Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Johnny Joestar posted:

couldn't exactly tell if it was posted about after it came out, but NORCO recently released on the 24th and if the idea of a southern gothic point and click adventure with lush pixel art and ambience set in the relatively near future of louisiana's southern coast sounds cool to you then i can highly recommend it. has some fun extra elements to it, little minigames to break things up here and there so it's not entirely just clicking on items and talking to people. occasional bits of combat if you want to get into that, although it's not really a focus in any way.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1221250/NORCO/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXW3bQKmn0k

i feel like it's kind of rare to see weird little passion projects like this become notable these days so i'm more than happy to sell people on it given that it's currently 12 bucks for the next couple of days and also offers a demo of the first act of the game if you want to get a feel for it.

The art in this looks so good I'm going to try the demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ciaphas posted:

eh, I think in terms of "okay how the gently caress" it's like 0.1 las mulana at most

1 millilana

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

err posted:

i think progress in the demo carries over to the full game if you've done that when you buy it. so that helps

the atmosphere is topnotch

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Look up how you open the mountain door and how you go about getting the code for the mountain door. Even after you get the pages from the manual, interpreting them to get a sequence is insane. And the infal sequence is massive. And if you're not standing in the right spot, it's ignored

I get the true ending is "extra", but that is some BS.

The bosses were fun. The ones that were rage inducing were trivialized by using a different strategy. Only one of them I needed items for.

Extremely strong disagree, figuring out the final puzzle was the most fun part of the game for me. I didn't even have a problem with inputting it. I think people need to trust their own muscle memory on this one, it's too long to take it slow and careful without bungling something, but if you have the whole path drawn out on another screen or something it's really not too hard to just follow it automatically.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a Game Pass thread? I just got it because I wanted to go through GotG (having loads of fun, no regrets) and Maneater (SHARK) and will eventually get around to Forza. Just wanted to see what are the hidden gems on the platform. I'm downloading whatever looks interesting (Shredding, Unsighted, Infernax, Norco, Dodgeball Academia offhand) but really not sure where to start or get a list. I do understand that things get taken off eventually so maybe a list isn't helpful, but just looking for other recommendations that I might skip over.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Artelier posted:

Is there a Game Pass thread? I just got it because I wanted to go through GotG (having loads of fun, no regrets) and Maneater (SHARK) and will eventually get around to Forza. Just wanted to see what are the hidden gems on the platform. I'm downloading whatever looks interesting (Shredding, Unsighted, Infernax, Norco, Dodgeball Academia offhand) but really not sure where to start or get a list. I do understand that things get taken off eventually so maybe a list isn't helpful, but just looking for other recommendations that I might skip over.

current good games on GamePass include, but are not necessarily limited to:

Paradise Killer
Tunic
Zero Escape: The Nonary Games
Far: Changing Tides
A Plague Tale: Innocence
AI: The Somnium Files
Alien: Isolation
Bug Fables
Carrion
Command & Conquer Remastered
Dead Space
Deep Rock Galactic
Dishonored
Donut County
Doom
Dragon Quest Builders 2
Firewatch
Full Throttle
Gorogoa
Grim Fandango
Hades
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Hitman
Hollow Knight
Limbo
Mind Scanners
Outer Wilds
Prey
Project Wingman
Psychonauts
Stardew Valley
Subnautica
Superhot
Supraland
Morrowind
The Riftbreaker
Titanfall 2
Undertale
What Remains of Edith Finch
Yakuza

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
On the subject of Paradise Killer: Is the new content they added worth another playthrough for someone who already (I think) fully solved the case?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

GhostDog posted:

On the subject of Paradise Killer: Is the new content they added worth another playthrough for someone who already (I think) fully solved the case?

Nah it's really minimal

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Artelier posted:

The Xbox thread kinda doubles as a Game Pass thread. It doesn't really matter if you just use the PC side of it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
the trick is not caring, at all, about secret endings

err posted:

it is good. very classic look, and the writing is pretty impressive to me as well. I like it, although I'm taking my time through it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

finally

https://twitter.com/crowsx3/status/1509213814113382410

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

alright, i have a little time today, so I'm gonna go over the neat things that were shown in last week's future games show. This isn't a massive post like the other one, this is just the interesting stuff I saw

The Time I Have Left (2023)

A "time-driven escape adventure with [J]RPG elements set in a complex underground facility." You have 6 hours to escape the facility, and you might need more than one playthrough to pull it off. Info you learn can result in shortcuts, new abilities, and unique items. The combat is turn-based, but you can't actually harm the monsters (they still have a health-bar so I assume this just means they'll be scared off or something if you drain it). Looks like one of those flawed 7/10 games that some people will go to bat for for the rest of their lives.

Gun Jam (TBA)
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256879457/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1648227161
We've seen a couple of BPM/Necrodancer style shooters/action games, but they are relatively simple as far as the 'to the beat' aspect goes... what if there were different actions you had to perform on those beats? Yeah this one is for the hardcore music/shooter nerds I guess. Honestly, looking at the video, I'm trying to understand it... I guess the different colors might represent different weapons? I'm not sure. But it looks neat.

Turbo Golf Racing (TBA, Early Access)

The developer of When Ski Lifts Go Wrong is now working on a combination of Rocket League and Golf with 8 player matches.

The Outbound Ghost (2022)

If Bug Fables wasn't enough to satiate your Paper Mario addiction, The Outbound Ghost is your next fix. By the developer of Lootbox Lyfe (I've heard this is actually a decent Metroidvania despite the name), the visuals look cute, and yes it will have badges.

