Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

It is wild to me that the RF5 bachelors vary from boy detective that seems a few years younger than you all the way to grown rear end man who owns a spa; but the bachelorettes are all around your character’s age.

It is criminal that Elsje isn’t a marriage candidate.

Anyway as for gameplay I am currently mainlining the story and it is kind of funny how dual blades and fists are far and away better than most other weapon classes. Just making GBS threads out damage and stunlocking enemies. I’m taking huge damage on hits and need to focus on crafting for a bit though because I need better armor.

For some reason the lvl 3 smithy unlocks ridiculously good armor to buy. Including a wind cloak for 72k with +385 def and +320 mdef. The weapons weren't too far out from what I could smith when I unlocked it but armor slot stuff sure was. It's a decent upgrade to shoot for if you are using one of the money exploits since it also has all the tier 3 tools.

v I gave up on the RNG gift stuff myself after spending way too many hours trying to get a heart pendant out of Terry and getting nothoing

Zeron fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Mar 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Easiest way to trivialize all the combat early in RF5 is just give shields to Darroch until he gives you one of the super hammers then hammer time everything to death, I picked up a +2200 atk hammer which is way ahead of anything.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

cheetah7071 posted:

someone at xseed thinks people don't want to marry moms. it's the only explanation for misasagi and simone

that person is a lunatic

You can't marry Simone because she is already married

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

cheetah7071 posted:

someone at xseed thinks people don't want to marry moms. it's the only explanation for misasagi and simone

that person is a lunatic

Playing RF4 blind for the first time, I thought "I'll romance Illuminata. She's the hottest and I can be a cool stepdad to Amber, who is a child."

Then I read the wiki. Fuckin' anime, man.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

It kinda makes sense to me to have youngish looking options considering a big part of their audience is gonna be kids themselves, but I cannot understand why they limit characters like Illuminata, or Misasagi, or Terry. I'd marry any of them in a heartbeat.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
If you read the sign at the little fishing dock at the bridge, you can play a special fishing mini game once per day for a chance to get extra rare fish.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
I am especially peeved that I cannot marry Misasagi because she is voiced by Erika Ishii, whom I adore. At present I'm waffling between Doofy Good-Natured Bathhouse Daddy and the knight.

I am surprised to find that I enjoy the personalities of many of the characters. They largely (though not entirely) seem more natural and less gimmicky/stilted/anime than the previous iteration. Lucy, Priscilla, and the older detective guy seem almost like normal humans, and Heinz's dad-joke schtick really gives me a sense of how he fits in socially. Hina is legitimately adorable, and even the beastie-girl and the child-captain are much more tolerable than I expected. And the old bakery couple are so wholesome!!

I feel like they really nailed the warm-and-friendly fantasy-of-a-small-town aspect of the interactions in this one.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think there’s datamined voice lines for Illuminata and Bado that indicate they were intended to be marriageable at one point but I can’t entirely remember

But yeah this has been going on since at least Frontier and 3 with Ganesha and Evelyn

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

RF5 accessory crafting info
https://www.reddit.com/r/runefactory/comments/trw41u/accessory_inheritance_mechanics_in_rf5_and_how/

First accessory will overwrite the effect no matter what then it's RNG whether the extras get carried over

I'm in the postgame and farming for rare drops from the final boss is driving me insane :frog:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gyoru posted:

RF5 accessory crafting info
https://www.reddit.com/r/runefactory/comments/trw41u/accessory_inheritance_mechanics_in_rf5_and_how/

First accessory will overwrite the effect no matter what then it's RNG whether the extras get carried over

I'm in the postgame and farming for rare drops from the final boss is driving me insane :frog:
oh gently caress thank you for this I had no idea that the first one overwrote the effect altogether

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Otoh the one time they let you romance older candidates in SoS the results were a bit.... :magical:

But yeah release an s version where we can marry the doc or the lazy chef.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I want to be Hina's other mom but the cowards won't let me

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I've been feeding holy spore to my monster companions in the hopes of giving their attacks status affliction properties, as was possible in RF4, but I haven't seen any of them inflict a status even once. Is it no longer possible to do this in RF5?

