Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Answers Me posted:

Good to see Ronay finally refining his contrariness to the point of asking ‘why would you support a football team? How gauche’

That was a stupid question that was well shut down. But I'm with Ronay when it comes to England, our fans are twats and I don't want harry Kane to win a God drat thing, so I can't bring myself to support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Barney used to say bollocks like that a lot more. I thought max would just laugh at the question but he actually answered it sincerely.

I think if there was a parody of a guardian football podcast talking point from someone that hadn't listened before that would be it.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
You do get the impression that quite a lot of the ‘serious’ football journalists or possibly just the posh ones are genuinely perplexed as to why people enjoy supporting a team, going to matches etc.I guess when your life revolves around it the novelty wears off a little, but still… bit weird.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

It was the sort of weird thing the people who preformatively don't like sports say. Like a David Mitchell type.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I can sort of understand it, in that I find intense sport fandom pretty baffling most of the time.

I support my home town club, who I used to see every week when I lived there, and I'm happy when they win, but people getting genuinely passionate about the English national team or a PL side whose ground they've rarely if ever been to... That basically just seems thick to me.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I mean Barney isn’t the first and certainly won’t be the last journo/pundit to come out with some stupid ‘hot tales’. But whoever decided that this needed 10mins or so debate and discussion about it and giving it precedence over actual football was a pretty big hot take in the pod today.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

You do get the impression that quite a lot of the ‘serious’ football journalists or possibly just the posh ones are genuinely perplexed as to why people enjoy supporting a team, going to matches etc.I guess when your life revolves around it the novelty wears off a little, but still… bit weird.

the same thing can happen to sports writers in the U.S. or elsewhere - when you're working to cover a game, you get there before the regular crowd, you stay later, you have all the stress of doing your job and it just so happens to be in decent seats for a football match. And you can't exactly stand up and join in songs or yell at players like every punter in the regular seats can. Could also partially be burnout with your job being having to think about all sorts of football things every single day, so then looking into something for "your team" feels like doing work when you're off the clock.

But then there are also be cases like Jonathan Wilson, who have become fascinated by the history, sociology, and tactical sides of the sport more so than just going to the game and seeing goals go in for your team, but even he still has plenty of passion for Sunderland or things like the growth of the sport in Africa, etc.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Also remember the "no cheering in the press box" which apparently is tough when the game is amazing and dramatic.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
James McNicholas was saying they just get on the wine in the french press boxes when he went to watch Marseille the other day. He then said Saliba was lucky to keep a clean sheet, despite not keeping a clean sheet. Totally unrelated I'm sure :allears:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I'm interested to know what people in this thread listen to now. Football Weekly is obviously going strong. I used to be a huge fan of the ramble but realise I haven't listened for ages now and haven't even really thought about it either.

I listen to the domestic version of the totally football show and have just started listening to football cliches (which is a lot better than you would think - or maybe you are all already listening and I'm really late to it).

What other (non club specific) stuff do you like?

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Football Weekly primarily, occasionally I'll listen to the ramble but mostly On the continent but it isn't the same as it was.
Sometimes I'll put on the Tifo podcast because they tackle some interesting topics, but I could do without the lengthy adverts for the athletic.

I also dip into the Fighting Cock and the Extra Inch as spurs podcasts - FC being blokey and enthusiastic and the Extra Inch is a bit drier and tactics focused which is nice for a bit of club focus.

I keep meaning to listen to the more story focused football podcasts but never settle on anything

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I tapped out of the ramble a year or so ago cos I couldn't keep up with the amount of content. Football clichés is excellent and other than Leeds focused ones is my go to podcast, Tim Vickerys one from last week is a must listen

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Jippa posted:

have just started listening to football cliches (which is a lot better than you would think - or maybe you are all already listening and I'm really late to it).

the sex ghost posted:

Football clichés is excellent

It's replaced The Ramble as the "funny, but still on topic" football podcast I listen to and it's great. It's often not overly current and has been going for over 2 years now, so there's plenty to catch up on. The interview ones are dependant on who they have on and most have been good, but I think the regular Tuesday shows are the best. Just be ready to skip a poo poo load of ads unless you're listening on the labyrinthine Athletic app.

Is the Ramble still the same as it was when football came back after the Covid break in 2020? As in, is it still a rotating group rather than set days for the different shows? That's what killed my interest in it as it just turned into another football discussion show.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Mickolution posted:

Is the Ramble still the same as it was when football came back after the Covid break in 2020? As in, is it still a rotating group rather than set days for the different shows? That's what killed my interest in it as it just turned into another football discussion show.

Yeah.

It also killed my enjoyment of it. I get that they wanted to make it a full on career type thing but honestly it was better with just them doing 2 casts a week and OTC

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Yeah I can't remember the last time the original 4 were on together and it's just not the same. I fell off the ramble bandwagon when they changed from the acast+ sub and changed the format.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The initial change was fine, because you still had the regular shows and could just skip the rest. It's when they started rotating the guests that all of the chemistry was lost for me. Maybe they've built that up again with the newer people, but I have enough podcasts to keep me going at the minute without seeking it out.

I see they're still doing the Patreon thing and it still looks loving terrible.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mickolution posted:

The initial change was fine, because you still had the regular shows and could just skip the rest. It's when they started rotating the guests that all of the chemistry was lost for me. Maybe they've built that up again with the newer people, but I have enough podcasts to keep me going at the minute without seeking it out.

I see they're still doing the Patreon thing and it still looks loving terrible.

The tiny domino on the meme is "Changed the theme music" :colbert:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I notice that Blizzard Classic Games seems not to have uploaded a new episode in like 6 months which is sad because that was my favorite.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Yeah I can't remember the last time the original 4 were on together and it's just not the same. I fell off the ramble bandwagon when they changed from the acast+ sub and changed the format.