The Cub (TBA)

A platformer inspired specifically by the Sega Genesis adaptations of The Lion King and Jungle Book. It looks a little clunky to me, but so did those games, so this might scratch a particular nostalgia itch for people.

Vampire the Masquerade - Swansong (May 19th)
No screenshots because it's an Epic Store exclusive and their site is annoying with grabbing screens. This is a narrative game by the developer of The Council, so if you liked that game you'll probably be interested in their take on VTM. Otherwise I guess you can wait a year.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Quick heads up if you're upgrading Death Stranding to the director's cut; you need to export your game from the original Death Stranding before being able to load it in the Director's Cut. And to do the export you need to be in game, at a delivery station, and can't have any open orders, so I actually had to finish up a small order I was on a mission for before I was able to do the export.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

explosivo posted:

Quick heads up if you're upgrading Death Stranding to the director's cut; you need to export your game from the original Death Stranding before being able to load it in the Director's Cut. And to do the export you need to be in game, at a delivery station, and can't have any open orders, so I actually had to finish up a small order I was on a mission for before I was able to do the export.

Hahahahahahaha *wipes tears* Oh my

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Serephina posted:

Hahahahahahaha *wipes tears* Oh my

It really drives home the fact that the frustrating banality IS the main point of the game.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

But frustrating banality is bad?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

zoux posted:

But frustrating banality is bad?

It’s a game about America. The banality is good.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh it's bad on purpose, nevermind.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

explosivo posted:

:allears:

zoux posted:

Hideo Kojima is making Art in the form of video games and his stuff is always so fuckin' weird, I'm fascinated by it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

zoux posted:

now you're gettin it

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

zoux posted:

:911: :911: :911:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The directors cut is what, improved combat? More cutscenes? Runs better?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

pentyne posted:

quote:

DEATH STRANDING DIRECTOR’S CUT on PC includes HIGH FRAME RATE, PHOTO MODE and ULTRA-WIDE MONITOR SUPPORT. Also includes cross-over content from Valve Corporation’s HALF-LIFE series and CD Projekt Red’s Cyberpunk 2077. Stay connected with players around the globe with the Social Strand System™.

All copies of the game will also additionally include:
• “Selections From ‘The Art of DEATH STRANDING’” Digital Book (by Titan Books)
• Backpack Patches
• Bridges Special Delivery Team Suit (Gold)
• BB pod customization (Chiral Gold)
• Power Gloves (Gold)
• Bridges Special Delivery Team Suit (Silver)
• BB pod customization (Omnireflector)
• Power Gloves (Silver)

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

pentyne posted:

New missions, expanded areas, new weapons/vehicles/structures, minigames like a racetrack thing. I'm not totally sure what all has been added but some of the new delivery gadgets looked fun. There's DLSS now as well but they might've added that into the original one too? There's always been DLSS!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 30, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
If the Cyberpunk 2077 content isn't double jump legs and slick neon metal katanas I am not interested.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

explosivo posted:

New missions, expanded areas, new weapons/vehicles/structures, minigames like a racetrack thing. I'm not totally sure what all has been added but some of the new delivery gadgets looked fun. There's DLSS now as well but they might've added that into the original one too?

The original PC version always had DLSS.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

pentyne posted:

If the Cyberpunk 2077 content isn't double jump legs and slick neon metal katanas I am not interested.

it's a car that randomly clips into the ground or flies off into space

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mierenneuker posted:

The original PC version always had DLSS.

Oh oops, I only got my 30XX after dropping DS last year so I never got to use it before now :shobon:

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

Very cyberpunk, I approve.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Hwurmp posted:

Sold!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Finally, all those people who make bad ReShade filters and upload them to Nexus as "mods" can live out their fantasy in Death Stranding photo mode.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i find death stranding's gameplay very compelling and i don't think i've ever been able to fully articulate why

same brain disease that's got me hundreds of hours in SnowRunner I suppose

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just Cause 3 is this close to being an amazing game.

But between the stupidly low amount of health you have (thank you cheatengine!), the slightly awkward controls and the game constantly crashing to desktop and resetting my windows and browser size+location on my desktop it gets annoying really fast.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hwurmp posted:

Could be that your cock shows through your pants all the time?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ciaphas posted:

i find death stranding's gameplay very compelling and i don't think i've ever been able to fully articulate why

same brain disease that's got me hundreds of hours in SnowRunner I suppose

My issue with DS when I played it first was that it wasn't enough like Snowrunner and the pesky story and combat kept getting in the way of my infrastructure maintenance and one man delivery company.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Zedd posted:

Just Cause 3 is this close to being an amazing game.

But between the stupidly low amount of health you have (thank you cheatengine!), the slightly awkward controls and the game constantly crashing to desktop and resetting my windows and browser size+location on my desktop it gets annoying really fast.
The grappling hook movement hasn't felt right or as fluid since JC2 so yeah 3 & 4 kinda suck.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

My issue with DS when I played it first was that it wasn't enough like Snowrunner and the pesky story and combat kept getting in the way of my infrastructure maintenance and one man delivery company.
Seriously, if they got rid of the combat altogether and I didn't have to see any of the dumb cutscenes, I think I would like it. But I dread having to go through all that again.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Joe Man posted:

The grappling hook movement hasn't felt right or as fluid since JC2 so yeah 3 & 4 kinda suck.

Yeah JC2+Mods seems the pinnacle of the series so far.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Death Stranding is an amazing game.

I don't like metal gear solid because I don't like stealth games whatsoever. I didn't like the stealth elements in ds but I'd just ignore them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Apparently I'm the only person who actually liked all of Death Stranding.

It's an incredible game and the fact that simple traversal has a ton of mechanical depth to it is really ingenious.