Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Eh they're fat and soggy and not very fast but not terrible or anything. Just kinda disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I mean so is a DR650 and it's loads of fun.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I’d consider not maintaining that list at all yet, and instead keep a list of specific ways where your current bike lets you down. Some might not matter so much after another year of experience. The itch might not even arrive so soon, which would be ideal given the overconfident period that is pending.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 29, 2022

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
That's really good advice.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Invalido posted:

Speaking of yamahas, is there any reason not to keep the mt07 on the short list of second bike candidates?
I'll almost certainly stick with the cbr300r all of this coming season and ride it every chance I get but I know in my heart that the urge for something a bit more peppy will become impossible to resist eventually. It seems to come highly recommended, and I like that it's small and light though I've only sat on one and never ridden it. I also think it's ugly as sin but that's secondary at this point.

I loving love my MT-07 and don't regret buying it as my main, but I wouldn't recommend it as a second bike. I would get something far more dirt oriented or for crushing miles before I got another (practically) UJM

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I mean so is a DR650 and it's loads of fun.

Without knowing really anything about them, I've always assumed they're basically a much more road oriented DR650. "Fat and soggy and not very fast but not terrible or anything" describes a lot of dual sports that when given some upgrades in the right place make a pretty decent bike, it seems to be a baseline for the middleweight Japanese thumpers. That XT pictured looks pretty fuckin nice and I'd love to take it for a brap.

Interestingly, the DR and the XT660 are wildly popular in Colombia for some reason.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Generally speaking, I would ride the heck out of whatever bike you have currently until you find aspects of it to be genuinely limiting (eg ground clearance). Then see if you can fix those aspects until you find something else to be limiting (eg suspension), and so on. Even though your bike makes a pitiful 28hp, it will literally be several years until you're actually good enough to confidently ride that 28hp bike at the limit (excluding straight line obviously). Different people have different riding objectives, though, and maybe you realize you'd rather have a DRZ than a CBR, or you just want an MT-07 to make you highway commute less miserable, and that's fine too.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The underlying problem, if you want to call it that, with the 660 is that it's far, far too heavy. You can modify suspension all you like but if the bike is 170kg+ a motard it is not, sorry.

So if we're looking at just bikes in general, whatever that even means, it's a perfectly fine bike. If we're looking at motards it is crushingly heavy and has less than ideal geometry. If you want a motard for motard things you go get a DRZ or KTM, if you want a great middleweight bike you get an SV or MT, so where does that leave the 660? Out of production because nobody wanted one, that's where.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Remy Marathe posted:

The itch might not even arrive so soon, which would be ideal given the overconfident period that is pending.

I feel like I'm starting this riding season right in the jaws of my overconfident period. I can sense its presence but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Try not to think about it, as thinking about how much you suck drastically increases your chances of crashing; instead of being smooth and looking where you're going, you end up being timid and delayed in everything you do. This paradoxically is much less safe because while you sit there trying to decide what to do, the bike is still moving and you're pissing away time and space.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

The underlying problem, if you want to call it that, with the 660 is that it's far, far too heavy. You can modify suspension all you like but if the bike is 170kg+ a motard it is not, sorry.

So if we're looking at just bikes in general, whatever that even means, it's a perfectly fine bike. If we're looking at motards it is crushingly heavy and has less than ideal geometry. If you want a motard for motard things you go get a DRZ or KTM, if you want a great middleweight bike you get an SV or MT, so where does that leave the 660? Out of production because nobody wanted one, that's where.

Yeah it’s not what I would give a second look if I was comparing supermotos. I like naked street bikes and I like thumpers, so in that regard it appeals to me. I doubt it does anything different from my DR650 with the street wheels on it.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I'm coming up on a year of ownership in May and what I'm really itching for is a small displacement dual sport instead of my lil MT03 so I can braap around jeep track/gravel roads. I feel bad taking the MT there. But it's still heavily sellers market so i'm just going to cool it and take the total control clinic I'm thinking.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

FBS posted:

I feel like I'm starting this riding season right in the jaws of my overconfident period. I can sense its presence but I'm not sure what to do about it.