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

Otoh the one time they let you romance older candidates in SoS the results were a bit.... :magical:

But yeah release an s version where we can marry the doc or the lazy chef.

Would it be that hard for them to give the option to be 16 or 25? I haven't seen any dialogue that wouldn't fit yet, and they could have just cut the number of marriage candidates for the 16 year old and instead added romance plotlines to the actual adults, 1 for 1. Hell, make the romance options for women just be Sleepy Chef and Foxy lady and I think most people would be fine with just the two choices; for men, maybe switch out the little boy with the Blacksmith, but otherwise there seem to already be a couple of okay options.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the game we got shows that they were barely able to make even this, let alone soemthing with a bigger scope

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
RF5's biggest merit is that it exists at all and hopefully it allows RF6 to be made later on.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

cheetah7071 posted:

I think the game we got shows that they were barely able to make even this, let alone soemthing with a bigger scope

Yeah I’m tending to agree with you. The performance is rough despite it looking pretty mediocre and there are a number of quality of life issues. Combat feels stilted and unresponsive at times, moving furniture is just awful, and there’s no in game encyclopedia or journal (aside from a quest log that doesn’t really have much info).

I am assuming this series does not do huge numbers despite things like Stardew doing gangbusters, cause in many ways it feels like something trying to keep up with Stardew rather than the big series that inspired it.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Rune Factory was dead, Neverland had bankrupted in 2013, a year after RF4 released in Japan (a month after it released in the US and before it released in Europe).
It was only because Marvelous (who also makes Story of Seasons) snapped up the developers and brought them back together that RF4S and eventually RF5 came to be.
And that took seven years.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Which is a pity as RF4 is superior to Stardew in virtually every fashion, despite coming out years earlier.

I hope RF5 get's a PC release like 4 did as I think that would solve like 90% of the problems with the game.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Rune Factory 4 kicks so much rear end in terms of just....all it does well, it was legit disappointing when I realized that 5 was going to be 3D. If they insist on going 3D from here, that's fine--I think you can definitely improve from 5. But for the love of god get some second opinions on the romance options.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I swear they said one was coming. I would have put money on it not being that far behind the switch version but I think it’s something I dreamed up.

I love the PC version of 4.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I am assuming this series does not do huge numbers despite things like Stardew doing gangbusters, cause in many ways it feels like something trying to keep up with Stardew rather than the big series that inspired it.

I don't know about 5 but I remember XSeed announcing that both 4S and Friends of Mineral Town hit 100,000 units in North America not long after their releases. I think they also announced Pioneers of Olive Town hit one million worldwide but I don't remember if that was before or after it was free with Nintendo Switch Online.

MarcusSA posted:

I swear they said one was coming. I would have put money on it not being that far behind the switch version but I think it’s something I dreamed up.

I love the PC version of 4.

I can't imagine it not coming to PC since all the Switch SoS games eventually wound of there (including the Bamco Doraemon Story of Seasons game)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Shinjobi posted:

Rune Factory 4 kicks so much rear end in terms of just....all it does well, it was legit disappointing when I realized that 5 was going to be 3D. If they insist on going 3D from here, that's fine--I think you can definitely improve from 5. But for the love of god get some second opinions on the romance options.

There are datamined lines for Livia and one other character Laedia to have romance paths but it was cut for one reason or another. So my guess is either the game had to have content cut and that's just it. Or we might be getting more content as dlc/if an enhanced edition comes out.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

Nuebot posted:

There are datamined lines for Livia and one other character Laedia to have romance paths but it was cut for one reason or another. So my guess is either the game had to have content cut and that's just it. Or we might be getting more content as dlc/if an enhanced edition comes out.

Livia getting cut as a romance option isn’t a bad thing. Livia background spoiler: Just say no to little girls that are ancient dragons,

Yeah Neverland going bankrupt even though RF4 was the best selling entry certainly delayed things. I’d imagine the eventual Steam/PlayStation/Xbox releases of RF5 will ensure we get RF6 in a shorter timeframe compared to the decade long gap between 4 and 5.