I don't think it's ever the original 4 anymore. It was good when they recorded a bunch of the complaint comments from people (Reddit?) as an intro when they made the change and made it out that people were mostly annoyed that they brought a woman onto the podcast.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I listen to a lot of the 5 live football daily podcasts. They are of varying quality, but the weekly football league show they do is really good ; they always have a few current pros and managers on, and everyone on there seems a lot more honest and down to earth than people who work in the EPL. You get some really interesting discussions, like last week Mark Bowen (Wimbledon manager) went into quite a lot of depth about how you need to balance getting a team out of the doldrums with the modern need for there to always be a 'philosophy' (which almost always means playing it out from the back). Highly recommend.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

algebra testes posted:

I notice that Blizzard Classic Games seems not to have uploaded a new episode in like 6 months which is sad because that was my favorite.

It moved to The Blizzard's own feed, but yeah, nothing since November
https://theblizzard.co.uk/podcasts/greatest-games/

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I've stuck with the ramble and i think they've all built up a great chemistry for sure, but that's just me.

Am I gathering Football Cliches is worth a listen? It's on my sub feed but I still haven't ever given it a try thanks to limited pod time.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

I still listen to the ramble because I drive so much; however, because they mix and match their line-up you do get the odd combination that just has absolutely no chemistry and those episodes can be so dry that I cant bear to listen to them struggle to get half an hours pod out. Pete is good when he has someone to bounce off of and Jim is good as a straight man, but when theyre together without Vish or Marcus to balance them out it is just tortuously dry.

Though its not really a strictly football podcast, I had given up on Athletico Mince because the one who isnt Reeves & Mortimer just isnt very funny and they do the same thing every episode, but its good if you listen to it every 2 months or so.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
I’m a ramble semi regular, but it’s under FW for me now. I can’t stand the new On the Continent, which was my favorite ramble when Marcus hosted. I’m not English so idk if I’m supposed to know and like the host but he sounds like a grandfather reading the script over his glasses with everything he says.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’ve still been on Football Weekly, and for general listening I’ve also added the Stadio/Wrighty’s House feed as well.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

only football podcast I listen to is notthetop20 because the championship is mint.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I don't think it's ever the original 4 anymore. It was good when they recorded a bunch of the complaint comments from people (Reddit?) as an intro when they made the change and made it out that people were mostly annoyed that they brought a woman onto the podcast.

Yeah, Donaldson did an AMA a while back and said they specifically wanted to avoid shows with just the original 4. His POV was basically that they spent all this time and effort to find great new team members, and that it'd be pretty lovely for them to be told that "oh actually there's still an old boys club once a week and you're not invited, sorry". So yeah, shows with just the original 4 are gone for good.

I've actually almost entirely dipped out of football podcasts, with no commute anymore I completely lost my podcast listening time and I've kinda got better things to do the rest of the time.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
The footy podcast I listen too because I need something to listen to during work.

Football Weekly is on the top of my list.

The Athletic Football Podcast: I only listen to the one that has Mark Chapman hosting and the Business of Sport one.

The Totally Football Show: I try to listen to the European Edition and the Thursday show. Monday show if I have time.

Tifo Football Podcast

BBC Football Daily: Only the Monday Night Club edition of it is really good. Full show is only online and the BBC Sounds app. Edited version is on the podcast feed. Sometimes the European Football edition too pending on panelist, topic and time.

On the Continent: Pending on panelist and time.

Set Piece Menu: Pending on the topic they are discussing. Currently on hiatus.

Sports Unlocked: Not really a football only podcast but usually covers football news.

Football Ramble is kind of out of my rotation these days unless I run out of other podcast.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I still listen to the Ramble, wish they'd do the classic lineup once in a while though.

Do NOT listen to that 'comedy' radio drama thing The Offensive they advertise all the time on the Ramble though, it is proper bollocks.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Eau de MacGowan posted:

Do NOT listen to that 'comedy' radio drama thing The Offensive they advertise all the time on the Ramble though, it is proper bollocks.

don't think i've ever listened to any other Stak shows, i don't even do OTC anymore much like someone earlier i feel like it's not in any way the same and usually really dull

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

Every show they advertise for Stak sounds aggressively unfunny and or stupid in a way that I truly can't fathom anyone going out of their way to listen to them.

Also lol at Barry wading into the women are hysterical talk

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Idk, I think I agreed with baz. Calling for that guys job when the team didn’t complain and apparently likes working with him seemed like… an overly sensitive reaction.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
I’ll listen to FW most days, The Athletic’s main football podcast, The Athletic’s Man Utd podcast and finally The Athletic Tito podcast. Sometimes I’ll listen to Football Cliches also but depends on the topic.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Brass Hand posted:

The Athletic Tito podcast.

What's the opinion on Vlahovic?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1516859072926126086

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I've been going through the back episodes of football cliches. It's one of the few football podcasts which the older ones aren't stale. Just go and look through the titles/guests and see which ones jump out.

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020

Jippa posted:

I've been going through the back episodes of football cliches. It's one of the few football podcasts which the older ones aren't stale. Just go and look through the titles/guests and see which ones jump out.

The Turkish Superleague XI one was great

nawilo_420
Nov 24, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
listened to todays pod and gently caress i could really do without JJBs contributions

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

nawilo_420 posted:

listened to todays pod and gently caress i could really do without JJBs contributions

Ah drat this makes me not want to listen. I literally have no idea why he's on the pod or what the producers think he adds to it.

Basically just parrots stuff off twitter, with no insight, and occasionally offers his tepid takes which people think are amusing I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

For those of us on the podcast wagon who is JJB?