I'm struggling with this too right now, my confidence is Jekyll and Hyde since returning to riding. I'm either unexpectedly dragging a peg or making a mistake I spot as dumb luck for not ruining my day, and getting properly spooked, or I'm cringeing my way through a turn. My muscle memory has outperformed all expectations (I literally patted the air at first where my old tank sat 10 years prior) but I'm having a hell of a time getting my mind into the proper calm but duly attentive state for more than snatches of time. I've simultaneously been riding for either 7 years or all of 4 months.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

I'm coming up on a year of ownership in May and what I'm really itching for is a small displacement dual sport instead of my lil MT03 so I can braap around jeep track/gravel roads. I feel bad taking the MT there. But it's still heavily sellers market so i'm just going to cool it and take the total control clinic I'm thinking.

Rode this today

I would've learned to stop being poo poo at riding sooo much faster if I had learned on one of these instead of a succession of ever-faster sportbikes. Do as I say not as I do!!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hell yeah that’s exactly how I felt after a few weeks of riding a DR350.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Is this the “intermediate rider course” or something different? The basic rider course is what we use instead of MSF in CA. I kind of want to take some of their other courses, but a little expensive ($350+).

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

From what I can tell, the courses available at my local org:

Basic course: this is the two day course that lets you waive the licensing test if you also pass the written exam (they provide bike and helmet here) $359

Basic course 2: same as above but you use your own motorcycle and no classroom part so one day $159

Advanced riding techniques: half day course of just parking lot practice of same kind of thing as in brc I’m pretty sure, maybe harder stuff idk $225

Total control 1 and 2: this is an 8 hour course each going over more advanced stuff like trail braking, line selection, proper cornering and suspension set up - based on Lee Parks’ book. $295

Also totally separately, Champ School has a track day course a couple times a year not too far from here, but idk if I’m ready to plunk down over a thousand bucks or whatever it is.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Mar 30, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Haha yeah I am waffling on Champ School as well. I bet it’s awesome but drat, it’s almost 3,000 all-in. Aprilia is doing a “school” at Laguna Seca for “only” 850 so I might do that instead. Plus it will give me another chance to ride the RS660 as well as ride at Laguna Seca :unsmith:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Local government is sponsoring 75€ every year to go to any approved bike safety course and this year the local "Enduro basics" one was on the list, so I am looking forward to seeing what they put in there, only did road courses so far. Although one of those included a significant Trial bike portion which was also fun.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Taking my longest trip so far on Thursday, riding out into the Oregon desert fossil beds. Meeting my partner out there and we’ll tool around mostly in the car until we come home on Saturday.

While I’m deciding what scenic route to take (the first option I was considering included a metal grated bridge - no thanks), what super obvious thing am I forgetting to bring along?

Picked up an okay mobile tool kit and immediately moved all of it into a nice tool roll my partner got me as a “you bought a bike” present. I’ve got my Rev’it suit with thermal and rain liners. I’ve got my good gloves and boots. I’ve got a good phone mount for directions (no charger yet, but I want to do that right and I’m not going near far enough to run out of charge).

I just checked the oil. Tire pressure is good. Thousands of miles from my next service interval.

I’m sure that whatever is said I’ll be two hours in and think of something that’d be super helpful.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
For comfort stuff, a spare pair of gloves if you have, so you can swap if the ones you have gets too sweaty/ wrong temp.
A bottle of water or other preferred hydration easily accessible. Bring some candy bars/etc to munch on when you stop at a nice overlook.
A spare buff/balaclava for the same reason as the gloves.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Water
Food
Water
Food
Food
Rain shell, the rain liner for jackets is nice but it's basically a "poo poo, got to get home alive right now" stopgap. A soaked outer layer will get loving frigid in the wind even if you're not wet on the inside. A rain shell also knocks the wind off really effectively.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Taking my longest trip so far on Thursday, riding out into the Oregon desert fossil beds. Meeting my partner out there and we’ll tool around mostly in the car until we come home on Saturday.

While I’m deciding what scenic route to take (the first option I was considering included a metal grated bridge - no thanks), what super obvious thing am I forgetting to bring along?

Picked up an okay mobile tool kit and immediately moved all of it into a nice tool roll my partner got me as a “you bought a bike” present. I’ve got my Rev’it suit with thermal and rain liners. I’ve got my good gloves and boots. I’ve got a good phone mount for directions (no charger yet, but I want to do that right and I’m not going near far enough to run out of charge).

I just checked the oil. Tire pressure is good. Thousands of miles from my next service interval.

I’m sure that whatever is said I’ll be two hours in and think of something that’d be super helpful.

What Revit suit did you end up getting?