As far as games not doing as well as Stardew number wise. Stardew does have the benefit of actual updates to the game to keep it more relevant as well as being on more platforms. That and Stardew isn’t an expensive game, so for a chill farming game it tends to be an easy game to justify a purchase (or two) of.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember some piece of dialogue telling me that monsters working my fields can clear my stumps/stones for me, but the monsters I have are, not doing that. Do I just need to wait patiently for a higher friendship level? or is there something I need to do.

Maguoob
Dec 26, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

I remember some piece of dialogue telling me that monsters working my fields can clear my stumps/stones for me, but the monsters I have are, not doing that. Do I just need to wait patiently for a higher friendship level? or is there something I need to do.

I’m not sure if they actually do clear the fields. They make the motions of clearing boulders or trees sometimes when I watch them, but I’m fairly certain they’ve never actually done so. My chicken workforce is all level 10ish friendship, so it shouldn’t be that unless it requires max to do so.

They water, harvest, and plant seeds just fine. Well they planted seeds once, but I said gently caress that because I don’t want random crops.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
maybe they just clear the ones that actually spawn in the field if you don't plow

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Has anybody figured out if you still need RF4S save data for the guest characters or if they got baked in with localization?

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

that's what Pioneers of Olive Town attempted to do and failed at :v:

RF5 is very much mechanically RF4S except being fully 3d instead of a 2012 3DS game ported to Switch/modern platforms. Performance is the biggest issue with the game, but can be alleviated if you are playing on an overclocked Switch or emulate the game in Yuzu or Ryujinx. Both emulators can run it consistently at 60 fps/interiors and ~45-60 fps/outdoors depending on hardware.

PooT and RF4S ended up coming to Steam so I wouldn't be surprised if RF5 gets a port in a 6-12 months. An added benefit of both ports and a future RF5 port is being able to unofficially transfer your Switch saves over to the PC versions. PooT is a straight file copy and RF4S is a checksum edit

Emalde posted:

Has anybody figured out if you still need RF4S save data for the guest characters or if they got baked in with localization?

You need to have any RF4S save file to get Doug and Margaret to join your RF5 town

Gyoru fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Mar 31, 2022

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Gyoru posted:

You need to have any RF4S save file to get Doug and Margaret to join your RF5 town
also they're not all upside, they count as villagers for the "raise everyone's happiness to level 5/10" quests for some inexplicable reason

this is just me whining about having to talk to Doug, also I'm definitely going to burn out and quit before I get any one person to level ten let alone everyone, this game is really one step forward ten steps back

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

lunar detritus posted:

Of all possible characters, why Doug? Who liked him!?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I picked up more Anime Farm 4 last night after I got home from work. Just some nice "grab my 3DS out of the drawer and lounge on the couch" cozy kind of gaming.

I've been running around like an idiot trying to remember where everything was. I dimly remembered the weird looking chef sells breads that teach recipes, but the guy wasn't manning the restaurant for multple days and I have no idea why.

I tamed a fairy! There wasn't enough space to name it "Tinkerhell" which was disappointing, so I went with "Tink."

And Dylas like me enough to party up with me and help me kill things! That was nice. I just had the Firefly Festival, which was kind of weird. The butler guy said I needed to ask someone to attend it with me ahead of time, so I added Dylas to my party and waited for nightfall... and yeah there were fireflies floating around but nothing in particular happened. I have a feeling I missed something important... Oh well.

I had to Google how to give him equipment. It was more straightforward than I thought it was. I think I have figured out what my main problem as with that volcano dungeon. I'm level 40 so... I shouldn't be underlevelled for it. Haven't checked what the suggested level for the place is. (Just checked; recommended level is 30 so I am definitely not.) I think the problem is my gear. My crafting is only like... lv 9 and I can barely make anything. My plan is to buy out Porcine's blacksmithing breads every day and craft as much stuff as I can, to get better stuff. And keep feeding Tink the fairy dust.

Question while I'm here! My lovely helpful farmhand monsters are "tired". They have black scribble thought bubbles over their heads. I tried taking some of them off crop tending duties to give them some relief, but the first set is still tired. :( Am I mistreating my farm hands? How do I help them?

