Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

seiferguy posted:

Just booked an extended weekend in Milwaukee for a wedding in July.

Milwaukee goons: anything you'd recommend? Hypothetically I've only got a few days to go to a couple of things as my Saturday will be filled with going to a wedding, and Sunday will be an afternoon Brewers game but will have the evening to do stuff. I also have Friday and most of Monday to do whatever. Also, should I rent a car or not? Can't tell if this town is one you're meant to drive around.

Meant to post this last night, but the market in the Third Ward is great for browsing and food:

https://milwaukeepublicmarket.org/

Even if you just walk down to the Lakefront and admire the architecture of the place, the Milwaukee Art Museum is a great way to spend a half day:

https://mam.org/

If there are any soccer games on, or you just want to enjoy a drink in the warm weather Nomad is a great soccer pub on Brady Street:

https://www.nomadworldpub.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Freaquency posted:

:hmmyes: We should solve the supply chain problem by just making the cars gently caress

This is how you get Transformers.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

My Pixel 2 is dying. It cannot hold a charge for more than a few hours, doing nothing. I think it's time to upgrade. Pixel 5a or Pixel 6? Or do I venture into the dark side and purchase an iPhone??? Please share your phone thoughts&prayers with me.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My Pixel 2 is dying. It cannot hold a charge for more than a few hours, doing nothing. I think it's time to upgrade. Pixel 5a or Pixel 6? Or do I venture into the dark side and purchase an iPhone??? Please share your phone thoughts&prayers with me.

I have a Pixel 6 and it's pretty great.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

House passed inspection.

Roofs got five years, there’s a gas line under the deck for the grill that needs replaced, one wood panel on the chimney needs replaced, windows have some problems with seal and will need to be replaced eventually. I’m going to liberally murder some english Ivy and probably cut down some trees.

But house is dry, wiring is good, hot things are hot and cold things are cold. Pest was negative.

Needs some love but she’s sturdy.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

3 DONG HORSE posted:

My girlfriend likes her Pixels but I'm a Huawei man. Yes I have sold my filthy soul and even filthier phone image storage to the Chinese. I'm happy because my provider was hassling me constantly saying my phone was gonna stop working when they switch off the 3G but it never did. Or else they haven't actually done that yet.

Although apparently new Huawei phones are barred from google apps and hard to get, so that sucks. The one I have was made before that happened so it has full google play functionality. Shame because you could get a high end phone for 200 bucks or less from them that was very high quality.

The thing about Pixels is that my girlfriend had the exact same problem as you and her brand new one is starting to do the same thing. Their batteries are trash apparently, which in this age of non-replaceable batteries basically makes your phone a rental.

Whatever you do, don't get an iphone. Google or Samsung is probably the way to go.

e: I just looked up 'best midrange phones' and apparently a midrange phone is now anything under about 800 or 900 dollars I mean what the gently caress

MaximilianK posted:

The "stroke" was in 2019. Left femoral head has multiple fractures with a 3mm depression. Surgeon said, "hip replacement in 20 years." I'm okay with those odds.

Haven't gotten a brain scan in while but my last CT scan was pre stroke 2018. I had a .7 BAC. Guess how the "stroke" happened.

friend, I think your stroke may be ongoing

Play fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 30, 2022

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Play posted:

Whatever you do, don't get an iphone.

Why do you say that? I mean besides the whole bubble cult weirdness.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

https://youtu.be/J8TqhBIEbWA

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 30, 2022

Play
Apr 25, 2006

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Why do you say that? I mean besides the whole bubble cult weirdness.

Overly expensive, more of a brand fashion statement than true value which is the kind of thing I despise, Play store is better and has more options than app store, iTunes sucks, lack of customization options and iron grip over what you're allowed to install on your own phone, other anti-consumer practices, no 3.5 mm headphone jacks, less powerful and fully-featured than much more affordable phones, etc.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Play posted:

Overly expensive, more of a brand fashion statement than true value which is the kind of thing I despise, Play store is better and has more options than app store, iTunes sucks, lack of customization options and iron grip over what you're allowed to install on your own phone, other anti-consumer practices, no 3.5 mm headphone jacks, less powerful and fully-featured than much more affordable phones, etc.