If you have a hydration pack of some sort from another hobby I'd recommend that, or pop into your local bicycle shop they should have a camelbak/osprey one to buy. It's nice way to carry water and having quick access to it.
Don't know what your ear protection set up is, but if you use foamies of some sort, toss an extra pair or two into your pack.

Sounds like a swell trip, have fun!

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

if the bridge is bridge of the gods I highly recommend it even if it is a bit sketchy in the wind lol. hawthorne bridge in pdx is about as bad but the view is not nearly as good

anyways enjoy, central OR rules

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I went with the Rev’it Sand 4 H2O. So far, so good in all Oregon climates I’ve been able to ride in with it. Haven’t done any crazy, soaking rain but I’ve been golden in the type of rain we usually get here.

The one time I went across the Hawthorne bridge on my scooter was the hardest my butt has puckered in my entire life. I’m going to just avoid grated bridges when I’m on 2 wheels for probably the entirety of my existence.

I do need a hydration pack and it’s been on my list of things to buy. Anything I should watch for anything besides “straps long enough to fit over my armored jacket?” Don’t mind waiting and getting a motorcycle specific one if it’s really worth it, but it definitely seems like something I should just be able to walk into REI and buy.

I’ve got extra gloves and such. I’ll be sure to bring them and a bag of extra ear plugs along. And snacks.

Dang. I need a tank bag, don’t I? Another thing for The List.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Man, the entry level secondhand bike market has gone insane. 300's are selling for almost same cost a the retail on a new bike. Even 5-6 year old bikes.

I had 2 friends asking for bike advice and the best answer I could honestly give them was "You might as well buy a new one".

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Geekboy posted:

I went with the Rev’it Sand 4 H2O. So far, so good in all Oregon climates I’ve been able to ride in with it. Haven’t done any crazy, soaking rain but I’ve been golden in the type of rain we usually get here.

The one time I went across the Hawthorne bridge on my scooter was the hardest my butt has puckered in my entire life. I’m going to just avoid grated bridges when I’m on 2 wheels for probably the entirety of my existence.

I do need a hydration pack and it’s been on my list of things to buy. Anything I should watch for anything besides “straps long enough to fit over my armored jacket?” Don’t mind waiting and getting a motorcycle specific one if it’s really worth it, but it definitely seems like something I should just be able to walk into REI and buy.

I’ve got extra gloves and such. I’ll be sure to bring them and a bag of extra ear plugs along. And snacks.

Dang. I need a tank bag, don’t I? Another thing for The List.

There's the backpack kind and a hip pack kinds of hydration packs. I know some people have pretty strong reactions to ~things on their back~ while riding so just something to think about.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
That reminds me that I should probably get a toolkit for my bike. It theoretically comes with one but it's not very useful to me when the hex wrench used to access it won't come off the frame!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Man, the entry level secondhand bike market has gone insane. 300's are selling for almost same cost a the retail on a new bike. Even 5-6 year old bikes.

I had 2 friends asking for bike advice and the best answer I could honestly give them was "You might as well buy a new one".

It's true and it's brutal. I wish I knew what all these bikes I see on Facebook are actually selling for.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

unimportantguy posted:

That reminds me that I should probably get a toolkit for my bike. It theoretically comes with one but it's not very useful to me when the hex wrench used to access it won't come off the frame!

Build one yourself. Get a tool roll and piece it together. Metric sockets on a 1/4” drive with extension or t-handle wrench. Needlenose and slip joint pliers, locking hemostat, screwdriver, utility knife, axle wrench, metric box wrenches, electrical tape, zip ties, wire, set of Allen keys. Couple pairs of nitrile gloves. I stuff some of my bits and tools in old socks. They’re contained and I have a rag that way.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

nice. I sold my cayenne pros and got some goretex dominator 3s to replace them. the H20s were also on my list but I managed to pare the list down enough to justify the dominator 3s

lol I hear ya, but bridge of the gods is absolutely gorgeous. maybe drive it in a car cause the view whips rear end. being that high up in the wind is definitely hairy though :newlol:

for hydration I’d just grab a cheap camelbak from REI if you really want something that’ll let you drink and ride (beer sucks in them, Do Not Try). really unnecessary though unless you’re riding off-road and even then, still unnecessary, but pretty handy. I have a kriega trail18 and I love it, but it’s expensive and doesn’t do anything better than a cheap camelbak will do besides fitting you better so yeah

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Build one yourself. Get a tool roll and piece it together. Metric sockets on a 1/4” drive with extension or t-handle wrench. Needlenose and slip joint pliers, locking hemostat, screwdriver, utility knife, axle wrench, metric box wrenches, electrical tape, zip ties, wire, set of Allen keys. Couple pairs of nitrile gloves. I stuff some of my bits and tools in old socks. They’re contained and I have a rag that way.