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 31, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
At a guess, they wanted to bring back a romanceable character of each gender, but only dwarves/elves actually live long enough for the timeline to make sense? I got the impression that there was a lot of time between RF4 and RF5.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Silver Falcon posted:

I picked up more Anime Farm 4 last night after I got home from work. Just some nice "grab my 3DS out of the drawer and lounge on the couch" cozy kind of gaming.

I've been running around like an idiot trying to remember where everything was. I dimly remembered the weird looking chef sells breads that teach recipes, but the guy wasn't manning the restaurant for multple days and I have no idea why.

I tamed a fairy! There wasn't enough space to name it "Tinkerhell" which was disappointing, so I went with "Tink."

And Dylas like me enough to party up with me and help me kill things! That was nice. I just had the Firefly Festival, which was kind of weird. The butler guy said I needed to ask someone to attend it with me ahead of time, so I added Dylas to my party and waited for nightfall... and yeah there were fireflies floating around but nothing in particular happened. I have a feeling I missed something important... Oh well.

I had to Google how to give him equipment. It was more straightforward than I thought it was. I think I have figured out what my main problem as with that volcano dungeon. I'm level 40 so... I shouldn't be underlevelled for it. Haven't checked what the suggested level for the place is. I think the problem is my gear. My crafting is only like... lv 9 and I can barely make anything. My plan is to buy out Porcine's blacksmithing breads every day and craft as much stuff as I can, to get better stuff. And keep feeding Tink the fairy dust.

Question while I'm here! My lovely helpful farmhand monsters are "tired". They have black scribble thought bubbles over their heads. I tried taking some of them off crop tending duties to give them some relief, but the first set is still tired. :( Am I mistreating my farm hands? How do I help them?

For the first bit - you can get town events happening where a character is participating in some random thing around town. Once you finish that event, they'll go back to normal. I think Dylas will sell you bread if you bring him to the restaurant though? Pretty sure he works at the bread shop.

Firefly Festival and related things require a certain amount of friendship before someone will accept. Might have to confess to them first? Not uncommon in the first year to not be able to have someone join you.

For a cheap way to level up forging/crafting, mine iron and then make broadswords/small shields and upgrade them to level 10. You can use anything to do this; I would recommend turnip seeds since they're super cheap and can be bought in bulk. To make it less grindy, different items have different difficulty, and higher difficulty items will cost more RP per upgrade and give you more XP per upgrade. Grasses are great for this, as they have a pretty good curve in difficulty, with green grass being super easy and later grasses ramping up.

To restore RP, grow crops and cook them into dishes, then eat the dishes. Has the added benefit of leveling up cooking skill and cooked dishes sell for more money. Some great crops for this are turnips, spinach, and pumpkins, but there are plenty of other options.

Tired generally = low HP. You can give them food/potions to heal them, you can take them off duty and they'll regen slowly, or you can invite them to your party, cast cure like twice, and then they're back at full immediately.

Also, I think you have access to silver at this point? If you do, it's worth making better farming tools. There's a recipe for each increase in ore level (iron -> bronze -> silver -> etc.), and it makes farming much simpler.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Dirk the Average posted:

For the first bit - you can get town events happening where a character is participating in some random thing around town. Once you finish that event, they'll go back to normal. I think Dylas will sell you bread if you bring him to the restaurant though? Pretty sure he works at the bread shop.

Adding to this if you check your diary it should tell you if you're in the middle of a town event.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

At a guess, they wanted to bring back a romanceable character of each gender, but only dwarves/elves actually live long enough for the timeline to make sense? I got the impression that there was a lot of time between RF4 and RF5.

Margaret refers to decades passing in one of her lines.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Margaret refers to decades passing in one of her lines.

Eh, horse boy and poison lover could have been fine to use, too. Nothing saying people in their whole fairly unique situation couldn’t last a few extra decades.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Hell give me cantankerous granny Forte. Shrunk down and using her sword as a cane.

Other option could be human form Venti.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
just give us Porco again and don't explain why he looks the exact same, I want more Sainte-Coquille action

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
the Eating Contest is just stone unwinnable for a slow masher like me, even with good RNG I got 15.8k to Palmo's 17.2k