Interesting. I did not know a lot of this. From reading reviews, you'd think it was the epitome of perfection.

The main reason I'm not into Apple is because I used to work on Apple Maps (:laffo:) and the cult at that place was weird as hell.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

iPhone is the only piece of Apple tech I have and I like it. I just got a new SE 3 a few weeks back since I liked the form factor of my old iPhone 8 (Mainly the size and it still has the home button). They’ve been good for me and are pretty idiot-proof. The battery on my old one was needing a replacement after 4~ years, which is about the lifespan I’ve ever gotten out of any cell phone, but I just upgraded to the new one so I don’t have to worry about anything for a while.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

T-Square posted:

Hey Tabletop nerds, what’s a cool fun little dice or card game for somewhere between 3-6ish people that I can chuck in a small bicycle pouch under my seat and bust out at a beer garden table

Love letter is a good quick anytime card game. A little bluffing a little luck and the rounds are super fast so you’re not committed for any duration really

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love my iPhone way more than any other phone I’ve had.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Play posted:

lack of customization options and iron grip over what you're allowed to install on your own phone

Out of curiosity, is there a specific lack of options you're referring to? The reason I ask is "lack of customization" is what I always hear as the most common criticism of iPhones for years, but I rarely hear how they are so limited compared to other alternatives. I have a bunch of friends and family (Include a bunch who worked for Motorola and got phones/upgrades for free basically at will) who basically said that for years, but they've all gone to iPhones in recent years. The general consensus I get from most people is they never fully utilized all the touted customization aspects of other smartphones, switched to iPhones, and usually say "they simply work" and have no major qualms about the change (Or have ever gone back to what they had before).

The only specific issue I ever recall was one crazy uncle complaining that iPhones couldn't easily access whatever illegal hockey streams at some restaurant while his Android (I don't recall which specifically, this was 5-6 years ago and we all still had iPhone 5 or 6 variants) could pull them up from some Russian not-Reddit app or whatever it was without an issue.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fartknocker posted:

Out of curiosity, is there a specific lack of options you're referring to? The reason I ask is "lack of customization" is what I always hear as the most common criticism of iPhones for years, but I rarely hear how they are so limited compared to other alternatives. I have a bunch of friends and family (Include a bunch who worked for Motorola and got phones/upgrades for free basically at will) who basically said that for years, but they've all gone to iPhones in recent years. The general consensus I get from most people is they never fully utilized all the touted customization aspects of other smartphones, switched to iPhones, and usually say "they simply work" and have no major qualms about the change (Or have ever gone back to what they had before).

The only specific issue I ever recall was one crazy uncle complaining that iPhones couldn't easily access whatever illegal hockey streams at some restaurant while his Android (I don't recall which specifically, this was 5-6 years ago and we all still had iPhone 5 or 6 variants) could pull them up from some Russian not-Reddit app or whatever it was without an issue.

Just like Apple computers (where it's an even bigger problem), Apple gets to decide exactly what you can and can't put on your phone and how you can use it. You can't sideload apps, you can't change launchers to customize the way your home screen and various apps display. The App store is a lot more restrictive than the Play store and has way, way less apps available. For example, it doesn't have my favorite audiobook app, Voice, and loading audiobook files onto an iphone is a huge pain in the rear end and has to go directly through itunes period, where it will be categorized as an incredibly long song and will be difficult to find.

It's got it's crappy iMessage system where if you change to an andoid phone all your previous messages are locked away, also it doesn't message android phones properly which is partially designed to produce FOMO in teens and people with teen brains. iTunes also sucks big time as I mentioned.

Personally I've never had a phone not work so saying it 'just works' isn't a super convincing argument, to me.

That being said, the way they are ridiculously overpriced and more of a status symbol for many people is the thing I dislike the most. I hate status signaling bs a whole lot, and it's not just a coincidence or because they're overly expensive it's how they market these things.

