Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

ok maybe something is going on there and let's not talk about her music career

How good or bad were they? Supposedly, she got an offer to open for Guns N' Roses on tour and had to turn it down because Will Smith was filming the Pursuit of Happyness, which turned out to be a big source of resentment.

https://www.gq.com/story/will-smith-november-cover-profile

quote:

Throughout the draft that I’d read, Smith had dropped in foreshadowing tidbits about marital acrimony. Jada, her husband writes, hadn’t wanted a traditional wedding ceremony but gave in to his pressure: “This would be the first of many compromises Jada would make over the years that painfully negated her own values.” Years later, Smith persuaded her to move into a massive 256-acre compound that she was dead set against purchasing. “Nothing good comes from spending your hard-earned money on a ‘family home’ that your wife doesn’t want,” Smith writes. “You are putting a down payment on discord and for years you will be paying off a mortgage of misery. Or, worse.”

The harsh reality for those who love a dreamer is that everything comes second to the dream. As Smith’s stardom grew, his wife would wake up many mornings in tears. At one point, she turned down an opportunity for her band to open for Guns N’ Roses so that Smith could continue shooting The Pursuit of Happyness. Things reached a breaking point by Jada’s 40th birthday, in 2011. Will had spent three years planning a private family-and-friends dinner in Santa Fe, where he screened a documentary he’d commissioned that chronicled her life and traced her family’s lineage back to slavery (and in which he tracked down a descendant of the white family who once owned Jada’s ancestors.)

When they got back to the hotel suite that night, Jada was nearly silent. “That was the most disgusting display of ego I have ever seen in my life,” Smith recalls his wife telling him. The two began fighting so loudly that a 10-year-old Willow, with whom they were sharing the suite, emerged crying with her hands over her ears, begging them to stop. “Our marriage wasn’t working,” Smith writes. “We could no longer pretend. We were both miserable and clearly something had to change.”

I totally forgot about her band until I read this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dispensing sagely wisdom re: "hard earned money" as it pertains to my purchase of a 256 acre compound.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i dont even know how to describe her music. i think it's some kind of metal, but she sings like it's an opera? also opening for guns n roses during that period...not sure that's so great...

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

i dont even know how to describe her music. i think it's some kind of metal, but she sings like it's an opera?

that actually sounds kinda cool, not gonna lie

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

that actually sounds kinda cool, not gonna lie

Rock operas are an actual thing.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

eh forget what i said i just looked it up again and it's just generic metally bullshit.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
I liked how much fun she was having playing her character on Gotham so shes cool in my book

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

eh forget what i said i just looked it up again and it's just generic metally bullshit.

Clean or harsh vocals?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Clean or harsh vocals?

clean. she sings like a singer. music is metal but not that hard. it's not bad per se, just generally unappealing.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Vegetable posted:

maybe i’m too young or something but i don’t know anything that chris rock has worked on. for a guy who seem to have done his best work exclusively in the 90s he sure is talked about like a living legend

I was prepared to lock this post only to realize that I’m just to realize how old I am.

Up until the 2010s, Chris Rock was THE biggest comedian in the world. He guest starred if not starred in one or more major films a year, he frequently had standup specials that were amongst the most popular of all-time, etc.

The closest comparison would be to Kevin Hart today (though admittedly not to that degree). He was the biggest comedian of his era.

He’s kept a relatively low profile since 2014 after “Top Five”. Outside of last year’s pseudo-sequel to “Saw” he ‘s had essentially guest roles if not outright cameos.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

punk rebel ecks posted:

I was prepared to lock this post only to realize that I’m just to realize how old I am.

Up until the 2010s, Chris Rock was THE biggest comedian in the world. He guest starred if not starred in one or more major films a year, he frequently had standup specials that were amongst the most popular of all-time, etc.

The closest comparison would be to Kevin Hart today (though admittedly not to that degree). He was the biggest comedian of his era.

He’s kept a relatively low profile since 2014 after “Top Five”. Outside of last year’s pseudo-sequel to “Saw” he ‘s had essentially guest roles if not outright cameos.

had had a comedy album where he did a song with fuckin' Biz Markie for chrissa

oh no

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

punk rebel ecks posted:

He did release another special in 2018, but yeah for the most part he's been pretty quiet. Dude's got enough money to not have to do anything anymore, which I'm sure is an awesome phase of life to be in.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Biohazard posted:

He did release another special in 2018, but yeah for the most part he's been pretty quiet. Dude's got enough money to not have to do anything anymore, which I'm sure is an awesome phase of life to be in.

