Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
bro... ktk was 8 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
this set will have the most multi colored spells and fixing of the past 5 years (in terms of standard sets, at least) and it wont be close imo

Fucker fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 30, 2022

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Fucker posted:

bro... ktk was 8 years ago.

its true but the other most recent threeish color set was Ikoria which has even lower numbers than KTK.

I mean I am more than willing to believe there will be lots of that stuff in this set, it's just I can only base my predictions for the future on the things I have seen and what I know. I have no particular reason to believe this set will break any of these trends. Perhaps there is some key piece of information or context I am missing!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Ikoria didnt have any less then 3 cmc multicolored creatures bc most of them were big monsters you were supposed to mutate into. This sets design is gonna have completely different goals then that

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Ikoria didnt have any less then 3 cmc multicolored creatures bc most of them were big monsters you were supposed to mutate into. This sets design is gonna have completely different goals then that

I meant Ikoria has less gold cards as a whole than KTK did, not that it had fewer under 3.

There are 25 gold cards at common or uncommon in KTK and 20 in IKO. 52 each in GRN and RNA, 60 in STX. 50 in RTR if you want to go back further. 35 in Shards of Alara.

edit: Like the trend very clearly is that three color sets have fewer low rarity gold cards than 2 color gold sets. It doesn't mean that this set will follow the trend, but I certainly wouldn't assume or even expect that it's going to have way more multicolor cards than other gold sets did, or that it's going to specifically have more cheap multicolored permanents...

Defeatist Elitist fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Mar 30, 2022

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
this set is fairly clearly trying to be a three color set with the central concept being the three color families, and we already know about four entire cycles that will have three colors in their identity (triomes, ascendancies, charms, legendary demon head of the families)

I think worrying that it won't be a big deal in general is a bit silly and I think in general saying anything super concrete on the cards that haven't been shown yet this early in any set is a bad idea

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Fucker posted:

this set will have the most multi colored spells and fixing of the past 5 years (in terms of standard sets, at least) and it wont be close imo

For reference, Strixhaven had more than twice the number of multicolor cards as Ikoria.

Strixhaven had a LOT of multicolor cards. I don’t think this set will beat it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The reason there are less multicolor cards in a 3 color set is because it's much, much harder to have 3 different colors of mana in Limited than it is to have two, even with fixing. So you can't just balance every card to be three color, you need to be able to actually do things in Limited without stalling out until you get your third color, or enough of your third color to play more than one spell a turn.

flatluigi posted:

this set is fairly clearly trying to be a three color set with the central concept being the three color families
KTK was also a three color set based entirely on the four different three colored tribes.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Defeatist Elitist posted:

its true but the other most recent threeish color set was Ikoria which has even lower numbers than KTK.

that wasnt a faction set tho.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

We'll probably get Ultimate Price again, which is neat.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Seems substantially worse than the other two. Non-Blue/Black colour identities stay losing.

fadam fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 30, 2022

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Instant speed overrun is a beating in limited. Having it on not a dead card in other circumstances is going to be pretty great.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

fadam posted:

Seems substantially worse than the other two.

The first mode needs 5 creatures on board to be good as Maestros third mode, which is a choice.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

resistentialism posted:

Instant speed overrun is a beating in limited. Having it on not a dead card in other circumstances is going to be pretty great.

Oh yeah, fair enough.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

I only just now noticed the charms are uncommons, they make a lot more sense now.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Thinking about it for a day, I don't think the Esper one is that good and the Naya one is very bad. Abzan Charm was something that was played a lot but I think the 3 they have revealed so far are substantially worse.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Were any of the playable charms in the past incapable of giving you a 2-for-1 most of the time? The only ones I remember actually playing are Esper Charm and Abzan and they both can draw you two cards if the other modes are dead.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I also played the hell out of mardu charm. Jeskai charm too.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

fadam posted:

Were any of the playable charms in the past incapable of giving you a 2-for-1 most of the time? The only ones I remember actually playing are Esper Charm and Abzan and they both can draw you two cards if the other modes are dead.

Charms with 'reasonable' CA modes:
Abzan
Archmage
Ebony
Esper
Freyelise's
Izzet
Jund
Mardu
Orzhov
Rakdos
Rith's
Sultai

And Obsidian ...aw. Obsidian Charm-aw.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

HootTheOwl posted:

Charms with 'reasonable' CA modes:
Abzan
Archmage
Ebony
Esper
Freyelise's
Izzet
Jund
Mardu
Orzhov
Rakdos
Rith's
Sultai

And Obsidian ...aw. Obsidian Charm-aw.

How does Charming Prince rate?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Lord_Magmar posted:

How does Charming Prince rate?

F-uckboi teir

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What about The Smiths - This Charming Man

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

fadam posted:

Seems substantially worse than the other two. Non-Blue/Black colour identities stay losing.

Impressively bad. They couldn't even include a Naturalize/Disenchant effect?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

fadam posted:

Let it go to the face come on wotc

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

What about The Smiths - This Charming Man

F-sharp keyed

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Kashuno posted:

Let it go to the face come on wotc

Trample is right there

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Wedding Chandra?
Nah, I'm all about Flapper Elspeth:

Also: loving lol Raccoon Street Gang

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Lone Goat posted:

Trample is right there

the middle mode is good!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I like this trend of Planeswalkers wearing new cool clothes in each set.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

New Naya Charm is bad because two of its modes are only really good in the same situation (having several creatures) and in that situation you're already doing at least pretty decently. The third mode is okay if you're behind but not great. Overall this is just disappointing.

It's kind of cute in multiples but ehhhhh

I'd say it's a filler card in limited and maybe good in aggro vs aggro matchups in standard.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 30, 2022

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

Maro posted in his teaser posted:

Creature – Raccoon Rogue

a Raccoon that mills or draws you a card when you attack and deal combat damage... *yawn*

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

HootTheOwl posted:

Wedding Chandra?
Nah, I'm all about Flapper Elspeth:

It's really good. Fishnet scale mail! :3:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Racoon gang should have graveyard shenanigans involved. Trash panda crew

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

So it seems like Tezzeret's working with both sides of the Phyrexians, as he's aiding Urubrask in an attempt to spark a revolution against Elesh Norn's control of New Phyrexia. This can only end wonderfully.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I'm, uh, going to hazard a guess that the Cabaretti archetype is 'go wide'? Just a wild guess.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
when's the first big reveal for new cavatelli

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

dragon enthusiast posted:

when's the first big reveal for new cavatelli

Its comming, don't get your shells in a spiral.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

fadam posted:

lol that italian family is red white and green :italy:

it being bad is an anti-italian discrimination though

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

fatherboxx posted:

lol that italian family is red white and green :italy:

it being bad is an anti-italian discrimination though

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004