Nothing against people that love them, I do agree they take great photos and there are some things about the platform that are good but it's very much not for me overall.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

I used to use an Android phone because I had “freedom to put whatever I want on it/do what I want with it” but that pretty much was only changing the skin or w/e they call it so I just got an iPhone after my Pixel 3 died. This device is for sending texts and shitposting on SA, I don’t need to be able to sideload apps for that.

Also I don’t think anyone has had a reason to use iTunes in years??? I know that I’ve never had to touch it to use my phone.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I thought iTunes didn’t even exist anymore.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Samadhi posted:

If there are any soccer games on, or you just want to enjoy a drink in the warm weather Nomad is a great soccer pub on Brady Street:

https://www.nomadworldpub.com/

Tell Jordan I say hi :v:

I went out and grabbed Coup and they had a tin of Tinderblox at the checkout so I grabbed that too

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Play posted:

It's got it's crappy iMessage system where if you change to an andoid phone all your previous messages are locked away, also it doesn't message android phones properly which is partially designed to produce FOMO in teens and people with teen brains. iTunes also sucks big time as I mentioned.

Personally I've never had a phone not work so saying it 'just works' isn't a super convincing argument, to me.

That being said, the way they are ridiculously overpriced and more of a status symbol for many people is the thing I dislike the most. I hate status signaling bs a whole lot, and it's not just a coincidence or because they're overly expensive it's how they market these things.

I've never heard of iPhones having a major issue sending a text to non-iPhones, other than stuff like some emojis not loading or little crap like that. I had one friend with an early Galaxy whose texts sometimes were received twice, but that was it. Admittedly, I don't keep up on tons of tech stuff, so it could have been a huge widespread issue between iPhones and other stuff and unless it got posted here I'd never have know.

The sentiment about them 'just working' is more a general sense I've gotten from people who switched to iPhones from other phones, like I how I called them idiot proof before. Generally, people liking them for being simpler to use or less difficult to gently caress up than other phones has been a common theme.

I do agree they are somewhat overpriced, but I'm also someone who doesn't get the newest phone every single year. I've ended up upgrading every 4 years mostly by coincidence, so the difference between $600 and $850 or whatever over that amount of time is pretty minimal to me. I don't think anyone likes the insane Apple fans who hold them up as a status symbol and base their life around them, but there's plenty of fanbases like that so meh.

Freaquency posted:

I used to use an Android phone because I had “freedom to put whatever I want on it/do what I want with it” but that pretty much was only changing the skin or w/e they call it so I just got an iPhone after my Pixel 3 died. This device is for sending texts and shitposting on SA, I don’t need to be able to sideload apps for that.

Also I don’t think anyone has had a reason to use iTunes in years??? I know that I’ve never had to touch it to use my phone.

Yeah, that's a very concise way to sum up the "just works" thing. For the majority of stuff, using common apps like YouTube or Retro Bowl or whatever, it'll mostly be the same. If you get something extra out of another device, that's great, but I would question how much the average person will get out of sideloading (I literally had to look up what that meant) or a lot of those other issues.

For iTunes, I solely use it to backup my phone and transfer music from my computer. For those basic tasks, it's fine.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I still have my Samsung Galaxy 8+ because MST is just super convenient. I also have a custom launcher, 3.5" jack and an SD card. Apple can suck it.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I have a Pixel 4a 5g and can vouch that it is good.

e: That said I loved my Pixel 2 as well for as long as it lasted. Honestly, they could just stop making new phones forever and just mass produce any Pixel to meet demand and I'd be a happy guy.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

fartknocker posted:

I've never heard of iPhones having a major issue sending a text to non-iPhones, other than stuff like some emojis not loading or little crap like that. I had one friend with an early Galaxy whose texts sometimes were received twice, but that was it. Admittedly, I don't keep up on tons of tech stuff, so it could have been a huge widespread issue between iPhones and other stuff and unless it got posted here I'd never have know.

It's a Huge loving Deal that I get an iPhone because I'm ruining my friends' group texting Experience (lmao)

Currently deciding between iPhone SE and Pixel 5a tho. Probably gonna sleep on it. Both seem good in their own ways. I've decided I don't need Peak Performance and Top Cameras at this stage in my life.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's a Huge loving Deal that I get an iPhone because I'm ruining my friends' group texting Experience (lmao)

Currently deciding between iPhone SE and Pixel 5a tho. Probably gonna sleep on it. Both seem good in their own ways. I've decided I don't need Peak Performance and Top Cameras at this stage in my life.