When I was looking at EDC ideas recently there were two for avoiding whole rolls of tape that I hadn't thought of: winding some e-tape around one of your wrench handles, and keeping a strip of duct tape on wax paper if you've got a flat case bottom or big pocket where that makes sense.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Remy Marathe posted:

When I was looking at EDC ideas recently there were two for avoiding whole rolls of tape that I hadn't thought of: winding some e-tape around one of your wrench handles, and keeping a strip of duct tape on wax paper if you've got a flat case bottom or big pocket where that makes sense.

Yeah, wrapping tape around handles saves a chunk of space. I just find a half used roll in my garage and smash it flat as well. Never thought of waxed paper, that should work well and then there’s probably a use for the paper too.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

I went to REI and got a high viz yellow camelback that fits over my jacket. It was with the running and bicycling stuff, so it’s nice and light and I won’t hate using it for other stuff.

When I’ve been riding 50 or so miles at a time I’ve noticed I’m pretty dehydrated when I stop, so I think it was worth it to prioritize that. Plus, I had my member rewards and a coupon, so it was about $40.

That’s right. I bought high viz with a coupon. I think I’m ready to Dad Bike.

I’ve been on Bridge of the Gods a couple times and it is, indeed, ridiculous. Highly recommend. In a car.

I have some waterproof poo poo kickers I got at the Harley dealership and will need some lighter footwear soon. I love my Rev’it stuff so much I’m tempted to get their shoes, too.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Geekboy posted:

When I’ve been riding 50 or so miles at a time I’ve noticed I’m pretty dehydrated when I stop, so I think it was worth it to prioritize that. Plus, I had my member rewards and a coupon, so it was about $40.

I’ve been on Bridge of the Gods a couple times and it is, indeed, ridiculous. Highly recommend. In a car.

I have some waterproof poo poo kickers I got at the Harley dealership and will need some lighter footwear soon. I love my Rev’it stuff so much I’m tempted to get their shoes, too.

hell yeah REI rules

nice! their stuff fits me very well. I do not have a set of their boots, but I love the boa enclosures my klim boots use so I'm sure I'd like their boots too. once I wear the klims out (offroad footpegs rule for grip but suck for boots) I'll probably get a set of their goretex boa high tops that are similar to the klims I have

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I’m currently dealing with this and am going to have to default to the “buy new” soon. A mechanic friend wanted to sell me a gorgeous 850cc Triumph for a reasonable price but it felt like too much bike for me currently. I’d quickly perish or worse, harm the bike

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I've been lucky enough to hit a sweet spot 3 times now on almost-new bikes from private sellers, I think somewhere in the first couple thousand miles is when people realize when they have a bad fit in some way and sell to cut their losses (or upgrade). If you find someone asking book value, you might still be saving the $2-$3k in dealer's fees and taxes on top of the sticker price. It's a sea of silly pricing for the most part, helps to have cash ready and check obsessively daily for when that random person posts something for a fair price.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Remy Marathe posted:

I've been lucky enough to hit a sweet spot 3 times now on almost-new bikes from private sellers, I think somewhere in the first couple thousand miles is when people realize when they have a bad fit in some way and sell to cut their losses (or upgrade). If you find someone asking book value, you might still be saving the $2-$3k in dealer's fees and taxes on top of the sticker price. It's a sea of silly pricing for the most part, helps to have cash ready and check obsessively daily for when that random person posts something for a fair price.

Yup, this is how I lucked into my MT03. 500 miles on the bike, perfect condition and I had no problem with paying 4500 (msrp is 4600).

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

right arm posted:

hell yeah REI rules

nice! their stuff fits me very well. I do not have a set of their boots, but I love the boa enclosures my klim boots use so I'm sure I'd like their boots too. once I wear the klims out (offroad footpegs rule for grip but suck for boots) I'll probably get a set of their goretex boa high tops that are similar to the klims I have

REI are anti Union arseholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap