs carrying one person and one small purchase from a big box store, spewing exhaust directly into your face

strip malls, we sure do love them don't we folks

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Petanque posted:

no idea why anyone would want to go there during the third of the year where it's below freezing

Investing for the future

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Malls may have been bad, but they weren't completely off track

Malls had more than their fair share of problems but at least I have some nostalgia of wandering around them with my friends. Many places absolutely despise younger people anymore and are somehow even more hostile to them

Milo and POTUS has issued a correction as of 21:05 on Mar 30, 2022

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mall chat, hallmark '87 makes vaporwave that makes you feel like you are in a late 80s mall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxu06HKnStY

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I grew up perfectly equidistant from the Exton Square Mall, the Philadelphia Outlets, and King of Prussia Mall; all three of them among the biggest shopping centers in the country (or were at some point) and they're all tripping over their own dicks hard right now

some cultural bullet points about Exton off the top of my head:

1. the scene of a grisly rape/murder in the 80's

2. selected as the shooting location for Kevin Smith's Mallrats 2 in 2015!!! with superstar Ben Affleck returning fell through

3. now looks like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

There's a big mall near me. It has car parking, a bus station, a taxi-rank, bike parking, train-connections, and they've now put in a metro station.

It was the first place me and my friend ever went on our own that was futher than walking distance. We bought a hundred chicken nuggets at the mcdonalds but forgot to buy drinks, and then bought and a physical guide for I think pokemon gold/silver, which we shared until it fell to pieces.

Good times.