Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The best is when you see accounts with 0 followers retweeting.

this is because they will be Twitter famous one day, and it will be a real hoot when someone digs up their old hot take and then they get to be main character of Twitter for an hour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

post-collapse australia is going to be an interesting place because the government only has control around the coasts. a huge amount of the inland riverine farming country is owned and run by the sicilian and calabrian mafias

You can't just drop a hot claim like that and walk away, my goon.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
there's at least one wiki article i found on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honoured_Society_(Australia)

wiki posted:

A report in 2016 by Vice Media indicated that illegal activities continued to be profitable: "Between 2004 and 2014, the gang's members amassed more than $10 million [$7.6 million USD] in real estate and race horses in Victoria alone pouring money into wholesalers, cafes, and restaurants".[14]

A June 2015 report by BBC News discussed an investigation by Fairfax Media and Four Corners which alleged that "the 'Ndrangheta, runs a drugs and extortion business worth billions of euros" in Australia and that "politicians have been infiltrated by the Calabrian mafia".[15] The 2016 report by Vice Media reported that "a court found 'it was reasonable for police to suspect accused Melbourne Mafia boss Antonio Madafferi had put out a $200,000 [$150,000 USD] hit on a man he believed was providing information to [newspaper] The Age'".[16]

In February 2020, two individuals, said to be "multimillionaire fruit and vegetable kings" were alleged to be 'Ndrangheta "capos", having a relationship with the "secretive criminal organisation". The Sydney Morning Herald report specified that the two "are not accused of any crime in either Italy or Australia". The alleged information was obtained during investigations of other individuals during Operation Eyphemos in Calabria,[17] which "led to the arrest ... of 65 men for alleged mafia activities including extortion and political corruption in Calabria".[18]

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Trying to imagine the Aussie-Sicilian accent and failing utterly

a god damn idiot
Sep 7, 2006

Australia is one of the few places that a Calarbian could show up to and be the smartest guy in the room. It checks out to me.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Mola Yam posted:

sort of off-topic but twitter accounts like that fascinate me

just blasting out tidbits and takes all day every day to their 19 followers, all to zero engagement, ever

you don't have to tweet

it's like putting a message in a bottle and sending it out to sea. you have very little chance that anyone will ever find or read it, and even if they do it would be nearly impossible to know or make any difference at all, and it is all about the symbolic action. onto a single sheet of paper you fluidly wrote "only god can make the earth warmer," sealed it into a glass vessel, and then hurled it into the ocean. except on the internet. its the same symbolism

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

maybe the sky mercury will seed clouds to cool us down

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
no amount of insanely dangerous mercury thrusters will reach the amount of mercury dumped into the atmosphere by burning coal

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

SniperWoreConverse posted:

no amount of insanely dangerous mercury thrusters will reach the amount of mercury dumped into the atmosphere by burning coal

shh. you are not supposed to talk about this

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
perfectly NORMal matter

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought Australia's interior was controlled by a secret japanese cult armed with atomic weapons

munce
Oct 23, 2010

Rutibex posted:

I thought Australia's interior was controlled by a secret japanese cult armed with atomic weapons

that was just one sheep farm

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
nothing that already ITT doesn't already know but its always fun reading about arizona's impeding demise

https://www.circleofblue.org/2022/wef/arizonas-future-water-shock/

Mr. Barnesworth
Jun 28, 2008

I said GOOD DAY, sir!

Marenghi posted:

Is now the time the wealthy find out you can't eat money?

there's always more phytomass in the poors

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

show us ur biomass

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Xaris posted:

nothing that already ITT doesn't already know but its always fun reading about arizona's impeding demise

https://www.circleofblue.org/2022/wef/arizonas-future-water-shock/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZt7z7oJkKw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94pCgtOuEPU

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Thank gently caress
https://twitter.com/angeladewan/status/1509167274565189637

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Buddy, we couldn't keep warming to 1.5C even if we got all our energy from wind and murdered everyone and their cows

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

whew those sure are some load-bearing words in the last half of that sentence.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
Wow, nice doomer brained responses. Go back to doomscrolling in the doom covid thread. In this thread we're happy and we go outside regularly and don't kill dogs.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

10% might be a record but it's still pretty loving bleak for the timescale we are on

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Cup Runneth Over posted:

10% might be a record but it's still pretty loving bleak for the timescale we are on

We're going to shatter that record after the industrial collapse happens in 30 years

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Pussy Quipped posted:

this is because they will be Twitter famous one day, and it will be a real hoot when someone digs up their old hot take and then they get to be main character of Twitter for an hour

hey, everyone was a n00b once

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
A series of asterisks that increases in size until they match the sun's diameter

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

'emberclimate' is a little on the nose

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

lmao the report is built around a whole bunch of unrealistic assumptions, including that record coal use will drop to zero in 18 years through year after year of steep declines. Germany also gets plenty of praise.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you had to deal with the collapse would you rather do pnw or great lakes region?

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

net work error posted:

If you had to deal with the collapse would you rather do pnw or great lakes region?

neither of those locations will impact the taste of a bullet

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

neither of those locations will impact the taste of a bullet

mountain regions of PNW if done right might help you see them coming.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

A Bakers Cousin posted:

The best is when you see accounts with 0 followers retweeting.

Twitter isn’t real. I laugh at the idea that one should care how many people are dumb enough to follow, but I have 0 intention of leveraging my E-clout for cash and don’t see the point .

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

net work error posted:

do you like your air with a smoky aftertaste or no

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hey guys, good news! Crypto won't be so wasteful anymore! A *campaign* is gonna spend $5 million to address concerns about excess energy consumption!

https://www.techpowerup.com/293439/usd-5-million-campaign-aims-to-make-bitcoin-more-energy-efficient

Meanwhile, the next gen of nVidia GPUs are going to top out at ~600W (or more) and the 3090Ti more or less "requires" a 1000W PSU.

"Change the Code, Not the Climate" :jerkbag:

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

net work error posted:

PNW. It has a 1/3 chance of having The Big One this century or by 2050, I forget which. Your whole life goes up 10 feet and then down 20 and it's over soon.

The Yoop will slowly whittle away your village with things like:

Death by frostbite
Death by black fly bites
Death by turnip blight
Death by moose

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
nothing slow about death by moose

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Car Hater posted:

Death by moose

we should all be so lucky

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
The Great Playas

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I was seeing some video saying that northern vermont was supposed to be the most resilient place to climate change, so I'll have y'all know that I am going to be going there

later suckers

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Imagine all the new real estate opportunities once those big rear end lakes dry up. how often do we get brand new land? what a blessing!

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

TeenageArchipelago posted:

I was seeing some video saying that northern vermont was supposed to be the most resilient place to climate change, so I'll have y'all know that I am going to be going there

later suckers

Yeah have fun with that. I'm just gonna die while it's still easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The Great Playas

don’t hate the playa hate the grain