He divorced in 2016 and had 2 tween kids so I think that played a part too.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Judd Apatow has never done anything good ever, thanks.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Eric Cantonese posted:

He divorced in 2016 and had 2 tween kids so I think that played a part too.

that'll do it.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

kntfkr posted:

Waht about that one where theres a manchild with arrested development

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

punk rebel ecks posted:

He also starred in Season 4 of Fargo.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

kntfkr posted:

Didn’t he relaunch Paul Rudd’s career a bit? I like Paul Rudd.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

Is season 4 fargo good? I really liked the first couple seasons and the third season was pretty good

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

runnypoops posted:

Is season 4 fargo good? I really liked the first couple seasons and the third season was pretty good

I liked it but I'm kinda undecided about whether it was a good role for Rock. He still had some good scenes though

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I can't imagine how much straightening Jada did, but I would absolutely believe that she straightened her hair enough to destroy it, and I wouldn't blame her for it either. Countess Vaughn had/has a similar issue, where her skin had bad reactions to wig glue so now she has missing hair & scalp discoloration.

It's just funny that that is one of the main issues that Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair raises, in which is he is beyond adamant about how destructive that is, and he goes out of his way to appear to support the women. And then he turns around and makes the joke that he did.

It must have been something he came up with on the spot, and he showed his whole rear end for all to see. Next year they're probably gonna run all jokes by some committee or similar.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

It's just funny that that is one of the main issues that Chris Rock's documentary Good Hair raises, in which is he is beyond adamant about how destructive that is, and he goes out of his way to appear to support the women. And then he turns around and makes the joke that he did.

It must have been something he came up with on the spot, and he showed his whole rear end for all to see. Next year they're probably gonna run all jokes by some committee or similar.

pretty sure they already do that, but comedians are gonna comedian, so they drop poo poo like that in there.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Next year, they should just go straight WWF and let celebrities hit each other with chairs and slam their rivals through tables.

OH MY GAWD! IT'S MARTIN SCORSESE'S MUSIC. WHAT'S HE DOING HERE?!?!?

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Eric Cantonese posted:

Next year, they should just go straight WWF and let celebrities hit each other with chairs and slam their rivals through tables.

OH MY GAWD! IT'S MARTIN SCORSESE'S MUSIC. WHAT'S HE DOING HERE?!?!?

I'd actually probably watch that.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I hate all the mealy mouthed "oh we're just gonna talk about celebrities and not world issues now????" posts. Bitch the world is dying can we take a few days to laugh at 50 year olds slapping each other then we can get back to destroying the planet.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Will should've come out and said the slap was for using such a dated reference.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
My favorite Will Smith moment is when he taught his kids financial literacy by reading them "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqMmuj4e5e8

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Bigger and Blacker is probably a top 5 of all time comedy set/special. Chris Rock's reputation is pretty much as bulletproof as Will Smith's on that alone.

Up there with Chappelle's For What It's Worth, Eddie Murphy's Raw, and Richard Pryor Live at the Sunset Strip.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 30, 2022

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Extra Large Marge posted:

My favorite Will Smith moment is when he taught his kids financial literacy by reading them "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqMmuj4e5e8

I read that and it was basically "start a business and hire smart people to make money for you" from what I remember.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

Sophy Wackles posted:

I read that and it was basically "start a business and hire smart people to make money for you" from what I remember.

Kiyosaki's a fraud. The one good thing you can take from that book (and it seems to be the main thing most people take from the book, thankfully) is that we could all stand to think more about how to use your money to buy assets that grow in value instead of just buying stuff. The rest of it is very badly dated real estate advice and borderline sociopathic ranting about the supposed shortcomings of the author's dad.

It's unfortunately still recommended frequently and cited by non-fraudsters as an eye-opener, so maybe I'm the weirdo.

EDIT: Here's a pretty good, if somewhat old, takedown of the book in case anyone is interested. https://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-...poor-dad-part-1

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

Extra Large Marge posted:

Jaden: instructions unclear, time to buy a white batman costume

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Robobot posted:

Didn’t he relaunch Paul Rudd’s career a bit? I like Paul Rudd.

oh yeah thank heavens for paul rudd. rudd and judd dream team

paul rudd was good in wet hot american summer but he's friends with judd apatow. the world could make due without him. there are other paul rudds out there

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

BBC article posted:

Rock has yet to comment publicly on what happened at the Oscars or Smith's apology.

However, tickets for his upcoming comedy shows have reportedly skyrocketed in Sunday's aftermath.

One live event ticketing site, TickPick, said on Monday that it sold more tickets the previous night than it did in the past month combined.

A spokesperson also told CBS that prices for an upcoming Rock show on Wednesday in Boston rose from $46 (£35.16) to $411 (£314).

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

afaik it was in the rehearsal

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

No such thing as bad publicity.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Every Chris Rock standup show is gonna start with a "Lemme check Will Smith isn't in the audience before I start" joke from now on

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

runnypoops posted:

I thought it was a big improvement over season 3, but I'm a sucker for circa 1950s mobster period trappings. Rock is alright, but there's a huge cast.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

kntfkr posted:

.there are other paul rudds out there

Name one. :colbert:

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Steadiman posted:

Every Chris Rock standup show is gonna start with a "Lemme check Will Smith isn't in the audience before I start" joke from now on

a good crowd pleaser and might get the audience excited that hey, maybe there really is another celebrity that might show up, after all, chris rock is on stage right in front of me! I've seen TV before! celebrities make cameros all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Paul Rudd. He’s a small engine mechanic in Gatlinburg, TN.