So many iPhone people bitch about just literally having a different color text box from non-iPhone users and treat it as an inconvenience on par with having to translate the text from Latin.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Disgusting green texters gtfo outta my convos

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

swickles posted:

So many iPhone people bitch about just literally having a different color text box from non-iPhone users and treat it as an inconvenience on par with having to translate the text from Latin.

:psyduck:

Really? That’s it? People are loving stupid.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I need to get a new phone too and I definitely considered the new Razr for entirely nostalgic reasons. It was my first cell phone at the rip old age of 20 since I didn't really feel like having one before then, even though my grandma called campus cops because I forgot to call her from my dorm phone to let her know I wasn't going to come up for the weekend.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Nah, the group texting features are brutal if you add an android person. It starts next text chains etc. it’s legitimately annoying at times but I don’t have many Android folks in group chats luckily

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

T-Square posted:

Tell Jordan I say hi :v:

I went out and grabbed Coup and they had a tin of Tinderblox at the checkout so I grabbed that too

I haven't been to Nomad in years, and I only went when I was visiting friends in Milwaukee, so not enough to be a regular.

Still a great time every time I went

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Swick apparently a lot of NFL coaches are currently downtown having dinner on clematis. Kinda neat!

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
How do I tell if blue cheese has gone bad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

T-Square posted:

Hey Tabletop nerds, what’s a cool fun little dice or card game for somewhere between 3-6ish people that I can chuck in a small bicycle pouch under my seat and bust out at a beer garden table

I'm late to the party but check out Guillotine. You get to compete to see who can collect the most valuable heads.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Lol Eric Church cancelled a sold out show so he could go to the Duke UNC game and people are piiiiiiiissed

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Leperflesh posted:

I'm late to the party but check out Guillotine.

I haven’t had the chance, but I feel like I’ll get around to it someday.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Amy Pole Her posted:

Nah, the group texting features are brutal if you add an android person. It starts next text chains etc. it’s legitimately annoying at times but I don’t have many Android folks in group chats luckily

Personally, I really hate iPhone users who use the react buttons in a group chat. I’m have an iPhone, but I still get a bunch of “so and so liked your message”. It is extremely annoying.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

On Andorid, Textra turns those texts into little smiley faces beneath the target text. I still get a notification about it though. It used to be worse...I used to get an actual text that said "so and so liked your message"

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Oscar Isaac is an incredible actor. Moon knight is really fun

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Joey Freshwater posted:

Lol Eric Church cancelled a sold out show so he could go to the Duke UNC game and people are piiiiiiiissed

Pour one out for Foochs for getting dunked on by Spencer Hall about it

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My sister is an Android user that married into an iPhone family and lasted only a month with an Apple product before switching back to a Pixel. We got her a new Pixel 6 for her birthday and she enjoys it.

One thing I did notice is how there seems to be a lag messaging between iPhone & Android systems. I was in the same room as my sister & her husband and we sent each other a group text. I'd receive my brother-in-law's text immediately while my sister's response would literally take up to 5 minutes.

One downside with iPhones is there is no CivTAK/ATAK available. ITAK 2.0 has been teased for over a year now but I don't think there's going to be a civilian version available soon.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Bird in a Blender posted:

Personally, I really hate iPhone users who use the react buttons in a group chat. I’m have an iPhone, but I still get a bunch of “so and so liked your message”. It is extremely annoying.

This is a new feature in Snapchat and we predominantly use that as our group messenger for whatever reason and not only do you get a notification that someone reacted to one of your messages or snaps, but you also get a notification any time someone reacts to anyone else’s snap or message. I loving hate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Amy Pole Her posted:

Oscar Isaac is an incredible actor. Moon knight is really fun

oh poo poo I didn't know it was out yet thanks sir

As a droid user I often receive group texts as individual texts for some reason